• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguess with 11-months old baby - has anyone done it?

eliskahol

Time of past OR future Camino
7-8/2013 - camino aragonés and francés (Somport - Finisterra)
8/2016 - camino portugues (Porto - Santiago)
Ola peregrinos!
We plan to walk camino portugues from Porto this August with my husband and 11-months old son. We wonder if anybody had done the same with a small child. It would be VERY helpful to get some tips and recommendations according to accomodation, food etc. With a child it is a specific way how to travel bringing different types od issues. We will appreciate ANY advice that could be helpful for the planning of our camino.

MUCHAS GRACIAS! <3

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why should you do that ? And for whom ?

You do not mention which part you want to walk. From Porto ?
Along the coast or the central route ?
How many kms a day ? With a pram ? In a chestharnas ?
Where do you want to stay for the night ? Hotels, hostals, albergues ?

If have never seen this during my three caminhos nor have heard about it.
I do not see the sense of this . It will not be in favour of the child.
But that is my opinion.

In August it can be very hot.
When you walk the cental route you will have to climb the la Bruja mountain .a steep ascending and decending off road path. The coastal with the west winds from the ocean .
August is holidaytime in Portugal and Spain. At some parts specially along the coast accomodation will be full.
Sleeping in a bunk in a full, hot ,noisy,smelly albergue ?
poor child !

Last edited:
There is a right time for all things.
And walking with a child in August a Camino seems not the right thing to me.
Only the risk of dehydration for the precious little one..... would be enough for me to think about an other way of spending my time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It may not be my place but I'd like to make a plea to other users to avoid making judgmental comments when questions like this come up.

Parents take children on the Camino routes all the time - sometimes very young children. Parents imho are best placed to safeguard the health and well being of their children.

In terms of travelling some families use a chariot type baby stroller others a "child back pack" or a combination of the two.

August is the busiest of times on all of the Camino routes and the Camino Portugués is no exception. This month is not only busy but it is hot and consideration has to be given to the weight of carrying extra water.

Route choice and accommodation options are key considerations. I've just walked the central route from Oporto. The route is perfectly straightforward and very well waymarked. Sleeping in albergues would be a challenge when travelling with a small child because of the need to get beds on a first come, first served basis - there are many private accommodation alternatives. However I'd advise booking very early and you may in fact find much accommodation is already booked.

The Coastal route has been mentioned and I think a combination of that and the Senda Litoral which follows the line of the coast may be more viable from a practical walking point of view. The major caveat is the availability of accommodation.

My advice is to research the routes and the possible stages/distances you wish to walk and with a combination of gronze.com and booking.com explore accommodation options.

In saying all of this I've just finished helping a group of friends who wish to walk the central route in Mid September and I found a lot of private accommodation was already fully booked.

Good luck - let us know how you get on please.

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I once read a series of daily blogs on this site, where a man and his wife took a smallish baby on the full length of the Camino Frances to SDC.
I was amazed at the size and weight of the man's backpack carrying all of the extra items required for the baby.
I think that the thread was call"Find (or follow) your potential"
Can anyone else help on this please ?

In addition to the above, if it will jog someone's memory, The man was a vegan and they were from Ireland but then living in Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I once read a series of daily blogs on this site, where a man and his wife took a smallish baby on the full length of the Camino Frances to SDC.
I was amazed at the size and weight of the man's backpack carrying all of the extra items required for the baby.
I think that the thread was call"Find (or follow) your potential"
Can anyone else help on this please ?

You can find their daily videos here on you tube

They walked with a 6 month old baby IN WINTER on the CF and to Finisterra. They were indeed vegan but the baby was breastfeeding. She carried the baby, he carried the gear for all three of them (30 kilos I think). He was an ex soldier. The baby was fine, and doesn't seem to stop laughing and smiling! I didn't like the man though, he was a bit of a control freak.

Davey

EDIT: my son is 23 now but if he was 6 months old i would consider this too (maybe not in winter). I saw many small children and babies on the Camino, including the San Salvador, and they were all fine.

When I walked the Camino last Aug-Oct I saw several people with a little one harnessed into the backpack. One was wailing away and another was just asleep. All I had was admiration for them. I wouldn't do it (even if younger) but you gotta admire the tenacity. Good luck. BTW, I saw one couple with two kids pushing them in a tram. They more or less took the bicycle route.

It's good to admire the parents' planning and tenacity. But my opinion (as a qualified teacher) may not be popular: we should also ask - what is a small child getting out of being cooped up for hours each day passively staring out at the world going by? Kids need to move a lot and actively play, not be strapped in for hours. You wouldn't put a small child in a buggy in front of the TV in a hot room for 5 hours every day for weeks, and a Camino isn't so different for them. They may be 'ok', but what else could they have been doing or learning?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's good to admire the parents' planning and tenacity. But my opinion (as a qualified teacher) may not be popular: we should also ask - what is a small child getting out of being cooped up for hours each day passively staring out at the world going by? Kids need to move a lot and actively play, not be strapped in for hours. You wouldn't put a small child in a buggy in front of the TV in a hot room for 5 hours every day for weeks, and a Camino isn't so different for them. They may be 'ok', but what else could they have been doing or learning?

Hmm as a qualified person myself...I think so as being a social worker ;) .I think it is a doable although maybe not in scorching temperatures. Better planning and preparations is needed. I met lots of couples with young children and babies ( walking and cycling ). They all did short walks ( max 15 k ). Mostly the mum was holding baby . Daddy or other lifepartners / friends were holding the backpacks. Also people did use the luggage services. The parents used private accomodations, used every stop to let the child play. The children were all very well protected against sun and were well hydrated.
The Spanish and Portugues shopowners and restauranteurs are childfriendly like the countries themselves. Children are a big part of the public life so very different from some other countries.

So yes if planned and thought out a child certainly can benefit from the open air, the loving attention 24 hours a day from their parents. Beats a stuffy livingroom anytime.

my friend if the way is calling you...just take your baby and go....you will find your way around everything concerning the baby....everyone is different and has different opinions and values so just focus on yours and you will find your answers....it's a blessed way ....only good things can give, even to a 11moth baby :)))) I am expecting in a month my baby which was part of my last camino since I met my husband on the way.....I am planing to take my little Santiago to Santiago as a thank you to the way for all the good things that it gave me....so you choose your way and your baby's way and you know better than anyone!
Buen Camino!!!

I've now met numerous families on different caminos, some with very young children and of course it can be done, safely and enjoyably for all. I'm just not sure about August - personally I'm not keen to walk any camino in August because of the heat. It will need very early starts to the day to avoid the heat and with plenty of hydration built in. Search this forum and you will find plenty (use the tag "children") of information from others - not on the Portuguese necessarily, but on all routes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Met a couple starting in Roncesvalles with an 8 momth old, or so, on my first Camino. They stayed in albergues with the rest of us, sometimes being offered a room in the back for more peace and quiet. They had one of those large strollers with a cover, the 3 wheel type, but the backpack mostly travelled in it while the baby was carried. The baby was still being breastfed which made things easy in that regard.

Also met another couple on a separate Frances outing, this time with a 14 or 16 month old, or so. This one was being carried in on of those rigid baby back packs. Three adults walking with him to share carrying baby and backpacks.

In both cases this was in May and both babies LOVED it. I don't recall the older one in an albergue, but the little one travelled with his on tiny pop up tent so he would always have the same reassuring environment at nigh. Never heard a peep out of either of them.

Now, if the child is fussy you may not make a lot of friends unless staying in pensiones and hotels. And in the August heat in Portugal, well, even I would get fussy.

For posts from the older child's parents, look for posts from "waveprof" here on the forum.

And btw, neither family had stuff sent by mochileros. They did it the good old way.

It may not be my place but I'd like to make a plea to other users to avoid making judgmental comments when questions like this come up.

Parents take children on the Camino routes all the time - sometimes very young children. Parents imho are best placed to safeguard the health and well being of their children.

In terms of travelling some families use a chariot type baby stroller others a "child back pack" or a combination of the two.

August is the busiest of times on all of the Camino routes and the Camino Portugués is no exception. This month is not only busy but it is hot and consideration has to be given to the weight of carrying extra water.

Route choice and accommodation options are key considerations. I've just walked the central route from Oporto. The route is perfectly straightforward and very well waymarked. Sleeping in albergues would be a challenge when travelling with a small child because of the need to get beds on a first come, first served basis - there are many private accommodation alternatives. However I'd advise booking very early and you may in fact find much accommodation is already booked.

The Coastal route has been mentioned and I think a combination of that and the Senda Litoral which follows the line of the coast may be more viable from a practical walking point of view. The major caveat is the availability of accommodation.

My advice is to research the routes and the possible stages/distances you wish to walk and with a combination of gronze.com and booking.com explore accommodation options.

In saying all of this I've just finished helping a group of friends who wish to walk the central route in Mid September and I found a lot of private accommodation was already fully booked.

Good luck - let us know how you get on please.

John

Thank you very much for this information and support! As I sad we are now in the process of planning and arranging. We will most probably walk the central route from Porto and we will try to book all the accommodations in advance - meaning this weak, so that we now whether it is possible for us :) we want to walk around 15km a day. I will let you know how are we doing. August is for us the only possible time to go and we feel it is the right time. We walked camino aragones, frances and to Finisterra three years ago in August and we enjoyed it SO much! We found out we can easily walk 30km a day as we started early in the morning. It is very natural to share it now with our son, as loving parents we of course try to do the best for his well-being :)
Eliška

15 kms a day means some puzzling
If I were you I should after arriving in Porto go to the albergue Monasteiro do Vairão
Look on internet /facebook
Send Carla the hospitaleiro an email . they have separate rooms
You can get there by metro from Porto center( if you like to stay there too) to Fórum Maia and walk from there to Vairão or go directly from the airport which is not too far.
Your next albergue is at 15kms at São Pedro de Rates where are common rooms
Or walk 6 km on to Pedra Furada. There i s a bar who rents rooms. I should give him a call for reservation on beforehand. His number is in John Brierleys guide

From there is 15 kms to Barcelos where are hotels,hostals, albergues
Next you can walk 13 kms to Tamel where is an albergue but better is to walk 18 kms from Barcelos to casa da Fernanda. They have a common room but also 3 privat rooms I was there hospitaleiro 2 times. Ask Fernanda for a privat room. She speaks english. +351 914 589 521

Next place at 14 kms is Ponte de Lima with hotels,hostals and an albergue

Then you'll get the hard job, climbing the la Bruja mountain 18 kms to Rubiaês. Nothing in between only one bar to drink something
At the end are some hostals and an albergue and one restaurant..

15 kms from there is Valença do Minho with an albergue and several hotels
But there it is going to be busier because from there are the last 100 kms to Santiago.
Lots of Spaniards walk this distance in August so it will be a run on accomodation.
3 kms from Valença is Tui but I am afraid this will be full of pilgrims traveling to there and starting the next day.

Next at 20 kms is o Porriño with an albergue and hotels. Check out on beforehand for a place.
Next is Mos where is an albergue but here again many Spaniards
Then comes Redondela with a big albergue. Not my thing too busy. And some hotels but if you walk three kms on to Cessantes is a refuxio. Refuxio de la Jérezana. Look on facebook and reserve-very popular but hospitaleira Maria has one privat room .

Then You walk to Pontevedra 17 kms where are lots of hotels,hostals and an albergue

Then at 18 kms Caldas de Reis. Try hotel/albergue o Cruzeiro they have double rooms for an albergue price

Padron at 20 kms is the next with an albergue,hotels and hostals

Last but not least 23 kms further on is Santiago

maybe this helps you ou

Bom caminho

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Or walk 6 km on to Pedra Furada. There i s a bar who rents rooms. I should give him a call for reservation on beforehand. His number is in John Brierleys guide
Bom caminho

The Acogida is from Antonio Martins who is a well known character on this etapa and is very active in the local Camino fraternity. He might even give you the keys to his private place in Barcelos :). His sisters cook excellent food in the restaurant ( Michelin rated ) but the barfood is delicious too.
Very clean and quiet.
Antonio is also a big jazz aficionado and overall loves his chats. Best evening on my Portugues 2015.

http://www.gronze.com/portugal/braga/pedra-furada/acogida-en-pedra-furada

Iam just back from cycling the Portugues route and met two families with small babies one also had a toddler in a buggy and they were coping just fine. Although it was hot they were pushing a buggy I would have suggested it have better wheels but they were just fine and enjoying the walk. Best of luck if you go.

Saw a German women with a about 2-3 year old at crux de ferre.
She had a 3 Wheeler pram. Children's bicycle was also hanging on the pram.
They sat next to me. The mother was reading a story to him. What a nice site.
The mother was a red head and had a bit to much sun burn. Got a lot of respect for her.
See that your are to adults to help each other. I think go for it YOLO. Keep us informed. Enjoy it

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Met an Israeli couple on the CF in 2012 with an 18 month old that everybody fussed over. They were doing 10km a day tops with lots of stops.

I must admit to wondering how a dormitorio of tired pilgrims would cope with a crying baby rather than a snoring pilgrim next to them but the little girl seemed happy enough!

Temperature in Porto when I was there in late May last year was 29 degrees at 7pm - the forecast for the first week of August this year for the coastal region in the mid - 30's. I wouldn't want to walk in that myself so keep the baby cool!

15 kms a day means some puzzling
If I were you I should after arriving in Porto go to the albergue Monasteiro do Vairão
Look on internet /facebook
Send Carla the hospitaleiro an email . they have separate rooms
You can get there by metro from Porto center( if you like to stay there too) to Fórum Maia and walk from there to Vairão or go directly from the airport which is not too far.
Your next albergue is at 15kms at São Pedro de Rates where are common rooms

From there is 15 kms to Barcelos where are hotels,hostals, albergues
Next you can walk 13 kms to Tamel where is an albergue but better is to walk 18 kms from Barcelos to casa da Fernanda. They have a common room but also 3 privat rooms I was there hospitaleiro 2 times. Ask Fernanda for a privat room. She speaks english. +351 914 589 521

Next place at 14 kms is Ponte de Lima with hotels,hostals and an albergue

Then you'll get the hard job, climbing the la Bruja mountain 18 kms to Rubiaês. Nothing in between only one bar to drink something
At the end are some hostals and an albergue and one restaurant..

15 kms from there is Valença do Minho with an albergue and several hotels
But there it is going to be busier because from there are the last 100 kms to Santiago.
Lots of Spaniards walk this distance in August so it will be a run on accomodation.
3 kms from Valença is Tui but I am afraid this will be full of pilgrims traveling to there and starting the next day.

Next at 20 kms is o Porriño with an albergue and hotels. Check out on beforehand for a place.
Next is Mos where is an albergue but here again many Spaniards
Then comes Redondela with a big albergue. Not my thing too busy. And some hotels but if you walk three kms on to Cessantes is a refuxio. Refuxio de la Jérezana. Look on facebook and reserve-very popular but hospitaleira Maria has one privat room .

Then You walk to Pontevedra 17 kms where are lots of hotels,hostals and an albergue

Then at 18 kms Caldas de Reis. Try hotel/albergue o Cruzeiro they have double rooms for an albergue price

Padron at 20 kms is the next with an albergue,hotels and hostals

Last but not least 23 kms further on is Santiago

maybe this helps you ou

Bom caminho

Wow thank you for all the information, this is definitely very helpful. We are still in the process and we will let you know how we decided about the route and accommodation.

Thanks again and take care!
Eliška

I don't wish to disrespect Alberthino, but we walked some different stages which might be helpful.
After Ponte de Lima you can stop at Quinta Estrada Roman - in fact, I would not miss it for anything! I imagine you'd be given the private room, washing will be done for you and dinner cooked!
Also, you could stay at the monastery at Herbon instead of going to Padron - another wonderful experience with communal dinner. Make sure you do the tour.
Then you can stop in Teo (municipal and private options) to shorten the last day to Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We met an Irish couple on CF last Sept. - Oct. with an 8 & and a 9 year old. It was the third family camino!!! Those kids were awesome out of SJPP and full of energy at El Perdon which was our last time together. So use good judgement and have a wonderful camino. Makes me think about all of the American pioneers going west in wagon trains. God speed!

Hey everyone!
I am now writing for an albergue Ninho in Rubiães and just want to let you know that we are doing really fine :) enjoying the camino with all the gifts and life lessons it gives. We actually found out that we can do 20-25km a day and had to cancel or change all of our reservations :D here I really want to apologize to Fernanda who was not picking up the phone whole day and we could not neither catch her at her casa before the noon so we did not tell her we are going further.

We are sharing our story on this website as u support and inspirarion for other (young) families:

familyontheway.worspress.com

Bye!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I admire families that get on with their lives and interests The world doesn't have to revolve around baby. 11 month old babies have long naps, sometimes 2 or 3 hours. One in the afternoon and one in the morning. They babble and talk. That part of learning can be done while the parents walk. In fact they'll have lots of quality time with mom and dad to talk to them. Good opportunity to learn language skills. Lots of time the rest of the day to crawl or walk: at the parents break time.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back