• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Red feet

Margie Macdonald

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Hi. I'm leaving for my Camino in early September and have a foot problem. I've been training in my boots and lined socks for months, but just recently, after walking in the heat and further/longer than usual, the tops of my feet are turning red and warm and remain red for about 24 hours; there is no pain. Is this a "hot spot"? This may be a result of swelling so that the tops of my feet rub against the top of my boots. I'm hesitant to get new boots as there is little time to wear them in. Any suggestions? Many thanks for any advice, Margie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi. I'm leaving for my Camino in early September and have a foot problem. I've been training in my boots and lined socks for months, but just recently, after walking in the heat and further/longer than usual, the tops of my feet are turning red and warm and remain red for about 24 hours; there is no pain. Is this a "hot spot"? This may be a result of swelling so that the tops of my feet rub against the top of my boots. I'm hesitant to get new boots as there is little time to wear them in. Any suggestions? Many thanks for any advice, Margie

Hi Margie,

It could be a bit of everything.
But please consult a gp or health practioner just to be on the safe side.
Good luck.

It sounds to me (with no medical training) like a variation on hikers' rash, golfers' vasculitis, etc. (Search those terms here and on google.) Sometimes when I get the rash on my calves, I also have redness on the tops of my feet. It is generally nothing to worry about, although it is unsightly! Experimenting with different socks might help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My guess is it is a form of "heat rash" the clue being the longer and hotter walks. Have you seen any signs of it being around your ankles under your socks are your socks get wet from sweat when walking?

My wife gets it so bad it looks like she is bleeding under her skin. We live in Houston were a lot of our hiking is done in the extreme heat and humidity. She solved her problem by stopping a lot changing her socks several times a day and airing out her feet when we stop. She also changed her boots from goretex to non waterproof ones which dry out faster and are cooler.

Is this a "hot spot"?

Hi, no, a “hot spot” is a small spot, anywhere on your foot, that will develop into a blister if you don’t stop immediately and prevent the friction, or rubbing, that is causing the blister to form. The culprit could be, for example, an ill-fitting sock, or a grain of sand wedged between your heel and the back of your boot.

This is heat rash only 6 miles in Houston summer !

Attachments

• IMG_2589-2.JPG
    IMG_2589-2.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 74
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you feel you want to change your boots but are worried about wear in time drop the idea of wearing boots altogether and get trail runners. I highly recommend Saucony Peregrine 6 there is virtually no run in time and they are so light on your feet. They have comfortable padding, fantastic traction, a soft sole and are quick drying.
Check out this article from Clever Hiker called "5 reasons to ditch your hiking boots"
http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

A) Go see a doctor or podiatrist.

B), since you'll be walking in earsly september, consider walking in sandals. More air, less heat.

C) Consider ditching the liner and use a simple pair of wool socks.

Best of luck. You are lucky to have gotten this problem now and not on route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Margie
I think you gave yourself a 'good test run' taking it longer and in the heat. You will encounter similar 'long' walks and hot walking in September, Spain.
Mine swell and overheat in same area as yours given the conditions,( hot walking, carrying weight and specially if boots are goretex plus, I believe you have double layer socks) . Equals very 'Toasty' feet.
If you don't want to change the boots to more breathable ones, make sure you stop more frequently, take to boots off and cool your feet off. If you see water or pass by stream, cool feet in that or tap etc. If you can elevate feet , this helps plus ice.

Always keep up your fluid intake in the heat too .
Buen Camino
Annie.

Dear Margie,

I will start in September as well, and my prepartory walks have resulted in the same red foot condition. I think it is "prickly heat." I have found that soaking my feet in cool water for 20 minutes following my walks has helped quite a bit. And the more I train, the less the problem becomes. Hope this helps.

Rich

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My guess is it is a form of "heat rash" the clue being the longer and hotter walks. Have you seen any signs of it being around your ankles under your socks are your socks get wet from sweat when walking?

My wife gets it so bad it looks like she is bleeding under her skin. We live in Houston were a lot of our hiking is done in the extreme heat and humidity. She solved her problem by stopping a lot changing her socks several times a day and airing out her feet when we stop. She also changed her boots from goretex to non waterproof ones which dry out faster and are cooler.
I have the same problem, my feet and ankles get a really red rash, not sore but takes a couple of days to go down...not sure if it is the socks or my sensitive skin...never had this problem till I started wearing marino wool socks and hiking in warm weather for 3/4 hours.

1) See your Doctore
2) Consider allowing enough space in your pack for your boots toward the end of the Camnio and look to wearing walking sandals to start.
3) Keen Whisper Walking sandals are mid range pricewise. I just got a pair last week and will start Sep 1/16 at St Jean. These sandals were well sized and I have not had to break them in at all. Very comfortable and designed to get wet and dry out quickly.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so much for all yoor help! This forum is fabulous. I'm trying lots of things you have suggested and am also seeing my doctor.THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Hi Margie, whenever I ware new boots for the first two or three time I always damp (even wet) and wear my socks, and the problem goes away. Maybe it will work for you to.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No matter what sort of sock you use always be very careful to use a mild bar soap or even better, a liquid Eucalyptus wash on them . Rinse at least twice afterwards before hanging to dry . Any residual washing powder will cause all manner of problems in socks ; rashes and the provision of a fungus friendly environment are only two .

I had the same . The meainings about goretex are very different from person to person. I thought also maybe the goretex caused this problem. When your WiFi changed shoes she doesn't have that red spots anymore?

I had the same . The meainings about goretex are very different from person to person. I thought also maybe the goretex caused this problem. When your WiFi changed shoes she doesn't have that red spots anymore?
WiFi is Wife :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mine clears up in 3 days if I remove the conditions that cause it. I didn't suffer from it on the camino. From my reading, there is no other commonly agreed cure.
What did you change and remove?
Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had the same, also at my ancles under my socks. What is the best way to cure it?
Yellowfriend,
The goretex treatment makes your feet hotter because of the waterproofing. The non goretex shoes breathe better and also dry out faster.

My wife also soaks her feet in cold water when possible and it helps clear up the red rashes faster . She still gets it but controls it better. She also puts ice in a bandanna and ties it around her ankle when we stop.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.