• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Independent (first time) peregrinos - baggage transfers?

JaneI

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (May 2015)
Hi all,

My husband and I are planning to do our first camino next week - all very spontaneous (for good reason, having just come through a very difficult couple of months); we're reasonably experienced and frequent walkers, I've read up as much as I've been able to so far, and we have accommodation booked in Pontedeune, Belanzos, San Paio, Marantes and Santiago - so I'm hoping that gives us a manageable itinerary.

BUT: we are then going to spend a further couple of weeks elsewhere in Spain - so although we can travel reasonably light for the actual camino, we do need to bring suitcases for our extended stay. Does anyone have experience of arranging baggage transfers other than going through the organised tour companies? I'm wondering if it is easy to arrange a taxi to take bags on ahead each day, perhaps.

Any thoughts (on this or on our planned itinerary!) much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jane

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are several livery companies. Such as this: http://www.xacotrans.com/?lang=en
Dependable and will pick up and drop off, no problems.
Check for your route, or someone else may have more details.

An alternative is to send package to Ivar in Santiago and pick it up when you complete the Camino.

Buen Viaje.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's fantastic, thank you so much! Beginning to think this is going to happen ... :)

There are several livery companies. Such as this: http://www.xacotrans.com/?lang=en
Dependable and will pick up and drop off, no problems.
Check for your route, or someone else may have more details.

Hmm. Turns out xacotrans don't cover the Campano Ingles; and ideally I'd like to have access to our bags during the week rather than sending them on to Santiago.

Presumably it wouldn't be impossible (albeit a bit pricey) to book a taxi at each stopping point to take our bags to the next one? (If it all gets too much I might hitch a lift at the same time ;-) )

www.jacotrans.com is who we used on the English Route last year. We had a bit of a complicated schedule and they kept up with us with 8 different hotels/pensiones. It was very nice to have the whole suitcase at the end of each day!

It appears you can build your itinerary on their webpage, but I'm sure you can work out the details via email as well. Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hmm. Turns out xacotrans don't cover the Campano Ingles; and ideally I'd like to have access to our bags during the week rather than sending them on to Santiago.

Presumably it wouldn't be impossible (albeit a bit pricey) to book a taxi at each stopping point to take our bags to the next one? (If it all gets too much I might hitch a lift at the same time ;-) )
The pack transfer service on the Norte is a network of taxi drivers (not like the Frances). Costs about 1 eu/km. You most likely have to make arrangements with taxis.

www.jacotrans.com is who we used on the English Route last year. We had a bit of a complicated schedule and they kept up with us with 8 different hotels/pensiones.

Thanks for this - I'd looked at their website but didn't find any mention of the English route - I've emailed them now so keeping my fingers crossed!

It was very nice to have the whole suitcase at the end of each day!

:) Yes, I think as a first timer I rather like the reassurance of having all my 'stuff' to hand at the end of a long day's walking ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... we can travel reasonably light for the actual camino, we do need to bring suitcases for our extended stay. ...

... ideally I'd like to have access to our bags during the week rather than sending them on to Santiago. ...

You will be surprised how little you actually need on the Camino to be perfectly happy! Send superfluous luggage ahead to Santiago and just enjoy your Camino without worrying about luggage transport! It really makes a difference! Buen Camino! SY

Do you actually have to have all your remaining things in a SUITCASE? We nearly always either spend some time in Europe, usually after our Camino, this year it will be before.
If you can pack your surplus in something smaller than a suitcase, then you just simply buy a special box at the post office ( correos). They come in many sizes and then you either send this by post, either to Ivar or poste restante at the main post office in Santiago. Anne

Ah, yes.....and once you have actually walked the Camino, you will realize how little things you need. Last year, we went to a family wedding in England, but previously visited various grandchildren in Switzerland and Italy (meaning taking presents) so we needed to take a suitcase ( hubbies suit, shoes, shirt, etc. plus my wedding attire). Because of having learnt to economize on clothing you think you might need, but don't, we manage to take all our things in one suitcase, which weighed in at only 19 kgs and that included the suitcase. Last November, we celebrated our 50 th anniversary in Mexico and travelled for two weeks with just one carry-on bag each. The Camino has made us experts in letting go!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What did your suitcase weigh? Pm me if you'd rather not say out loud;)

Ha! I have no shame ... let's just say the people at Jacotrans were very forgiving, as I'm quite sure my suitcase (a 21' rolling carry-on) exceeded their limits! I don't remember exactly, but it was FULL. Must have been 30 pounds (13 kg)? Heavy enough that I was always SO relieved when someone had hauled it upstairs to the room for me (thank you, kind innkeepers!). And, as others have commented above, I did learn that I didn't need all of that stuff....and yet, as I'm putting my things together for another Camino in a couple of weeks, I'm looking at another very full suitcase. The lessons of the Camino did not necessarily stick! But, with this conversation, I'll take another pass through and see what I can leave behind.

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning to do our first camino next week - all very spontaneous (for good reason, having just come through a very difficult couple of months); we're reasonably experienced and frequent walkers, I've read up as much as I've been able to so far, and we have accommodation booked in Pontedeune, Belanzos, San Paio, Marantes and Santiago - so I'm hoping that gives us a manageable itinerary.

BUT: we are then going to spend a further couple of weeks elsewhere in Spain - so although we can travel reasonably light for the actual camino, we do need to bring suitcases for our extended stay. Does anyone have experience of arranging baggage transfers other than going through the organised tour companies? I'm wondering if it is easy to arrange a taxi to take bags on ahead each day, perhaps.

Any thoughts (on this or on our planned itinerary!) much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jane

Jane -- you are going to love the Camino! We booked both accommodations and baggage transfers through Camino Ways and it's worked beautifully. The transfers have gone perfectly and they chose great little hotels in every town. When we arrive after a long day of walking, our bags are waiting. I know they work on the Camino Ingles as well. Good luck! Ning

Thank you all for your great advice! I know that afterwards we'll know how much of our stuff we didn't need (let's face it, I know that after even an ordinary holiday!) - but of course as first timers we can't get to that point until we've done the journey (there's a metaphor in there for anyone that's looking for one ...)

So, for my own peace of mind and reassurance I think we'll go with Jacotrans (for anyone else reading this thread who wants the same information, for the English Way they have pointed me towards www.caminodesantiago2010.com.es).

www.jacotrans.com is who we used on the English Route last year.
They've emailed me with a quote and asked for payment in advance - is that how you did it?

We had a group of 6 people and paid in advance. Well, I didn't make the arrangements, but I gave my money for the daily fee to the lady who did on the first morning of our walk. I believe that some carriers use an envelope system daily where you put money in an envelope attached to your bag, but we didn't do it that way.

Another option is to simply shop in Santiago at the end of the Camino, where you can purchase both clothing and nice inexpensive suitcases.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just to tie this thread up, Jacotrans provided excellent service - on the first morning they turned up on the dot to transport us to Ferrol (from A Coruna) and our bags to Pontedeume, and from there on our bags were delivered unfailingly efficiently to our onward destination. It meant we had our little luxuries when we wanted them, and more to the point meant that we could decide every day exactly what we needed to carry with us for that day's walking, with no unnecessary weight. Highly recommend the service for those that feel it would be useful for them.

Is it possible (reasonable) to mail a small bag/box from St. Jean Pied de Port directly to Santiago (to Ivar's service, or to my intended hotel), or does the fact of mailing from France into Spain create extra costs, delays or other issues? I've been wondering whether to use Jacotrans or Bourricot to get my little "city" bag from my start in SJPP to, say, Pamplona, or wherever it is reasonable to expect a Spanish post office. I'm guessing no PO at Roncevalles, right?

Right you are! No post office in Roncesvalles. First Spanish po for sending package from is Pamplona. Mailing from SJPdP to SdC would cost more since package goes from France to Spain. Check Express Bourricot web for way to send package direct to SdC from France.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Right you are! No post office in Roncesvalles. First Spanish po for sending package from is Pamplona. Mailing from SJPdP to SdC would cost more since package goes from France to Spain. Check Express Bourricot web for way to send package direct to SdC from France.
Very interesting! "Price: 70€ per suitcase, 20kg max, transport and storage [in Santiago] included." Not cheap, but it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Hi, I packed too much on my trip last month, and thankfully discovered the Correos service--called Mi Mochila. They transported my duffel bag (so my backpack was very light for walking) for 5 euro each day, from Sigueiro to Santiago and then from Santiago to Fisterra. They do not go to Muxia, but there are others that do. They are very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, but hopefully for my next trip, it won't be necessary!

Another option that I discovered from a fellow peregrina near the end of my trip, was you can ship your stuff to the main post office in Santiago and they will hold it there until you can pick it up. Not entirely sure exactly how that works but it might be less expensive than taxi-ing your stuff all over Spain.

Hi, I packed too much on my trip last month, and thankfully discovered the Correos service--called Mi Mochila. They transported my duffel bag (so my backpack was very light for walking) for 5 euro each day, from Sigueiro to Santiago and then from Santiago to Fisterra. They do not go to Muxia, but there are others that do. They are very reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, but hopefully for my next trip, it won't be necessary!

Another option that I discovered from a fellow peregrina near the end of my trip, was you can ship your stuff to the main post office in Santiago and they will hold it there until you can pick it up. Not entirely sure exactly how that works but it might be less expensive than taxi-ing your stuff all over Spain.

How do you book Mi Mochila and how do you pay? I don't have online banking, and anyway, that would be expensive with the currency change interest. On the Frances I used Jacotrans and you didn't have to book, just put money in an envelope attached to your rucksack with directions on it.
I would like to transport my pack from A Coruna to Sergude - what happens when you stay in a Municipal? I don't think you can deliver to a municipal.
I did email the correos (Mi Mochilla) but so far have not had a reply.

I'm not sure about delivery to Municipals but Mi Mochila have envelopes in the hotels. €4 per day for five stages or more, €5 otherwise. Service is very good, delivered by 2pm everyday. You can just leave the money in the envelope. You can also send your itinerary by email beforehand or write each day on an envelope if your schedule is more fluid.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back