• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Journey begins

Dan Murphy

Time of past OR future Camino
August 25, 2016
Well this is it. Got the Camino de Santiago in my head in mid January and couldn't shake it out for some strange and wonderful reason. Travelling to Biarritz tomorrow then on to Lourdes for a day then back to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Sure I have knots in my stomach but that is normal at the beginning of any journey. Read plenty of posts on this forum and they have helped me with my planning; a big thanks so much to everybody. Now I look forward to long and wonderful walks through the country. Plenty of time to think and plenty of time to wonder and plenty of time to write. I have been given no better gift ...... :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well this is it. Got the Camino de Santiago in my head in mid January and couldn't shake it out for some strange and wonderful reason. Travelling to Biarritz tomorrow then on to Lourdes for a day then back to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Sure I have knots in my stomach but that is normal at the beginning of any journey. Read plenty of posts on this forum and they have helped me with my planning; a big thanks so much to everybody. Now I look forward to long and wonderful walks through the country. Plenty of time to think and plenty of time to wonder and plenty of time to write. I have been given no better gift ...... :)
@Dan Murphy
It is strange. It is wonderful. And that is just the prelude that led to this beginning. Welcome to your camino. Let it teach you what you need to learn. Buen camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino Dan! I will be following in your steps very shortly too! Doesn't all of this reignite that 'sense of wonder'!!!

Buen Camino and welcome Dan!

The stomach knots are just a sign of expectant wonder...

Go Well and let us know how you're doing along the Way...

PS had to giggle at the synchronicity... just returned from buying some Spanish wine at our local wine merchants... Dan Murphys :D

PPS Just checked out your bio - I thought you wrote like a poet...

Last edited:
Excellent .. once the Camino gets into your head it just won't let go, nags and nags at you until you go - and there you are!!

Have a marvellous pilgrimage .. take your time, don't rush ... respond to it all as it happens, you are the moving centre that all will manifest around.

And .. let us know what you leave on the "no longer wanted" table at Roncesvalles :);)

Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Best of luck Dan, I'm off on Sunday so I might see you alt the way!
Buen Camino

Well done, Dan the Man !! :). You're going to have fun. Please say a prayer for me when you are at Our Mother's Grotto. Buen Camino. May the Holy Spirit be your guide. Caesar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Excellent .. once the Camino gets into your head it just won't let go, nags and nags at you until you go - and there you are!!

Have a marvellous pilgrimage .. take your time, don't rush ... respond to it all as it happens, you are the moving centre that all will manifest around.

And .. let us know what you leave on the "no longer wanted" table at Roncesvalles :);)

Buen Camino!!
David. Agree with all you've said. I'll throw in my two cents and say that the Camino Call is one you cannot say NO to. As in, no one just GOES on a Camino. I believe there is a CALL. BTW what's the "no longer wanted" table at Roncesvalles?? I don't remember being at one when I was there. Did I miss something :) ? Buen Camino, Caesar

Buen Camino!!
That is exactly what happened to me ~ it nagged and nagged until I went! :)

I didn't leave anything at Roncevalles...couldn't quit part with anything at that point but after I was done with the Pyrenees I came upon a town and there was a bench next to a vending area and I left a bag full of some rather "good stuff" for someone (as it was too useful to just throw in the trash) Hopefully someone found and bag and put those things to use...or maybe they just threw it away! who knows...but I do know I was cussing up a bit as I 'reduced' that pack weight. Mainly cussing at myself for not doing it BEFORE I started walking and I carried that "stuff" all the through the mountains only to leave it on a bench. Too bad I just didn't listen to everyone on the forum in the first place.

I didn't leave anything at Roncevalles...couldn't quit part with anything at that point but after I was done with the Pyrenees I came upon a town and there was a bench next to a vending area and I left a bag full of some rather "good stuff" for someone (as it was too useful to just throw in the trash) Hopefully someone found and bag and put those things to use...or maybe they just threw it away! who knows...but I do know I was cussing up a bit as I 'reduced' that pack weight. Mainly cussing at myself for not doing it BEFORE I started walking and I carried that "stuff" all the through the mountains only to leave it on a bench. Too bad I just didn't listen to everyone on the forum in the first place.

@Angie94
I left a pair of flipflops on the donated items bench at Roncesvalles, but that is what I brought them for. I booked a bed at Corazon Puro the night before I began my camino and the night after I stayed at Roncesvalles. For only two nights between, I was able to leave at Corazon Puro a lot of things (and weight) that I did not want to carry over the Pyrenees. For footwear that was not my hiking boots, I brought a pair of very lightweight flipflops, wore them at Orisson and Roncesvalles, then left them on the free gear table at Roncesvalles and was reunited with the rest of my gear that night at Corazon Puro (11 km. from Roncesvalles). This worked really well for me: not too much to carry nor too far to walk at first.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
David. Agree with all you've said. I'll throw in my two cents and say that the Camino Call is one you cannot say NO to. As in, no one just GOES on a Camino. I believe there is a CALL. BTW what's the "no longer wanted" table at Roncesvalles?? I don't remember being at one when I was there. Did I miss something :) ? Buen Camino, Caesar

Hi purplesage - in Roncesvalles if you turn away from reception and walk towards the cafe area (not a cafe, but has machines and tables) on the right you will see two tables .. loaded with gear that pilgrims have abandoned - some nice stuff there too!!

Hi purplesage - in Roncesvalles if you turn away from reception and walk towards the cafe area (not a cafe, but has machines and tables) on the right you will see two tables .. loaded with gear that pilgrims have abandoned - some nice stuff there too!!
David WOW.... a goldmine you mean :), PILGRIM stuff. Oh man. Thank you brother David, Buen Camino :), Caesar

WOW... Angie... long time no see !!! Hope you had a great, just great Camino. Am exploring India now :) its blazing HOT in New Delhi, where I am. But there's The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, just 10 mins from my door step. Its beautiful there. And, coincidentally, a good friend of mine is the Parish Priest now !!! Stay well, Camino Sister :) and Buen Camino, Caesar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino! You'll meet a ton of amazing people and experience a million new things. I'm envious of your first time :) It might seem difficult from afar, but it won't feel that way while you're adventuring. Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back