• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What do you sleep in?

G.White

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago September 12 to October 8 (2016)
Just wondering what everyone sleeps in? I wonder if I could find a light weight set of pajamas and a robe?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just wondering what everyone sleeps in? I wonder if I could find a light weight set of pajamas and a robe?

Most pilgrims just wear what they plan to wear the next day aka next days shirt and underwear plus the trousers put on in the morning. Carrying special night wear is superfluous imo. Buen Camino, SY

I wear a cami on top and base layer on bottom. The fewer items I take, the fewer I have to keep up with, and the less weight I have to carry.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have never seenanyone sleep in the next day's clothes, unless they brought bedding that is not warm enough. How uncomfortable. :confused:

A Tshirt and boxers work (although we learned on this forum that some people peek up boxers as people climb up to their bunk :eek: ), I like my lightweight pjs,p which include a long sleeve T I can wear in colder temps, which I wear around the albergue, or in colder temps my long johns and long sleeve T, which can also be worn under a Macabi skirt around town and under rain pants.

No robe, ever, no matter what the reason, there is no reason to carry that extra weight, even if it's one of those micro fiber robes which double as a towel.

Depends on where I stay and the time of year. In summer in an albergue I would wear a very light T-shirt and shorts. In winter thermal long-sleeved shirt and long johns. Unless it was extremely light (silk perhaps) I wouldn't find a robe worthwhile for either weight or bulk.
This year I am carrying both of these for a September to November camino with a new lighter sleeping bag: light cotton tshirt and cotton boxer-style shorts for hot weather, and merino long johns and a merino long-sleeved shirt for colder weather. I may wear the tshirt under the long-sleeved shirt if I find the latter prickly for night wear. I also have an extra pair of warm, soft woolen socks for sleepwear. All of the woolens may provide extra warmth in the day if it gets really cold or I cannot get my walking socks dry. I wouldn't sleep in my day clothes - just yucky.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For late autumn/winter I wore clean leggings and a short sleeve technical tee shirt. In REALLY cold weather, ie when my breath was white within the unheated albergue, loose socks, a long sleeve technical tee and a wooly hat with ear flaps were added for further warmth and a certain wacko charm.

For further sleepwear suggestions see this earlier Forum thread.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/what-to-sleep-in.33424/

Last edited:
In eight caminos, I have seen the occasional sets of pyjamas, but only once a robe, and it was a very dashing Japanese silk kimono.

Last year on the Via Francigena I met a young and quite small Italian man on the descent from the Grand St Bernard pass. He was carrying a HUGE and obviously very heavy rucksack. He estimated it weighed 17kg but I think it might have been more. The following night we shared a room and he took 2kg of dried rice and a thick cotton bathrobe from the rucksack as he prepared to shower. In 30+C August temperatures. Perhaps not surprising that he abandoned his walk on day 3 with a knee injury.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Normally the next day's athletic boxers is what I wear while the current day's line dry. I can do this at any time of the year by bringing the right sleeping bag/quilt/liner bag for the temps I will encounter. I cannot sleep in full clothing and socks are the worst for me. Pants and a t-shirt are always right beside me to put on before walking around the Albergues.

This year I am carrying both of these for a September to November camino with a new lighter sleeping bag: light cotton tshirt and cotton boxer-style shorts for hot weather, and merino long johns and a merino long-sleeved shirt for colder weather. I may wear the tshirt under the long-sleeved shirt if I find the latter prickly for night wear. I also have an extra pair of warm, soft woolen socks for sleepwear. All of the woolens may provide extra warmth in the day if it gets really cold or I cannot get my walking socks dry. I wouldn't sleep in my day clothes - just yucky.
You are a 'veteran member', so you'd probably know: I plan on walking from Lisbon from the middle of September. How about buying warmer clothes later on in the year? Maybe when I arrive in Porto? Question: am I going to find long underwear in Portugal?

I'm on the Camino right now. I made two merino wool dresses to walk and sleep in. After my afternoon shower I put on the dress I washed the day before. Then I wear it to bed, sans bra. When I ease up I just put on my bra, shoes and socks, and I'm ready to go. I've been walking for a week, and this is working very well for me.

During the day I also wear a lightweight pair of shorts under the dress to prevent any possible chafing, and for modesty.
I have leggings to wear underneath if it ever cools down!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I slept in my Patagonia knit hiking skirt and lightweight T. The skirt was light and non-binding and served as my one "town" item, or I could have hiked in it with or without leggings. I liked that I could slip on my hiking pants underneath it the next morning before removing it.

I wear the clean Underarmour polo shirt and Ex-Officio boxer-style undershorts that I plan to wear to walk the next day. All I need to do is put on socks, trousers, and boots, and I am ready to go...

As a general rule, EVERYTHING you carry should be able to be used for at least two purposes. Single use items like pajamas and robes are IMHO dead weight. As such, many of us avoid these items at all costs.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I realized that in my previous post I said that I made the dresses to sleep in. I've corrected it to read walk and sleep in.

You are a 'veteran member', so you'd probably know: I plan on walking from Lisbon from the middle of September. How about buying warmer clothes later on in the year? Maybe when I arrive in Porto? Question: am I going to find long underwear in Portugal?
@Jakke
I am just heading for my second camino and have never walked a Portuguese camino. I suppose that I qualify to be a "veteran" member on the grounds that I talk a lot. What you need to wear or have with you for warmth varies with many details of your planned camino. Walking in the fall, if you have a warm sleeping bag you may not need long underwear. I have already tried mine out with my new light weight sleeping bag and I know that I am comfortable to sleep with the combination and would probably be cold without in cooler weather. I am beginning my camino in the Pyrenees and will be there for a week or so, considering my route. You are beginning further south and will be walking north into weather which may be cooler or wetter. Would you wear long underwear to walk in or sleep in in similar conditions at home? Are you willing to carry with you something which you may wear very little or not at all? You will have to rely on someone else for information about Portuguese clothing stores but it is your choice whether to buy or carry them.

I can't sleep in clothing, so had the lightest possible sleeveless nightgown to wear. Plan was to wear it as a layer if needed, but it wasn't. Will take it on my next Camino too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I brought a very light top that I had bought originally as a bathing suit cover up. Very thin fabric but not see through, sleeveless and when I occasionally rinsed it out, dried in no time. Wore with capri length leggings which doubled as base layer on cold days. Never felt undressed walking around the albergues. I was always comfortable except in one freezing cold albergue and then I slept in my next day cloths plus the base layer leggings. Burrrrrr.

Last edited:
@Jakke
I am just heading for my second camino and have never walked a Portuguese camino. I suppose that I qualify to be a "veteran" member on the grounds that I talk a lot. What you need to wear or have with you for warmth varies with many details of your planned camino. Walking in the fall, if you have a warm sleeping bag you may not need long underwear. I have already tried mine out with my new light weight sleeping bag and I know that I am comfortable to sleep with the combination and would probably be cold without in cooler weather. I am beginning my camino in the Pyrenees and will be there for a week or so, considering my route. You are beginning further south and will be walking north into weather which may be cooler or wetter. Would you wear long underwear to walk in or sleep in in similar conditions at home? Are you willing to carry with you something which you may wear very little or not at all? You will have to rely on someone else for information about Portuguese clothing stores but it is your choice whether to buy or carry them.
:) I live in Finland ...'Nuf said, I suppose. If only I can be reasonably sure I can buy what I need, I'd be happy to take a little risk. With the weather forecast in my pocket (my mobile), I can be more or less sure about what I'll be facing. Thanks for your thoughts!

I wear a nylon, full slip and if it is cold, I put on my smartwool (long-sleeved) top, which doubles as outerwear when I need a sweater "for town wear."

In a bed, in my fresh short pants with all of my valuables in the pockets ready for the next day, no shower until the end of the next. Keep it simple.

There are 4 Decathlon stores in and around Porto, including on in Matoshinos. I would not expect to buy anything once you pass Porto unless you are lucky enough to be in town the day the market is on, and even then, the goods available may raise an eyebrow.

I walked in a long sleeve athletic sun shirt and running shorts, lightweight and dry super fast. I had two sets and wore to bed the (CLEAN) set for the next day, washed the ones from that day and hung them up to dry. I slept in a ultralight 40degree sleeping bag and was never cold at night. The next morning all I had to do was throw on a bra and a fleece if it was cold. Easy! I did have one pair of hiking pants that I could use for walking around town if it was chilly at night or if it was really cold during the day.

I wear string a t shirt and a sarong in company ... the sarong comes off and I sleep in my string t shirt and underpants in my warm 100% silk double silk liner ....oooooooohhhh luxury! Am snuggled in it now in Muxia!

Buen Camino

I took a very lightweight night dress and short leggings on all my caminos. I wore the leggings under my walking pants on cold days.
It worked well for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are 4 Decathlon stores in and around Porto, including on in Matoshinos. I would not expect to buy anything once you pass Porto unless you are lucky enough to be in town the day the market is on, and even then, the goods available may raise an eyebrow.
Thanks! That is helpful information. So that probably means I'll have to do some shopping in Porto.

I wear string a t shirt and a sarong in company ... the sarong comes off and I sleep in my string t shirt and underpants in my warm 100% silk double silk liner ....oooooooohhhh luxury! Am snuggled in it now in Muxia!

Buen Camino[/QUOTE

Would you mind telling me where you found this double silk liner? Thank you.

I am glad all I slept in was a pair of slick running shorts, kept my next day of clothes clean, even when it was below freezing my hairy body kept me warm in my bag. I need to have a DNA test to find out what ancestry gave me such good back hair...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.