• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Merrell Sandals a delight!

Shoshanah Crookes

Shoshanah
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 180 miles 2015. 143 Spring 2016. Aug 2016 to the finish! :-)
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!
Thanks for posting. I was just wondering if I could do the Camino using sandals expecially in hot weather. Your post answered my question.

Will use sandals when I do the Camino next time.

Buen Camino

Martin

Will use sandals when I do the Camino next time.

I congratulate all those who can use sandals. In training I tried several brands/styles all to no avail. My principal problem was the need to also use a professionally prescribed orthotic. And this meant having a "backstop". Which led, in reality, to a shoe with a toe box etc without the upper.

I still continue to dream...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!
Thanks for posting. I was just wondering if I could do the Camino using sandals expecially in hot weather. Your post answered my question.
Martin

This year I wore Chaco sandals (with socks - lovely!) for about a week while there was a lot of rain and I was having some blister troubles. They were great. Very adjustable in all sorts of ways.
ml

Just bought a pair of Merrells and have been wearing them for my training sessions (in Spain). So great in the heat. I'm taking them along with a pair Ecco walking shoes for my trip in less than two weeks. Leaving my boots at home this time. I love to be able to change shoes halfway through the day. It's a real treat. Glad to hear that yours are holding up so well.

The only time I got blisters over the last six years walking was in Merrell sandals. Other brands didn't do that. Great to give them an unsolicited plug, but like most footwear discussions, don't expect that everyone will get the same great outcome that you did.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"...the need to also use a professionally prescribed orthotic. And this meant having a "backstop". Which led, in reality, to a shoe with a toe box etc without the upper. "- the h
I have recently discovered Camberlain Sandals- very light weight for the level of structure ( I think the pair I got weighed 10 oz?)- fully orthotic compatible.
they come with a flat insert and a molded cork insert with arch support- there is a lip which fits the orthotic or other insoles tightly
not sure how to post links like you all do
I have seen various versions at REI Sierra TRading Post etc

Last edited:
Whatever your footwear, test it extensively before you go. Do not wait until the Camino to discover that your foot slides out of sandals on rocky terrain, rainwater and sandals give you blisters, you need ankle support or orthotics, or pebbles get under your foot. The only new discoveries on the Camino should be scenery, people, and the culture/food. :)

Hi again
Just to say though that even though I wore these, I alternated them with fabric boots too, though the boots seemed to be the ones swinging on my rucksack more than the sandals! :) Enjoy it Martin
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I congratulate all those who can use sandals. In training I tried several brands/styles all to no avail. My principal problem was the need to also use a professionally prescribed orthotic. And this meant having a "backstop". Which led, in reality, to a shoe with a toe box etc without the upper.

I still continue to dream...
Alwyn,

You may be able to stop dreaming. I use Keen Arroyo II sandals. Removable insole that can be replaced with orthotics. Plus a very rugged outsole (really a hiking boot sole) married to a sandal top. I walked 200 miles on the JMT (Yosemite to Mt. Whitney) last fall in them with Sole insoles, although I have now switched to Spenco insoles. If you have not tried them yet, I hope they can work for you.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Hi everybody
Just to say that I will be off on the 12th August to finish the Camino Frances and I am sooooo excited. Just wanted to plug the sandals I have as they are so fantastically comfortable and I wore them so much on the last stage I did (143 miles).
The link is here if you need to check them out :)
http://www.millets.co.uk/footwear/105124-merrell-womens-kahuna-iii-sandals.html
Buen Camino
Shoshanah
Hi Shoshanah, I wore Merrell boots on my Camino de Madrid and had a great walk. Camino greetings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.