Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Albergue in downtown Grado!

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
This just in!
The ayuntamiento of Grado and Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago (FICS) are opening the new Albergue de Peregrinos "Villa de Grado" on Saturday, with bagpipers, dancers, and nice surprises for whichever pilgrims show up in town looking for a nice place to stay.

The 16-bed donativo albergue is in a historic market-house building on the edge of the downtown. It was gutted and rebuilt with an albergue in mind -- it offers bike storage, a fully-equipped kitchen for pilgrim use, handicap access, and friendly volunteer hosts from all over the world. Grado offers a full range of stores, bars, restaurants, medical and pharmacy care.

The albergue will remain open through October.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Excellent news! I would like to see the look on the faces of the first pilgrims into town who walk through Saturday!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have the list at work, but the main things are things that will make it easier to clean the albergue and feed the pilgrims and that can be left there - rubber gloves, washing-up brush, immersion blender (my old one, I bought a new one), all my spare kitchen towels and microfibre cloths, loads of cheap pens, BookCrossing-registered books that I can re-read and leave as the start of an albergue library (as many as I can carry). I'll go through my first-aid stuff and take all the spares, I'm sure some band-aids will come in useful for someone. I'll look through our dictionaries and bring the spare ones.

I also have stuff for myself, like my full regular packing list, plus some extra REAL towels (to be left for future hospitaleros), a pillow and pillow case and a sheet (that I can leave), a few extra t-shirts etc, so I won't have to do my laundry quite as often as I do on the camino, and an extra pair of light shoes, not just boots and Crocs. A small daypack for short walks, in case there is time. And a thing I've NEVER carried on a camino - a small laptop, plus a really long extension cord.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hopefully the roster of hospitaleras/os has filled up easily, Rebekah!
Good work--that pic is a beautiful sight.
Praying for very generous pilgrims and eager (but not too eager) hospis.

...plus some extra REAL towels (to be left for future hospitaleros), ...
Hi HeidiL. Are you serving in Grado before or after me (1-15 July)? Just wondering..... ;):D

(p.s. I'll leave something for your benefit if I'm there before you!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
http://www.rtpa.es/sociedad:Grado,-parada-obligatoria-en-el-Camino-Primitivo_111471800952.html

Grado, parada obligatoria en el Camino Primitivo

El albergue Villa de Grado recibe cada día una media de 60 personas

El Camino Primitivo recibe estos días miles de peregrinos y Grado / Grau es una de sus paradas obligadas.

Allí, el albergue Villa de Grado, abierto en mayo, recibe cada día una media de 60 personas y sus 16 camas están ocupadas cada jornada.

La instalación es la única en Asturias gestionada por la Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago. Una red de 200 voluntarios de todo el mundo que aportan en turnos de 15 días su experiencia en la ruta jacobea.

Translation: The Albergue Villa de Grado gets an average of 60 people a day.

These days the Camino Primitivo has thousands of pilgrims walking and Grado/Grau is one of its obligatory stops.

The Albergue Villa de Grado, open in May, receives every day an average of 60 people and it's 16 beds are full every day.

The Albergue is the only one in Asturias cared for by the Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago (FICS). A group of 200 volunteers from all over the world, who with their 15 day stays bring their experience from the Camino to Grado.

Now my question -- does this mean that the Albergue keeps track of the number of people who come looking for a bed but are turned away?

That number certainly suggests that there is room for more private initiative in Grado, although there are more beds a few kms down (actually up) the road.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
And I have to disagree with the title "parada obligatoria". I certainly didn't stay in Grado, having stayed in Esclampero and then San Juan de villapanada.

I am sure Grado receives 60 pilgrims (or more) every day, but fortunately they don't ALL try to sleep here. Many walk on to San Juan, others use the private facilities. The albergue is much nicer, of course...

(on duty right now, having received today's first pilgrims, two Italians)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am sure Grado receives 60 pilgrims (or more) every day, but fortunately they don't ALL try to sleep here. Many walk on to San Juan, others use the private facilities. The albergue is much nicer, of course...

(on duty right now, having received today's first pilgrims, two Italians)
We saw you in a short video. Excelent Spanish ;)

Hay un vídeo en el enlace donde se ve el albergue y sale Heidil de voluntaria.

There is a video link where the hostel is voluntary and leaves Heidil.

Incorrect translation. Very incorrect :)

In the link there's a video where you can see the albergue, and Heidil (she's volunteering).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cosas de google. Yo no tengo ni idea de inglés. ;)

Google things . I have no idea English.;)

Si, lo imaginé. Las traducciones de Google me hacen reír.
Tengo suerte de hablar los dos idiomas.

Hay un vídeo en el enlace donde se ve el albergue y sale Heidil de voluntaria.

There is a video link where the hostel is voluntary and leaves Heidil.

At Santo Domigo de Silos I saw information boards in Spanish and English where the English was obviously courtesy of google translate: quite hilarious nonsense, but not as funny as this muddle of misplaced modifiers.

The worst Google translate has to be the info sign by the Irache monastery which uses the F word to transtalte "take", as in "if you take the left you will end up... ". A little issue with the misuse of tne Spanish word for "to take". And it's on the info board for a monastery! :eek:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Translation: The Albergue Villa de Grado gets an average of 60 people a day.

These days the Camino Primitivo has thousands of pilgrims walking and Grado/Grau is one of its obligatory stops.

The Albergue Villa de Grado, open in May, receives every day an average of 60 people and it's 16 beds are full every day.

The Albergue is the only one in Asturias cared for by the Fraternidad Internacional del Camino de Santiago (FICS). A group of 200 volunteers from all over the world, who with their 15 day stays bring their experience from the Camino to Grado.

Now my question -- does this mean that the Albergue keeps track of the number of people who come looking for a bed but are turned away?

That number certainly suggests that there is room for more private initiative in Grado, although there are more beds a few kms down (actually up) the road.

I think the 60 per day is a number derived by the average number of pilgrims that walk the route during the typical walking season from say March to October.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back