• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Santander

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2016)
Personally I would recommend not to stay in the official albergue de peregrinos in Santander (it's near the plaza de ayuntamiento).

The lady seemed perfectly pleasant upon arrival but I felt like I was being treated like a child. I understand that some albergues have a 10pm curfew, but she meant it. I went out for dinner and arrived back 10 minutes late. She had locked the door and left to go home. This meant that I could not get in and had to find accommodation elsewhere (which I fortunately did but unfortunately had to pay quite a bit for). But even had anyone heard me knocking they wouldn't have been able to open the door because it was LOCKED SHUT. I don't know what she thought would happen if a fire had broken out. I'm guessing there may be a fire door but we certainly were not told about it. We didn't even think to ask because we didn't think we were being trapped inside! Smokers were told they couldn't smoke after 10pm either. To make matters worse as soon as she left she turned off the electricity and the wifi! She also asked my friend to mop the bathroom floor before she had used it.

The was by far the worst experience I have had so far. In the morning there was no apology, no remorse and she refused to return the €10 I paid in order for my bag to have a bed to sleep in. In fact I later found out that when my friends told her that I had not returned yet from dinner she said it wasn't her problem.

I think she needs to walk the Camino herself in order to learn some compassion.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I remember it as crowded, boiling hot and having the most cramped kitchen outside of a submarine. The idea of being locked in there is frankly terrifying. Someone should report her to the town hall for putting lives at risk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our friend was locked out the very first night in St Jean! His cellphone rang just as we got back at 10pm, so he quickly stepped round the corner to take the call. 5 minutes later he found the door was locked. From the upstairs window we offered to toss his sleeping bag down to him :D. (He didn’t find that funny :mad:.) After a while the caretaker came through from the back (where, incidentally, there was a big sign indicating the Fire Exit), and, laughing, he unlocked the front door. Jill

Personally I would recommend not to stay in the official albergue de peregrinos in Santander (it's near the plaza de ayuntamiento).

The lady seemed perfectly pleasant upon arrival but I felt like I was being treated like a child. I understand that some albergues have a 10pm curfew, but she meant it. I went out for dinner and arrived back 10 minutes late. She had locked the door and left to go home. This meant that I could not get in and had to find accommodation elsewhere (which I fortunately did but unfortunately had to pay quite a bit for). But even had anyone heard me knocking they wouldn't have been able to open the door because it was LOCKED SHUT. I don't know what she thought would happen if a fire had broken out. I'm guessing there may be a fire door but we certainly were not told about it. We didn't even think to ask because we didn't think we were being trapped inside! Smokers were told they couldn't smoke after 10pm either. To make matters worse as soon as she left she turned off the electricity and the wifi! She also asked my friend to mop the bathroom floor before she had used it.

The was by far the worst experience I have had so far. In the morning there was no apology, no remorse and she refused to return the €10 I paid in order for my bag to have a bed to sleep in. In fact I later found out that when my friends told her that I had not returned yet from dinner she said it wasn't her problem.

As I remember this particular albergue, it was certainly not an uplifting experience, but I didn't share yours. It wasn't the cleanest og places either. I didn't take notice of the problem of being locked up, but I agree with you. It doesn't Seem safe. As for the curfew thing, I don't agree though ...

It's a long walk out of Santander( if you want to walk it) so an early start is needed, and a lot of people do go to bed very early. If you arrived back at 10.10pm then went to the toilet, sorted out your stuff- if you haven't already, clambered between the tight squeeze that is the dorm at that albergue then you are looking at 10.30-40pm before you settle. I have pushed it at some Albergues, but I usually check the no entry after time and get back 20 minutes before it. I wouldn't have liked it if I was locked out, you will probably look back and laugh it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi,

I wonder if that was the same hospitalera as in 2011 (or am I stupid? Hospitaleros in municipal albergues take turn? I don't know?). The group that I was in found her annoying I remember. They were always civilized when they spoke to her, but secretely they admittted to me that she was "mala leche", sour milk, ha ha...

Anyway, the curfew has to be respected, why would anyone have a curfew it it's not supposed to be there. 10:00 (or whatever) means 10:00.

BUT: What you write about the locked-shut-part is horrible. Accidents do happen and you have to be able to get out of there in case of emergency, like fire. I agree with you: she should have shown you an emergency exit. It's not just about fire: people can fall suddenly ill and you'll loose quite a while there if you have to call the hospitalera in order to open the door. Did you report this to... I don't know... The Asociación of the Camino? Guardia Civil (ok I don't know if it's their business)? It may sound exaggerated, but accidents do occur...

Otherwise your descritpion reminded me of the accomodation in Burgos (municipal)... Boy I could write about that... But I never heard anyone complain about Burgos so I'm pretty sure our experience was an exception...

Thanks for posting!!

BP

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.