• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My thoughts are with Italian Earthquake victims and communities

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
Guidebooks for the VF and VFsouth often mention that a cathedral or some other landmark building has been destroyed and rebuilt several times following earthquakes.

But it takes the horrible reality of the present earthquakes at Amatrice and nearby towns to drive home the horror of what that really means.

I can only hope that the people affected find strength to carry on, to mourn their dead and injured , and eventually, when the time is right and sadness has lost its present raw edge, to rebuild their beautiful towns.

I also hope that pilgrims who may have been in the general area affected have emerged unscathed.

My thought are with you all.

Bob M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Guidebooks for the VF and VFsouth often mention that a cathedral or some other landmark building has been destroyed and rebuilt several times following earthquakes.

But it takes the horrible reality of the present earthquakes at Amatrice and nearby towns to drive home the horror of what that really means.

I can only hope that the people affected find strength to carry on, to mourn their dead and injured , and eventually, when the time is right and sadness has lost its present raw edge, to rebuild their beautiful towns.

I also hope that pilgrims who may have been in the general area affected have emerged unscathed.

My thought are with you all.

Bob M
Hi, Bob,

I can only second your wishes and intentions. We could start independent money channel (I think that could be a real trouble for Ivar...), but if my small country has open donating telephone number already for 20 hours ago I think there are enough from all over the EU already.

Sending good wishes is all we can do at the moment I guess...

We can do something practical. If any of us on this forum were thinking of walking the Camino or some other non-Italian pilgrimage route, why not change plans and walk part of the VF in Italy, or one of the other hiking routes that pass through the earthquake- affected area? We would be helping accommodation providers, bar owners, shops to recover from the tragedy. There might also be other opportunities to help out in a practical way.

But perhaps more importantly, we would be showing local people by our presence and personal sympathy that we cared enough about them to make the journey on foot to be among them.

Bob M

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We can do something practical. If any of us on this forum were thinking of walking the Camino or some other non-Italian pilgrimage route, why not change plans and walk part of the VF in Italy, or one of the other hiking routes that pass through the earthquake- affected area? We would be helping accommodation providers, bar owners, shops to recover from the tragedy. There might also be other opportunities to help out in a practical way.

But perhaps more importantly, we would be showing local people by our presence and personal sympathy that we cared enough about them to make the journey on foot to be among them.

Bob M

I think that is a good idea - in a few years time. At the moment the people in the most affected areas are far too busy to search for survivors, bury their dead etc. I don't think they would appreciate pilgrims turning up looking for accommodation (destroyed hotels) and food/drink (destroyed bars/restaurants/waterlines). Also well meaning volunteers, without the right training, are usually of little help in destroyed areas. But I agree, in the future, pilgrims could be of help. Buen Camino, SY

I think that is a good idea - in a few years time. At the moment the people in the most affected areas are far too busy to search for survivors, bury their dead etc. I don't think they would appreciate pilgrims turning up looking for accommodation (destroyed hotels) and food/drink (destroyed bars/restaurants/waterlines). Also well meaning volunteers, without the right training, are usually of little help in destroyed areas. But I agree, in the future, pilgrims could be of help. Buen Camino, SY
I do agree - don't go yet. It is too soon, at least for a year, I'd say.

My hope is that they will rebuilt the villages.
There was a earthquake in the area 7 years ago and the villages that where hit at the time, they are still in ruins.
Wish you all well, Peter.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back