• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Wonderful CF!

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
image.jpeg image.jpeg Thought I would send a quick update since I have wifi:)
Spent night in Bayonne (12/7) and night in Orrisson (13/7). Lovely albergue, great welcome. Then walked to Espinal. It was cold and windy on the Pyrenees, rained on and off, no visibility whatsoever. Eerie, Iloved it. You could only see the animals if they were actually on the road, the rest of the time you guessed by the sound of the bells.
Stopped in Larrasoaña, Zariquiegui, Cirauqui (WONDERFUL albergue btw), vilamayor de Monjardin and tonight in Viana.
The weather's turned very hot (for me anyway :rolleyes: around 37 deg I'm told) and this morning I left at 5pm (I was the last one left in the albergue:D) to avoid the heat.
I have been walking for 6 days on my own, so much for a crowded Camino, I met fewer pilgrims (walking) than on the VdlP in June! :D
Having a won-der-ful time so far, will update later.
Dominique

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino Dominique! Glad it's all going so well and that things aren't too crowded. I wonder if that's because you're staying in the wonderful 'in-between' places?

Walking in those temperatures must be quite a challenge - I can't even imagine it. Hope things cool down a little in the coming days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino Dominique! It sounds like a wonderful time.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi all! Just to say hello again and a quick update, hope you're all well and either on the Camino or preparing for one. :)
Tonight staying not far before León, in Puente Villarente, love the albergue here!
After Viana, where it was 38 deg, stopped in Navarette. The weather turned, there was a thunderstorm and even some hailstones. Chilly in the mornings and at night but so much easier for walking .
Then Azofra (has to be one of my favourite albergues ), Redecilla del Camino, villafranca, Burgos. Stayed in fab hotel with view on the Cathedral :cool:
Then Hontanas, Boadilla, Carrión, Terradillos and Burgo Ranero last night.
The weather warmed up on the Meseta and the umbrella went up when walking in early afternoon. Pleased to report that even in rather strong wind (esp. walking to Boadilla), it held up. Lovely German gear, worth every penny!

You may have gathered I'm having a wonderful time, it is a very peaceful, very special, very quiet Camino. (I am especially grateful for it as I am still stunned by all the dreadful recent news .)

Tomorrow a short walk to León where I'll stay and after that... no plans. :cool:

My love and best wishes to all of you pilgrims and pilgrims-to-be.
Dominique

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
image.jpeg Hi all, walked from Astorga to Foncebadon today. Weather has again turned, it's much cooler, even rained on and off after Rabanal.
It's been a lovely walk, I just love the change of scenery. Must be (at last) getting fitter as going uphill was easy(Ish)!Walked all alone, again, at times it feels like I'm a parallel camino:) You see pilgrims whilst arriving in big cities then...they seem to disappear!
After León, stayed in Villar de Mazarife. I once took that route by accident a few yrs ago, on my way to Hospidal de Orbigo and stayed there for a drink. It's much changed I think, more people, road newly surfaced, didn't see any deer this time...
Yesterday walked to Astorga, it was very hot and again the path has changed, they made it wider and 'softer' I think. I didn't like it at all but other pilgrims told me they loved it, easier on the feet ... For the first time walked in the company of another pilgrim for 3 hours, a young seminarist from Philadelphia. Walking together helped us both as we were both flagging in the sun. We talked and talked, he was just so interesting!
Foncebadon has changed too, it's now a 'rocking' place :D.
I stopped at Denise's tree of course, what a beautiful setting, it was very moving.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    509.4 KB · Views: 27
image.jpeg Well this Camino is truly over, arrived in Santiago on 14/08 and walked on to Fisterra and Muxía. Now in Santander visiting friends, back in the UK tonight.
It has been a wonderful, stress-free experience. None of the crowds so talked about, no rush for beds... Only twice in 30+ days were albergues full (to my knowledge): once in Zariquiegui (only one albergue open, 18 beds, 10 of which taken by 2 families with cars...) and in O'Cebreiro, on a Sunday and the pilgrims arrived at 19.30...
Once in Sarria yes, suddenly there were files of pilgrims ahead of me (I started late every morning ). Not a problem, the fastest walkers overtook me and soon disappeared and I in turn passed slower ones and ...disappeared.:)

It leaves me with beautiful memories. I did say to myself several times it was my last Camino francés as it was so perfect....
Mmmmm.... Never say never! ;):D:D:D

Buen camino my friends.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Dominique

Well done and many congratulations on another great camino!!:) Soooo glad to hv met you at Biarritz... and, I started my walk on 14/7 and, got into Santiago on 18/8/16 .... quite a memorable event! :D I even get to see the awesome botafumeiro in action as well as cuddle the statue of St James. Tbh, I dont know how I got to Santiago, but am sure, he was there to encourage me!

Am currently doing the Camino tours of Finisterra and Muxia in easy pace as I don't get back to England until 31/8/16.

Take care and Buen Camino, Dominique

Ginette x

Congratulations Domigee!

Safe travel home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back