• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Compeed Plasters

Gillers

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk part of the Camino in 2016
Hi

I am doing the Sarria to Santiago route next week and was wondering about which Compeed Plasters should I take?

Would one pack be enough as well for just 5 days walking?

There seems to be lots of options:
  1. Compeed Blister Mix (pack of 5)
  2. Compeed Blister Extreme
  3. Compeed Underfoot Blister
  4. and many many more
Thanks in advance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The mix will be good. You don't know where the blister might appear. You can buy more along the way, so one box is enough to start.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where ever I walk for a longer period , the only things that I have with me are tape, small bottle of alcohol and a few needdles.
Never had to used it myself do. I used it only to help the feed of other people.

As Anemone already stated it all begin with taking good care of your feed and wearing the wright socks and shoes.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Be aware that there is some disagreement about whether Compeed is a good idea or not. If it is used wrong, it can cause a worse problem than before. Other people love it. If Compeed is ripped off, it can take a lot of skin with it. If the blister and surrounding area are not cleaned properly initially and then the Compeed is left on for days, an infection could develop and you wouldn't see it. Be sure to understand how it should and should not be used. This thread includes a lot of discussion on the topic.

I take some first aid tape to protect hot spots, antiseptic and simple bandaids for blisters, and gel toe tubes for blisters on my baby toes. I prefer to be able to examine and clean any blisters each day.

Where ever I walk for a longer period , the only things that I have with me are tape, small bottle of alcohol and a few needdles.
Never had to used it myself do. I used it only to help the feed of other people.

As Anemone already stated it all begin with taking good care of your feed and wearing the wright socks and shoes.

Idem here Peter! I personally do not like Compeed at all.

So I just take a minimum of tape and Isobetadine with me and buy new material if needed in the very well equipped and professionally staffed Spanish pharmacies.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nylons! Wear bigger shoes and nylons (knee-highs) under your well-fitting walking socks. I've had ONE blister, ever, on my Caminos...

Change socks (left to right) every time you sit down to ensure that there aren't any wrinkles and folds that may rub your feet as you're walking.

The Compeed stick, rubbed on any hot areas before you put on the nylons, is another good thing. Some people swear by vaseline.

I ruined my heel with it. Ended up with a real severe problem after what started as a simple blister. I can walk with it, but always in a limited distance. Over 20/23 km. it hurts like hell.
Days of 30 km and more are no longer possible.

As others have said, preparation is the key! If you feel a hot spot just put a bit of tape e.g like leukoplast -- the stuff on a roll. And leave it for as long as it stays on. ( mine can stay on for weeks!) I also do the same for a blister if I get one. Don't walk in wet socks. Change them as many times in the day that you need to. Don't overfill your boots with dressings etc as this will cause the boot to become smaller, thus causing friction in other parts of the feet. Hope you get off Scott free as blisters are the bane of the camino. Best wishes Annette

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have not used Compeed before then ask yourself whether waterproof sticking plasters stay stuck to you. If not then Compeed probably will not do so either.
We just take ordinary sticking plasters that we know suit our skin and some of the Spanish micropore type tape. Never had to use it as our feet were looked after and sock/boot system had been well worked at beforehand and we never had blisters.

I find a small bottle of alcohol will get me through most crises :)

Hi

I am doing the Sarria to Santiago route next week and was wondering about which Compeed Plasters should I take?

4. and many many more
Thanks in advance

@Gillers
I found a Compeed patch leftover from my last camino in my foot repair kit when I was just about out of everything else backpacking in the Rockies a few weeks ago with newish boots which were 1/2 size too large. I happily stuck it on one very sore, skinned heel and forgot about it, because it stuck so well and the heel did not hurt any more. When I arrive in Spain in September, I intend to buy a variety of sizes in ample quantity for myself and any walkers I meet who need them. They are not perfect, but pretty much the best that I have seen so far for feet which really hurt. Paper tape is good too, for occasional hot spots.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi

4. and many many more
Thanks in advance
I needed the underfoot due to rain causing some blisters, but would take mixed pack, Aliwalks and Buen Camino!

Be aware that there is some disagreement about whether Compeed is a good idea or not. If it is used wrong, it can cause a worse problem than before. Other people love it. If Compeed is ripped off, it can take a lot of skin with it. If the blister and surrounding area are not cleaned properly initially and then the Compeed is left on for days, an infection could develop and you wouldn't see it. Be sure to understand how it should and should not be used. This thread includes a lot of discussion on the topic.

I take some first aid tape to protect hot spots, antiseptic and simple bandaids for blisters, and gel toe tubes for blisters on my baby toes. I prefer to be able to examine and clean any blisters each day.

I really appreciated the thread 'Blisters are optional'.....came through recently. Sound advice, clear instruction for each of the 3 types of blister. Buen Camino love sandi

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really appreciated the thread 'Blisters are optional'.....came through recently. Sound advice, clear instruction for each of the 3 types of blister. Buen Camino love sandi

Compeed has saved my feet on many occasions in the past. Use it as soon as you feel a sore patch, don't wait until it's become a full blown blister.

Good advice here is to get the right boots and socks that fit you, and test them thoroughly before you commence the Camino.

However, the real blister 'life-saver' for me has been Superfeet inner soles, the green ones suit me best but there are a range to cover most feet and activities. All our feet pronate differently and the 'before' and 'after' results for me were staggering, very rarely get a blister nowadays. And no, I don't hold shares in the company!!

https://www.superfeet.com

Hope this helps and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back