• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arrival Details (With Much Excitement!)

DannyFox

Time of past OR future Camino
Septembre 2016 or March 2017
Hello, everyone!

Danny Fox from New Lenox, Illinois, United States, here. On Septembre 14th, I will be landing in the Biarritz Airport to embark on my very first Camino. St. Jean to Compostella. *gulp* As I've been learning, we are all on this for a reason. No one walks the way by accident. There are a million setbacks I've encountered, so I have decided to take the reigns on my life and take a pilgrimage for my soul. Let me tell you I could not be more nervous and extremely excited! You've all helped so much the past few months.

I was wondering if anyone would have advice for last-minute details. I will be arriving on the 14th at 7:15pm. I figured that is a bit late, so I will be staying my first and only night in an actual hotel, the Hotel Anjou. Would you recommend a cab from the airport to the Hotel? Then, in the morning, I will depart for St. Jean. What do you recommend there? A cab? Or I've heard there may be a train? Once in St. Jean, I will stay there in an albergue and have a second day of getting my bearings and dealing with jetlag. And then, on Septembre 16th, I start my journey on the Camino!! Anywho, if cabs are recommended, how do I go about getting one in a foreign country? Will there be information or people to ask at the airport and hotel?

Thank you all SO very much for your time and hope to see some of you along the way.

Buen Camino,
Peace and love,
Danny Fox

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Unless you know how to get to Hotel Anjou in the dark, a taxi is probably your best bet! The next day you can take a taxi or city bus to the Bayonne train station for the train to SJPdP. It does not take reservations; seats are first come, first serve with standing room when necessary. Buen camino.

Trains on the 15th, Bayonne to St Jean. 7:45, 11:10, 14:55, 18:06. Takes about an hour. Costs around €10. Short walk into the centre from St Jean train station. I'd recommend getting to the station at least 30 mins before departure if you don't have a ticket. There are often long queues. There are machines where you can buy tickets at all stations too. Touch screen. If you don't know French there is an English option button.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thread discusses how to get from Biarritz Airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP)

Biarritz Airport is the closest airport to SJPdP.

Biarritz Airport (BIQ)
http://www.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Chronoplus #14 from Airport to Gare de Bayonne
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

SNCF TER Aquitaine. Train service from Gare de Bayonne to SJPdP #62. Sometimes train service is replaced by a bus that operates on the same schedule with the same stops using the same tickets. Note the station name is 'Saint Jean Pied de Port' ... the website does not recognize 'SJPdP'.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/regions/aquitaine/fr/default.aspx

A section of the tracks between Cambo les Bains and SJPdP was washed out in Spring 2014 and subsequently was repaired November 2015.

Alternatives are:

Transport64 - Bus service from Gare de Bayonne to St Palais #811. St Palais to SJPdP #810.
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Express Bourricot, based in SJPdP, offers 'person transportation' service to and from Biarritz Airport as well as any other location in the region. This service is essentially a private hire taxi and must be arranged in advance. The cost goes down as the number of passengers goes up.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

Biarritz Airport Transfers, based in Biarritz, provides taxi and transfer service from Biarritz Airport to SJPdP.
http://www.biarritzairporttransfers.com/Biarritz-to-Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.html

Note: it is possible to take Chronoplus bus C from Biarritz Airport to Gare Biarritz then take an SNCF train from Gare Biarritz to Gare Bayonne. This is faster than Chronoplus bus 14 from Biarritz Airport to Gare Bayonne though bus 14 runs more frequently than the train ... if you are on tight timings it might work.

Another option for arrivals short of time is to take a taxi to Cambo les Bains and intercept the SNCF TER service to SJPdP from there.

Use the SNCF station sites to get oriented before you travel.

SNCF Gare Biarritz
http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frbiq/biarritz

SNCF Gare Bayonne
http://www.gares-sncf.com/fr/gare/frxby/bayonne

Links checked July 2016

Unless you know how to get to Hotel Anjou in the dark, a taxi is probably your best bet! The next day you can take a taxi or city bus to the Bayonne train station for the train to SJPdP. It does not take reservations; seats are first come, first serve with standing room when necessary. Buen camino.

Perfect. Thank you! :)

Trains on the 15th, Bayonne to St Jean. 7:45, 11:10, 14:55, 18:06. Takes about an hour. Costs around €10. Short walk into the centre from St Jean train station. I'd recommend getting to the station at least 30 mins before departure if you don't have a ticket. There are often long queues. There are machines where you can buy tickets at all stations too. Touch screen. If you don't know French there is an English option button.

Thank you very much, especially for the train times! :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think this info may be confusing for Danny. I just looked up Hotel Anjou and it appears it is in Biarritz not Bayonne. He said he is staying there on the night of 14th, and in St Jean night of 15th, so he is in no hurry at all.

Danny - I suggest you get a taxi to your hotel when you arrive, it will be late and you don't need the hassle of buses after a long flight. Have the name and address of your hotel written down, to give the driver. (btw, the map on the hotel's website seems to be wrong) Have cash in Euros, and avoid the 50 note, people don't trust it or claim they don't have change.

Have a look on the SNCF website for trains from Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port. Looks like there are 4 a day, it takes about 1 and a half hours and you'll need to change trains at Bayonne. So no hassles here. You'll probably need to get a cab to the train station in Biarritz, it's not right in the centre.

If you have a reservation at the albergue in St Jean, you don't particularly need to set out at the crack of dawn either. Might be nicer to pack your bag and leave it with the hotel reception, go for a swim on the beach in Biarritz in the morning - it's one of the most famous in Europe, or a wander about. Then collect your bag and go to St Jean on the 14:09 train.

You'll be in St Jean in plenty of time for a stroll around, get your Credential from the pilgrim office, have dinner and early to bed for starting in the morning.

Alternatively, if you want to go to mass in St Jean, can anyone advise what time Danny would need to be there?

I think this info may be confusing for Danny. I just looked up Hotel Anjou and it appears it is in Biarritz not Bayonne. He said he is staying there on the night of 14th, and in St Jean night of 15th, so he is in no hurry at all.

Danny - I suggest you get a taxi to your hotel when you arrive, it will be late and you don't need the hassle of buses after a long flight. Have the name and address of your hotel written down, to give the driver. (btw, the map on the hotel's website seems to be wrong) Have cash in Euros, and avoid the 50 note, people don't trust it or claim they don't have change.

Have a look on the SNCF website for trains from Biarritz to St Jean Pied de Port. Looks like there are 4 a day, it takes about 1 and a half hours and you'll need to change trains at Bayonne. So no hassles here. You'll probably need to get a cab to the train station in Biarritz, it's not right in the centre.

If you have a reservation at the albergue in St Jean, you don't particularly need to set out at the crack of dawn either. Might be nicer to pack your bag and leave it with the hotel reception, go for a swim on the beach in Biarritz in the morning - it's one of the most famous in Europe, or a wander about. Then collect your bag and go to St Jean on the 14:09 train.

You'll be in St Jean in plenty of time for a stroll around, get your Credential from the pilgrim office, have dinner and early to bed for starting in the morning.

Alternatively, if you want to go to mass in St Jean, can anyone advise what time Danny would need to be there?

Notion900,

I greatly appreciate your thorough response. Excellent suggestions and information!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You're welcome. Everything gets much less complicated once you start walking! And September to October is a gorgeous time to be going.

From what I've been researching, I'm so glad you confirmed the "gets easier actually along the Camino" bit. Whoo-ey, are these minor beginning details head-spinning! Haha! Hoping the weather was going to be beautiful out that time of year. Thanks so much again. Cheers!

I also vote for a morning walk in the Biarritz seaside. Very pleasant, nice old residences.
Don't forget to validate (or "compost") your train ticket before boarding the train in the yellow little machines at the station; just do as everybody does.
There is not too much to do in Saint Jean Pied de Port, but it is a good idea to arrive at your albergue for diner; you will know many other pilgrims in a confusing but fun multilingual talk.
Check also if this night there is a pilgrim's blessing in the Notre Dame church -you can attend whatever your beliefs are. It is an emotional moment for everybody. Ask your "hospitalero" or albergue manager, s/he will know.
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Danny,
My dad and I are also spending the day in SJPP on the 15th before we begin walking on the 16th! We'll be staying in Beilari. Hope to meet you!
And yeah, these last minute details are overwhelming to me too. Looking forward to some simplicity. :)

Beth

Danny,
My dad and I are also spending the day in SJPP on the 15th before we begin walking on the 16th! We'll be staying in Beilari. Hope to meet you!
And yeah, these last minute details are overwhelming to me too. Looking forward to some simplicity. :)

Beth
Amen to that! You will be ahead of me by six days. I leave SJPdP on the 21st. I too am looking forward to just doing it. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome Danny and Buen Camino!

Hi Danny
Another vote here for a stop in Biarritz.
It's a cool place. Go for a swim, do the coast walk.
I like to stay at "Le Petit Hotel" - downtown, close to the beach, and the stop for the regular local bus that goes to the train station in Bayonne.
Good travelling and Buen Camino
Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The hardest part of my Camino was logistics getting SJPdP plane and train and getting from Santiago back home. Walking the Camino was a no brainer. Just don't stop walking until reach your destination.

Hello, everyone!

Danny Fox from New Lenox, Illinois, United States, here. On Septembre 14th, I will be landing in the Biarritz Airport to embark on my very first Camino. St. Jean to Compostella. *gulp* As I've been learning, we are all on this for a reason. No one walks the way by accident. There are a million setbacks I've encountered, so I have decided to take the reigns on my life and take a pilgrimage for my soul. Let me tell you I could not be more nervous and extremely excited! You've all helped so much the past few months.

I was wondering if anyone would have advice for last-minute details. I will be arriving on the 14th at 7:15pm. I figured that is a bit late, so I will be staying my first and only night in an actual hotel, the Hotel Anjou. Would you recommend a cab from the airport to the Hotel? Then, in the morning, I will depart for St. Jean. What do you recommend there? A cab? Or I've heard there may be a train? Once in St. Jean, I will stay there in an albergue and have a second day of getting my bearings and dealing with jetlag. And then, on Septembre 16th, I start my journey on the Camino!! Anywho, if cabs are recommended, how do I go about getting one in a foreign country? Will there be information or people to ask at the airport and hotel?

Thank you all SO very much for your time and hope to see some of you along the way.

Buen Camino,
Peace and love,
Danny Fox

Danny you are gonna love your time on the Camino, don't stress out about this and that.

the advice already put on here by veterans is very good, (they aren't called veteran's for nothing, they know their stuff)

especially,

"Express Bourricot, based in SJPdP, offers 'person transportation' service to and from Biarritz Airport as well as any other location in the region. This service is essentially a private hire taxi and must be arranged in advance. The cost goes down as the number of passengers goes up.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/" ask for Caroline

if say, 3 other people arrive in Biarritz at the same time as you, ask them if they would take the 4 of you straight to St Jean that night,
So look for fellow Pilgrims with the shell sign on their rucksack, be friendly and polite and ask if they would like to share a taxi. it would save you time and money.

and if it doesn't work out , take time to enjoy the people of Biarritz (the airport is really small) and northern France.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Joe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The hardest part of my Camino was logistics getting SJPdP plane and train and getting from Santiago back home. Walking the Camino was a no brainer. Just don't stop walking until reach your destination.
Love it, indeed hope the walk is a no brainer!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back