• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino San Salvador

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just 5 of "us" walking each day. Good times.

Started in Leon 4 days ago. This walk is stunning. Very beautiful with quiet Albergues/pensions. Last day tomorrow. Big climbs and many steep paths. If you are fed up with the battle for beds on the Frances - I would recommend this.

Hi, Kathryn, it's one of my favorites too. Just wondering how crowded it is now, when I was there a few weeks ago there were usually about six of us. You say quiet albergues and pensiones, can you give us an idea of the numbers?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Kathryn, it's one of my favorites too. Just wondering how crowded it is now, when I was there a few weeks ago there were usually about six of us. You say quiet albergues and pensiones, can you give us an idea of the numbers?

Oops, I see you answered my question before I asked it :). What stages did you do? By any chance did you get to the wonderful new albergue in Bendueños?
5 days (La Robla, Poladura de la Tercia, Pajares, Pola de Lena, Oviedo).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Started in Leon 4 days ago. This walk is stunning. Very beautiful with quiet Albergues/pensions. Last day tomorrow. Big climbs and many steep paths. If you are fed up with the battle for beds on the Frances - I would recommend this.

Uhm yes, the views are stunning... I just thought it was Really. Really. Hard. I promised myself, in Oviedo, that I would never do it again. Then again, I did it in 4 stages, so perhaps I was pushing myself too hard. The thing is that other pilgrims I met also did it in four or five stages and they were like "Ok it's a bit hard..." and then they would shrug their shoulders. Am I really the only one who actually suffered?

/BP

Uhm yes, the views are stunning... I just thought it was Really. Really. Hard. I promised myself, in Oviedo, that I would never do it again. Then again, I did it in 4 stages, so perhaps I was pushing myself too hard. The thing is that other pilgrims I met also did it in four or five stages and they were like "Ok it's a bit hard..." and then they would shrug their shoulders. Am I really the only one who actually suffered?

/BP

I didn't find it too hard, but then I had walked from Geneva so I was totally fit by then, plus I did it in six days - La Robla, Buiza, Pajares, Pola de Lena, Mieres, Oviedo. 4 days would of been very tough I think! What surprised me was a Spanish family walking it with children aged 8 and 10, the parents were as tired at the end of the day as the rest of us, but the kids breezed it! They were still running around in the evenings!

Davey

/BP
It is tough at times but the views make it worthwhile. The hardest part is the overgrown green lanes/paths. They always lead to amazing vista's though...and Oviedo is beautiful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

/BP
Hi BP
Your take on the Salvador is really surprising me as I've read quite a few of your posts and know you're very capable. You were either not feeling well that time, or took a detour ?, or possibly walked in hotter weather ?
Truly just trying to explain how it was for me, setting out alone but running into around 4 others over the few days - I found it hard only in places but nothing too hard. The glorious views I think shut out any memories of difficulties -
I had the same 4 overnight stops as Kathryn between Leon and Oviedo , making it a 5 day walk. The last day did seem to go on and on tho.
I'd do it again and I'm an old girl.
Buen Camino
Annie

Planning to start the Salvador from Leon on August 13. Should I try to book accommodations ahead? I never walked in the summer, and knowing is is Spain's vacation time, I am starting to get worry. I have decided to go for a couple of days since the rumors are Spain will be closed again this Winter. I am missing My Camino fix!!

Texasguy

I am starting the San Salvador Sept. 2 I had hoped to start Sept 3rd but the albergue in Cabanillas didn't have space on the 3rd. La Robla is too far for us. Now online I see that the algergues in La Robla and Buiza are closed. Is that the case? If not where can we stay and what is the situation on the rest o San Salvador. We do not want to walk long days.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Are albergues open in La Robla and Buiza. Website says closed.

Are albergues open in La Robla and Buiza. Website says closed.
Yes, they are closed. There are two pensiones in La Robla, but I would definitely recommend contacting them to see about a bed. I have not had any direct contact with them because the people I called for wanted to walk on to Pola de Gordón.

In Pola de Gordón (about 7.5 km beyond La Robla), there are also two pensiones. There had been workers staying in both of those pensiones during the week. Pilgrims were able to sleep there on weekends, but it was dicey during weekdays. The Pensión 15 de mayo uses WhatsApp and the Mesón de Miguel does not, but I have spoken to them on the phone.

In Buiza, you are left with nowhere to stay, I am afraid. There is some fancy casa rural type place up there but I have heard loud and clear from them that this is not a pilgrim place.

After Buiza, the next possible stop is Poladura de la Tercia. Albergue closed but the wonderful Casa Rural Posada de Embrujo is giving pilgrims great deals and serves a very nice meal.

Pajares has two places to stay, again the albergue is closed. But there is both a Pensión Mirador and a Casa Rural, Posada Real

Gronze shows that the new albergue in Llanos de Somerón is open (at least there is no indication that it is closed). Bendueños, a few km further on, is in theory open, but several pilgrims have been unable to stay there. On both occasions Sandra said she was closed because of something.

Campomanes has two pensiones. Pola de Gordón has a hotel and a pensión, and Mieres has lots of options.

The threads @trecile linked to have more information, but if you post your proposed stages,the Salvador veterans can help.

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oops, I see you answered my question before I asked it :). What stages did you do? By any chance did you get to the wonderful new albergue in Bendueños?
Leaving Leon for San Salvador tomorrow. Super excited. Meeting Ender in La Robla in a couple if days. Thrill of a lifetime Got taxi service for backpacks thank God

Leaving Leon for San Salvador tomorrow. Super excited. Meeting Ender in La Robla in a couple if days. Thrill of a lifetime Got taxi service for backpacks thank God
Glad you got taxi service for your packs, that was something that seemed unclear — you should post more about that when you get back so others can find it more easily.

And tell Ender not to forget that I’m coming a few days behind you, fingers crossed!

Buen camino, @Canche!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Glad you got taxi service for your packs, that was something that seemed unclear — you should post more about that when you get back so others can find it more easily.

And tell Ender not to forget that I’m coming a few days behind you, fingers crossed!

Buen camino, @Canche!
I will tell Ender. Hope i can meet up you at some point, perhaps in Santiago I will post more later on my experiences. Buen camino. P S you will probablypass me 😉

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back