• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Someone with a fresh experience from the camino Torres ?

Time of past OR future Camino
Via De La Plata + Sanabres march-april 1050km 2015
Arles to Lodeve + Norte & Primitivo march-may 1250km 2016
Planning for Sureste and Torres march 2017
We plan to go the Camino Sureste starting in Alicante early March next year. But instead of walking the end at VdLP, as we have already walked in, we are thinking about taking the Camino Torres from Zalamanca and then via Portugal to Santiago. Variety is the spice of life :) Is there anyone here with some fresh info on Torres? Road markings, accommodation etc ?

Bless you all and buen Camino, where ever you go in your life

Helen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hello Helen,
yes I did this in april'16. Wow - What a great walk. It was better than I could ever imagined. Maybe more isolated than some can handle? not for those that want a cafe con leche every hour!
I met only 2 Italians in my first 13 days walking ...then walked into Ponte de Lima with 50 people at the Albergue! One of the Italians (Fabrizio) has done the walk twice ...see his blog on the Torres website mentioned above. I also have a email for him if needed.
Accommodation varies. Mainly Residencials or more basic.
Can't rely on arrows as few to be found .....BUT meet with Luis Quintales <lamq@usal.es> at the University of Salamanca. I met with him & he downloaded all the GPS track for me ....after all, he mapped the GPS tracking. Was just so helpful, as I was coming from Australia and really appreciated his support. The walk takes on a greater significance when you understand it's historical significance.
He was responsible for the Alumni Association of the University re-tracing the journey of Diego de Torres Villarroel .

hello Helen,
yes I did this in april'16. Wow - What a great walk. It was better than I could ever imagined. Maybe more isolated than some can handle? not for those that want a cafe con leche every hour!
I met only 2 Italians in my first 13 days walking ...then walked into Ponte de Lima with 50 people at the Albergue! One of the Italians (Fabrizio) has done the walk twice ...see his blog on the Torres website mentioned above. I also have a email for him if needed.
Accommodation varies. Mainly Residencials or more basic.
Can't rely on arrows as few to be found .....BUT meet with Luis Quintales <lamq@usal.es> at the University of Salamanca. I met with him & he downloaded all the GPS track for me ....after all, he mapped the GPS tracking. Was just so helpful, as I was coming from Australia and really appreciated his support. The walk takes on a greater significance when you understand it's historical significance.
He was responsible for the Alumni Association of the University re-tracing the journey of Diego de Torres Villarroel .

Thanks, RodlaRob, this is giving me ideas for 2017. I am hoping to start in Granada and had planned to continue on the Sanabres, but .... I am always tempted by new untraveled routes, it's a character flaw. ;)

I do have a GPS so I wonder if you can point me to any online source of those tracks. If not I can of course email Luis.

My real question though, has to do with the way itself. I think I remember that someone one the Spanish forum reported that it was almost entirely on asphalt. That's a deal breaker for me, so I'm wondering what your experience was. Many thanks, Buen camino, Laurie

Yes peregrina thats a really interesting question. My feet HATE asphalt and when my feet are unhappy, so am I.
So if anyone know about the aphaltquestion, please let me know.

Helen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, RodlaRob, this is giving me ideas for 2017. I am hoping to start in Granada and had planned to continue on the Sanabres, but .... I am always tempted by new untraveled routes, it's a character flaw. ;)

I do have a GPS so I wonder if you can point me to any online source of those tracks. If not I can of course email Luis.

My real question though, has to do with the way itself. I think I remember that someone one the Spanish forum reported that it was almost entirely on asphalt. That's a deal breaker for me, so I'm wondering what your experience was. Many thanks, Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie, go to www.caminotorres.com then click Etapas del Camino. Click the etapa that you want ( e.g. Salamanca - Robliza de Cojos).Scroll down to the bottom to the GPX
and Kml symbols to download tracks in either GPX or Kml format. I'm afraid I can't help you with your other question about the asphalt because I did the Camino Torres as part of a trek from the most southerly point of Spain to the most northerly point of Spain in March 2014,( Tarifa, Cadiz,Sevile,Salamanca,Camino Torres,Santiago,Ferrol, San Andrés de Teixido,Estaca de Bares),and cannot remember this fact. I am sure you will enjoy it,cheers Mick.
P.S. See post 29.

Last edited:
Hello again Helen (& Laurie) ,
I assume you are directing this question to me? as I said I did it recently and met an Italian who has done it twice. You can see his Blog on the Torres website. We can help with all your specific questions. Plus there have been previous threads on this Camino Torres.
I had a great time as I said (walked solo for 13 days). Pilgrims are viewed with some curiosity on this camino & one small café in rural Portugal refused to let me pay for my café con leche such was the respect for the Pilgrim on his journey to Santiago. I still enjoyed the Camino Portuguese from Ponte de Lima onwards but in a different way.
ASHPHALT = well some days I wanted more of this, as it was rugged. Other days I was sick of the cobblestone type roads you see in Portugal. Other days I did notice the smooth Ashphalt but overall it was probably less than the section after Ponte de Lima.
Laurie you would do it easily. Accommodation sparse sometimes but the website (which translates to English) has lots of information.
Hope this helps.
Rodney.

Thanks, and just to make things easier, Ivar has created a new sub-forum for the Camino Torres. I did a search to see if there were other threads that should be moved to this section, but just found some scattered comments, most of which have been repeated in this thread.

So, for those of you considering this Camino, there's not much out there but that makes it all the more intriguing! I love the Sanabres, but I think that next year I may walk Granada to Salamanca and then turn off onto the Camino Torres. I have been in all of the main towns on the route and they are LOVELY!!!

Keep us posted, Helen. I'm going to investigate the asphalt question as best as I can. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We plan to go the Camino Sureste starting in Alicante early March next year. But instead of walking the end at VdLP, as we have already walked in, we are thinking about taking the Camino Torres from Zalamanca and then via Portugal to Santiago.

I'm wondering if you plan to walk all the Sureste till Benavente and backtrack to Salamanca or if you plan to walk the Sureste till Ávila walking from Ávila to Salamanca on the Caminos Teresianos (the one from Ávila to Alba de Tormes and the one from Salamanca to Alba de Tormes; the later backwards).

I did the Camino Torres as part of a trek from the most southerly point of Spain to the most northerly point of Spain in March 2014,( Tarifa, Cadiz,Sevile,Salamanca,Camino Torres,Santiago,Ferrol, San Andrés de Teixido,Estaca de Bares),

Those are the most southerly and the most northerly points not of Spain but of peninsular Spain. Well, depending on how you define peninsular, the most northerly point may not be the Estaca de Bares but an islet a few meters North.

I did a search to see if there were other threads that should be moved to this section

It's a bit old but I think you should move this thread:

www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-torres.12024

...if you didn't move it yet, i.e.

On it, he cautions us to bring a GPS because he says it is not way marked. I wonder if that has changed

Yes, it has changed. People from Salamanca marked it. I didn't walk it so I can't comment neither about the amount and quality of the signage nor its maintenance.

This camino went on my list last spring when I saw it on the cover of a magazine at the public library in Zamora. Photos were gorgeous. My Spanish is pretty basic, but the article was clearly trying to generate interest in the route. It's a good length (23 or so days) for those of us who can't get away for a month or more.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie, go to www.caminotorres.com then click Etapas del Camino.Scroll down to Etapas y distancias and then click one of the place names.( e.g. click Salamanca to give a multitude of information for the stage between Salamanca and Robliza de Cojos).Scroll down to the bottom for tracks in GPX and KML format.

You probably won't be surprised to learn that this didn't work for me. All I got was a huge page of text. Ray y Rosa have posted the route on wikilocs, though. http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=10949409

I think this is an intriguing option for 2017. ML, how late can you start?

I'm going to investigate the asphalt question as best as I can. Buen camino, Laurie

I checked the GPS tracks very closely the first time I've heard of CT and it looks to me like there isn't much asphalt walking. More or less there's asphalt on usual spots like entering/exiting villages and towns. Also the photos on official web site (http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/) shows large amount of dirt/AG tracks.

@peregrina2000
I copied first stage text and photos from official web site in .pdf file attached here.
Also sent .docx file to you via e-mail. If you want to see larger scale photos move the cursor to the photo, press CTRL and left click it. Maybe this way you'll be able to see them...

Attachments

• Salamanca-Robliza de Cojos.pdf
    589.5 KB · Views: 15
Now I have downloaded the GPS tracks, printed hundreds of papers, which I can read up to departure, bring on the Camino and throw paper for paper. Have no idea if I will get the GPS files to work when we get there. I have concluded that it most likely (everything can change) :) will be Camino Sureste to Avila and then Ruta Teresiana up to Alba de Tormes. From there it is only a short day hike up to Salamanca (which we like very much) and then west on the Camino de Torres. I have gone through everything I can find, including photos, and it does not look like much asphalt. It did not do on the pictures for the Camino Norte either, and that walk was candy for the eyes but went hard on my feet.

So now we just have to wait :)
I recieved my new backpack today and can always sit and look at it as time passes slowly :)

@peregrina2000
I copied first stage text and photos from official web site in .pdf file attached here.
Also sent .docx file to you via e-mail. If you want to see larger scale photos move the cursor to the photo, press CTRL and left click it. Maybe this way you'll be able to see them...

Thank, K1, I can see everything except the GPS tracks. I'll have to wait till next week to spend more time on this, but hey I have all winter to plan!

...and a Wikiloc user nicknamed amodo posted stage by stage tracks. You may look for them if you were interested.
Thanks, Castilian, that's the same guy who wrote up his experience on the Spanish forum, which I linked to in one of my posts on this thread. I will definitely look at those tracks.

I did hear from the Spanish forum that the route is not marked till Guimaraes, so a GPS seems pretty essential!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As I said in the very beginning of this thread ...... don't rely on the arrows till you approach Guimaraes.

You probably won't be surprised to learn that this didn't work for me. All I got was a huge page of text. Ray y Rosa have posted the route on wikilocs, though. http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=10949409

Hi Laurie

If you want company from Salamanca to Braga can I make the way with you?
In 2017 I do not have many holidays (April/May
Thank, K1, I can see everything except the GPS tracks. I'll have to wait till next week to spend more time on this, but hey I have all winter to plan!

Thanks, Castilian, that's the same guy who wrote up his experience on the Spanish forum, which I linked to in one of my posts on this thread. I will definitely look at those tracks.

I did hear from the Spanish forum that the route is not marked till Guimaraes, so a GPS seems pretty essential!

Hi Laurie.

In the municipality of Tarouca I saw the way is marked near the Ucanha bridge. You also saw in Mesão Frio and I've seen the Régua.

As I said in the very beginning of this thread ...... don't rely on the arrows till you approach Guimaraes.

OK. As I understand it, they put some arrows along the route (before Guimaraes) but they aren't enough as to make all the route just following the arrows. Did I get it right? If that's the case, it's a pity all their effort putting arrows isn't really useful for walking pilgrims.

Yes there are some arrows and it was always heartening to see them ... but :
1) They are not regular and some are very weathered & difficult to see,
2) In some areas they are non existent.

As I said before you can not follow this Camino by the "arrows" alone

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Laurie

If you want company from Salamanca to Braga can I make the way with you?
In 2017 I do not have many holidays (April/May

Hi Laurie.

In the municipality of Tarouca I saw the way is marked near the Ucanha bridge. You also saw in Mesão Frio and I've seen the Régua.

Hi Aurelio. I sent you a PM. I won't be able to start walking until around May 10, and I will be walking from Granada to Salamanca before I start Camino Torres. I'm not yet sure when I will get to Salamanca, but I imagine it will be in June sometime.

Hi Laurie, I am trying to make this as user-friendly as I can. If your computer is using Microsoft Windows go to www.caminotorres.com then click Etapas del camino. Click the etapa that you want (e.g. Salamanca - Robliza de Cojos). Scroll down to the bottom passing the multitude of information, where under the title Tracks you will see the symbols GPX and kml. Click one of the symbols to download the track to your computer. I do not know what procedure you have to transfer the download to your GPS. I have a Garmin eTrex 30 GPS. Using Garmin BaseCamp and my Sony laptop I was able to download the tracks in GPX and also the kml format to my GPS.Good luck,Mick.

Last edited:
And here is a thread from a Spanish language forum posted by someone who walked in 2013. On it, he cautions us to bring a GPS because he says it is not way marked. I wonder if that has changed.

http://foroperegrinos.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=334565&hilit=Camino+Torres+Amodo&start=40
Hi Laurie and all Peregrinos ,when I did this in April 2014 the website had said you would need a GPS,not for a lack of signage, but because the signage went in all directions ( heaven knows why ) and if you followed the signage you would never get to Santiago. I did see a couple of crazy examples of this but with common sense I guessed the right way. Also on the odd occasion I sensed I was going back on myself so I switched on the GPS and retraced my steps for 10 minutes. Other times it was my fault ( missed the signs ) and I used the GPS to bring me back onto the correct camino. I would have thought the signage now would have improved a little. Peregrinos do not be apprehensive about doing this camino because it says you need a GPS. I enjoyed the change of scenery from that of the Ruta de Plata. A Hospitalero told me I was the first Pilgrim he had seen in the last 2 months, so if you like the less crowded caminos this one is for you. I enjoyed it and I'm sure you will too, regards Mick.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hmmmm 2017 interesting

So excited to see all this info on the CT. It makes my dream of La Redonda-to-Ciudad Rodrigo-to Salamanca-to-SdC seem so much more attainable.

Time constraints mean my next Camino will be the Inglés with my daughter. However, one day this will happen.

I just wanna tell you all that this years Camino was the best. We started 14 of march in Alicante and walked the Sureste to Avila. From there we took Ruta Teresiana to Alba de Tormes and then a short one called something like Ruta de la Plata ? to Salamanca. From Salamanca we went on Camino Torres and that was great. but I would never recomend anyone to do it without GPX-trax on the phone = NO SIGNS some days. And from p.t.e de Lima we walked Camino Portugese. From Alicante to P.t.e Lima (more than 1000km) we meet 2 !!! other pilgrims :)
If your not afraid of being alone... Do it :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just wanna tell you all that this years Camino was the best. We started 14 of march in Alicante and walked the Sureste to Avila. From there we took Ruta Teresiana to Alba de Tormes and then a short one called something like Ruta de la Plata ? to Salamanca. From Salamanca we went on Camino Torres and that was great. but I would never recomend anyone to do it without GPX-trax on the phone = NO SIGNS some days. And from p.t.e de Lima we walked Camino Portugese. From Alicante to P.t.e Lima (more than 1000km) we meet 2 !!! other pilgrims :)
If your not afraid of being alone... Do it :)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, I feel envy, envy, envy,.....
It has been on my wish list for at least three years, but...
So glad to hear that you've liked it. Please post some more info (or maybe not :D) as it really seems to be very solitary route.

Indeed, a Spanish colleague and experienced peregrino just did Camino de Torres, and he is adamant; you NEED a GPS device. He is going to send me more information soon, he finished it about one week ago, I will keep you posted

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.