• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte Santander to Santillana Section

• Thread starter Former member 60103
  • Start date
F

Former member 60103

Hi, I am walking the Camino Norte starting September 2016. The Cicerone guide on section 12 says that in order to avoid a 12 klm detour you can "do as the locals do" and walk across the railway bridge. Is this safe or would I be better (safer) catching a train for the one stop it takes to get across the river. I only ask as in UK if caught on a railway line apart from possibly being strategically and unhealthily placed across the front of a moving train you would also be prosecuted. Anyone done this section and can advise ? Thanks and Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Locals do cross the bridge along the line but it is not legal. There was a rumour that the train would take pilgrims and locals across the bridge free, but this was before FEVE became part of RENFE and may have been a myth anyway. Terry walked round which adds about 11kms to that stage. Together we actually took the FEVE (cercania) from Santander to Barreda where we started our Camino. Trains are half-hourly, heading west, along that section so you would not have a long wait for one to ride across the bridge. It is a fairly busy line with cercanias in both directions and also goods trains which carry wide loads. Better safe than sorry was our motto.
Buen Camino

Locals do cross the bridge along the line but it is not legal. There was a rumour that the train would take pilgrims and locals across the bridge free, but this was before FEVE became part of RENFE and may have been a myth anyway. Terry walked round which adds about 11kms to that stage. Together we actually took the FEVE (cercania) from Santander to Barreda where we started our Camino. Trains are half-hourly, heading west, along that section so you would not have a long wait for one to ride across the bridge. It is a fairly busy line with cercanias in both directions and also goods trains which carry wide loads. Better safe than sorry was our motto.
Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked across the bridge, as encouraged by the hospitalero at Guermes. I have to admit that I was rather anxious, but a train had hurtled by prior to reaching the bridge so I was fairly confident that I wouldn't see another whilst crossing.

If you want to read a full description and see some photos of the actual crossing, take a look at my blog entry for that day...
https://magwood.me/2016/05/03/day-1...cruz-de-bezana-to-santillana-del-mar-25-2-km/

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I am walking the Camino Norte starting September 2016. The Cicerone guide on section 12 says that in order to avoid a 12 klm detour you can "do as the locals do" and walk across the railway bridge. Is this safe or would I be better (safer) catching a train for the one stop it takes to get across the river. I only ask as in UK if caught on a railway line apart from possibly being strategically and unhealthily placed across the front of a moving train you would also be prosecuted. Anyone done this section and can advise ? Thanks and Buen Camino.

I've gone over the bridge once and around the long way once (but that was only because I couldn't find the bridge, :rolleyes:). I don't think you need to worry about being prosecuted, but there is a risk of an unhappy encounter with a train. The locals know the schedule and can help you. For me, though, the real reason to take that bridge is that from Santander, even without those extra kms, you already have 3-4 days of TOTAL asphalt. There is not an off-road bit after Santander until you are almost in Comillas. My feet suffer mightily on all that asphalt.

I took the train across the bridge, and some walking mates walked across. We all made it safely. You cannot buy a ticket at the station right before the bridge. Fortunately?! for my group the FEVE guy showed up on the platform to get on the train to check tickets and he sold us ones. I think they were 1,65 euros. We waited quite a while for the next train, which was just the luck of the draw for when we arrived.

I walked across the bridge, as encouraged by the hospitalero at Guermes.
Buen Camino!
Funny, when in Guemes we were told to behave and hop on the train. As guests in Spain I think the least we can to is follow the law and hop on the train or take the detour.

If you walk from Santander spending the night at albergue Piedad, 25 meters from the train stop is a good idea, and you can rol out of bed according to the train schedule.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You can usually pay on the train as many of the small stations no longer have ticket offices. Just be sure to have some small change and not just notes!

Hi,

I was also informed about the possibility of walking on the train bridge by the hospitaleros in Güemes. This was in 2011. We didn't now the train schedule but just walked on: me and another guy. The bridge is really narrow. As I recall it, there's a fence/a wall so you can't step out if there's a train.

So half-way on the bridge we hear the signal of a train approaching. We are just looking at each other and... okay?! What do we do? So we line up at the fence/wall so the train can pass us. There was not much time. That's when I notice that my backpack makes me almost stand on the rails, as it's pushing me "out" from the wall. Train is coming and I don't have time to put down my backpack. I take a deep breath and try to press myself against the fence. The train passes me like one inch from my nose tip. At the same time I'm looking at my friend: his hat, attached underneath his chin with a string, is hovering above his head because of the wind caused by the train passing, like in a cartoon...

So the bridge is possible, but try to figure out when the train will pass, and do NOT bring a large backpack...............

/BP

Hi,
I was also informed about the possibility of walking on the train bridge by the hospitaleros in Güemes.
So the bridge is possible, but try to figure out when the train will pass, and do NOT bring a large backpack.............../BP

Wow, that sounds scary. If I had read your account, rather than one like mine, before making my decision, it would have been different.

I would have thought that the train drivers would hate us pilgrims, but I received many toots and waves from them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Taking a train 2 minutes over a bridge isn't cheating. The old time pilgrims used to cross all the river mouths by boat.

Unless (like me the first time I walked) you are determined to walk every step of the way, it is worth considering taking the FEVE cercania (narrow gauge train) from Santander to Barreda. The only things you will miss are the industrial area on the outskirts of Santander and the smelly chemical works at Polanco / Requejada.
If you take the train you avoid 20+ kilometers of pavamiento and just have a very short day into Santillana del Mar from Barreda (10k?) with the opportunity to spend time to enjoy the village.

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

If you want to take this risk, you should undo the chest and waist straps on your backpack, and be prepared to drop it on the ground and lie down

Unless (like me the first time I walked) you are determined to walk every step of the way, l

For avoidance of doubt, I walked round by Puente de Arce - and over the ancient bridge, now by-passed by the marked camino route which goes over the newer bridge on the N611. ;) As I understand it, the ancient route went over a ferry near the rail bridge, through Mogro and Miengo before taking another ferry over the ría de San Martín de la Arena to Suances. Unfortunately the ferry crossings no longer exist so the modern pilgrims has to find another way. :(

Blessings
Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you want to take this risk, you should undo the chest and waist straps on your backpack, and be prepared to drop it on the ground and lie down

The trains are pretty infrequent - and you should certainly check the timetable (if only to know which way the next train will be coming so that you can walk on the other side of the two tracks) - while you're walking you should also keep your ears alert for the sound - dropping to the ground though is likely to be over-dramatic and ill-advised - my advice would be to merely step away and then stand still - and on the bridge itself you are both away from the track and slightly below it

If the Spanish authorities were reading this they might decide to post an agent at the end of the bridge to hand out tickets. Would help the local economy no doubt ;0).

The trains are pretty infrequent - and you should certainly check the timetable (if only to know which way the next train will be coming so that you can walk on the other side of the two tracks) - while you're walking you should also keep your ears alert for the sound - dropping to the ground though is likely to be over-dramatic and ill-advised - my advice would be to merely step away and then stand still - and on the bridge itself you are both away from the track and slightly below it

Trains run fairly frequently on work days. Every 10 to 15 minutes in both directions until about 10.00 then every 20 - 30 minutes. If you do check the timetable make sure that it includes all the trains. Santander - Torrelavega should do it. The goods trains are the wild cards and can be wider than the pasajeros.
I would not risk it, partly because of the safety aspect, but also because it is illegal and I do try to respect the laws of the country in which I am a visitor!

Blessings
Tio Tel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you everyone for the interest you have shown and the sound advice. I have probably lost too many of my nine lives over the years to take any chances with moving trains (passenger or freight) and bridges. I will therefore ride on the train rather than risk riding under it. Last stages of preparation and boarding pass printed so the countdown to my start date has well and truly begun. Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for the interest you have shown and the sound advice. I have probably lost too many of my nine lives over the years to take any chances with moving trains (passenger or freight) and bridges. I will therefore ride on the train rather than risk riding under it. Last stages of preparation and boarding pass printed so the countdown to my start date has well and truly begun. Thanks again.
I would do the same if I would do this stage again!!

Good luck!

BP

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.