• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Peaceloving American...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a Canadian who often walked along with US pilgrims, they seemed to get the same treatment and welcome as the rest of us. The only instance I encountered was over ten years ago, shortly after the invasion of Iraq, when a German student was complaining in Castilian about George Bush and the other Texans to the elderly pilgrim with whom he had walked for some hours, and had it gently broken to him that he had been walking alongside a dangerous Texan all the way. The student apologized and bought us a round of cerveza.

Just walk, be grateful, always use por favor and gracias and, when in a grocery shop, never touch the fruit!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
..seeks input on being identified as an "American" on the Camino. I welcome insights on safety, local opinions and cultural norms.
As a fellow peace loving American, I wondered the same thing...the summary of my previous searches on the forum is that some people wear a small flag patch (as pilgrims from many nations do) and have had no issues. Others have chosen not to.

It is truly unfortunate that such a question is necessary as I love my country and its flag...

I ultimately chose to get some small custom buttons made on Zazzle: the seals of California and the County of Los Angeles, my Archdiocesan coat of arms and a symbol of my parish church. I will wear those on my backpack while I'm walking as they represent who I am/where I'm from.

Other people's mileage, of course, will vary!

Ultreya,

-Jason

Last edited:
It is a non-issue on the Camino, at least that was my experience. I greeted everyone and talked with everyone as well whether they were pilgrims, hikers, or locals. Never were my beliefs questioned nor did I have to answer or feel uncomfortable about anything. I also always felt safe too . . . well there was that one time when I met the bull in the forest just before sun up but that is a different story.

As an American who is married to an Irish man and has been living in Ireland for many years, I sometimes referred to myself as an American who lives in Ireland or, when feeling lazy, said I was Irish. I don't remember the attitude or reaction being any different regardless of the answer. While the Irish believe that all the world loves them ;) and Americans often worry that it doesn't :(, I think the Camino is generally populated by peace loving sorts of all nationalities. Enjoy!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my experience it's a non-issue, and there are many pilgrims from the US. As a peaceloving Israeli I must say I had no problems at all (not even with peaceloving Lebanese pilgrims!) so you'll probably be fine too.

People hardly talk politics at all, to be honest. Or maybe they didn't want to do that with me ;p

It simply is not a problem...as long as you act in a respectful and courteous manner, you will be accepted the same as everyone else.
Complaints about the service in 6 euro albergues will not gain you much respect, however.
Americans (from the U.S.) were a bit rare about 4 years ago..but are now one of the larger groups. I can recall not seeing anyone else from the U.S. in 2009, 2010, 2011 and only one in 2012.
No one is surprised to see Americans now.

The APOC facebook pages do reflect that many new U.S. Pilgrims seem to have some strange expectations and may be disappointed with the reality of the camino. Much of the talk revolves around buses, taxis, pack transport and which sections to skip because they are boring or difficult. Not much about the actual walking and interaction of pilgrims.
I am afraid this could lead to U.S. Pilgrims being identified by other nationalities as egotists, arrogant, and spoiled. I actually have been teased by hospitalaros and other pilgrims about this issue.

(Note to @jrit and other North and South American folks....I was careful to point out that I was referring to U.S. people and not including the more general American population :):cool:)

Last edited:
I agree this is a non issue as @Mike Savage mentioned, I met many nationalities on the camino and to be honest couldn't differentiate between any of them. I felt they were all pilgrims and treated all as such. The camino is a great leveller of nationality, class and job and in my view that's how it should be kept.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In my experience it's a non-issue, and there are many pilgrims from the US. As a peaceloving Israeli I must say I had no problems at all (not even with peaceloving Lebanese pilgrims!) so you'll probably be fine too.

People hardly talk politics at all, to be honest. Or maybe they didn't want to do that with me ;p
I would have LOVED to talk with you, politics or anything else. I met ONE pilgrim from Israel and it was fantastic talking to him. Israel has been on my "wish list" for a long time. I hope it happens, Buen Camino :) Caesar

..seeks input on being identified as an "American" on the Camino. I welcome insights on safety, local opinions and cultural norms.
My opinion for what its worth would be to agree with "grayland"i cant foresee a problem for anyone as long as they behave in a respectful and courteous manner most pilgrims i think will be happy to chat. I have found, if you are travelling alone or in a very very small group its an even better experience, as a mob or pack of any nationality tend to stick together more..,smile and don't be shy about offering a seat at snack/beer/meal times, oh and buen camino to anyone you meet . I wish you well,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my most recent Camino, I only me one person who identified themselves as an American. There were many others from the Americas, some who knew which continent they lived on, but most knew which country they were fromo_O.

Most Americans I met were good company and were generous spirits, irrespective of the country they came from.

You have bought into the nonsense that everyone hates Americans. I travel extensively and in my experience have found that this is not true. People hate rudeness and vulgarity, which some Americans (as well as people from many other countries) display. People may dislike the strength that we project or our foreign policies, but the average person is able to distinguish individuals from their politicians. I found that the people of Spain love American tourists. Especially the ones who try to speak the language. In my case, I'm fluent so I was able to have extensive conversations on the topic :)

I would never not say that I'm an American when traveling. I'm proud of it and represent my country well :)

While hiking in France I learned that many of my fellow hikers called me "the American" because I was pretty much the only one around. When we talked politics I said that my US left politics would probably put me somewhere in the center in France. That always produced laughs and cries like "But there is no center in France." (Maybe you had to be there.)

The only real political discussion we had was about the different ways the separation of church and state is understood, which got some of the French into a pretty heated discussion about their own track record.

And on one occasion, though nothing was said, a French hiker who was a (minor) Communist Party official bought me a beer. Nothing had to be said. We were both Camino-ists.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my most recent Camino, I only me one person who identified themselves as an American. There were many others from the Americas, some who knew which continent they lived on, but most knew which country they were fromo_O.

Most Americans I met were good company and were generous spirits, irrespective of the country they came from.

Well said Dougfitz. Americans come from the top of North America to the bottom of South America.

I think jingoistic forms of nationalism are not attractive regardless of the country, but the only time I have seen that on the Camino was from another Australian with a largish flag waving off her backpack, in a group of other Australians. I really did feel embarrassed, especially as they traipsed into a bar and used the facilities and walked out without buying anything.

The normal flag symbol sewn onto a backpack is actually quite helpful. Just be aware that your country may be judged by your behaviour. Your fellow countrymen are likely to be your strongest critics.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well said Dougfitz. Americans come from the top of North America to the bottom of South America.
In defence of those people from the US that do refer to themselves as Americans, there is the difficulty that there is no convenient label between saying what state one is from, and the continent or region itself. People from the United Kingdom can refer to themselves as British if they don't refer to themselves as English, Welsh, etc. If one is from North America, identifying oneself as a Canadian, Mexican or as a citizen of one of the many other states and territories that might be considered part of North America is relatively easy. That is not so for the US, and while I have made a little fun of it, it is, nonetheless, a practical solution that most people know how to interpret to say one is American.

In defence of those people from the US that do refer to themselves as Americans...

I would add that, for better or worse, "Americans" is what we all actually call each other here in the US when we refer to our collective nationality. It is the demonym for ourselves that we've learned since we were little children and we don't have any intention of 'claiming' the rest of two continents by using it. :)

Ultreya,

-Jason

In defence of those people from the US that do refer to themselves as Americans, there is the difficulty that there is no convenient label between saying what state one is from, and the continent or region itself. People from the United Kingdom can refer to themselves as British if they don't refer to themselves as English, Welsh, etc. If one is from North America, identifying oneself as a Canadian, Mexican or as a citizen of one of the many other states and territories that might be considered part of North America is relatively easy. That is not so for the US, and while I have made a little fun of it, it is, nonetheless, a practical solution that most people know how to interpret to say one is American.
Doug
I never thought of it that way so thank you.
When asked I say Montana. If I get a blank look then say United States. As the U.S. Is culturally different in areas. I find the same when speaking with Canadians from different Provinces. I simply find the more one travels the world the more a person realizes that humanity is the same good & bad. On the Camino my experience was good 95% bad 5%.
Keith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Doug
I never thought of it that way so thank you.
When asked I say Montana. If I get a blank look then say United States. As the U.S. Is culturally different in areas. I find the same when speaking with Canadians from different Provinces. I simply find the more one travels the world the more a person realizes that humanity is the same good & bad. On the Camino my experience was good 95% bad 5%.
Keith
That was part of my rationale for carrying a California seal on my backpack...since people in the US are citizens both of the nation and of their individual state, claiming to be a Californian is both true and more descriptive.

-Jason

In Spain just say "soy estadounidense"!

When asked I say Montana. If I get a blank look then say United States. As the U.S. Is culturally different in areas.
That was part of my rationale for carrying a California seal on my backpack...since people in the US are citizens both of the nation and of their individual state, claiming to be a Californian is both true and more descriptive.
I'm always in a bit of a quandary as to what to say when people ask where I'm from. Not only to I travel so much for my work that I'm only in my home state for part of the year, but that state (where I as born and where I feel most connected culturally) is completely different from the continental US. I feel as much in a foreign county in (say) New York or California as I do in Spain.
So @Deacon Jason, thanks for the good idea--a state flag is more descriptive and probably a good conversation starter, too.
And I've met only a few pilgrims who weren't peace-loving--and that was the vino tinto talking. Peace is what the path seems to be about--you'll be in good company @ASingleStep. Kindness is without nationality.
About cultural norms (and about Albergue cultural norms)--there's plenty of info here about that, so have a scroll through the threads. Mostly it's common sense, sensitivity, and respect. Not talking too loudly and learning a little Spanish (and trying to use it) go a long way.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-16_21-44-49.png
    upload_2016-7-16_21-44-49.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 9
You have bought into the nonsense that everyone hates Americans.

I would never not say that I'm an American when traveling. I'm proud of it and represent my country well :)
We had a Texas flag on our packs and it brought many comments and opportunities for conversation. Some asked where we were from, and when we said US-Texas we got the usual comment of "Oh, cowboys!" Sometimes we had a chance to explain that there were several very different parts and climates in Texas (a fact some Americans don't realize...). The flag is similar to Chile's so we were asked several times if we were Chilenos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a Canadian who often walked along with US pilgrims, they seemed to get the same treatment and welcome as the rest of us. The only instance I encountered was over ten years ago, shortly after the invasion of Iraq, when a German student was complaining in Castilian about George Bush and the other Texans to the elderly pilgrim with whom he had walked for some hours, and had it gently broken to him that he had been walking alongside a dangerous Texan all the way. The student apologized and bought us a round of cerveza.

Just walk, be grateful, always use por favor and gracias and, when in a grocery shop, never touch the fruit!
Great advice. Thank you.

As a fellow peace loving American, I wondered the same thing...the summary of my previous searches on the forum is that some people wear a small flag patch (as pilgrims from many nations do) and have had no issues. Others have chosen not to.

It is truly unfortunate that such a question is necessary as I love my country and its flag...

I ultimately chose to get some small custom buttons made on Zazzle: the seals of California and the County of Los Angeles, my Archdiocesan coat of arms and a symbol of my parish church. I will wear those on my backpack while I'm walking as they represent who I am/where I'm from.

Other people's mileage, of course, will vary!

Ultreya,

-Jason
Thank you for your valued insight Jason.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is a non-issue on the Camino, at least that was my experience. I greeted everyone and talked with everyone as well whether they were pilgrims, hikers, or locals. Never were my beliefs questioned nor did I have to answer or feel uncomfortable about anything. I also always felt safe too . . . well there was that one time when I met the bull in the forest just before sun up but that is a different story.
Do tell!

A telling example of the unifying power of peace. Thank you for your insight.

I agree this is a non issue as @Mike Savage mentioned, I met many nationalities on the camino and to be honest couldn't differentiate between any of them. I felt they were all pilgrims and treated all as such. The camino is a great leveller of nationality, class and job and in my view that's how it should be kept.
Very well said. Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some asked where we were from, and when we said US-Texas we got the usual comment of "Oh, cowboys!"
Even inside the US, the 'state stereotypes' are strong... after high-school one of my best friends moved to Dallas. He got so tired of people asking "You're from California? So you know how to surf?" that he started responding "yep, how do you think I got here?"

Last edited:
While hiking in France I learned that many of my fellow hikers called me "the American" because I was pretty much the only one around. When we talked politics I said that my US left politics would probably put me somewhere in the center in France. That always produced laughs and cries like "But there is no center in France." (Maybe you had to be there.)

The only real political discussion we had was about the different ways the separation and state is understood, which got some of the French into a pretty heated discussion about their own track record.

And on one occasion, though nothing was said, a French hiker who was a (minor) Communist Party official bought me a beer. Nothing had to be said. We were both Camino-ists.
Love that Camino-ist word. Aptly stated. Thank you.
I would have LOVED to talk with you, politics or anything else. I met ONE pilgrim from Israel and it was fantastic talking to him. Israel has been on my "wish list" for a long time. I hope it happens, Buen Camino :) Caesar

I'm always in a bit of a quandary as to what to say when people ask where I'm from. Not only to I travel so much for my work that I'm only in my home state for part of the year, but that state (where I as born and where I feel most connected culturally) is completely different from the continental US. I feel as much in a foreign county in (say) New York or California as I do in Spain.
So @Deacon Jason, thanks for the good idea--a state flag is more descriptive and probably a good conversation starter, too.
And I've met only a few pilgrims who weren't peace-loving--and that was the vino tinto talking. Peace is what the path seems to be about--you'll be in good company @ASingleStep. Kindness is without nationality.
About cultural norms (and about Albergue cultural norms)--there's plenty of info here about that, so have a scroll through the threads. Mostly it's common sense, sensitivity, and respect. Not talking too loudly and learning a little Spanish (and trying to use it) go a long way.
Thank you. Great sentiment. Kindness IS without nationality and kindness matters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I do not fasten a Canadian flag to my pack because I do not want to identify myself as "not an American." In my younger days, Canadians abroad apparently attached Canadian flags to their packs because our accents are similar to American accents and they did not want to be identified with Americans. I see this as an unfortunate slur on our best neighbours in the world. The only time that I did fasten a Canadian flag to my attire, I had just arrived in Dublin for a year's study when I was verbally attacked by an Irish student for some actions and policies of the then Canadian government. So I guess that "showing the flag" may start conversations which you would rather avoid with persons who make assumptions about you which may well be erroneous. Hopefully, other pilgrims will judge you by your behaviour, if they must judge at all. I love the international aspect of the camino, but I know that I still have much to learn about and from other cultures and nationalities. I shall try to keep an open mind and heart and let you teach me.
Gracious comments. Thanks.

Although Canada, the U.S., and Mexico are all located in North America, the names of the citizens are derived from their official name…

Canadians are from Canada

Mexicans come from Los Estados Unidos Méxicanos

Americans are from the United States of America

Perhaps it would be less confusing for the rest of the world if we were called United Staters but then we would still have problems with Mexicans (and maybe other countries as well?) who could claim the same nickname. The word America is not found in either of the other two countries official names, so it seems to be a natural choice.

I usually start by telling people I'm from California because it saves the inevitable next question... "Which State?"

Last edited:
seeks input on being identified as an "American" on the Camino. I welcome insights on safety, local opinions and cultural norms.

Don't worry. As other posters said, you shouldn't have any problem at all identifying yourself as American. In Spanish, you can choose to identify yourself as americano, estadounidense or norteamericano and you shouldn't have any problem either regardless of the term you choose. Problems might arise if you get engaged in political conversation with someone with different political ideas than yours (whatever they are) but that's true for people of any nationality including Spanish too.

Mexicans come from Los Estados Unidos de México

The official name of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

Perhaps it would be less confusing for the rest of the world if we were called United Staters but then we would still have problems with Mexicans (and maybe other countries as well?)

AFAIK, just the USA and Mexico include both United and States in their official name. There are other countries that include United (like the UK, the UAE or Tanzania) and there are other countries that include States (like Micronesia aka the FSM) but not both.

In defence of those people from the US that do refer to themselves as Americans, there is the difficulty that there is no convenient label between saying what state one is from, and the continent or region itself.

I don't know if it's convenient but there's who use USAian.

--a state flag is more descriptive and probably a good conversation starter, too.

I'm wondering how many Spanish know the flags of all the states of the USA. BTW, Ohio's one could surprise some people that didn't know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
or would that be the Estados Unidos Mexicanos - the United Mexican States?
You're right... The official name is Méxicanos. I've corrected my post, however, I don't think it affects my point. (In my defense, my Mexican husband says both are commonly used where we live.

The only animosity I've seen along the Camino has been shown to those who "jumped the queue" in cars and taxis (especially on wet days) and that was irrespective of nationality (you KNOW who you are!).

One citizen of California I met thought she was being called "a naughty American" but it turned out it was actually "una norteamericana" and I was amused by her reaction: "How did they know?" ;)

Just don't boast about how how big your blisters are compared to European ones and you'll do fine :)

I'm more worried about being a Europhile Brit . . . might opt for an Irish tricolour over the Union Flag! :(

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you're not used to pin different english accents to a nationality, it's often difficult to discern between North Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Irish, UK citizens, etc. Where I live (Costa Rica), all of us are "gringos". And I am Dutch. Go figure:eek:

Although Canada, the U.S., and Mexico are all located in North America, the names of the citizens are derived from their official name…

Canadians are from Canada

Mexicans come from Los Estados Unidos Méxicanos

Americans are from the United States of America
I'm afraid you will find many people make a point of reminding those who live with Mexico to the South and Canada to the North that Argentinians, Peruvians, Bolivians, Colombians, Hondurans, etc. are also Americans and that those between Canada and Mexico are known as Estadounidenses. Learning the word and telling people you are Estadounidense will get you browny points.

-Jason

An interesting point Jason and also interesting to see posts on how residents of the USA reply to "where are you from"
I think it can be a place specific response a lot of the time. When I am hiking on the Appalachian Trail in the U.S. and someone says Nebraska, I will respond with Ontario and we understand each other fine. When asked on the West Highland Way in Scotland, I respond with the broader Canada to start (until someone from Germany says: "do you know where Saskatoon is, I have a brother there) :) Often you will get the same response of Nebraska from the American. I am fine but the Dutch couple beside me were a little perplexed. I have found that it helps to start broad and narrow it down if the other party is interested

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Like others have said, no issues at all with being an American. When asked, I usually say that I am a Californian since the US is such a large country and pretty much everybody knows where CA is. This seems pretty common with Texans, New Yorkers, and Floridians also, but not so much with people from other states - like Bumpa said, people in other countries don't necessarily know where Nebraska is. But I didn't run into any problems as an American.

Regarding the issue of calling ourselves Americans - I usually say that I am from the US (United States, Estados Unidos, etc.), but when people from other countries introduce me, they invariably say that I am American or from America. I very rarely run into people who remind Americans that there are other people in the Americas who are also Americans - pretty much everybody that I know from other countries in the Americas is quite happy to identify themselves as Mexicans, Salvadorans, Argentinians, etc. The only time I run into this issue is with people who are specifically trying to pick at Americans or Estadounidense - those who assume that Americans are clueless and need to be told that there are other people in our hemisphere.

People hate rudeness and vulgarity, which some Americans (as well as people from many other countries) display.
this is exactly what I found to be true when I walked (May/June -2016)
I had forum patches sewed onto my backpack and also a U.S. flag - no one minded and it really didn't even matter...the whole time walking no one said anything except one person who said I like your flag patch. I saw a few people with flags from their respective countries.

I only had two encounters where two different gentlemen wanted to discuss current U.S. politics - I politely declined - end of conversation and we moved on to something else. I, too, love my country and I had no problem identifying myself as a U.S. citizen and then would say I was from Ohio, nobody really cared which was cool, BUT...when the gal I walked identified herself being from Texas - the standard comeback was COWBOYS!! and shooting a "finger" gun! haha....
Kanga is right - I felt most critical of my fellow countrymen when I saw bad behavior, but even then I kept it to myself (most of the time! haha)
Truly almost all people walking were kind and friendly. It was an amazing experience.

The only time I run into this issue is with people who are specifically trying to pick at Americans or Estadounidense - those who assume that Americans are clueless and need to be told that there are other people in our hemisphere.
If anything, it is more likely to be slightly mischievous than it is to be malicious. Besides, some of us are just curious, and perhaps we have a stronger geographic view of the world than a political one.

If anything, it is more likely to be slightly mischievous than it is to be malicious. Besides, some of us are just curious, and perhaps we have a stronger geographic view of the world than a political one.

Yes, the picking can be mischievous or malicious - and sometimes the line is hard to define ;) In my experience though, when people make an issue out of the use of the term Americans, it isn't out of curiosity and it is most definitely political, not geographic. What follows are usually comments about the US and it's imperialistic policies and so forth. You get the idea. Anyway, my reason for bringing this up was just to say it isn't a problem if people from the US refer to themselves on the Camino as Americans - no one will be confused and it is unlikely that anyone will make an issue of it.

Aseos, WC, restrooms in the bar are not open to the public. I made the mistake of walking into a bar and using the restroom then leaving, some point after sarria or portomarin. The lady at the bar was not very happy as I walked out and carried on with my camino. But hey, sh*t happens.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my pre-retirement existence, I have been at several events where the meaning of the term American was far from clear (US academics taking about American standards and American systems were perhaps the worst), but it was nowhere as much of a problem for Canadians at international events as was the use of the term norteamericano, which required constance intervention to make it clear that it was not one country north of the Rio Grande. On the Camino, I only twice heard norteamericano used, once meaning US, and the other time North American. But my initial post on this thread, in reminding pilgrims never to touch the fruit before buying is one which I continue to emphasize--- on no other subject have I seen as much distress caused by US pilgrims as on this. Do not touch the fruit, and everything will be just fine. Really, don't touch the fruit. Everyone loves you-- just don't touch the fruit.

As an Englishman walking the camino just before the referendum on whether to leave the EU or not, I found I had loads of political discussions with people from loads of different countries, including residents of the USA. I found (to me surprisingly) all the Americans to be really nice people, who didn't think we were all mad not carrying guns and weren't all going home to vote for Trump. Most people thought the British were totally mad even considering leaving the EU and were quite open about expressing this view and, I have to say I agreed with them. Biggest political laugh was when I told an Australian couple that those supporting Brexit were expecting the old commonwealth to rally round and help us out. That caused huge hilarity! Most confusing group were those who I thought were French who turned out to be from Montreal. The one thing every English speaking person needs to do is befriend a Dutch pilgrim, then you will always have an interpreter.

As an exercise to keep my memory in good condition (I'm 62) I memorized all the capitals of states in the US. And when I did my SJPP - Logroño in 2014 I met some Americans. So the conversation was like this:

Where are you from?
I´m American
Yes but what state?
From California
Capital Sacramento (easy)
Wow!
But, in Pamplona I met a girl from New York, who after some successful answers, she told me OK let's play now to capitals of Europe What's the capital of Moldavia?:( What's the capital of Estonia? :mad:
I was clearly defeated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But, in Pamplona I met a girl from New York, who after some successful answers, she told me OK let's play now to capitals of Europe What's the capital of Moldavia?:( What's the capital of Estonia? :mad:
I was clearly defeated.

You could have said her that she was asking for Capitals of European UN members while you had replied to Capitals of states of the USA (i.e.: Capitals of states of one of the UN members) asking her nicely to ask, for example, for Capitals of Spanish Autonomous Communities or for Capitals of French Regions or for Capitals of German States (Länder) or... well, you get the point.

P.S.: I suggest you to learn the Capitals of all (European) UN members.

One thing is for certain the warm hearts of the people of the world who walk or ride, makes the experience unique in a world overwhelmed by violence. Let me thank you all.

I tend to take the position that giving a helpful answer is more useful than literal accuracy. When asked, I say I'm from Seattle. Usually, people have heard of Seattle. If I say I'm from Washington, they have no idea it's not DC. Most often the next step is drawing a rough outline of the US with a mark in the NW corner.

We had several people tell us that they can tell most Americans because ---and this shocked me---because the Americans almost always deferred...letting someone go ahead in a narrow area, for service in a bar etc. In fact, one German gentleman said, "You (Americans) let the other pilgrims walk over you."

Early on the way communal dinners often turned to the election...I just said, "there's gotta be a more appetizing topic for dinner"...that's it.

I didn't wear a flag, but when someone asked, I would say I'm from Chicago -- everyone recognized the city. In one bar, it led to a hilarious conversation with a Spanish gent who told me how much he loved Chicago because of the jazzy jazzy music! How much he loved the black people because they could sing the jazzy jazzy so good! He asked me, reverently, if I knew them -- the black people? Being black myself, which he hadn't realized, I assured him that I did. This made him very happy, and he bought me a cerveza. Later, he played his Beyonce playlist on his phone for me.

There were a couple of times over meals, with numerous nationalities present, that people would ask me to explain something in American politics. These conversations were always curious and respectful, and usually moved on quickly to more exciting things.

I was surprised by the positive reactions I got on the camino when I identified myself as coming from New York.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would put a shell on my pack and identify myself as a fellow pilgrim....

That was my experience too. I did not walk as an American, though I was ready to say that I am American if asked. I walked as a peregrina, feeling at ease and at peace with everyone I met. To show my respect for the country I was in, I always tried to express myself in Spanish when I could. Sometimes that was a good ice breaker with a good laugh had by all at my not so successful attempt. We are all human, after all, and I usually find we have more in common than may at first be evident.

As pointed out, citizens of the USA are Americans but so are Canadians, Mexicans, etc. As a resident of Ecuador I have found that the Ecuadorians are proud to be Americans also. Therefore my wife has come up with a phrase that she hopes will become common to clear up any doubt. If asked, she says that she is a COTUS(Citizen Of The United States). (-;

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The number of "Americans" has increased significantly in the past couple of years I think due to the film. Recently I was asked many times if I had seen it. My only complaint about the Americans is when you get a group of young people sitting talking (usually rather loudly), making comments about absolutely everything and anything and when you ask them if they are from California, receiving the reply "wow, like, how did you know? "
Wow, like, that accent is a dead give-away.

You are a beautiful American Ambassador! Prejudices stems from ignorance... 35 years ago I barely stepped foot outside of my French Canadian town, I spoke very poor English and had all kinds of misconceptions of my Canadians neighbors... I move to the west coast and then I borrowed other people narrow minded ideas and stigmas regarding Americans (although I kept these to myself). Today I am closer to my true Self which is part of a large family of many "flavors", I no longer get very attached of "label" and I love it when false reputations drops away. One of my best friend is a Latino from the Bronx, N.Y., I can't wait to visit her someday... I did joke: "The Bronx? Don't they eat French Canadian there?"
Be yourself, people will recognize that they are in good company and it just happen to be a cool American! God Bless America... and Spain and Haiti and Columbia and France and............................!!!
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I never felt the need to express my nationality on my most recent walk on the Camino. The kindness and empathy of other pilgrims I experienced during the trip blurred any need of promoting my national identity. I truly felt like being a part of the global human family. Actually the experience made me feel all the more sensitive to incidents such as when a group of Americans sitting next to our table during supper in Los Arcos was loudly exchanging incessant trivial news from the home front with each other. Although there were about ten groups having dinner at this time, the decibel level of this group was high enough to drown any other sound in the room. I wonder if this type of behavior of a minority of Americans has been responsible for the coining of the phrase "Loud Americans." My advice to fellow Americans: Just go with the flow and respect your environment.

loudly exchanging incessant trivial news from the home front with each other
A large group of any nationality, visiting in another country and getting together to share impressions, can often get loud and annoying to others. I can think of this happening with several nationalities, including my own. It is something all of us can be aware of, whether we are in the loud group or observing the loud group. I've been in both situations!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A large group of any nationality, visiting in another country and getting together to share impressions, can often get loud and annoying to others. I can think of this happening with several nationalities, including my own. It is something all of us can be aware of, whether we are in the loud group or observing the loud group. I've been in both situations!
It would not surprise me if, as a general rule, we were more observant, and perhaps less tolerant, of the behaviour of others from our own country.

C clearly, I couldn't agree more... Indeed I have been on both sides of the fence (my French Canadian origin is a mix of friendly, approachable and LOUD!). I have married a lovely reserved man who was raised by a well mannered mother that was more British than Canadian... I have often said to my companion: "The perfect blend lies in the middle path between your way and my way!" (No, my kids did not turned out perfect.) This thread has surprisingly reminding me to be more tolerant and compassionate of "loud people"... I was one of them before 30 years of marriage to my quiet fellow... AND, he is louder now!!!

As pointed out, citizens of the USA are Americans but so are Canadians, Mexicans, etc. As a resident of Ecuador I have found that the Ecuadorians are proud to be Americans also. Therefore my wife has come up with a phrase that she hopes will become common to clear up any doubt. If asked, she says that she is a COTUS(Citizen Of The United States). (-;
I like it!

In my pre-retirement existence, I have been at several events where the meaning of the term American was far from clear (US academics taking about American standards and American systems were perhaps the worst), but it was nowhere as much of a problem for Canadians at international events as was the use of the term norteamericano, which required constance intervention to make it clear that it was not one country north of the Rio Grande. On the Camino, I only twice heard norteamericano used, once meaning US, and the other time North American. But my initial post on this thread, in reminding pilgrims never to touch the fruit before buying is one which I continue to emphasize--- on no other subject have I seen as much distress caused by US pilgrims as on this. Do not touch the fruit, and everything will be just fine. Really, don't touch the fruit. Everyone loves you-- just don't touch the fruit.
I really have to remember that about the fruit!

And technically Mexicans are norteamericanos too.

it was not one country north of the Rio Grande

The distinction that Wikipedia uses appears to be that the countries north of the Rio Grande are referred to as Northern America (America del norte?) whereas the wider region that includes Mexico, Cuba, etc is referred to as North America (Norteamerica?). Is that distinction commonly used elsewhere?

I have found at a number of international events and meetings that Latin American interlocutors will normally use norteamericano when speaking of the US. There appears to be only a very vague realization on the part of many that there is another country in North America. While we've been used to this for many years, it occasionally required clarification that there could be more than one response coming from North America-- this never ceased to puzzle people.

I have not found this on the Camino where the primary misunderstanding with which Canadians deal is that we are all from Québec and francophone-- as it is likely that the majority of Canadian pilgrims is French-speaking, this is understandable. In training sessions, I have long tried to make it clear to Canadian pilgrims that one does not touch the fruit. Ever. Ne touchez pas le fruit.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is also an Ireland USA in the state of Indiana.:D

...and another one of West Virginia.

Technically, some Mexicans could be considered centroamericanos.

The distinction that Wikipedia uses appears to be that the countries north of the Rio Grande are referred to as Northern America (America del norte?) whereas the wider region that includes Mexico, Cuba, etc is referred to as North America (Norteamerica?). Is that distinction commonly used elsewhere?

Not in Spanish speaking countries. AFAIK, the meaning you gave to Northern America (that could be translated as América Septentrional to differenciate it from North America, commonly translated as América del Norte or Norteamérica) is just used when talking about the UN geoscheme but the UN geoscheme is unkown for most people so it's very rarely used. We don't think either of Central America as North America. The same would be true for the Antilles. And we consider the Americas to be a single continent.

There appears to be only a very vague realization on the part of many that there is another country in North America.

In fact, there's a third one: Mexico. And people that consider islands part of the continent could also include other territories like St. Pierre and Miquelon, Bermuda and Greenland.
That's without entering in the debate of whether Central America and the Antilles are part of North America or aren't part of it.

Indeed, Castilian, you are correct in that Mexico is to be included and I have made the same point for many years-- I should have been clearer in my comments (as this is really quite tangential to the Camino, I was trying to be brief!!) as the worst offenders on this were Mexican businessmen and bureaucrats!

Still, I think that none of this takes away from my central point: Do not touch the fruit.

Indeed, Castilian, you are correct in that Mexico is to be included and I have made the same point for many years-- I should have been clearer in my comments (as this is really quite tangential to the Camino, I was trying to be brief!!) as the worst offenders on this were Mexican businessmen and bureaucrats!

Still, I think that none of this takes away from my central point: Do not touch the fruit.

@oursonpolaire
"This do not touch the fruit" thing appears to be part of French culture as well as Spanish, as I have met it in markets in Paris and in Montreal. But I noticed on my recent camino that in Spain it applies mostly to small shops. Most of the supermercados which I used now have systems of self packaging and weighing. I was able to choose my fruit, or vegetables, and put them in the plastic bag available. But the system of weighing and printing a ticket was often beyond me. If I figured it out in one store, it was sure to be different in the next. This slowed down things at the checkout and I am sure that the clerks who had to take the bag to weigh it had a low opinion of the competence of pilgrims. (No argument on that, at least for myself). So I would say, look around in the store. What are other customers doing? If there seems to be someone to pick out and weigh your fruits and vegetables, ask for what you want, or point if necessary. If there is a weigh station which seems to be self-serve, do the best you can. The locals know that you are a stranger and will hopefully give you the benefit of the doubt.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When you're in a food store, look around. If you see a sign - I think it says, "No toque la fruta" - don't touch the fruit. :)

In 90 days and multiple Caminos in 2012 I met two fellow Americans. But the fact that our numbers are small doesn't mean we can't be stereotyped--perhaps deservedly. No one treated me badly/different, though some made fun of my accent when speaking Spanish. And it was/is awful, stupid rolled r's. I'd laugh, them ask them in Arabic, Farsi, and Russian if my accent was better in those languages. (It isn't, I'm clearly American in four I speak well, and another three I have survival skills in). So I think it helped them not see me in a stereotype the US has kind of earned--English only. So learn a little Spanish and it will go a long way. In fact my knowing a couple of polite words in Euskera got me and three others who spoke excellent Spanish nto the albergue early in one Basque town. So I'd say the best way to avoid being stereotyped is learn Spanish for a trip to Spain (you may already be fluent). I think lack of language skills offends more quickly than political views.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think lack of language skills offends more quickly than political views.

I have never found that a lack of language skills caused offence. On the other hand complaining loudly and bitterly about the "stupid" Spanish barman/waiter/shop owner who fails to understand your demands in English may well do so. A gross discourtesy and arrogance by no means limited to any one nationality.

C clearly, I couldn't agree more... Indeed I have been on both sides of the fence (my French Canadian origin is a mix of friendly, approachable and LOUD!). I have married a lovely reserved man who was raised by a well mannered mother that was more British than Canadian... I have often said to my companion: "The perfect blend lies in the middle path between your way and my way!" (No, my kids did not turned out perfect.) This thread has surprisingly reminding me to be more tolerant and compassionate of "loud people"... I was one of them before 30 years of marriage to my quiet fellow... AND, he is louder now!!!
I have to ask has he lost his hearing as I have? I get told I am shouting... :)

In 90 days and multiple Caminos in 2012 I met two fellow Americans. But the fact that our numbers are small doesn't mean we can't be stereotyped--perhaps deservedly. No one treated me badly/different, though some made fun of my accent when speaking Spanish. And it was/is awful, stupid rolled r's. I'd laugh, them ask them in Arabic, Farsi, and Russian if my accent was better in those languages. (It isn't, I'm clearly American in four I speak well, and another three I have survival skills in). So I think it helped them not see me in a stereotype the US has kind of earned--English only. So learn a little Spanish and it will go a long way. In fact my knowing a couple of polite words in Euskera got me and three others who spoke excellent Spanish nto the albergue early in one Basque town. So I'd say the best way to avoid being stereotyped is learn Spanish for a trip to Spain (you may already be fluent). I think lack of language skills offends more quickly than political views.
Yes I agree learning or at least attempting to learn the language you are visiting goes a long way in relations, sometimes less opinion is better & I must say U.S citizens such as I am sometime learn the hard way that listening is a much better option. o_O

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Exactly @Bradypus! I was in a bar in Foncebadon waiting for the albergue to open. Someone (thank goodness NOT from the US) ordered a sandwich (in his native language) then followed the bartender into the back. Shouting ensued, and the pilgrim backed out of the kitchen, still explaining in his own language "I just wasn't sure you understood [language deleted to protect pilgrims country].." The bartender replied (in the pilgrims language) " I understand [pilgrims language], but You're in Spain! Speak Spanish if you want a sandwich. Get out!!" When I paid up I apologized for my heavy accent; he said he didn't mind speaking someone else's language but took offense when shouted at in it

All I know is we are lucky to have the neighbors we do in Norteamerica. Regardless of very bizarre politics. Canadians & U.S citizens are very well represented on the Camino yet we see few Mexicans or Island citizens, they represent a very large percentage of Christians on this continent.
I think discrimination is very evident in books used to educate. I am sure if you look at historical reference books written in Australia you will find examples of it as well. Mexico is certainly part of the North American Continent.
Keith

All I know is we are lucky to have the neighbors we do in Norteamerica. Regardless of very bizarre politics. Canadians & U.S citizens are very well represented on the Camino yet we see few Mexicans or Island citizens, they represent a very large percentage of Christians on this continent.
I think discrimination is very evident in books used to educate. I am sure if you look at historical reference books written in Australia you will find examples of it as well. Mexico is certainly part of the North American Continent.
Keith
Large number of Mexican pilgrims at Santiago airport yesterday morning - all wearing striking light blue "team" jackets!

I do try to speak as much Spanish as possible when in Spain and I'm told my accent isn't THAT bad (and, for some reason a tad lower in tone) but leaving Arzua on Monday morning there were two sisters in immaculate white outfits wishing pilgrims well.
I gave it my best "Buenos dias hermanas" and got back "Welcome, I hope you are having a good Camino!" in perfect english - how could she tell? - she certainly couldn't see the flag patch on my pack.
One thing I have noticed since the last time I did the Frances in 2012 is that not only are more and more pilgrims talking to each other in english (ie Danes talking to Italians) but non-native english speakers are using english to talk to our Spanish hosts.
Coming from a country well known for its lack of linguistic skills it seemed odd that having learned english with great fluency they had not thought to learn a few common phrases in Spanish or (increasingly) Galician.
Perhaps we should all contribute entries to a phrase book for pilgrims?

I do try to speak as much Spanish as possible when in Spain and I'm told my accent isn't THAT bad (and, for some reason a tad lower in tone) but leaving Arzua on Monday morning there were two sisters in immaculate white outfits wishing pilgrims well.
I gave it my best "Buenos dias hermanas" and got back "Welcome, I hope you are having a good Camino!" in perfect english - how could she tell? - she certainly couldn't see the flag patch on my pack.
One thing I have noticed since the last time I did the Frances in 2012 is that not only are more and more pilgrims talking to each other in english (ie Danes talking to Italians) but non-native english speakers are using english to talk to our Spanish hosts.
Coming from a country well known for its lack of linguistic skills it seemed odd that having learned english with great fluency they had not thought to learn a few common phrases in Spanish or (increasingly) Galician.
Perhaps we should all contribute entries to a phrase book for pilgrims?

I was in the fairly empty Oviedo albergue one night. A young man walked into the room I had to myself so far, speaking halting and badly accented French. I looked puzzled. He tried again in English, wanting to borrow my key. I asked him to be sure to give it back when he returned. "You would rather speak English?" he asked in surprise. "After 9 pm I only speak English" I laughed. "But you're French!" He said. Nope. Through most of the Camino and all of the Middle East, as long as I was silent some other poor country was blamed.

In Domus Dei, the only common language was English, but everyone's accent made it difficult for them to understand each other (Koreans, Dutch, Spaniards, Italian)...so I repeated everything said, translating English to English :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have seen other, rather humorously alternative: usanos (as in "people from USA"). And hearing the crowds shouting "USA! USA!" in international sport competitions, it makes some sense.

I was in the fairly empty Oviedo albergue one night. A young man walked into the room I had to myself so far, speaking halting and badly accented French. I looked puzzled. He tried again in English, wanting to borrow my key. I asked him to be sure to give it back when he returned. "You would rather speak English?" he asked in surprise. "After 9 pm I only speak English" I laughed. "But you're French!" He said. Nope. Through most of the Camino and all of the Middle East, as long as I was silent some other poor country was blamed.

In Domus Dei, the only common language was English, but everyone's accent made it difficult for them to understand each other (Koreans, Dutch, Spaniards, Italian)...so I repeated everything said, translating English to English :)
I spend a lot of time in Catalunya and without exception, in shops, bars & restaurants I am addressed in French. I've yet to figure that one out! (see photo, I'm the one in the middle)

I spend a lot of time in Catalunya and without exception, in shops, bars & restaurants I am addressed in French. I've yet to figure that one out! (see photo, I'm the one in the middle)
I think the language there is sort of a French-Spanish hybrid. On my cab ride from Pamplona to SJPdP the two women from Barcelona and the Basque cab driver continually corrected each other's Spanish :)
I just quietly muttered to myself about the nieve

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was careful there :oops: I also only used the Basque name for places traveling there (since the Spanish names had been painted over or chiseled off that wasn't difficult )...I have Irish grandparents, I can understand...

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back