• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

PLEASE get a BELL for your bike

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
Outside of Pamplona we saw a group of bikers collide with some English women. Fortunately no real injuries. Many people yelled "BIKE! BIKE!" as they passed. Germans were yelling "ACHTUNG!" The bikers passed at a speed that was a bit too high but it was a downhill section and the trail section was wide. The collision occurred because the women were walking 4 abreast across the trail and they apparently didn't hear any of the many warnings.

We saw many "near misses" all along the trail. We also saw many very considerate bikers who tried to be very careful. The downhill sections are difficult for the bikers when walkers are side-by-side across the trail. I saw no biking pilgrims who wanted to collide with walking pilgrims.

THE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE: Outside of Sarria we saw an insane teenage biker intentionally pedal at high speed through a group of high school pilgrims. He had no packs, was not dressed like a pilgrim biker, his bike was not like other Camino bikes; I presume he was a local resident acting like a jerk.

The first incident would likely have been avoided by if the bikers had bells, or some warning device other than their voices, on their bikes.

Many of the "near misses" would also be eliminated by use of a simple bell mounted to the grip of the bike. Of course pilgrims wearing earbuds wouldn't likely hear a bell, a shout, or even a bullhorn. But a bell will dramatically increase safety for everyone.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"The Camino is for everybody!"
Heard from a cyclist after Vega de Valcarce, who almost bumped into a pilgrim, them after some meters into other, faced with a chorus of yells and protests.
I thought it was an isolated incident, but in the albergue we met with other pilgrims who have had the same encounter and incidents. Apparently, this jerk was in a crazy mission to educate people about inclusiveness.
For the record, most cyclist were polite and considerate. I especially appreciated when the leader of a group told us "be careful, we are many" and the last "ok, I am the last one".

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It always causes problems when bikes and walkers use the same path. It is just never a good mix and problems will consistently arise when either party ignores the other.

I believe the majority of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of bikers because they go faster and can do more damage to others. That speed is the problem for walkers. It is the same reason bikers don't want to stick to the roads mixing it up with the cars - those cars go even faster than bikes and they win in collisions. It goes without saying that all bikers must proceed with caution when meeting walkers and walkers should allow bikers enough room to pass comfortably.

I tend to walk on one side of the trail when I know bikes are around. It allows for a biker to pass more easily and allows me to walk without the need to look over my shoulder constantly.

Jerks and irresponsible individuals are mound everyone and are certainly not typical of the normal biker just as it is not typical of the normal walker.

I acknowledge that I am not a friend to the concept of biking the Camino. It is a personal issue that I must overcome. I just have a a mindset that wants to claim the Camino just for walkers and other slow moving modes of transport and a fear of being run over by a speeding bike while I admiring nature or the world around me.

The truth is that we welcome or should welcome all to the Camino. We can only be responsible for our own behavior and we should each be a source of kindness on the Way.

I met a great bunch of young Italian cyclists a couple of years ago between Logrono & Burgos. They were young guys in their late teens/early twenties and every time they came upon a group of walkers they sang 'The Wild Rover' at the tops of their voices. Apparently they had been on a language exchange to Ireland a year previous and it was the only English they had learned. Talk about easing relations between walkers and cyclists.

Oh, please - there is no excuse for running into anyone - as in downhill skiing, it is the responsibility of the uphill skier to avoid hitting anyone in front of him
Alternatively, all bikes should be fitted with some brakes
1 - Agreed. There is no excuse.
2 - Never saw a bike that was not fitted with brakes. In fact most of the bikes seemed to be very high dollar bikes with top of the line everything, including brakes.

And clearly (as I stated) the bikers had no desire to crash their (often expensive) bikes into anyone, most were actually very polite.

I simply was trying to give some advice to those who may wish to bike the Camino that everyone on the trail would be much safer, and people would gladly move out of the way, if the biker had a bell to provide advance warning.

I was surprised by bikers who "snuck up on me" while I was walking. Some surfaces are loud, some are very quite. In some stretches of the Camino a bike, or even a whole group of bikers, can easily come up upon walkers who never hear the bike(s) approaching.

I felt that for some reason that I don't know, most Italians I met in the Camino were cyclists.
Just curious....
Ditto. We did walk with a couple different Italian couples, and an Italian who was a chef in Paris, but most Italians we encountered seemed to be on 2 wheels.

It always causes problems when bikes and walkers use the same path. It is just never a good mix and problems will consistently arise when either party ignores the other.
I'm not sure that walkers ignored the bikers. I'm not sure the bikers ignored the walkers.

I think sometimes people are just in their own thoughts or conversations and they become oblivious to things around them.

That is why I suggested a simple bell. There are very few metallic sounds on the Camino trails. A bell stands out. Some bikers had them and they seemed to garner the attention of the walkers.

I was being sarcastic in suggesting that bikes should have brakes (rather than bells as you were suggesting in the title for the topic) - what I really meant was that cyclists should use their brakes to slow down and hence avoid running into walkers - rather than relying on walkers to hear them coming

I've biked several sections of the portuguese variants of the camino and bike regularly on road, cross-country and cycle-ways.
There is no great solution for conflict between walkers and bikers, there will allways be some disturbance caused.
My experience is that there is no perfect option to alert walkers to my presence.
I've called "Bom caminho" from near and from afar, it works but almost allways startles those walking. Even if one is at low speed, peoples expectation when they see a bike is speed, so in a split second, fight or flight mechanism quicks in to avoid colision.
Bell states clearly it is a bike and should be heard from far away. I say should, because it is my experience that even those not wearing earphones only acknowledge the bell when very close. Such is the bliss of the introspection allowed by the camino that everything else is becomes secondary. Also, its hard not to feel like an jerk, ringing the bell. Its the same as yelling "I'm a bike, let me through", especially when there many walkers spread out.

Whether its greeting people, ringing the bell or using music out of portable speakers, some form of warning must be used. Together with the most important tools of common sense, empathy and understanding, we can all tolerate each other on the camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ah shared paths... generates endless news copy here at home.

Being, at various times, a walker, cyclist, dog walker and horse rider, I can say that I have seen this problem from all sides. My conclusion - shared paths only work if all users are aware and considerate of each other. Shouldn't be a difficult ask, especially on the Camino but it is at times. All the time at home here!

My own experiences last year were occasionally quite frightening. I did witness some bike/walker collisions. On the steep descent after Atapuerca I was almost hit by a speeding mountain biker only to come across him in a tangled heap at the bottom. He was rather sheepish as I helped him gather up his scattered possessions.

Yes, bells would help and, at busy times, we'll be complaining about the noise pollution o_O I have to laugh as I always use mine on shared paths. The other morning I had to sound it several times to warn a woman out walking her dog and I got a mouthful of abuse for my efforts. Coming onto an older gentleman straight afterwards, I just called out to him and got a mouthful of abuse for not sounding my bell :confused:

In the end, as always, just practice some good old fashioned consideration for each other.

As many of you will remember I cycled from Pamplona to Santiago. I have a bell - one of the old-fashion ones that will (almost) penetrate even the loudest ipod. The mix of cyclist & walking pilgrims is easy - it just takes a little planning on the part of the biker.
I totally agree that most cyclist do not wish to collide with anyone - we are the ones moving at speed and we are the ones who will be bouncing along the hard Camino roads and once you are over 50 you don't bounce all that well!
About the closest I came to wiping out a pilgrim was 5 km from SDC - coming down of the Monte del Gozo - this drop-kick, despite my bell, my calls and those of his friends turn and stood in front of me. Fortunately one of his friends dragged him out of the way. The resulting collision would have removed his ability to be a father and probably put me in Santiago hospital as well. He thought it was all a joke.

Outside of Pamplona we saw a group of bikers collide with some English women. Fortunately no real injuries. Many people yelled "BIKE! BIKE!" as they passed. Germans were yelling "ACHTUNG!" The bikers passed at a speed that was a bit too high but it was a downhill section and the trail section was wide. The collision occurred because the women were walking 4 abreast across the trail and they apparently didn't hear any of the many warnings.

We saw many "near misses" all along the trail. We also saw many very considerate bikers who tried to be very careful. The downhill sections are difficult for the bikers when walkers are side-by-side across the trail. I saw no biking pilgrims who wanted to collide with walking pilgrims.

THE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE: Outside of Sarria we saw an insane teenage biker intentionally pedal at high speed through a group of high school pilgrims. He had no packs, was not dressed like a pilgrim biker, his bike was not like other Camino bikes; I presume he was a local resident acting like a jerk.

The first incident would likely have been avoided by if the bikers had bells, or some warning device other than their voices, on their bikes.

Many of the "near misses" would also be eliminated by use of a simple bell mounted to the grip of the bike. Of course pilgrims wearing earbuds wouldn't likely hear a bell, a shout, or even a bullhorn. But a bell will dramatically increase safety for everyone.
We were shocked when we did the Camino Frances in April/May at the lack of bicycle etiquette. In Australia almost all bike riders ring their bells or call out to warn you. On the whole Camino only 2 used a bell and about the same number called out a warning. A few yelled Buen Camino as they hurtled past ( way too late) but hundreds ignored walkers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I agree to get a bell, but seems it's a spanish thing no bells love to open a bike bell shop.

I've biked several sections of the portuguese variants of the camino and bike regularly on road, cross-country and cycle-ways.
There is no great solution for conflict between walkers and bikers, there will allways be some disturbance caused.
My experience is that there is no perfect option to alert walkers to my presence.
I've called "Bom caminho" from near and from afar, it works but almost allways startles those walking. Even if one is at low speed, peoples expectation when they see a bike is speed, so in a split second, fight or flight mechanism quicks in to avoid colision.
Bell states clearly it is a bike and should be heard from far away. I say should, because it is my experience that even those not wearing earphones only acknowledge the bell when very close. Such is the bliss of the introspection allowed by the camino that everything else is becomes secondary. Also, its hard not to feel like an jerk, ringing the bell. Its the same as yelling "I'm a bike, let me through", especially when there many walkers spread out.

Whether its greeting people, ringing the bell or using music out of portable speakers, some form of warning must be used. Together with the most important tools of common sense, empathy and understanding, we can all tolerate each other on the camino.
hi , you made some great points in your post i think.i have walked a few times on the camino frances,most of the bikers were great,and i know it may sound strange to say some of the bells were "get out of my way I am coming past " others sounded like" excuse me i am passing be careful " when walking many people are deep in thought so you should not feel bad to ring the bell,as a walker i did get angry when a mass of bikes came past us with little or no warning,i saw an older guy with a heavy pack stumble badly and knock his head due to a bunch of fast bikes startling him with bing bing get out of my way bells at the last minute,its not so easy to jump to the side of the track with a large pack and tired bones.a thank you or buen camino goes a long way to help .but dont feel bad about ringing that bell you sound like a polite chap,wish you well and agree with trying to find empathy ,

I am mostly a walker, but I am also an occasional cyclist and take my two wheels for a country ride. My particular headache are people walking their dogs -they (the dogs, not the owners) apparently can't see or hear a thing moving fast, are impredictable, and when they suddenly cross the path, a cyclist could be tangled in the leash. I have had some close calls...
Yes, it is difficult to find a a polite way to say "please, get out my way"; this always startle and frequently annoy walkers. I use a bell that has a kind of comic, ridiculous sound -kind of a "quack". People find it amusing and even smile when I pass.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It'a a two way thing.

When I was constructing cycle tracks for Sustrans UK we built a stretch along the coast at Deal in Kent. I was out one day doing a post works inspection with the contractor and saw two ladies with buggies standing not just on the cycleway but on the biggest white painted cycle signs we were allowed to use.

When I pointed out a cyclist was heading towards them on the cycle track they asked "what track?" . . . .

On the other hand there's no excuse for being ill mannered whether on a bike or foot.

Personally I LOVE my bell:

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/

scroll down to the bottom of the page to listen to it!

One day in October, neither drunken nor sober,
O'er Broadbury Down I was mending my way,
When I heard of some ringing, some dancing and singing.
I'll always remember that jubilee day.

Chorus:
'Twas in Ashwater town, the bells they did sound,
They rang for a belt and a hat laced with gold.
And the men of Northlew rang so steady and true
That there never were better in Devon I hold.
'Twas misunderstood, for the men of Broadwood
Rang a peel on the tenor should never have been.
But the men of Northlew rang so steady and true,
A difficult matter to beat them I ween.

(Chorus)

Those of Broadwood being naughty, then said to our party,
We'll ring you a challenge again in a round.
We'll give you the chance in St. Stephen's by Launceston;
The prize to the winner a note of five pound.

Chorus:
'Twas in Callington town, the bells they did sound, etc.
So the match it went on, at good Callington,
And the bells they rang out o'er the valley below.
And the old and young people, the hale and the feeble,
They came out to hear the sweet bell music flow.

Chorus:
'Twas in Callington town, the bells they did sound, etc.
Those of Broadwood once more were obliged to give o'er,
They were beaten completely again in a round.
But the men of Northlew rang so steady and true;
No better than they in the West can be found.

Chorus:
'Twas in Ashwater town then in Callington Town, etc.

Ah, the bells, the bells....

The song, difficult but beautiful is sung to one of the great peels or bell sequences. In consequence each verse and subsequent chorus has a slight variation on the prior. There are far longer versions of the song as there are great peels or even full peels some of which can take hours to complete.

Oh, and by the way, I think bikers should use bells on their bikes too - though perhaps not a full peel otherwise none of us would ever get to Santiago.

Last edited:
It'a a two way thing. On the other hand there's no excuse for being ill mannered whether on a bike or foot. Personally I LOVE my bell:

http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/ scroll down to the bottom of the page to listen to it!
I too love your bell - it sounds a bit like the one I have on my bike - I usually sound it two or three times (plus call out) and usually have a plan B - be prepared to stop.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In September 2014 I limped into Burgos on a blister of Olympic proportions.

I cycled from there to Astorga by which time the pain in my foot had migrated to that region of my anatomy most closely acquainted with the bicycle saddle. From Astorga, I minced my way to Santiago.

20 minutes out of Burgos, I met a charming French woman and we joined forces for the next several days, cycling across the Meseta.
While our speed was sedate for the most part, we did have a dilemma when approaching peregrinos. To shout or ring a bell seemed to be peremptory & impolite. Collision seemed anti-social.
So we sang - loudly!
Apart from one surly staregrino, it worked a treat. Mostly, it elicited a smile, sometimes a chorus. For the best audience participation, songs with a wide international appeal are recommended. "Don't cry for me, Argentina" worked best for us.
Cyclists with speakers on board might try Wagner's "The ride of the Valkyries" or his Pilgrims Chorus from Tannhauser....

Over 5% of the world’s population has disabling hearing loss (World Health Organisation: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs300/en/
Last year over 260,000 people walked the Frances - that's 13,000 with disabling hearing loss. Hearing loss increases with age. In 2015, there were 43,737 peregrinos over 60 years of age. If you cycle the Camino, you will pass several people every day who will not hear your approach. Take care, slow down & use your bell. Better still, find a singing French woman!
Even if the walkers are well to the side & out of harm's way, let them know that you're coming rather than startle them.

Both walking & cycling, I use a rear view mirror - the "Bike Peddler Take A Look Cycling Eyeglass Mirror" available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VTQNVO/?tag=casaivar02-20 (all commissions gratefully received)

While I am as guilty as the next, I have never understood why walkers, walking abreast, like to stay as far away from each other as possible, thereby taking up the entire path! Some territorial instinct, I suppose - or perhaps to make cyclists sing!

I have just returned from cycling from Porto to Muxia via Santiago, we met two other cyclists on the whole route and very few walkers except the last section into Santiago. There was no problems with walkers I would not be a fast cyclist anyway and would usually look for a chance to stop and chat, I cycle because I cannot walk consecutive days due to injury. Anyway everybody was friendly except a German couple who remonstrated with me for not having a bell, what difference it would have made I don't know as we both saw each other from a distance, OK maybe they were tired and hungry we didn't chat which was a pity. Why do people listen to their Ipods or radios when out in the countryside, there are lots of birds, butterflies and the sounds of nature to take up your time. Twice got chased by dogs but that is an occupational habit when cycling. Enjoyable trip, next time i may go from Fatima to Porto. i have already gone from Le Puy to SJDP and from there to Lyon always enjoyable looking forward to going again by Bike.

I do appreciate that everyone here is replying with generally positive posts. But I'm somewhat mystified why more of the Camino cyclists among our ranks are not really contributing. I'd love to hear more from their perspective.

For the record, most cyclist were polite and considerate. I especially appreciated when the leader of a group told us "be careful, we are many" and the last "ok, I am the last one".
Agreed. I too met polite & considerate bikers. They often yelled out. But voices, especially on the later parts of the trail are often drowned out by other voices on the trail. Maybe a bell is not the perfect answer, but a simple bell should help alert walkers.

I believe the majority of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of bikers because they go faster and can do more damage to others. That speed is the problem for walkers. It is the same reason bikers don't want to stick to the roads mixing it up with the cars - those cars go even faster than bikes and they win in collisions.
Very good and very true. I welcome walkers, bikers, baby buggy pushers, horses, etc on any trail upon which I tread but we must all understand our place and our responsibility. A biker with a simple bell to alert those ahead of him would go a long way to increasing safety for all.

Yes, bells would help and, at busy times, we'll be complaining about the noise pollution o_O
And that is the whole point. For those who wish to cycle the Camino routes I say Buen Camino ... but please get a bell.

And yes, I might complain if the noise of the bells drowns out the tranquility of the trail but I already complained about the noise of kids boom boxes and large groups of loud talkers doing that from Sarria to Santiago so let's deal with 1 issue at a time. For now, I'll trade the dinging of a bell over a collision and an injury.

I have just returned from cycling from Porto to Muxia via Santiago... everybody was friendly except a German couple who remonstrated with me for not having a bell, what difference it would have made I don't know as we both saw each other from a distance... Why do people listen to their Ipods or radios when out in the countryside, there are lots of birds, butterflies and the sounds of nature to take up your time. ...
2 points.

First the German couple may have glanced your way but may not have actually 'seen' you. Much like when a husband 'tunes out' the jabber of his wife when she rattles off the latest 'honey-do' list, people often glance around without actually "seeing" things when they are in contemplated thought. So perhaps the Germans looked at you but didn't really see you? Even if you are a slow cyclist you'd probably have to admit that a bell would have helped.

Second, as the iPods, that is something I don't understand either. I admit that I did not see much of that on my recently completed Camino but I did see some that walked with earbuds and were presumably tuning out the sounds of the Camino to tune into their personal music choices.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We've cycled thousands of km's on various Caminos, and never, ever have come close to a collision. Sometimes we ring a bell before passing, sometimes we don't, but I would say it is 95% how you ride and interact not any magic formula. We've seen jerks of all types---from young racers just bombing through the walkers to hikers who purposefully walk many abreast and try to block cyclists, ignoring polite requests in four languages for a small gap on the side.

If you are tower-bell ringing cyclists then a group could have different toned bells and ring a peal as they approach. Bob Minimus anybody - it would only need 4 cyclists to ring it.

1 - Agreed. There is no excuse.
2 - Never saw a bike that was not fitted with brakes. In fact most of the bikes seemed to be very high dollar bikes with top of the line everything, including brakes.

And clearly (as I stated) the bikers had no desire to crash their (often expensive) bikes into anyone, most were actually very polite.

I simply was trying to give some advice to those who may wish to bike the Camino that everyone on the trail would be much safer, and people would gladly move out of the way, if the biker had a bell to provide advance warning.

I was surprised by bikers who "snuck up on me" while I was walking. Some surfaces are loud, some are very quite. In some stretches of the Camino a bike, or even a whole group of bikers, can easily come up upon walkers who never hear the bike(s) approaching.

Ditto. We did walk with a couple different Italian couples, and an Italian who was a chef in Paris, but most Italians we encountered seemed to be on 2 wheels.

I'm not sure that walkers ignored the bikers. I'm not sure the bikers ignored the walkers.

I think sometimes people are just in their own thoughts or conversations and they become oblivious to things around them.

That is why I suggested a simple bell. There are very few metallic sounds on the Camino trails. A bell stands out. Some bikers had them and they seemed to garner the attention of the walkers.

Ah, yes. bikes. On our first Camino walk, I was almost always quite some ways in back of DH. When I heard the bell--or the whirring wheels--I would yell "(Hubby name)! BIKE!" and all the people in front of me, including DH, would scoot to the right. Worked fairly well...unless I was wearing the noisy taffeta rain poncho, in which case I couldn't have heard a tornado bearing down, much less a bike. In 2015, I did encounter one bike rider who was, accidentally, amusing. She didn't have a bell. So as she rode along, she called out "ding! ding!" to alert walkers. This was not always successful. But, still, she tried. :)
One time in Texas, we were walking in a state park, thinking we were basically alone as it was a cloudy day and not a lot of people were about. Suddenly I heard the whirr of tires as a bike braked in back of me! Shock. It was one of the park personnel. I yelled "(hubby)! BIKE!" as before, he scooted to the right, the bike slowly, well, slowly for a bike, passed us and all was as peaceful as before.

I will admit that there were a few points at which I actually felt sorry for the bike riders: once when the bike trail diverted to the (much steeper) road, and again when we entered Santiago on the CF and the bike riders had to carry their wheels down the several levels of stairs.

Memories.

And I highly favor bike riders having and using their bells.

Buen camino, all!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was almost taken out by a bike. I did have earphones in though, but the cyclist had the view. It wasn't even what I would consider a bike section as was quite a narrow path.

He was really angry too. Idiot.

After a number of near misses with speeding bicycles (most made no warning noise at all) I would like to see separate trails on hilly and narrow sections

It seems the cyclists have almost every option except a $5.00 bell.
My wife and I were almost clipped a few times by cyclists. I did not find it any worse then at home where many cyclists treat the paved/gravel shared paths as their own personal high speed tracks and pedestrians are just pylons to maneuver around.
In cyclists defense, many walkers have ear buds in and the music cranked, so a bell is probably not heard in some instances.
No excuse for not slowing down to a walking pace when approaching walkers as basic self preservation should dictate that if I hit a walker, I am likely to go down as well and get hurt.

I do appreciate that everyone here is replying with generally positive posts. But I'm somewhat mystified why more of the Camino cyclists among our ranks are not really contributing. I'd love to hear more from their perspective.

Agreed. I too met polite & considerate bikers. They often yelled out. But voices, especially on the later parts of the trail are often drowned out by other voices on the trail. Maybe a bell is not the perfect answer, but a simple bell should help alert walkers.

Very good and very true. I welcome walkers, bikers, baby buggy pushers, horses, etc on any trail upon which I tread but we must all understand our place and our responsibility. A biker with a simple bell to alert those ahead of him would go a long way to increasing safety for all.

And that is the whole point. For those who wish to cycle the Camino routes I say Buen Camino ... but please get a bell.

And yes, I might complain if the noise of the bells drowns out the tranquility of the trail but I already complained about the noise of kids boom boxes and large groups of loud talkers doing that from Sarria to Santiago so let's deal with 1 issue at a time. For now, I'll trade the dinging of a bell over a collision and an injury.

2 points.

First the German couple may have glanced your way but may not have actually 'seen' you. Much like when a husband 'tunes out' the jabber of his wife when she rattles off the latest 'honey-do' list, people often glance around without actually "seeing" things when they are in contemplated thought. So perhaps the Germans looked at you but didn't really see you? Even if you are a slow cyclist you'd probably have to admit that a bell would have helped.

Second, as the iPods, that is something I don't understand either. I admit that I did not see much of that on my recently completed Camino but I did see some that walked with earbuds and were presumably tuning out the sounds of the Camino to tune into their personal music choices.

'the jabber of his wife'?????!!!!!

Blimey .

Good luck - I take it your next camino will be a solitary one?!!

Last edited:
We have had some heated exchanges on the forum before, cyclists want to get to Santiago fast and all these pedestrians get in there way of there professional sport. Bells no way its not coool!!!

As a walker, I have devised a way to walk to eliminate the stress of impending cyclists on my ass. I always leave a free path for the cyclist to pass me. If I am walking with one other person and it's a narrow path, I walk single file. If it's a wider path and I'm walking either solo or with others, I not only leave a path for the cyclist to pass us but I also suggest that our group walks on one side of the trail or the other, but not in the middle. That makes it clear for a cyclist which side to pass on, rather than having to guess if the group will go left or right when they hear a bell. Oh, one other thing: if I'm walking along and I see another walker ahead of me, I automatically switch to the side the walker ahead of me is walking - that way a cyclist does not have to change lanes in between us to avoid us both. These practices come from not wanting to have to think about cyclists behind me (they can easily pass) and to be polite to cyclists. P.S. I personally hate to bicycle. It's the most uncomfortable sport I've ever tried :).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a walker, I have devised a way to walk to eliminate the stress of impending cyclists on my ass. I always leave a free path for the cyclist to pass me. If I am walking with one other person and it's a narrow path, I walk single file. If it's a wider path and I'm walking either solo or with others, I not only leave a path for the cyclist to pass us but I also suggest that our group walks on one side of the trail or the other, but not in the middle. That makes it clear for a cyclist which side to pass on, rather than having to guess if the group will go left or right when they hear a bell. Oh, one other thing: if I'm walking along and I see another walker ahead of me, I automatically switch to the side the walker ahead of me is walking - that way a cyclist does not have to change lanes in between us to avoid us both. These practices come from not wanting to have to think about cyclists behind me (they can easily pass) and to be polite to cyclists. P.S. I personally hate to bicycle. It's the most uncomfortable sport I've ever tried :).

My God your walk seems very stressful I just carry a european hospital card so no worries.

My God your walk seems very stressful I just carry a european hospital card so no worries.
not stressful at all. I don't even think about it. it's all automatic for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first time I was on the FR I was on a bicycle. I was very intentional about alerting walkers. Even waiting for a break in their conversations to let them know I was behind them. As far as MY pilgrimage experience on the bike, I'd give it a "meh" rating.
I went back 2 years later to walk and to serve in a pilgrim's hostel. The walk was a much better pilgrimage. I became very frustrated with cyclists coming up behind me with no warning at all. I believe that some of them believe they are "above" all that. I took the swinging my poles around in circles when I heard cyclists coming up behind me. I gave one or two a good wack too. "Oh, sorry", I'd say. "I didn't know you were there. Maybe you could warn walkers." I don't wear earbuds or listen to music. I don't always hear so good.
I'll probably get skewered for my next comment. I really don't think cyclists belong on the foot paths. There are much more exciting cross country rides out there. There are even cycling pilgrimages to be had.
I understand that for many, riding is the only possible way. I get that and it's fine. Please be aware of the walkers.

Had a couple of near misses with bikes the worst on the trail down from Cruz de Ferro. Ignorant would not be the word to describe these bikers. On another occasion on the trail down to the Rio Saldo just before Lorca, a cyclist demanded I step off the dry part of the path into the mud. I refused and he got very irate eventually cycling very fast through a muddy puddle. His intention to splash me did not work, he got a young Korean girl. On the other hand, I met a cyclist in Navarette who enjoyed our company so much, he chose to walk with us the next morning. The vast majority of them are probably just like any other pilgrim but the odd few get them all a bad name

I felt that for some reason that I don't know, most Italians I met in the Camino were cyclists.
Just curious....
I agree. They are like a flock of seagulls - they arrive, make a lot of noise, and then depart again.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also saw a bicyclist hit a walker. It could have been easily avoided, if the cyclist had called ahead. I very nearly got hit by speeding bikes several times. Once I was stepping off the road onto the trail and had to jump off the trail to keep from being hit. I happen to agree that bicycles do not belong on the trail. Very, very few warn walkers ahead of time that they are coming, in my experience, and it is very stressful.

Now that I think about it my worst experiences (2) on the CF last fall were nearly getting creamed by bicycles. I didn't know they were there until they brushed against me and passed. I never did use ear buds or anything. It was actually frightening! I always walked on the right side of the path too. Sometimes people are thoughtless, but using bells is a helpful antidote for that. Many people are renting those bikes so maybe an effort can be raised through a pilgrim organization to have rentals, at least, fitted with bells.

OK, as someone who did the CF this summer, starting in Pamplona, I had two bells on my bike. One I brought from home and one put on the bike by the rental company.

I have always been taught that when I approach folks, I need to be in control of my bike. Sometimes I road roads, and sometimes I shared the trail with hikers. In places that were extremely narrow, I would actually dismount and walk behind hikers where there was no place to pass.

I biked by myself, not a flock of bicyclists. As such I didn't see any bad bike behavior. I did see some bad hiker behavior. Four a breast and giving no quarter, sharp treking poles pointing like spears, people moving into the center of the road from the side without thinking, people moving right then left then right as if to trap someone. Still, they "own" the trail as much as I did.

It would be interesting to see what people think of drivers as well, when hikers share the road with them.

There are lots of jerks in the world and some of them go on pilgrimages both on foot, on bikes, and via tourist buses.

[QUOTE="obinjatoo@yahoo.com, post: 434061, member: 19616"I took the swinging my poles around in circles when I heard cyclists coming up behind me. I gave one or two a good wack too. "Oh, sorry", I'd say. "I didn't know you were there. .[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time seeing how aggressive and dangerous behaviour, coupled with lying is constructive. Two wrongs still don't make a right.

Sorry there were inconsiderate cyclists.

Last edited:
The first time I was on the FR I was on a bicycle. I was very intentional about alerting walkers. Even waiting for a break in their conversations to let them know I was behind them. As far as MY pilgrimage experience on the bike, I'd give it a "meh" rating.
I went back 2 years later to walk and to serve in a pilgrim's hostel. I took the swinging my poles around in circles when I heard cyclists coming up behind me. I gave one or two a good wack too. "Oh, sorry", I'd say. "I didn't know you were there. Maybe you could warn walkers." I don't wear earbuds or listen to music. I don't always hear so good.
I'll probably get skewered for my next comment. I really don't think cyclists belong on the foot paths. .... Please be aware of the walkers.
I have to agree with newfydog your actions are not only irresponsible they are highly dangerous both to the cyclist and YOU. My other problem is that these actions are totally inconsistent with the role of hospitareo. Your duties here are to welcome ALL pilgrims equally - not discriminate.
As for cyclists on the walking tracks versus the roads - well yes were the road runs parallel to the Camino I always took the road, but having walked the Camino you will be aware that much of the trail is in fact composed of rural roads - were ALL traffic has equal rights.

On the cycle up from Porto a lot of the tracks are access tracks to forests and farms and roads to peoples houses they are not specific to walkers, I walk and have walked many miles and cycled too. In Ireland the ringing of a bell or honking of a car horn would be frowned upon, A bell would be seen as agressive and car horns usually blown in anger or frustration. I think ringing of a bell is blown out of proportion in this thread, I was nearly knocked down by a car, run over by a horse, chased by a pig, attacked by a dog, cat and seagull and stung by a bee all in a life of adventure and a story to be told. Mind yourself out there, its a dangerous world. I have met so many wonderful people on my travels and enjoyed their company, I have probably had more yesterdays than tomorrows there is enough anger and sadness in the world, If you travel its an adventure you never know who you are going to meet or what is around the next corner put it all down to experiencing life and living in the world rather than sitting at home and living it through social media. “Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” Albert Einstein

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
[QUOTE="obinjatoo@yahoo.com, post: 434061, member: 19616"I took the swinging my poles around in circles when I heard cyclists coming up behind me. I gave one or two a good wack too. "Oh, sorry", I'd say. "I didn't know you were there. .

I have a hard time seeing how aggressive and dangerous behaviour, coupled with lying is constructive. Two wrongs still don't make a right.

Sorry there were inconsiderate cyclists.[/QUOTE]
Pfpt!

I have to agree with newfydog your actions are not only irresponsible they are highly dangerous both to the cyclist and YOU. My other problem is that these actions are totally inconsistent with the role of hospitareo. Your duties here are to welcome ALL pilgrims equally - not discriminate.
As for cyclists on the walking tracks versus the roads - well yes were the road runs parallel to the Camino I always took the road, but having walked the Camino you will be aware that much of the trail is in fact composed of rural roads - were ALL traffic has equal rights.
Pfft!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Didn't intend for this thread to devolve, rather just hoped to bring up the issue of warning bells or similar devices. As I stated I really never found a cyclist who wanted to crash, and those I chatted with were friendly and considerate.

I simply don't think they understand that many times we do not hear them coming up on us walkers. Figured a bell would make sharing the trail a bit easier.

Swirling and stabbing with trekking poles? That seems far worse than walking 4 abreast across the width of the trail because it could cause intentional injury. Walking abreast while talking to companions is reasonable when there are no bikers about, and newbies on the trail may not expect to share the path with cyclists.

I don't see anything wrong with walking four abreast. When the cyclist approaches, he rings his bell to alert them, the walkers shift over momentarily, the cyclist passes them, and the walkers resume their walking until the next cyclist approaches and the process is repeated. It all seems very civil and reasonable to me. Sometimes groups of cyclists make so much noise (as I have experienced) that they can be heard long before they come into view. The walkers can simply step aside to let the cyclists pass - again, all civil and reasonable, I think.

However, there are some downhill sections - one in particular that I recall on the Francés - that the cyclists really love, and in those sections, it's probably a good idea to walk one behind the other or, on the concrete downhill that I am thinking of, off the concrete path entirely.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
IMO it boils down to this:

Bicigrinos - Please slow down and announce your approach via a bell or similar.
Peregrinos - Please take out your ear (iPod or similar) plugs to hear others approaching you.

Nothing more complicated, just common sense - but sometimes the least common of all senses ...
Buen Camino, SY

It all comes down to respect.

Bikers do have the right to do their thing.

Pilgrims have the right to walk the paths, being on the sides, or even in the middle of the path ( not talking about rural roads here but exclusive pilgrim paths. When on roads of any sort, it's good to be always on either of its sides).

I also think that if you want to use an earplug for your music on exclusive pilgrim paths, thats your right to do so and that does not mean bikers have the right to run you over. SOme poeple do love music and music goes pretty well with the Camino for many Pilgrims...

Although Im not particularly keen to go for this sort activity (pilgrimages) on bikes, I'm a biker myself, I own 07 bicycles ( they are all mine and my girlfriends!!!) and believe it, I use all of them. I bike on a daily basis. MTB, road, fixed gear or just commuting.

My point is: if you are riding your bicycle downhill on a shared path/road and there is someone walking ahead of you, you ring your bell, scream, honk, etc and the person does not respond; it doesnt matter if they are listening to their music, if they are just focused on their own thoughts , if they are using ear plugs that they put on before going to bed due to snorers or if they are just completely deaf (this is also a possibility).... It's the rider's responsibility to slow down, and if needed to come to a full stop to overcome the walker....SImple as that....

That's how it is... Anything other than that and someone will be playing the " Im bigger and stronger than you are and Im going to run you over" game.

Camino Paths are not intended for Bikers to race. Period.

Im a very pacific person, but even so, If Im walking on a pilgrim path (listening to my music with earplugs, for instance), walking on a straight line and pattern and someone runs me over, they better go back on their bike and bounce as fast as they can....As I'll be unleashing hell...

Common Sense is our friend people...We just have to use it.

Buen Camino to everyone!

Ultreia!!!

I would also add that the cyclists should give a warning well in advance. I have been startled a few times by a bicycle quite close, and that is when I tend to react poorly and maybe jump to the wrong side. An earlier warning would allow me to look back, step out of the way, and happily watch the cyclist go by.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
IMO it boils down to this:

Bicigrinos - Please slow down and announce your approach via a bell or similar.
Peregrinos - Please take out your ear (iPod or similar) plugs to hear others approaching you.
There were many times when I didn't hear any bikers until they were almost on top of me. I never wore earbuds, etc. With bike tires on some of the soft surfaces the tires are nearly silent, some of the small stone paths make a good deal of noise when the tires roll over them. So its actually pretty easy for bikes to 'sneak up' on walkers if the trail conditions allow it.

Not quite as simplistic as taking out your ear plugs.

I would also add that the cyclists should give a warning well in advance. I have been startled a few times by a bicycle quite close, and that is when I tend to react poorly and maybe jump to the wrong side. An earlier warning would allow me to look back, step out of the way, and happily watch the cyclist go by.
Which is why it is so important for bikers to make some sort of announcement. Honestly I don't think they understand how silent they are on some parts of the trail. I believe they think we hear them.

I am not aware of any exclusive pilgrim paths, would you care to explain how/when/why. I do agree with these comments: It's the rider's responsibility to slow down, and if needed to come to a full stop to overcome the walker....Simple as that....; however this does not allow for those who deliberately stand or walk in front of either a bike/car/train.

To conclude this subject: ALL pilgrims (using any form of transport) must show equal RESPECT to their fellow travellers.

I am not aware of any exclusive pilgrim paths, would you care to explain how/when/why. I do agree with these comments: It's the rider's responsibility to slow down, and if needed to come to a full stop to overcome the walker....Simple as that....; however this does not allow for those who deliberately stand or walk in front of either a bike/car/train.

To conclude this subject: ALL pilgrims (using any form of transport) must show equal RESPECT to their fellow travellers.
@Saint Mike II
It seems to me that there is a sign near the bottom of the path up to O'Cebreiro directing cyclists to another route. But this was still not an "exclusive pilgrim path" as walkers had to look out for horses on the way up. I saw neither cyclists or horses en route. I didn't notice any other places where cyclists were directed off the walkers' path, but then, I wasn't looking for them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Saint Mike II
It seems to me that there is a sign near the bottom of the path up to O'Cebreiro directing cyclists to another route. But this was still not an "exclusive pilgrim path" as walkers had to look out for horses on the way up. I saw neither cyclists or horses en route. I didn't notice any other places where cyclists were directed off the walkers' path, but then, I wasn't looking for them.
There are quite a few places along the path where cycles are directed to an alternate path. I first noticed a cycling diversion just west of Pamplona and I was not looking for them either, just noticed that particular diversion.

But while I saw several alternate directions for cyclist, I don't know that there is any explicit rule that requires them to leave the 'walking' path. Rather I presumed it was for the safety of the cyclists.

I also was not aware that there were/are any exclusive walking pilgrim paths. The Camino goes through all sorts of public land. Not sure about the land use laws in Spain, but I'd think that a public trail on public land could be used by most anyone and not be exclusive to walking pilgrims.

@Saint Mike II
Yes I knew about this one - but it is only a recommendation - although those people I have talked to say you would have to be a very keen cyclist/walker to attempt it. Thanks

@Saint Mike II
Yes I knew about this one - but it is only a recommendation - although those people I have talked to say you would have to be a very keen cyclist/walker to attempt it. Thanks
There are quite a few places along the path where cycles are directed to an alternate path. I first noticed a cycling diversion just west of Pamplona and I was not looking for them either, just noticed that particular diversion.
Are you referring to the climb up to the Alto del Perdon? I took this track and did not see any such signs, in fact I saw and was passed by around 5 or 6 cyclists on this part of the track. Thanks for the input. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did see some bad hiker behavior. Four a breast and giving no quarter, sharp treking poles pointing like spears, people moving into the center of the road from the side without thinking, people moving right then left then right as if to trap someone. Still, they "own" the trail as much as I did.

Once again, using a bell or calling out ahead of time usually will solve these problems. Call ahead to walkers that are four abreast and they will make way for you. In a bike vs pedestrian crash, generally the walker will be injured the most. The walkers ahead of you have the right of way, just as cars ahead of you do when you are driving.

The Camino has been used by walkers (and those with horses or donkeys) for thousands of years. In my opinion, it is not designed to be used by bicycles. That's my opinion, especially after many, many times being - at bes -t alarmed by cyclists suddenly wooshing past me and - at worst - having near collisions (and seeing others actually get hit).

This being said, I met some bicyclists along the way I liked very much.

Are you referring to the climb up to the Alto del Perdon? I took this track and did not see any such signs, in fact I saw and was passed by around 5 or 6 cyclists on this part of the track. Thanks for the input. Cheers
Actually on tyhe way down from the top there was a diversion for cycles.

That implies that the path is for bikes up to the diversion and then again when the diversion rejoins the walking path farther down the hill.

Actually on tyhe way down from the top there was a diversion for cycles. That implies that the path is for bikes up to the diversion and then again when the diversion rejoins the walking path farther down the hill.

Oh YES!
I had a look at that descent and decided that discretion was the better part of safe cycling, although I then went straight past the church at Eunate (the diversion at Muruzabal). So it will be on the bucket list next Spring. Cheers.

The problem is there is no dedicated, exclusive Camino path. It's a shared route, sometimes with vehicles of many types. I suspect many of the fast bike riders are not riding the Camino but are riding one of their "official" marked moutain bike routes! On some sections you may see small painted or plastic signs. These consist of a triangle and two circles. These are markers for one of these routes. If you see these take more care to listen out for bikers.

I biked the Frances and rang a bell but it wasn't always successful as many walkers either didn't hear us or turned and moved across in front of us. We had no problems as we allowed for such reactions.

I biked by myself, not a flock of bicyclists. As such I didn't see any bad bike behavior. I did see some bad hiker behavior. Four a breast and giving no quarter, sharp treking poles pointing like spears, people moving into the center of the road from the side without thinking, people moving right then left then right as if to trap someone. Still, they "own" the trail as much as I did.

I almost got decapitated twice by walkers using their poles as pointing sticks!!

Bells are all good and well but I generally found that they made people jump out of their skin in a completely unpredictable manner. Some jumping to the left, some to the right and one particular couple both into the centre of the path, into each other. I had given plenty of warning so saw it all happen from afar.

I think it all has to work both ways. On paths, then cyclists really need to slow down, give plenty of warning of their approach and defer to walkers, however, on public roads - of which there are many on the Camino - then walkers have to realise it is not their domain only and for their own safety should be more aware of cyclists... and cars... rather than wandering around without a care in the world.

Bells are all good and well but I generally found that they made people jump out of their skin in a completely unpredictable manner. Some jumping to the left, some to the right and one particular couple both into the centre of the path, into each other. I had given plenty of warning so saw it all happen from afar.
The ones who jump to the left are the English and the Aussies :rolleyes:

The ones who jump to the right are residents of the normal parts of the world ;)

And the couple in the middle of the path was probably on their honeymoon :p

Perhaps more cycle paths might help, this one I took in August on the decent from alte de Perdon

Attachments

• 20160813_104240.jpg
    20160813_104240.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Yes, bells can startle walkers...so slow down and use them early--that way you can decide how to avoid them. And walkers, at most only one earbud in, and remember bikes can be behind you--you don't have to use the entire width. Personally I don't think singing is a good warning--lots of walkers sing as well.

I always walk with at most one ear bud in, usually without music. I walked alone and hugged the edge of the road. Yet I was run into/run off the road more than once. My favorite time, just short of SdC, I was run into thorny bushes as a pack of bicycles raced by, five abreast. "Hey, use your bell" I shouted after them. The last guy in the pack, now several yards ahead, rang "ding ding"...I laughed for the next mile. OTOH, headed into Pamplona I saw an Italian bicyclist shout and ring his bell for quite a distance at a group of Korean walkers completely blocking the path. I shouted "look out" (one of the few Korean phrases I remember)--nothing. Luckily the rider was able to keep control of his bike as he went off road over a small hill to avoid them.
The trucks are already trying to kill us, we should all look out for each other.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back