• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Terrorist threats in France

dandagenais

Time of past OR future Camino
Done: SSJDP to Santiago 811km, Nov./Dec. 2013
Plan: LePuy route July 1, 2018
I was nervous about leaving, but now with the extended high security warning by France government, and all I read on this today and yesterday, I am wondering if it is a good idea?? I am coming from Canada, landing in Lyon on Thursday. I am not worried about the road itself, but Lyon Airport and TGV,....

What do you people think? Is it still a good idea to go right now?

Thanks!!
dan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Dan

It is really up to you, though in my opinion if the threat stops us from carrying on with our lives then the terrorists have won. These threats haven't stopped me from traveling at all. I figure that being in the wrong place at the wrong time is pretty remote. You are more likely to get run over or have a car accident in Canada.

Buen Camino

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dan - I live in France and I totally understand your concerns. It feels as though every day our news is full of one tragedy after another. My husband said today after I expressed my own fears... consider instead how many terrible road accidents there are... are you afraid to go for a drive? And he's right of course as is @Davey Boyd.

I wish you (and everyone) safe travels... and lots of peace would be good too.

I would not let the almost zero chance concern you for a moment.
These are all isolated attacks that occur once and are confined to a particular time and place. You would have to be there at the precise time and place.

The object of the evil people who do these things is to scare good people into changing their lives.
Do not let them succeed.
Do the things that you enjoy without fear of the barbarians

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I understand your concern I really do. Especially now with the sheer randomness of the recent attacks. But please do not let this stop you from coming.
Like Grayland said : we cannot and may not let evil people decide how we lead our lives. We are better and stronger human beings.

You are all right, and that is the way I was thinking... when you have children still at home, and look at them at night, you then run all sorts of things in your head... Leaving tomorrow and this is really bugging, which usually it shouldn't... I know it is because of my son's presence in my life ... But, I will go anyway, as I do think as all of the above.... Thanks so much for those nice words, they do re-assure me, and I think that's all I needed.
So unfortunate that we should have to feel this way though.. Thanks again for the encouragement!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Make sure you tell your son how much you love him before you go. Make sure he knows that life is full of love and great opportunities and we have to reach out, sometimes with risk, to seize our dreams.

It is, strangely, a teachable moment.

Buen camino.

Make sure you tell your son how much you love him before you go. Make sure he knows that life is full of love and great opportunities and we have to reach out, sometimes with risk, to seize our dreams.

It is, strangely, a teachable moment.

Buen camino.
Heu... thanks, but that's not what I wanted to hear!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was nervous about leaving, but now with the extended high security warning by France government, and all I read on this today and yesterday, I am wondering if it is a good idea?? I am coming from Canada, landing in Lyon on Thursday. I am not worried about the road itself, but Lyon Airport and TGV,....

Thanks!!
dan
I don't think that you should cancel your trip. I drove to Dublin from Barcelona (1200km through France) It was just 3 days after the Nice tragedy and although there was a high visibility of security this was at the ferry port only. I found it to be reassuring rather than threatening.

Heu... thanks, but that's not what I wanted to hear!!

:)
It's an insurance policy... ensuring that you have set the stage for a nice camino. And when you get home, you'll have great stories to share with your son about how wonderful the world is.

Could there be a better way to show our support for the French than to go via France to a Camino?
If we will but screw our courage to the sticking place then the views of those who espouse tolerance will emerge victorious.
Gerard
@gerardcarey :
I am flying to Paris and then to Pau in September, then walking for three or four days on the Voie d'Arles to join the Camino Aragones. I am looking forward very much to the walk into and through the Pyrenees.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@gerardcarey :
I am flying to Paris and then to Pau in September, then walking for three or four days on the Voie d'Arles to join the Camino Aragones. I am looking forward very much to the walk into and through the Pyrenees.
How I would like to be doing likewise. The Aragones is high on my list also.
The station at Canfranc has for some reason been continually on my mind since childhood when I first saw images of the deserted station.
Good travelling and Buen Camino!
Regards
Gerard

A month to departure time today. My wife is very concerned about all of this and me going on my own... But we cannot live our lives in fear... Buen Camino and let's not allow hatred and madness to prevail.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Make sure your pocket knife is short and within the limits. I caught a ride into Spain from France for my last camino and was stopped at the border by customs. They searched the car and confiscated the pocket knives since they could not find anything else...

Make sure your pocket knife is short and within the limits. I caught a ride into Spain from France for my last camino and was stopped at the border by customs. They searched the car and confiscated the pocket knives since they could not find anything else...
When was that, 30 years ago? Today are no 'customs' between France and Spain, as both countries are part of what they call "European Union."

That was October last year, things have changed a lot my friend. I was traveling from Marseille to Madrid . The customs people will setup barricades on the expressways and stop whomever they want. I live in south France and travel that way often.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yep, was on train from Naples Italy to Paris last year. Train stopped at border and customs police came on. Checked few bags and all passports.

I suspect more border checks will happen due to the recent events.

Also outside of Seville I have seen road checks by police. Stopped cars and buses and searched them. Recently as last week!

Take my word for this or not. They don't ask for your knife size. They simply ask that you step away from your bags and search them, it is not a very nice experience.

Last edited:
I am sure you are right and I am wrong. Where is the pleasure of filling fellow pilgrims with unrealistic fear of carrying a pocket knife?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am sure you are right and I am wrong. I can see why you live in France.
I was trying to give some simple advice, please don't take this in the wrong direction. I live there because I can, period.

I remember that their captain called in to ask about my walking staff because it had a metal pointy end that could be used as a weapon and he was considering confiscating it. Things are changing. Looking back now it was kind of funny but I assure you it was not at that moment in time.

I was trying to give some simple advice, please don't take this in the wrong direction. I live there because I can, period.

I remember that their captain called in to ask about my walking staff because it had a metal pointy end that could be used as a weapon and he was considering confiscating it. Things are changing. Looking back now it was kind of funny but I assure you it was not at that moment in time.

I am sure you mean well around your warnings. I just have a hard time seeing how the authorities would take away a pilgrim's pocket knife.

"I live there because I can, period." I rest my case.

I am sure you mean well around your warnings. I just have a hard time seeing how the authorities would take away a pilgrim's pocket knife.

@pilgr - as he stated in his earlier post, @ortemio did indeed experience this at the border between France and Spain. Perhaps this information might help you to understand the background to this - http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affair...en/reintroduction-border-control/index_en.htm - as explained, border controls between some EU countries were temporarily reintroduced late last year, and in some cases they remain. Unfortunate and - we hope - short-lived, but real enough. This is not about creating fear, it's just reporting on what is currently the case in some areas, so visitors are not taken by surprise if they encounter such temporary controls.

And to the OP @dandagenais - I strongly support all those who have responded with encouragement - yes, do go, and buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ortemio's point was just that you shouldn't be surprised if border security is more rigorous than you expected. Do whatever rethinking you think is appropriate.

Ortemio's point was just that you shouldn't be surprised if border security is more rigorous than you expected. Do whatever rethinking you think is appropriate.

Actually, I don't agree with your views. (I can say that, can't I monitor? or do we live in an Orwellian world with this blog too?)

@pilgr - as he stated in his earlier post, @ortemio did indeed experience this at the border between France and Spain. Perhaps this information might help you to understand the background to this - http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affair...en/reintroduction-border-control/index_en.htm - as explained, border controls between some EU countries were temporarily reintroduced late last year, and in some cases they remain. Unfortunate and - we hope - short-lived, but real enough. This is not about creating fear, it's just reporting on what is currently the case in some areas, so visitors are not taken by surprise if they encounter such temporary controls.

And to the OP @dandagenais - I strongly support all those who have responded with encouragement - yes, do go, and buen camino!

Thank you GettingThere for the link. Explains it quite well.

Belgium , as a neighbour of France and also on " high" alert ( one less than France ) and we also experienced the temporary border controls. The guys are swift, to the point and correct. In my cartrunk there were only groceries from Holland ( much cheaper to go shopping there time to time ...but I digress ).
If you are a law abiding citizen you have nothing to worry about.

But back to the OP : Come on and buen Camino. French police is mostly famous for ferocious control when it comes to fast driving....So keep that walking pace....;)

Note to moderators : If I'm on too thin ice...please correct me....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For a decade (before retiring last year) my work involved living and working in hot spots such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, Chad, etc. Family & friends were naturally worried about my safety. However, I had to regretfully point out that whilst I understood their concerns, bad things also happened in Europe & other parts of the world (& I lived in the UK during IRA days back in the 70s).
I've retired to France (my home for the last 34 years) & was celebrating 14 July down in Lyon when Nice was hit. Sadly, although I'm living in a country that's recently received several bad incidents, once again, other countries are also experiencing similar tragedies.
What I'm trying to say is, France is no worse & no better than many other places, & the chances of you being caught up in something are minuscule. As one Camino member says - don't let terrorism dictate to you; equally, as another Camino member says - make sure you tell your family how much you love them.
Enjoy your Camino.
Ultreia
Suzanne :)

Some clarification on my comments :

I was on the Spanish side when this occurred.
They asked for papers and called it in to have it checked.
They did take a couple of 4"-5" pocket knives that were in the car.
They left my 2" Swiss Army knife.
My walking staff is tough looking ( think Gandalf ;-) )
I rather have/give in·for·ma·tion and be prepared than try to keep it quiet and not inform others ...
I once walked with an Australian young lady that carried a 6" butcher knife that her dad had given her for "safety" That was a scary sight.

Ultreya my friends.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have had similar thoughts as original poster but I will leave mid Sept flying into Paris and train to Bayonne because I don't want to live a scared life .........
Any slow walkers leaving St Jean 20th Sept via Valcarlos ????

There is a much higher probability of being knocked by a car on the Camino than being caught in a terrorist attack, so have great hope. I'm flying London to Bordeaux on 3rd August and then catching a train to Pau to walk the Aragon Camino. It's important for me not to let terrorists have any power and stop our way of life, especially something as positive for our world as the Camino. Trust that goodness is always more powerful than these evil events, carry love in your heart and share it with everyone you meet on the Camino. Walk your Camino doing little acts of peace, love, and kindness, and so do something really great for our world.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I checked and I don't even have not one point,,,,,,, I guess I am getting calmer in my old age, and I thought I was an activist , time for a nap

We are also leaving to walk the Camino Ingles with 3 of our kids in a few weeks. Although the terrorist attacks can't help but be in the back of our minds, and we are making sure our other kids staying in Canada have some direction should anything happen, we are excited for the trip and can't wait to experience Spain as well as the holiday we are taking in France after.
As others have said - if we stop traveling, the terrorist win. And I think its also important to show our support to Europe.

When was that, 30 years ago? Today are no 'customs' between France and Spain, as both countries are part of what they call "European Union."
We have open boaders here under the Schengen Agreement and not because france and Spain are in the EU as the UK don't have open boaders except the Irish bit, mainland UK being an island still has boader control. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks!!
dan
Hi Dan, Lived all my life in Belfast through all the bad times. It never stopped me living my life as I choose. This may sound silly but you live in a country next to one that kills more of its own citizens every year than terrorists in Europe do in half a dozen years. Do you ever visit the USA and if so, do you take into consideration the gun crime from both criminals and law enforcement. You have more chance of being killed in a road traffic accident. So come on over. As my Granny used to say 'if you are born to hang, you will never drown' :)

Thanks!!
dan
Hello Dan,
I just booked a flight from Los Angeles to Paris for my Camino trip. Walk on! Don't let them win.

€149,-
It's nice and quiet here on the south west side of France. So quiet I've not seen a pilgrim for weeks passing by here.

It's nice and quiet here on the south west side of France. So quiet I've not seen a pilgrim for weeks passing by here.
You'll see one walking by in the next few weeks! Starting my walk in Lourdes on 31st Aug towards St Jean Pied de Port 6 or 7 days later and onto Santiago for the next month or so. Can't wait!

You'll see one walking by in the next few weeks! Starting my walk in Lourdes on 31st Aug towards St Jean Pied de Port 6 or 7 days later and onto Santiago for the next month or so. Can't wait!
I'll turn you around and send you the right way if I see you as I'm on the Tours route just north of Saintes.

Last edited:

€60,-
I feel the same coming from Aus ... have wonderful family .... Think why am I leaving them ... booked to walk via Paris< Bayonne< St jean in September ...... BUT I really feel I must go OR succumb to MY fears ..... I am not physically ready .... so what ? .... have I ever been ready for anything in my life ? .... no ! ... just took it as it came ....... my 94 yr old mother always advocated people should stay at home .... her fears ... SADLY this time last year all her fears came reality ... had massive stroke and her life taken from her overnight .... NOW paralysed and living the life the she didn't want .... My point is we cannot AVOID ... just LIVE ....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back