Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone tried the Wool Caminos?

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
I saw this intriguing framed map on the wall of the municipal albergue in Tineo, made out of wool and pearly beads! Who made the map? I think one is the Pola route and one the Hospitales, but what about the other and the crossover? Has anyone on the forum tried these routes? Does any guidebook show them? Or will they always be a woolly mystery?

[Click the thumbnails for more detail.]

Attachments

• IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 62
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Red one is the Pola de Allande route used nowadays.

The White (or grey) one is the Hospitales route although the Hospitales route just passes through the Northern most edge of La Mortera.

The Blue one is an (AFAIK) unused ancient detour/variant taken by pilgrims that visited the Monastery of S. Miguel (St. Michael) in Bárcena del Monasterio.

The Yellow one, I'm not sure about it. There was a direct route from Tineo to Pola that didn't go through Obena. It seems to me that the route showed on the map is a liaison from Obena (let's recall King Alfonso IX forced pilgrims to go through Obena) to a close to Obena point of the direct route (either Gera itself or somewhere before Gera) continuing from that point onwards on the direct route. Maybe, once pilgrims were forced to go through Obena, some of them looked for the way to link Obena with a close point to Obena in the former route so they could return to known territory as soon as possible being that the route showed on the map but that's just a guess.

If you read Spanish, take a look at Nuestras raíces patrimonio histórico written by Manuel (Fernández) de la Cera and available at his web: http://manueldelacera.com/articulos/libros.html for detailed info about camino routes and history in the area of Tineo.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.