• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last minute decision to walk from Leon to Santiago

Luba Klama

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in spring/summer (2016). Hoping to start sometime in early June.
Dear Camino Trekkers! My plan was to have completed the Camino Frances, from SJPD to Santiago by mid-June. However, it was not to be. Now, today, I find myself able to take a 2 to 3 weeks if I leave this Monday, Tuesday at the latest! What's worrying me is that I stopped "training" for my Camino when I realized I couldn't do the walk in May/June and I'm scarred :) I never do anything without much consideration and preparation. LOL
I have essentially 13 walking days, 17 days in total to factor in travel time, and think I can walk from Leon to Santiago in that time period. I suppose I'm looking for affirmation. Just do it; Seize the moment type of stuff. Is this a good possibility or should I start the walk a day or two in from Leon? I need to sleep on this as everything is happening so suddenly, but I will need to make my decision tomorrow. Thank you all!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have essentially 13 walking days, 17 days in total to factor in travel time, and think I can walk from Leon to Santiago in that time period. I suppose I'm looking for affirmation. Just do it; Seize the moment type of stuff. Is this a good possibility or should I start the walk a day or two in from Leon?
It looks like you could do it. It is 15 miles / 25 km a day. However, I suggest starting from Astorga. At the same rate that gives you an extra two days to make up for slow or recovery days. If you don't need them you have some extra days in Santiago or bus to Finisterre or Muxia. The stretch between Leon and Astorga isn't that great anyway.

León to Compostela, upon Godesalco distances planifier, is 322 km. In 13 days, that means 24,7 km average. I think it is perfectly doable.
I you want a more relaxed approach, and a couple of "just in case" days, start in Astorga.
You don't need "training". It is not an athletic contest, and the steep sections start many days after León. At most, try some walks with your loaded backpack, just to be used to it.

And yes, it seems you already have your decission made and just want some cheering up.:) Don't worry, I have four Caminos under my feet, and every time has been as the first one -last minute decisions, nervousness and some silly newbie mistakes. Finally, it always goes well.
Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you both, Rick and Felipe, for your replies. To be safe, starting from Astorga seems wise. Very nervous here. I have so much to do if I take this on in essentially 5 days. At least I had worked-in my hiking boots back in the spring. At least I think I have! Now to get a pack and try it out a few times.

rome2rio.com shows a few mid-afternoon to evening trains from Leon to Astorga but it says there are hourly bus departures via Alsa. Both cost about $20 and take an hour. The site says a taxi costs about $60-$75. What you take will likely depend on when you get to Leon. I suppose the cost is in American dollars.

We started from Leon on our first Camino. We had 17 days-- we spent two nights in Leon, then walked to Astorga, we spend a day there (two days). Then we walked on steadily, taking another half day break in Samos. We arrived in Santiago de Compostela three days ahead of schedule-- so we had time to look around the city, but not enough time to walk to Finisterre.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, León is worth a visit -the most magnificent gothic catedral in Spain; the ancient Pilgrim's hospital (now a five star hotel); the pilgrim's blessing at San Isidoro. A vibrant, interesting city.
Bus is the better way to Astorga. No need for reservation beforehand, just go and buy the ticket. The terminal is not far from downtown, just the other side of the Bernesga river.

Its up to you! Go for it. My small suggestion - get the bus out of Leon as far as La Virgen Del Camino (it saves about 10 km through the industrial area). From La Virgen I suggest walking via Villa de Mazariff (about 12 km through the country - away from the highway traffic). If you are feeling ok you could continue as far as Hospital de Orbigo (another 15 km - reasonably level going). From Hospital to Astorga again take the alternative route via Santibanez.
If you do start in Astorga the first day to Rabanal is only (only?) 20-22 km BUT it involves a 255 metre climb. The following day is another 350 metre climb so I suggest taking these two day slowly. But yes GO FOR IT. Buen Camino:):cool::rolleyes:

My small suggestion - get the bus out of Leon as far as La Virgen Del Camino (it saves about 10 km through the industrial area). From La Virgen I suggest walking via Villa de Mazariff (about 12 km through the country - away from the highway traffic).
If you do start from Leon that is what to do.

In Leon there is the gothic cathedral of course but during the camino I found a great appreciation for the romanesque period. The camino in Leon passes the Basilica of San Isidoro and attached to that is a museum that conatains books and other objects of that period but there were two things that absolutely fascinated me, the 11th century Royal Pantheon and the chalice of Dona Urraca, one of the Holy Grails that Europe is so full of. The Royal Pantheon is sometimes called the "Sistine Chapel of Romanesque art" and a recent book documented the chalice (and did such a job that it might be off display for awhile.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you both, Rick and Felipe, for your replies. To be safe, starting from Astorga seems wise. Very nervous here. I have so much to do if I take this on in essentially 5 days. At least I had worked-in my hiking boots back in the spring. At least I think I have! Now to get a pack and try it out a few times.
Buen camino

Hi @Luba Klama, great that you're seizing this opportunity! I agree that starting from Astorga might be a better option. I suggest that you keep you pack as light as possible - if you find that you need extras items, you can pick them up in Ponferrada.

Trains from Madrid (Chamartin) to Astorga take about 3 hours (www.renfe.es); buses take from four hours (alsa.es). Some buses depart from Madrid Airport T4.

If you decide to start at Leon, the train is probably the better option - the fast trains take as little as 2 hours 13 mins. @Saint Mike II 's suggestion of taking a bus to Virgen del Camino is a good one, given your time constraints.

Buen Camino!

Hi @Luba Klama, great that you're seizing this opportunity! I agree that starting from Astorga might be a better option. I suggest that you keep you pack as light as possible - if you find that you need extras items, you can pick them up in Ponferrada.

Trains from Madrid (Chamartin) to Astorga take about 3 hours (www.renfe.es); buses take from four hours (alsa.es). Some buses depart from Madrid Airport T4.

If you decide to start at Leon, the train is probably the better option - the fast trains take as little as 2 hours 13 mins. @Saint Mike II 's suggestion of taking a bus to Virgen del Camino is a good one, given your time constraints.

Buen Camino!

Thanks! I booked my flight today. If I give myself 4 travel days, I've got 13 days to walk from Astorga to Santiago! Bought my pack too. Ready to roll! Excited.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dear All: There is a lot of information on this site about travel from the airport to which ever destination however I didn't see anything about the necessity to pre-book bus tickets. My flight arrives in Madrid at 7:55 am, traveling from Toronto,Canada. There is a 10 am bus from T4 for Astorga. The next bus is at 1:45 pm, arriving at 6 pm. I'd really like to try for the 10 am bus, but not confident we can make it and would hate to waste 49 Euro if I pay in advance. There is also a train, departing from Madrid-Chamartin to Leon at 11:05. That would be doable, with plenty of time to get from the airport to Chamartin. Would tickets need pre-booking for the train? Thoughts? Suggestions? If we get to Astorga after 6pm will we be able to get our Camino passbook? We'd like to start our walk the day after our arrival. Thank you for reading this long post! Luba

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you will miss the 1000 bus, you will miss the 1105 train! The bus stop is in the T-4 terminal; the train station for a connection train to Chamartin is in the lower level, and it will take you an hour to get to Chamartin (normally). I have never seen a full bus or a full train, so I suggest that you buy your ticket when you get there. You can get a credential in the albergues of Astorga at any hour that they are open and staffed.

If you will miss the 1000 bus, you will miss the 1105 train! The bus stop is in the T-4 terminal; the train station for a connection train to Chamartin is in the lower level, and it will take you an hour to get to Chamartin (normally). I have never seen a full bus or a full train, so I suggest that you buy your ticket when you get there. You can get a credential in the albergues of Astorga at any hour that they are open and staffed.

Thank you! We will buy our bus tickets there.

If going to Astorga directly at a good time doesn't work out you may want to go to Leon for the afternoon and tour it and get the first bus to Astorga in the morning. You will be set back a few hours but you will see a bit more Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back