• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving SJPdP September 21,2016

I think everyone decides for themselves how they will carry on check or a combination of both keeping the essentials with her as Alberta girl does On the way over is very smart. I know one should not get attached to gear but I have lost some items used on the Camino in the back country each was very much felt. The world will not stop if it happens you lose your entire pack/kit Just replace in country. May take 2-3 days but you will quickly realize staying warm dry is all you need. Food is easily found. I lost my towel 3x so I drip dried, lost my warm fleece took 3 sdays to find something to cross the passes for warmth but got by. Broke my eye glasses took 2 days to find a town with a shop. I am pretty blind just got use to staying close to the other walkers & not loosing sight of their Blurry colored packs. My point is there is nothing you loose that you can't get by without except 1 thing your money. That has to be your priority. So be creative to have a backup plan.

Last thing phones when I walked were a highly stolen item. When it is lost your home/bank is no longer easily accessed so it can be stressful for those that do lose them. So please be kind & offer to give them access. I just realized This is a very long message. Yep I am an old guy...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Montana, that makes perfect sense. Now you've pointed out the protection it offers the pack I have just realised that I think I may already have the remedy. Having over they years been on numerous family holidays where we have used numerous large lightweight holdhalls. These over the years get slightly damaged, punctured and are replaced. A lot of them have been used in our loft/attic to store stuff etc. Was only thinking recently that there are so many that we need to sort and cull a few. So one of them can be used to put the pack in and poles for the flight to Biarritz and chuck it away on arrival. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Will worry about the return flight home after my Camino adventure.

You must be getting pretty exited your Camino is fast approaching. How's your training been going? I've been putting the miles in and having eventually got my pack which was comfortable and done some mileage with it loaded. Suprise suprise I had aches in parts of my legs that don't usually complain about lots of exercise.
Still due to family logistics etc haven't confirmed my date. Could well be 20/21st September or if I can change a long standing commitment the week before 13/14th September. I'm fortunate living in the London area that I have 2 flight options to Biarritz and can still get a one way flight out there for a about £60. Pretty much have all my kit ready to go.
Wish you and anyone else setting off soon a Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be starting out from SJPDP on the 21st of September as well. We are taking the train from Paris on the 20th and staying at Itzalpea for the night. When I made reservations at Itzalpea, I found that a lot of places in the center were already full. We will also be staying in Orisson. I guess we will see you there!
So excited!!!
I am flying to Paris .. arrive 18th then train to Bayonne ... staying overnight to get some sleep after flight ... train to St Jean 19th ... staying at Itsalpea also overnight to get some sleep after flight ;) ... decided to start walk on 20th via Valcarlos .... a teeny bit worried as everyone else going over the top :) .... I might be walking alone :eek: ...
excited non the less

Anne

Anne, I woudnt worry to much says he with no Camino experience. There are not that many beds in Orrison so many will press on probably having had a rest at Orrison. I'm caught in two minds about whether to stop over there as well as I hear the first day is a 'Beast' and breaking it up is good practise. Then again I should MAN up as unlike many of you I won't have travelled half way round the world to get there in the first place.
Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You must be getting pretty exited your Camino is fast approaching. How's your training been going? I've been putting the miles in and having eventually got my pack which was comfortable and done some mileage with it loaded. Suprise suprise I had aches in parts of my legs that don't usually complain about lots of exercise.
Still due to family logistics etc haven't confirmed my date. Could well be 20/21st September or if I can change a long standing commitment the week before 13/14th September. I'm fortunate living in the London area that I have 2 flight options to Biarritz and can still get a one way flight out there for a about £60. Pretty much have all my kit ready to go.
Wish you and anyone else setting off soon a Buen Camino.
Good to hear you are getting all set and got the gear ready. Alas, my training is on hold for a few days, nothing major thankfully. After 300 miles on my shoes, my little toe still not happy after any great amount of walking. took the culprits to my old German shoemaker who is stretching them with the hope of better results in that area. Other than that, they feel great. Been doing some training with my loaded pack in our river valley. Right now I feel like I am on Camino overload; just put me on the plane already and point me in the right direction!!!! I have packed and unpacked my pack daily it seems. Hope to meet you along the way. Been camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am flying to Paris .. arrive 18th then train to Bayonne ... staying overnight to get some sleep after flight ... train to St Jean 19th ... staying at Itsalpea also overnight to get some sleep after flight ;) ... decided to start walk on 20th via Valcarlos .... a teeny bit worried as everyone else going over the top :) .... I might be walking alone :eek: ...
excited non the less

Anne
I will be taking the train to St. J
excited non the less

Anne
I will be arriving St. Jean on the 20th and walking only to Orrison the first day. Wish you a been camino and hope to meet up along the way

excited non the less

Anne
Anne, you will be one step ahead of us. Maybe we will meet up with you along the way Enjoy!

Buen Camino!

Good to hear you are getting all set and got the gear ready. Alas, my training is on hold for a few days, nothing major thankfully. After 300 miles on my shoes, my little toe still not happy after any great amount of walking. took the culprits to my old German shoemaker who is stretching them with the hope of better results in that area. Other than that, they feel great. Been doing some training with my loaded pack in our river valley. Right now I feel like I am on Camino overload; just put me on the plane already and point me in the right direction!!!! I have packed and unpacked my pack daily it seems. Hope to meet you along the way. Been camino
I don't think we ever really stop rearranging a pack. I just got back from a 5 day trip in the Rockies. Every day I messed with getting the load closer to my spine. You will do the same on the Camino until you find the perfect load balance. Look in the mirror Side view with your pack on make sure the straps attaching the pack to your shoulder straps are pulled tight. So when you are standing perfectly straight the pack is as well. Never pulling you back. Too far back & you will lean into the load. Over time it will wear on your core strength. No need to be a mule.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think we ever really stop rearranging a pack. I just got back from a 5 day trip in the Rockies. Every day I messed with getting the load closer to my spine. You will do the same on the Camino until you find the perfect load balance. Look in the mirror Side view with your pack on make sure the straps attaching the pack to your shoulder straps are pulled tight. So when you are standing perfectly straight the pack is as well. Never pulling you back. Too far back & you will lean into the load. Over time it will wear on your core strength. No need to be a mule.
Buen Camino
Thanks for the advice; will check that out. Makes sense and yes, I am sure I will be rearranging my pack as time goes on.

No, I leave Canada on September 18th and arrive in Biarritz on the 19th where I will spend the night. Of to SJPdP on the 20th, night again. Leave for Orrison on the 21st where again I will spend the night. After that, it is where ever my body takes me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No, I leave Canada on September 18th and arrive in Biarritz on the 19th where I will spend the night. Of to SJPdP on the 20th, night again. Leave for Orrison on the 21st where again I will spend the night. After that, it is where ever my body takes me.
I am a confused person it is still August :) I best get a watch showing the month as well:rolleyes:

I wish you the best
Keith

I to am going to have to experiment with packing my pack. Have to say 'touch wood' when it's loaded it's very comfortable to carry. I think I have the straps you mentioned attached to my shoulder straps as short as they can go but have to admit noticed in window reflections that I seem to be leaning forward to carry it as if it's heavy.
Still got at least a couple of weeks to work it out. I'm sure there will be plenty on the Camino that will show me the errors of my ways and advise me accordingly.
Mr McNabb, still not booked my flight but looking as it could be the 14th and will be a week a head of you sir.

I to am going to have to experiment with packing my pack. Have to say 'touch wood' when it's loaded it's very comfortable to carry. I think I have the straps you mentioned attached to my shoulder straps as short as they can go but have to admit noticed in window reflections that I seem to be leaning forward to carry it as if it's heavy.
Still got at least a couple of weeks to work it out. I'm sure there will be plenty on the Camino that will show me the errors of my ways and advise me accordingly.
Mr McNabb, still not booked my flight but looking as it could be the 14th and will be a week a head of you sir.
@Scarlet Fez
Just a small note. M. McNabb does not use a picture avatar, but the symbol which she uses instead is the conventional symbol for a female.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albertagirl, a very good point well made about the Avtar symbol. I will consede I paid it no attention and used to work with a mate who had the same surname and initial so think this influenced my ignorance on the matter. I hope and trust it has not caused any offence or embarrassment.
Probably just as well I have today booked my flight into Biarritz on the 14/09 and so for at least a while should be a way ahead hiding my blushes.
Buen Camino

Albertagirl, a very good point well made about the Avtar symbol. I will consede I paid it no attention and used to work with a mate who had the same surname and initial so think this influenced my ignorance on the matter. I hope and trust it has not caused any offence or embarrassment.
Probably just as well I have today booked my flight into Biarritz on the 14/09 and so for at least a while should be a way ahead hiding my blushes.
Buen Camino
@Scarlet Fez
Forget it. I just thought you might like to know. If you meet her along the Way it will be something to laugh with her about. Buen camino.

I am a confused person it is still August :) I best get a watch showing the month as well:rolleyes:

I wish you the best
Keith
Thank you, I think I will need all the best wishes I can get! I get to go to Disneyworld this Wednesday for 10 days but my granddaughter assures me we will walk lots so I did not not need to stay home and train!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you, I think I will need all the best wishes I can get! I get to go to Disneyworld this Wednesday for 10 days but my granddaughter assures me we will walk lots so I did not not need to stay home and train!!!!
Yep mine kept me breathing harder than any hike ever could they move simply too fast.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back