• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Frances in Mid/late September

EFH

Time of past OR future Camino
(planning to walk in August!)
Dear Camino friends!

I am a young woman who has done the Finisterre route in July and absolutely loved it. I became convinced that I wanted to do the whole camino so I gave up my room and in mid september/late september I am looking to do the frances from St Jean. I was wondering is this a good period to do the camino and will there be some other people around? What sort of tips do you have for special gear I need around this season?

Afterwards I am looking to maybe work/volunteer in a hostel and improve my spanish. Do you know of any places where I could go?

Any tips are welcome ! Kindly,

Many thanks! <3 <3

Eline

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome Eline, yes I think September will be a lovely time to walk. Both the heat and the crowds should have abated.
Happy planning and Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You may have a couple hundred a day leaving in September from SJPdP, and a like number leaving Sarria, so you won't be alone regardless of where you start. You didn't mention your country of origin, but you may need to review the Schengen visa restrictions. In general you cannot work or volunteer under them, though volunteers probably stay under the radar. Regardless, know the rules! Buen camino! :)

You may have a couple hundred a day leaving in September from SJPdP, and a like number leaving Sarria, so you won't be alone regardless of where you start. You didn't mention your country of origin, but you may need to review the Schengen visa restrictions. In general you cannot work or volunteer under them, though volunteers probably stay under the radar. Regardless, know the rules! Buen camino! :)
Hey Falcon! I am from the Netherlands so I dont know if that means it would be possible for me to work/volunteer there? I thought maybe workaway could also be nice to do. As long as i have a roof over my head and some food and some good company i am happy. Thankyou!
Kindly,

Eline

I am also a first timer and will be leaving SJPP on September 21 and am anticipating 33-34 days to complete the walk. Hope all goes well for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am from the Netherlands so I dont know if that means it would be possible for me to work/volunteer there?
I think you can do anything you want! It is one wide open market over there at the moment.;)

I am also a first timer and will be leaving SJPP on September 21 and am anticipating 33-34 days to complete the walk. Hope all goes well for you.
Hey Kent! Awesome I am also looking to go around that time. Still gotto book tickets to Biarritz. Where are you from?

Southern California; I am flying through Madrid and then to Pamplona and taking a bus or train from there to SJPP (hopefully, haha)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Camino friends!
Afterwards I am looking to maybe work/volunteer in a hostel and improve my spanish. Do you know of any places where I could go?Eline

You work in a hostal or hotel; these are commercial ventures. You volunteer in an albergue.
Not important. I only mention it because otherwise it could confuse your possible contacts in Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Likewise a newbie not confined start date but hopefully between 12th-21st September. Very much looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you along the way. From Middlesex (West London) .
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Starting on 9/11 from SJPdP, but only going as far as Valcarlos the first day, then to Burguete beyond Roncevalles the second day. Look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims.

Hola! I am also new to the Camino, flying in from South California to Madrid on September 19th. I am taking Air Nostrum shuttle to Biarritz where I will pick up a transport to SJPP . . . a lot of moving parts that I'm crossing my fingers will all come together. I have a 2 night layover to rest and visit SJPP before heading up the hill on the 22nd to Orisson, perhaps we'll cross paths. Travel safe.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola! I am also new to the Camino, flying in from South California to Madrid on September 19th. I am taking Air Nostrum shuttle to Biarritz where I will pick up a transport to SJPP . . . a lot of moving parts that I'm crossing my fingers will all come together. I have a 2 night layover to rest and visit SJPP before heading up the hill on the 22nd to Orisson, perhaps we'll cross paths. Travel safe.
Ill watch out for you. !!

...and my husband and I are first timers as well, Eline! Hopefully we'll catch up. We leave SJPP on Sept 9 :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Lorraine I'm leaving St JPP on 15/9 - are you on the flight from Stanstead on 14/9?
Best wishes and Buen Camino
Fiona

Hi Fiona,
I'll be flying in from Dublin a couple of days earlier, but will be leaving SJPDP on the 15/9. I'm sure our paths will cross :)

Lorraine

Lorraine and Fiona sounds like you could be on Ryanair flight 14/09, I hoping to be able to commit to a flight later today if not over the weekend. If I do travel on this flight have you booked a transfer to St Jean? If everything falls into place I would be interested in sharing the fare and no harm having a little company to arrive as I'm sure I will be like many looking little boy/girl lost.
If this date and booking works out then hopefully at some stage can say hi to you as well Lorimar.
Streuth I'm nervous about this but words don't seem to help describe why!!
Buen Camino

Lorraine and Fiona sounds like you could be on Ryanair flight 14/09, I hoping to be able to commit to a flight later today if not over the weekend. If I do travel on this flight have you booked a transfer to St Jean? If everything falls into place I would be interested in sharing the fare and no harm having a little company to arrive as I'm sure I will be like many looking little boy/girl lost.
If this date and booking works out then hopefully at some stage can say hi to you as well Lorimar.
Buen Camino

Hi Scarlet Fez,
I'm arriving a couple of days before the 15th, so I'm going to gradually make my way to SJPDP via train. Thanks for suggesting the shared transfer though! I'll certainly keep an eye out for you and Fiona. I'm spending the first night of the hike (i.e. 15th) in Orisson (taking it easy at the start), so if we don't come across one another in SJPDP perhaps we will in Orisson.

I'm finding the thoughts of the Camino exciting and daunting at the same time, but you know what, I'm just going to take each day as it comes, keep putting one foot in front of the other and I'm sure it'll all be grand......

Best of luck with your planning over the weekend.

Lorraine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino
Hi
I am indeed on that flight - can't argue with £20 on sky scanner! I'm booked on the mini bus. http://www.expressbourricot.com/
Maybe see you on the flight?
Buen Camino
Fiona

If I can confirm a booking on that flight I will indeed plug for the express bourricot as well if there's a seat. Think I read the more seats that are filled the cheaper the transfer is.

Lorraine I successfully confused myself thinking that Lorimar was someone else. Never said I was clever which I'm sure will become apparent if we cross paths. I to was keen on staying at Orrison but by leaving my booking so late what ever date I start the challenges that lie ahead it will be fully booked I'm sure. Did you book there on line or phone up?
I'm a first Camino first timer and I agree with your philosophy of taking one day at a time, and just go with the flow at your own pace I certainly shall. I think until we become 'match fit' after a few days I will have to then when I'm tired and questioning why I'm doing this go into ski mode. When my legs are really cross with me mid afternoon, picture an après beer awaiting me ahead held by a friendly 'inn keeper'.
Mick

If I can confirm a booking on that flight I will indeed plug for the express bourricot as well if there's a seat. Think I read the more seats that are filled the cheaper the transfer is.

Lorraine I successfully confused myself thinking that Lorimar was someone else. Never said I was clever which I'm sure will become apparent if we cross paths. I to was keen on staying at Orrison but by leaving my booking so late what ever date I start the challenges that lie ahead it will be fully booked I'm sure. Did you book there on line or phone up?
I'm a first Camino first timer and I agree with your philosophy of taking one day at a time, and just go with the flow at your own pace I certainly shall. I think until we become 'match fit' after a few days I will have to then when I'm tired and questioning why I'm doing this go into ski mode. When my legs are really cross with me mid afternoon, picture an après beer awaiting me ahead held by a friendly 'inn keeper'.
Mick

Hi Mick

You are not confused at all, Lorimar is my username. Don't rule out getting a space at orrisson, I sent them a request through their website and they confirmed a couple of days later. (Which was quite quick compared to the experiences other people have had). It would still be Worth contacting them when you finalise your plans. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/
(Phone numbers in there too)

I'm sure there will be plenty of well deserved apres beers lying in wait along the Camino.

Lorraine

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mick

You are not confused at all, Lorimar is my username. Don't rule out getting a space at orrisson, I sent them a request through their website and they confirmed a couple of days later. (Which was quite quick compared to the experiences other people have had). It would still be Worth contacting them when you finalise your plans. http://www.refuge-orisson.com/
(Phone numbers in there too)

I'm sure there will be plenty of well deserved apres beers lying in wait along the Camino.

Lorraine

Well that's it bitten the bullet and flight booked for 14/09/2016 Ryanair Stansted into Biarritz. I know I'm wasting my time but tried to email Orrison for staying there 15/09. Message would not send via their website link and trying to send it direct to listed address of refuge. Orrison@wanadoo.fr comes back rejected as invalid address!!

Well that's it bitten the bullet and flight booked for 14/09/2016 Ryanair Stansted into Biarritz. I know I'm wasting my time but tried to email Orrison for staying there 15/09. Message would not send via their website link and trying to send it direct to listed address of refuge. Orrison@wanadoo.fr comes back rejected as invalid address!!

Hi Mick

Try: refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

That's where my confirmation came from.

Lorraine, message now been sent to Orrison and I await to see if they have a bed for the 15th, don't hold much hope, don't ask don't get. The rejected e-mails implied it was the address but have discovered what the problem was and yes you guessed it the problem was in fact me!! Not for detailing here I might blush.

Fiona, I have also booked a transfer on the 14/09 for flight FR372 from Biarritz airport to St Jean with Express Bouricot, so our paths should cross initially if only at the beginning when you and most others will leave me in your wakes.

Well that's it its actually going to happen. I've talked the talk let's see if I can walk the walk. I think reality is about to kick in no backing out now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Right my plan is finally coming together flight arrives Biarritz at 1705 on 14/09. Couldn't get on the the first Express Bouricot run but booked onto the 1815 one and price quoted implies that 4/5 on board.
I have not booked anywhere in St Jean yet, any recommendations ?
Decided to be sensible and although I couldn't get into the Orrison on 15/09 I have decided to stay at the Kayola which is run by them and nearby. No evening meal available there but can eat at the Orrison.

EFH, how about your plans? Did you came back?

Marcel

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back