• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking from Burgos to Santiago

Rioppo

Time of past OR future Camino
Cycling (2017)
I plan to cycle from Burgos to Santiago in early May 2017. There is so much information out there! What is the best city in Spain to fly into and what is the easiest way to get to Burgos from there? I'm looking at bike rentals and am trying to decide if it would be better to just rent a bike, work out my own tentative itinerary and find accommodation when I arrive wherever I would like to stop, or book a cycling trip that provides accommodations, some meals, bike, etc. I have already looked into Caminoways who have provided me with an itinerary with accommodations, etc., but I'm not sure if I need this. How difficult is it to arrive in a town/village and find your own accommodations at arrival? I plan to bike approx. 50 km/day and take about 9-11 days. (I'm over 60 yrs. and a fairly fit cyclist.) Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
... How difficult is it to arrive in a town/village and find your own accommodations at arrival? I plan to bike approx. 50 km/day and take about 9-11 days. (I'm over 60 yrs. and a fairly fit cyclist.) Thanks!

Not difficult at all and thousands of pilgrims on bicycle do it each year! Buen Camino, SY

Hi Rioppo! Welcome to the forum!

What is the best city in Spain to fly into and what is the easiest way to get to Burgos from there?

Madrid. You can take a bus from Madrid's airport to Burgos with Alsa (www.alsa.es/en).

Alternatively, depending on where are you coming from, you could look for flights to Bilbao too but in that case, you would need to go from Bilbao's airport to downtown Bilbao to take either a bus or a train to Burgos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola Rippo - as you are a fit cycling Pilgrim you will really enjoy the Camino from Burgos. You can follow the walkers camino trail all the way to Rabanal (20 km west of Astorga). Although there will be places where its easier to ride the road - the Camino runs along side it. From Rabanal to Molinaseca I suggest taking the road - the track is not bike friendly.
As for renting v buying v bringing your own. If you are expecting to ride in under 2 weeks / 15 days then renting is a better option. Whilst I have never used them BikeIberia have a good reputation. As for what city to fly into - depends upon where you live. Madrid is probably a better option - there are trains and buses (many of each) travelling this route. Have a look back through these pages and you will see posts on this subject from me - but more especially from newfydog. Buen Camino.

I plan to cycle from Burgos to Santiago in early May 2017. There is so much information out there! What is the best city in Spain to fly into and what is the easiest way to get to Burgos from there? I'm looking at bike rentals and am trying to decide if it would be better to just rent a bike, work out my own tentative itinerary and find accommodation when I arrive wherever I would like to stop, or book a cycling trip that provides accommodations, some meals, bike, etc. I have already looked into Caminoways who have provided me with an itinerary with accommodations, etc., but I'm not sure if I need this. How difficult is it to arrive in a town/village and find your own accommodations at arrival? I plan to bike approx. 50 km/day and take about 9-11 days. (I'm over 60 yrs. and a fairly fit cyclist.) Thanks!
I recently cycled from Logrono to Leon with my two daughters. We used rented bikes from a company called Nava rent. I would NOT recommend them. The quality of bikes was very poor (cheapest of Decathlon own brand - Decathlon do very good bikes) they were not fit for purpose. The guy supplying them in Logrono was late so instead of being on the road early, it was almost 11am which put us about 3 hours behind 'normal' schedule and we ended up cycling in 38 degrees of heat. Also my derailleur snapped off and I needed a replacement bike which took 8 hours to arrive. I had to walk 8kms again in searing midday heat to the next town.
The approximate cost for bike rental for 9-11 days will be around €300, You will need a decent quality all terrain bike unless you plan to travel along the National route rather than the actual Camino ( a much better experience). I would advise you to bring your own bicycle or find a company that is more reputable than the one I chose. If you take along your own bike, most Renfe (Spanish rail) will allow you transport your bicycle for as little as €3.00
If you stay in albergues and eat 'menu peregrino' €30/day will sustain you easily. Most albergues have secure areas to leave your bike.
Look at gronze.com to see elevations, most are manageable, but Atapurca (not steep but poor terrain), Castrojeriz (steep decline), Cruz de Ferro (steep incline and decline), O Cebreiro and Alto de Poyo (steep decline) can be challenging.
Hope this helps. If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to contact me via PM

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Camino in May of this year. I used http://www.cycling-rentals.com/ and was quite pleased. I brought my own helmet, pedals and bike seat and had them set up the bike exactly like the one I own. I also took extra tools, CO2 inflator nozzle, air pressure guage and first aid kit. You can buy CO2 cartridges in Spain I also brought a really loud bell to add to the rental bike.

In May about one third of the days will have some rain, so plan accordingly. Include some rest days and tourist days in addition to weather days. Make sure your bike can handle rain---waterproof baggage, fenders/mud flaps, great rain gear. Rain can make sections of the trail so muddy that you will prefer the road, or at least I did.

Do it yourself. I biked the Camino by myself. You are never really alone. There will be times when you don't see other pilgrims, but then you will likely see a car/truck in a few minutes. Every time you stop you will be able to make new friends if you try.

Ahead of my trip I only booked my pre-Camino bike days and my last day. That was so I would have a place to get over jet lag and the rental company knew where to send and pick up the bike. The only time during the trip I booked ahead was when I had my gear shipped ahead as the needed a place to drop it off. That is a good idea on those days when you have huge elevation gains.

You will do fine. Enjoy. PS get one of the Pilgrim passports form this site and enjoy getting it stamped everywhere on your journey.

I did the Camino in May of this year. I used http://www.cycling-rentals.com/ and was quite pleased. I brought my own helmet, pedals and bike seat and had them set up the bike exactly like the one I own. I also took extra tools, CO2 inflator nozzle, air pressure guage and first aid kit. You can buy CO2 cartridges in Spain I also brought a really loud bell to add to the rental bike.

In May about one third of the days will have some rain, so plan accordingly. Include some rest days and tourist days in addition to weather days. Make sure your bike can handle rain---waterproof baggage, fenders/mud flaps, great rain gear. Rain can make sections of the trail so muddy that you will prefer the road, or at least I did.

Do it yourself. I biked the Camino by myself. You are never really alone. There will be times when you don't see other pilgrims, but then you will likely see a car/truck in a few minutes. Every time you stop you will be able to make new friends if you try.

Ahead of my trip I only booked my pre-Camino bike days and my last day. That was so I would have a place to get over jet lag and the rental company knew where to send and pick up the bike. The only time during the trip I booked ahead was when I had my gear shipped ahead as the needed a place to drop it off. That is a good idea on those days when you have huge elevation gains.

You will do fine. Enjoy. PS get one of the Pilgrim passports form this site and enjoy getting it stamped everywhere on your journey.

Thanks for the great info, especially about the tools and gear! C.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back