• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino - Le Puy in September: A couple of Questions.

zdog59

Time of past OR future Camino
future: 2017
Hello All,

First and foremost, all you guys do a wonderful job posting information and answering questions on this forum. I’ve been reading and researching quite a bit here since May of this year when I decided to attempt my first Camino. To try and be mindful of all your efforts, I’ve gone through many of the posts here searching for answers to questions I’ve had. (Also, many of you have wonderful blog sites) While I’ve gathered a lot of information, I still have some concerns and thus why I’m posting this today.

This will be my first multi day solo hiking/walking adventure in a foreign country ever. Due to time constraints, I’m having to break up my full camino over 3-4 trips. I’m planning that this trip will be from Le Puy to Cahors and possibly to Moissac, For the past 2 months I’ve walked every morning with a 22lb pack between 3 and 7 miles before work. On the weekends I’ve been doing 7-10 on hilly terrain. The temperatures here have been in the mid to upper 90’s with very high humidity. I’ve had some battles with blisters and am stil trying to work out my shoe situation. So while I'm trying to do my part on the physical side, there are some not no physical things I'm trying to figure out ;). Anyway, any information you might want to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Mike Z

Lodging (I have the Miam Miam Dodo book)

1. Booking in Advance. I’ve read a lot on this subject and at the end of the day (no pun intended) just wondering what is the safest way? I’ve read where people have booked as far out as a year or as late at lunch on the day of. I’m thinking for me about booking the afternoon before for the next day. Would /should this be a problem? Also, I speak some and understand more French. Is it safe to assume that the people running the gites will/can help phone ahead to the next gite for you? (I’ve never stayed in a gite also and am not sure exactly what to expect.

2. Gites - is it necessary to put a deposit down when making a reservation the day before? My understanding is that most don’t take credit cards. If that is the case how can that be accomplished?

3. Personal Property - As for the above having never stayed in a gite, how secure is you property. I understand that any valuables should remain on your person, thinking more about backpack, clothing, etc?

4. To piggy back on the above, how about valuables? What do people do with their cash, important documents or electronics when showering, sleeping, on train, going out for dinner etc? I’ve read where it seems they go everywhere and maybe in a small backpack or something like that? Is it necessary to have a money belt or neck wallet? Hiking I expect to leverage the zippered pockets on my shorts.
Navigation (This seems to be a popular topic as well)

1. Maps - Is more than just the Miam Miam Dodo necessary? I’ve heard the route is very well marked. I planned on picking up a topo at the IGN Store in Paris on my way to Le Puy.
Misc

1. Health Insurance - Is it necessary to get travel health insurance? Does such a thing exist?

2. Food - I expect cured meats and cheeses to be a large staple in the diet. What are the best kinds that hold up well for hiking and lack of refrigeration? How long can one expect cheese or cured meats to last and how do you know when they are “off”?

3. Charging electronics. - I’m not bringing a lot, but do plan to have a phone for emergency. My goal is to unplug for a few weeks so expect to have it turned off. However, if I need to charge it, are there issues with charging in sites?

4. Anything else? - Feel free to chime in anything from washing clothes to whatever.
Again thank you very much for all your help! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this experience.

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Health Insurance - Is it necessary to get travel health insurance? Does such a thing exist?

Yes. Consult any insurance company. Lonely Planet sells online as do several others.

Charging electronics. - I’m not bringing a lot, but do plan to have a phone for emergency. My goal is to unplug for a few weeks so expect to have it turned off. However, if I need to charge it, are there issues with charging in sites?

I went late in the year. The albergues were not close to full. Even so I found charging a kindle reader to be a challenge as everyone tries to recharge electronics while there is but one electric outlet. I would suggest looking at solar panels that you can tie to your pack.

Food - I expect cured meats and cheeses to be a large staple in the diet. What are the best kinds that hold up well for hiking and lack of refrigeration? How long can one expect cheese or cured meats to last and how do you know when they are “off”?

Most hard cheese will last for a couple of weeks. You can tell its off when the colour changes from yellow to green. You can cut the green bits off.

Meat is a different matter. There are some that have so much preservatives that you can carry forever. Any meat that requires refrigeration usually shouldn't be kept for more than a day ... you can tell its off by taking a sniff and if that causes revulsion ... its bad.

Personal Property - As for the above having never stayed in a gite, how secure is you property. I understand that any valuables should remain on your person, thinking more about backpack, clothing, etc?

Anything that is shiny must stay with you. 'Shiny' is anything that is expensive and easy to carry off. If anyone wants to then steal your grotty underwear ... well ... the joke is on them.

That being said ... don't leave your pack sculling around where there is public access. There are enough of us that stash stuff in our packs to make them attractive to thieves.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Reserving the afternoon before is fine. I did it for four weeks without a problem, except for a few days where I just didn't bother, which worked out fine as well. Same time of year as you. Gîte owners will help but you probably won't need them. The people answering phone know why you're calling. Just day of the week, une personne, dormitoire ok?, meals too?, price ok?, first name. I translated my first name to French to make it as simple as possible.
2. No deposits.
3. Right. Keep money and passport on your person. Take them to the shower in plastic.
4. These items and my phone sleep inside my silk liner with me.

1. The markings are sufficient. Buy whatever makes you feel secure.

1. Health insurance depends on your country and certainly isn't necessary. My experience is that it's expensive for those from the US. You might tell us more about where you're from and what coverage you have at home -- you'll get specific answers that way.
2. You'll shop for food almost daily and it's unlikely you won't be wolfing down everything you buy before anything can go wrong. Expect to buy fruit as well. And items to share like nuts and chocolate and power bars.
3. I charged nightly wherever I was sleeping. Not an issue. I rarely had my phone on, so charging up to 100% was quick. Keeping it fully charged was my security blanket.

It's Buen Camino in Spain, but in France you'll hear: Bonne route! Bon courage!

You're all set. Have a great time!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Mike!! Great stuff, great info above... the only thing that raised a flag to me in your initial message is the 22lb of your backpack. One of the best advice I had received before leaving for my first Camino in 2013 was to bring minimum gear and keep weight as low as possible. Opinion differ, but a 12 to 14lb pack is suggested. On the long run, it makes a huge difference. And you need to plan for food and water that will quickly raise your carrying weight by 2 to 5 lbs.... I had a 14lb total backpack and was so glad ... some guys I was walking with had to leave so stuff along the way as they were suffering.... and they were fit. So that is the best advice, along with the importance of good shoes!!
Enjoy and Bon Chemin!!

I am leaving for LePuy this week, starting July 28 :)

Dan

Hi Mike,

Most of your questions have been answered above.

As well as the Miam Miam Dodo I carried the Michelin map guide No.161 'Chemins de Compostelle Le Puy to st jean Pied de Port. The Miam is a must for accommodation but the maps are not so good. The Michelin has better maps with an easy on the eye height profile guide too. it is small and light. I used this for my day to day uses.

Also check out my day to day blog here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/from-geneva-to-the-end-of-the-world.40650/
The Le Puy section starts on my day 24, about halfway down the first page. Lots of photos of every day. Take note though that I camped or slept outside on the trail a lot but I offer som accommodation recommendations too.

it is a lovely route, you will love it!

Bon Chemin
Davey

Thanks Bill and Whariwharangi!

How about your pack in the gite? Like if you went out for dinner?

Bill, I'm from the Virgina, USA and have a pretty good healthcare plan. It's on my list to contact them and see how/if they handle potential situations outside the US.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Bill and Whariwharangi!

How about your pack in the gite? Like if you went out for dinner?

Bill, I'm from the Virgina, USA and have a pretty good healthcare plan. It's on my list to contact them and see how/if they handle potential situations outside the US.

Hi Mike,

I never had a problem leaving my pack in gites to go out. Just remember to take all valuables with you.

Davey

Hey Mike!! Great stuff, great info above... the only thing that raised a flag to me in your initial message is the 22lb of your backpack. One of the best advice I had received before leaving for my first Camino in 2013 was to bring minimum gear and keep weight as low as possible. Opinion differ, but a 12 to 14lb pack is suggested. On the long run, it makes a huge difference. And you need to plan for food and water that will quickly raise your carrying weight by 2 to 5 lbs.... I had a 14lb total backpack and was so glad ... some guys I was walking with had to leave so stuff along the way as they were suffering.... and they were fit. So that is the best advice, along with the importance of good shoes!!
Enjoy and Bon Chemin!!

I am leaving for LePuy this week, starting July 28 :)

Dan

Dan thanks for the advice and have a great safe trip! Yeah, I plan to scale back the pack weight a bit. That weight is 22 with 2 L of water and a 3rd for my dog. I also have a few extras in the pack to practice on the heavy end. I expect it to go on a pretty good diet before I leave. I expect 14-17lbs total.

Dan thanks for the advice and have a great safe trip! Yeah, I plan to scale back the pack weight a bit. That weight is 22 with 2 L of water and a 3rd for my dog. I also have a few extras in the pack to practice on the heavy end. I expect it to go on a pretty good diet before I leave. I expect 14-17lbs total.

As for water, I quickly found out that most churches with cemeteries have a fresh water tap. I met a lot of pilgrims in French cemeteries! Also, even churches in the middle of nowhere tend to be open and are good places for a rest, shelter from the sun or rain and a bit of quiet contemplation.

Davey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I once got sick in Morocco and health care coverage from work paid all the costs, but that was about $250. The real concern is the cost of flying you home after a disastrous accident. I'm retired now and haven't found coverage I was willing to pay for, but that math and risk assessment is very personal.

Your backpack in a gîte? I've never worried much since I leave nothing critical in it. And I've not seen anyone take precautions. I suppose something happens from time to time, but you'll have to leave your socks drying on a clothesline and take your chances. I think you just have to decide what's worth worrying about and commit to trusting your fellow hikers.....just not with anything really valuable or cash.

The more likely problem is en route when you are tempted to drop your pack and explore a church or leave it outside a store "just for a second". It's important not to place temptations out there. Thus: regarder mon sac à dos s'il vous plaît

Hi Mike

No deposit required when booking a gite a few days before. If your itinerary changes, and you can’t honour the booking, be sure to phone them so they can release the bed to someone else. I was often turned away (I never booked ahead) because they were “full”, only to hear from other pilgrims next day that they had empty beds in their dorm.

I would suggest that you take out health insurance. If you are involved in a serious accident you will have heavy costs to pay if you have no medical cover.

Bon courage!

Jill (also known as Margaret)

The French just couldn’t get “Jill”. When I handed over my credential, they would ignore the “Jill” and write my second name, “Margaret”, into the register, so I found it easier to say my name was Margaret.

Hello All,

First and foremost, all you guys do a wonderful job posting information and answering questions on this forum. I’ve been reading and researching quite a bit here since May of this year when I decided to attempt my first Camino. To try and be mindful of all your efforts, I’ve gone through many of the posts here searching for answers to questions I’ve had. (Also, many of you have wonderful blog sites) While I’ve gathered a lot of information, I still have some concerns and thus why I’m posting this today.

This will be my first multi day solo hiking/walking adventure in a foreign country ever. Due to time constraints, I’m having to break up my full camino over 3-4 trips. I’m planning that this trip will be from Le Puy to Cahors and possibly to Moissac, For the past 2 months I’ve walked every morning with a 22lb pack between 3 and 7 miles before work. On the weekends I’ve been doing 7-10 on hilly terrain. The temperatures here have been in the mid to upper 90’s with very high humidity. I’ve had some battles with blisters and am stil trying to work out my shoe situation. So while I'm trying to do my part on the physical side, there are some not no physical things I'm trying to figure out ;). Anyway, any information you might want to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Mike Z

1. Booking in Advance. I’ve read a lot on this subject and at the end of the day (no pun intended) just wondering what is the safest way? I’ve read where people have booked as far out as a year or as late at lunch on the day of. I’m thinking for me about booking the afternoon before for the next day. Would /should this be a problem? Also, I speak some and understand more French. Is it safe to assume that the people running the gites will/can help phone ahead to the next gite for you? (I’ve never stayed in a gite also and am not sure exactly what to expect.

2. Gites - is it necessary to put a deposit down when making a reservation the day before? My understanding is that most don’t take credit cards. If that is the case how can that be accomplished?

3. Personal Property - As for the above having never stayed in a gite, how secure is you property. I understand that any valuables should remain on your person, thinking more about backpack, clothing, etc?

4. To piggy back on the above, how about valuables? What do people do with their cash, important documents or electronics when showering, sleeping, on train, going out for dinner etc? I’ve read where it seems they go everywhere and maybe in a small backpack or something like that? Is it necessary to have a money belt or neck wallet? Hiking I expect to leverage the zippered pockets on my shorts.

1. Maps - Is more than just the Miam Miam Dodo necessary? I’ve heard the route is very well marked. I planned on picking up a topo at the IGN Store in Paris on my way to Le Puy.
Misc

1. Health Insurance - Is it necessary to get travel health insurance? Does such a thing exist?

2. Food - I expect cured meats and cheeses to be a large staple in the diet. What are the best kinds that hold up well for hiking and lack of refrigeration? How long can one expect cheese or cured meats to last and how do you know when they are “off”?

3. Charging electronics. - I’m not bringing a lot, but do plan to have a phone for emergency. My goal is to unplug for a few weeks so expect to have it turned off. However, if I need to charge it, are there issues with charging in sites?

4. Anything else? - Feel free to chime in anything from washing clothes to whatever.
Again thank you very much for all your help! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this experience.

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hiked the Camino from St Jean to Santiago in 2014 and found that changing my socks half way through the day really helped. I also took the opportunity to rub some Compeed on. I'm continuing the journey this August as I fly to Lyon August 30th and then intend to walk from Le Puy to St Jean. I haven't booked any places to stay yet and am hoping that there will always be at least one bed available.
Wayne

Last edited:
Booking in Advance.
Remember that September is the most popular walking month, and the French like to walk in groups. So reserving a day or two in advance (no deposit is required) will improve your selection of lodgings. On the other hand, you will (almost always) be able to find a bed at some price.
  1. how about valuables?
  1. Keep your passport, credit cards, and iphone on your person at all times.
  2. [*]
    1. Charging electronics.
    1. Remember you'll need a European plug. Check the electronics shops at the airport and train stations for a Euro-plug USB charger.
      1. Anything else? - Feel free to chime in anything from washing clothes to whatever.
      1. The weight you are training with (22lb) is a good training weight; you'll be carrying 2-3L of water and food for several days as well. September can be quite hot and dry, and the French are famous for closing on Sundays, Mondays, market days, feast days, and if no guests have called ahead to reserve. Breakfast will seldom have protein, lunch will be in the middle of nowhere, and dinner may be hard to come by if you didn't book demi-pension.

Travel health insurance:
Your US health insurance will most likely not cover you in Europe. I do recommend you purchase travel insurance to protect yourself against significant medical costs such as hospitalization, medical transfer home, etc. Click on the website:
insuremytrip.com
After filling in basic info, you will be given a comparison of coverage and costs for several plans from different companies. I generally list a minimal cost for my trip and skip trip cancellation and lost luggage coverage since I want health coverage. I can generally get a policy for about $100-120 for a three week trip.

Personal property:
I generally carry all valuables in my zippered pockets so they stay with me at all times. I put passport, credential and cash in plastic sandwich bags to protect from sweat and rain (I hate money belts and neck wallets, but some people like them). At the gite, you should have a plastic bag to carry items to the shower (clean clothes, soap, valuables) which can also be used to carry items around town while your pack stays by your bed. I have used a reusable grocery bag (purchased at sport store or grocery store. Also a super lightweight day pack is good too. Here is a link to one that weighs nothing and folds to a tiny bundle:
https://www.rei.com/product/867165/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-daypack
I never worry about leaving my pack at gite/albergue since there are no valuables in it.

Food: I have carried cheese and cured sausages for a week without any problem. I generally try to purchase small amounts. Bring small Tupperware container or plastic sandwich bags (zip locks) -they are handy for carrying snacks. You will know when it goes bad...looks and/or smells bad;)!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re: health insurance. I took it for the first time this year. Check your credit card, your work benefits, your AAA membership if you have one to see what they have available. In the end I ended up going with the travel insurance available through Costco (I'm in Canada). It was the cheapest and had the broadest coverage (including things like a dentist and physios). Of course, in the end I didn't use any health services....But I was glad to have it.

Regarding protecting stuff when traveling alone....

In big-city albergues, I have used a small double-cable lock from REI to chain my pack to my bed. It wouldn't stop a determined thief, but it would slow someone down who wanted to walk off with the entire pack. At other times, when hiking with my daughter, we sometimes chained our packs together to make theft -- if not impossible -- at least awkward. It also gave us peace of mind when leaving packs in a train vestibule, far from our seats and out of sight, on routes with lots of stops.

It costs $17.50 at Recreational Equipment Incorporated (online sale) and weighs 1.5 ounces. (I know, incredible!)

Here's the link:

https://www.rei.com/product/812374/...331120&lsft=&gclid=CI7RurS0kc4CFZRbhgodrLwA-A

A friend and I will be starting from Le Puy on Sept. 8 so we will look for you, Mike. And if we're ever in the same gite, we'll gladly watch your stuff so you can shower!

Regards,
Rebecca Smith

Hi Mike,

It looks like you've gotten some pretty good answers here. You definitely will need your phone to call ahead the day before to reserve because you will be traveling in high season. The busiest months on the Le Puy route are May (most holidays) and September (when the senior citizens walk). I used an unlocked phone with a local SIM card but occasionally had to have my hosts call on a landline, especially in the Aubrac where cell coverage could be spotty. The only place I needed a down payment was to stay in the Abbey's gîte in Conques which fills up pretty fast. I lucked out and found a place in the Gîte Communal which was completely full that night. I almost had a problem in Cahors--remember the Miam Miam is the bible, so you have a better chance with places that are NOT listed there.

I took normal precautions with personal property and never had any problem.

You can get by the Miam Miam Dodo, the Topo Guides are great, and there is a little skinny Michelin Guide that was good for elevation, had little icons as to whether there were grocery stores, etc. available. I took the Célé Valley variant so I very much needed to plan in advance (no amenities, fewer places to stay), and occasionally took advantage of the demi-pension as a result. You definitely need to call in advance for that and the French tend to reserve ahead anyway. Stock up in the larger towns when there is a grocery store. Some gîtes would make you a lunch to take with you for a few Euro. Talk with your fellow pilgrims en route--they can be a wealth of information.

Bonne route and Ultreïa!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
" I’ve had some battles with blisters and am stil trying to work out my shoe situation. "
I have posted a number of times my infallible solution to no blisters.
Coat your feet with Vaseline before setting out . Before I was advised of this remedy I got blisters, afterwards never a blister.
Also a shower in the morning might make your feet softer so avoiding that might be something further to add to a prevention regime.

Mike, You mentioned water for your dog and that you can read some French. Here's the blog of a woman who traveled with her dog that might be of interest http://marcher-vers-compostelle.com/2014/12/marcher-vers-compostelle-avec-son-chien/

Also someone that commented on her blog gave this list of dog-friendly gîtes as far as Figeac
:) : Puy en Velay hotel regional 0471093774 il faut demander le code d entree car ferme a 6h du soir
Privat d Allier gite Cabourne 0623460306 ou 0471572550
Saugues chalet du pelerin 0609600965
Chanaleilles cafe du pont 0471744163
St Alban hotel du centre 0466315004
Aumont Aubrac hotel 0466428552
Marchastel a 1km de Rieutort c est une chb d hote 0466325379
Nasbinals (pas sur du nom mais un nm semblable) hotel de France ou seul deux chb sont destinées aux chiens et leurs maitres 0466325019
St Come d Olt 0565480704 ou 0680723921(chb d hote)
Estaing auberge st Fleury0565440144
Espeyrac gite d Iris 0673594702
Conques le nid d Angel ch d hote 0660872861
Descazeville gite le mineur paysan 0565433344 ou 0623202997
st felix freja fon 056106897

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Travel health insurance:
Your US health insurance will most likely not cover you in Europe. I do recommend you purchase travel insurance to protect yourself against significant medical costs such as hospitalization, medical transfer home, etc. Click on the website:
insuremytrip.com
After filling in basic info, you will be given a comparison of coverage and costs for several plans from different companies. I generally list a minimal cost for my trip and skip trip cancellation and lost luggage coverage since I want health coverage. I can generally get a policy for about $100-120 for a three week trip.

Personal property:
I generally carry all valuables in my zippered pockets so they stay with me at all times. I put passport, credential and cash in plastic sandwich bags to protect from sweat and rain (I hate money belts and neck wallets, but some people like them). At the gite, you should have a plastic bag to carry items to the shower (clean clothes, soap, valuables) which can also be used to carry items around town while your pack stays by your bed. I have used a reusable grocery bag (purchased at sport store or grocery store. Also a super lightweight day pack is good too. Here is a link to one that weighs nothing and folds to a tiny bundle:
https://www.rei.com/product/867165/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-daypack
I never worry about leaving my pack at gite/albergue since there are no valuables in it.

Food: I have carried cheese and cured sausages for a week without any problem. I generally try to purchase small amounts. Bring small Tupperware container or plastic sandwich bags (zip locks) -they are handy for carrying snacks. You will know when it goes bad...looks and/or smells bad;)!

Laura,

Thanks for the information! I actually picked up one of those a bags a few weeks ago.

Thanks everyone for all the great information! Rebecca, thanks for the cable lock recommendation and hope to bump into you along the way. Kit, I was a bit concerned about it being the busy season. Jouffroy47, thanks for the info and the link. Looking forward to reading up. Unfortunately, I'll only be bringing collars and memories of the dog in the picture with me(he was my hiking companion for 15 years, I just lost him in March.) My new pup is still learning the ropes and will be staying behind on this trip.

One other questions that has come to mind. What kind of temperatures (normal) temperatures can be expected? I reviewed the historical data for 2015 and the avg hight temp came in around 69F and avg low around 49F. Does this seems about right? Trying to plan as the temps here will probably me in the 90s and lows only around 70 up to the point when I leave. I'm wondering if it's necessary to pack a warmer jacket. Currently I only have planned a pull over fleece. But was considering my nannopuff jacket. Also, can anyone chime in on the ratio of route being tarmac, dirt farm/country road and technical single track type trail.

**Side note, I think I'm having a hard time with blisters now b/c of the high humidity and heat here (and I sweat pretty good). I've learned that I can't wear waterproof shoes or wool hiking socks in this weather. Hopefully, it will be much different in France. ;)

Last edited:
It can get quite warm during the daytime, although quite cool at night and early mornings, especially in the Aubrac. I remember it being absolutely sweltering when I finally climbed out of Conques last September, and, although it had been fairly cool in the Aubrac, it was definitely warmer in the lower elevations. France has frequently been having little heat waves in the late summer, so I advise you to layer. For warmth, I had a fleece, a lightweight quilted vest, a merino wool base-layer shirt, and a featherweight rain jacket. I wore them all at some point, in various combinations.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Once you come off the plateau - that is to say, one day past Conques - you can expect afternoon temps in the high 80's at least and well into the 90's many days. Heat waves can take that into the low 100's. Night temps in the 50's; lower up on the plateau. I only wanted a fleece one night. So take a merino T-shirt and plan on layering up. You won't need an insulated jacket; a light vest at most. A lightweight water-resistant wind shirt is the lightest solution. Also your poncho/rain gear of course.

Hello All,

Thanks,

Mike Z

Misc

Mike
Dear Mike
It is normal to ask your self all these questions. They will dissapear after a few days; Le puy is the best to start.
First the reservation; if you want ot secure your self, do the reservation the day before. This will give you the flexibility. When you arrive in a gite in the afternoon, ask another person to call for the reservation for the next day. this is safer; you can alwasy ask for advice for the next gite. There are a few places where it is important like for the Sauvage , there are 40 places but always full, so you better reserve a week before ; this is exceptional ; I myself try not to make reservation; it will come to you the second year.
The stealing; I had not had any problem In 5 years, I just eared one woman which had her pack stolen in a village when leaving her pack alone on the place; This is exceptional ; this does not accur in the gites; We put all our iphone for charging and I had never ear any problem;
Deposit: never do that; if some gite ask for it , they are not good gites. One exception is the gite in Conques; they ask for it;
Yes take a small bag with your valuables and take it with you all the time , it is safer; in night put it in your bagpack near you.
Food : There are food availbable everywhere since there are plenty of pilgrims on the way; The morning breakfeast is typicall french with only jam on the bread. So I buy cheese and yoghourt the day before to complement the brealfeast. There is a full meal in the evening; for noon, the classical meal is some bread and cheese or ham either bough in the morning or on the way; you will see in the Miam Miam dodo if you cross a village with a chop and bakery..
The miam miam dodo is all you need ? All the useful information is in it; and for the rest, you will received advice from the other pilgrims in the gites; You can buy a ING map if you want They are will done but not alsolutely necessary. There is also a short Michelin Map which is very useful to decide about the next stop.
My advice is go at your pace. Never push your self especially when going up and you will go a long way; the walk can be difficult but not very difficult but you have to keep going for days and weeks ; Just learn to enjoy your walk; Try to avoid any hourly planing. just let it be open to the moment and to what happen on the way. There is no aim, no planning, nothing to prove, just to be there on the way.
Used shoes is a must and I take souple shoes to avoid blisters.
Be open and friendly and caring and you will receive plenty. You will become addicted. The camino: you do it with your hart as well as with your feets.
Bon Camino
Jose

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks again for all the information! I think all my duck are in a row, I leave exactly one month from today.

Mike

Kitsambler and Jouffroy47 -- thanks for the information on temperatures. I didn't know it would be that hot in September. Your information will help those of us traveling the same time as Mike to lighten our packs a bit. Always welcome assistance!
Regards,
Rebecca

Ok, The time is here. With a bit of anxiety and good amount of excitement I leave Virginia, USA today and should be in Le Puy on Saturday. I want to thank all of your help and information, it has been invaluable. If any of you happen to be on the route, I look forward to a chance encounter!

Thanks again!

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hope your Camino in France is going well @zdog59. All things being equal, I should be joining the Via Podiensis at Argagnon (about 80 km from SJPDP) at the end of this week.
It's been useful browsing the Le Puy section of this forum.
Suzanne :)

Health Insurance - Is it necessary to get travel health insurance? Does such a thing exist?
As the old saying goes, 'If you cant afford the travel insurance you can't afford to go"
In 2015 in Condom I put my passport through the automatic washing machine. I had to travel back to Embassy in Paris and wait around for an emergency passport with travel restrictions (it is all the Australian Govt. gives for lost passports) This meant cancelling the rest of our Camino and rerouting our way back to Australia as Dubai does not recognize an Emergency passport. $3200.00 later we were so pleased we had travel insurance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whoops @marbuck, that was one expensive set of clean clothes!
They were very clean Kanga. But all was not lost, we went back this year and finished our Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back