• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where have the old markers gone?

Felipe

Veteran Member
If you have walked recently the Camino frances, you will probably have noticed that the Xunta (the Galicia government) replaced the old "mojones" or markers (dated from 1986) with brand new ones. This caused a polemic in Spain (with even a petition in change.org), because many people considered them as part of the Camino patrimony.
Where have the old markers gone? The whereabouts and destiny of the 200 replaced markers was unknown. Well, it is not a mistery anymore. According with this note in La Voz de Galicia, they are in a store (more than in a yard), and the Xunta is weighing what to do with them. Many associations have asked for one, I suppose that for commemorative or patrimonial reasons. I guess that even some persons, non-Spanish associations and museums could be interested, and well-disposed to pay a reasonable amount for a marker. Besides its historical significance, they could be considered as art objects (they were designed by Antonio González Trigo and carved by Manuel Mallo, of the “Sagrada Familia” fame). Problem could be, I suppose, that they are, uhm, slightly heavy.
A related issue is that the new markers offer sometimes dual indications, with around 30 routes or variants considered as "complementary" (indicated with a "C"), which , apparently has been confusing and sometimes has brought the opposition of local people.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Would love for these 'mojones' that have stood witness to the many who have passed them to be re-instated. There seems to be an urge by some in Galicia / Spain to show that the area / the country is contemporary and modern ! Some of the ghastly super-modern albergues that have been constructed in places leaves me aghast at the missed opportunity to convert an abandoned, historic building which may even have once been connected with the Camino. It seems, at least to me, that the same applies to the 'mojones' - out with the old and in with the new !

The decision of way-marking along any of the Camino's seems to be a quite fraught matter. Recently completed the Camino de Invierno where the way-marking is approaching excessive in places, while there are sections where there significant doubts as to the direction that the route was taking. This was especially the case in the final stage of walking towards Rodeiro. Total paucity of arrows or stones indicating the Camino, except right in the centre of the small town I came across this abandoned stock-pile :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 17.44.05.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-16 at 17.44.05.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Would love for these 'mojones' that have stood witness to the many who have passed them to be re-instated. There seems to be an urge by some in Galicia / Spain to show that the area / the country is contemporary and modern ! Some of the ghastly super-modern albergues that have been constructed in places leaves me aghast at the missed opportunity to convert an abandoned, historic building which may even have once been connected with the Camino. It seems, at least to me, that the same applies to the 'mojones' - out with the old and in with the new !

The decision of way-marking along any of the Camino's seems to be a quite fraught matter. Recently completed the Camino de Invierno where the way-marking is approaching excessive in places, while there are sections where there significant doubts as to the direction that the route was taking. This was especially the case in the final stage of walking towards Rodeiro. Total paucity of arrows or stones indicating the Camino, except right in the centre of the small town I came across this abandoned stock-pile :
Yes, I also recently walked the Invierno, and I got turned around coming down from Alto de Faro, and ended up improvising on country roads all the way to Rodeiro. Had some good conversations with local folks along the way who tried to steer me in the right direction. As usual, being "lost" turned out to be part of the adventure. But isn't it always great to see those old friends the yellow arrows and mojones up ahead, just when we've given up the idea that we will ever get back on the Camino again?

I can't help but think the Xunta could make good money selling molds for people to make these at home, even if out of platre de Paris, andjust the facade.

I really missed the old markers in Galicia this time. Some of the magic had gone. And as for the metal mileage plates on them that people were stealing.......... aargh!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would like to know where the 111 Km marker, formerly at the top of the steps and around the corner in Sarria got off to. In April, I photographed the concrete base, where the mojone WAS, but is no longer. That particular marker was a bit of a milestone for all who walked the Camino Frances.

After that, I believe there was a somewhat iconic, 99.8 Km marker near the cafe in Morgade. I missed that one. I do wonder if it was replaced as well.

I leave for Santiago tomorrow to start a month's volunteer service at the Pilgrim Office. See you there...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In January before Melide

image-jpeg.23430

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I saw one of the old Deputation ones that 'got away' last week, still in place somewhere around St Irene or after. Ironic to spend money replacing markers that had nothing wrong with them.

It seems the Xunta is very heavy handed and unimaginative as an organisation, in a lot of ways. All the new albergues are built off the same plan, including the one in Boimorto, where the picture windows look straight out onto the council refuse depot! Duh! I always imagine it is staffed by Walter Mitty types who think they are 'making their mark' on history.

And while we are on the subject of defacement - has anyone seen the new motorway workings?

Last edited:
Ironic to spend money replacing markers that had nothing wrong with them.
Wrong distances. Graffiti. Employment (albeit an element of make work). Their money, not mine. Spruce it up a bit. Make it easier for pilgrims with consistent arrows. More reasons to replace them than not replace them in the eyes of those who are responsible for maintaining the cultural resource. There probably were valid reasons even while there was disagreement.;)

There is still an old marker just before O Cebriero, and there was a new marker just before it. You should be able to read the distances, and appreciate how much difference there had been between the markers and actual distances. Presuming, of course, that the new markers are reasonably accurate.

P6042898.JPG P6042897.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you say 'their money not mine', you'll start a discussion on Brexit if you are not careful! ;)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back