• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Live from the Camino, well very nearly live

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
One week to go before we set off (we = me + my friend Jo McRae) from Pamplona on 15th August and head west.

Fun though it's been talking about it with all of you I'm keen to get some dust on my boots, all the more so since, despite this being No 5, I've been seriously over thinking this one. Don't know why but feel like a newbie again but with a much, much lighter pack!

Should we meet along the Way do say "hello". I look just like my avatar but minus the penguin.

If you'd like to come along in spirit rather than body then drop by and see how we're doing at

https://canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com/
https://canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com/
Take care, as my old boss used to say . . . "it's been real"

Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now that would be something - a penguin on the Camino ;-)
Buen Camino, SY
But there ARE! They sit on a stone bench by the Embalsa de la Grajera outside of Logrono gazing out over the lake and dreaming of Antarctica.

Actually he comes from my first Camino when I was walking with two Irish ladies (still good friends) and in the babble of nonsense that accompanies you along the way the fact that we were "Los Perigrinos looking for the albergue" somehow transmuted into "the Lost Penguins looking for Alberquerque" and so we remain to this day.

Penguin.JPG

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But there ARE! They sit on a stone bench by the Embalsa de la Grajera outside of Logrono gazing out over the lake and dreaming of Antarctica.

Actually he comes from my first Camino when I was walking with two Irish ladies (still good friends) and in the babble of nonsense that accompanies you along the way the fact that we were "Los Perigrinos looking for the albergue" somehow transmuted into "the Lost Penguins looking for Alberquerque" and so we remain to this day.

View attachment 28296

(Spelled "Albuquerque" btw. Okay, carry on!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just waiting for the taxi to arrive. No more talking about it, time to walk the walk.

Thank you for your company - looking forward to "seeing" you all again after I get back.

Now where's that penguin wandered off to . . . . .

old pilgrim.jpg

Slowly but surely getting there.
Arrived in Castrojeriz today. 33 degrees
Stopped at St Anton for a sello. Couldn't have one and couldn't use the toilet either - only for people staying there.
Got the feeling the young hospitaleros would be happy if there were no pilgrims to bother them!
If you're out on the Camino my heart goes out to you.
Drink lots, rest often.

Jeffrey

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So that's that then. All done and dusted.

Can I just say, to whoever it was that posted the thread on Rest Step/Sherpa Steps:

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

You made hills comfortable, O Cebreiro achievable and Poio physically possible.
You shall live on in my heart (and lungs and knees) forever.

Arrived back yesterday and now just lounging around staring at the new Compostela hanging on the wall.

Hard going this one - I can plod along and do distance on the flat, I can do heat on the flat too but I can't to distance and heat up a mountain.

Last. Camino. Ever.

Random thoughts from a returning Pilgrim

Why is it when a peregrino is bursting for a pee and there’s no cover a peregrina is walking slowly behind him?

Similarly when a peregrina is in the same situation and there’s nobody about, as soon as she dives off piste (so to speak) 3 peregrinos turn up out of the blue.

Saw a BTT for sale in a shop window in Arzua for €4299 (honestly). GPSs fitted to bikes are commonplace and cost €400 upwards. GoPro cameras €350 and yet cyclists won’t lash out €2.50 for a cheap “ping” bell.

Why is Russian Salad Russian?

By what logic would you close a hotel for redecoration during the high season?

Whose bright idea was it to destroy the descent from Mostelares by laying down a big slab of concrete?

Why do the most obnoxious “pilgrims” often turn out to be your own fellow countrymen (and women)?

In general we are greeted with open arms by the people of Spain and thank them by leaving a trail of toilet paper, urine and worst right across their country.

Is irony walking through a small village near Samos that is wall to wall cow muck only to see a sign as you exit beseeching you not to use the woods as a toilet?

In order of preference La Casera limon, Kas limon, Schweppes and, if stuck, Fanta (yuk).

Who thought sticking a soggy biscuit on top of natillas would improve it?

Best pulpo – Nosa Terra in Palas de Rey or Ezequial in Melide? Still can’t decide.

Why, when I told the clerk in the Pilgrims’ Office this would be my last ever Camino, did he laugh and say (in English) “See you soon!”

What happened to the other brand new black flip-flop once the owner realised they had lost one?

Similarly, once the remaining black sock with white decoration discovered its pair had fallen by the wayside did it jump or was it abandoned in disgust a few kilometres further on?

I haven’t changed one bit in four years so why is the Camino so different from what it was?

Why is the famous Santiago marker stone so far from the city of Santiago?

Why is the most average Spanish coffee infinitely superior to anything Starbucks have ever sold?

Why am I carrying a poncho AND a lightweight fleece when it’s a heat wave that even the Spanish are moaning about?

If the Frances route was stretched out so that it was completely flat along the whole way how long would it be and who can we get to do that? I mean if they can do it for the Meseta . . . .

A solution to the Brexit issue. Pro-Europeans in the UK get together with the Spanish navy and mount a new Armada. This time the Spanish win, the UK gets subsumed into the Kingdom of Spain and stays in the EU . . .

How do Canadians manage to keep their Tilley hats so pristine? I buy a new one and after a couple of weeks it looks like I’ve been wearing it 24/7 for a year.

What did I eat for dinner last night? Can’t have ensalada mixta three nights in a row.

Why does Spanish require an E before an S (espagueti, España)?

I could do my next Camino like those French people across the plaza there . . . air conditioned car and a chiller box of cold drinks

Where did I sleep last night? Where did I sleep on Tuesday?

I recognise this bit, it’s where I saw <fill in with memory> back in 2001/2003/2012 . . . .

Considering it’s a pilgrimage route why are so many churches locked?

Having told so many people to visit San Nicolas church in Furelos how embarrassing to find it locked up too.

With apologies to Albert Hammond . . .

“Seems it never rains in Santiago de Compostela
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in Santiago
But girl, don't they warn ya
It pours, man it pours”

SO glad I carried that fleece and poncho all the way across Spain (15 degrees and peeing with rain on the last day)

The linen closet in the Reyes Catolicos had what the British would call very large “tea towels” in it. After an afternoon’s shopping returned to find housekeeping had taken them out and laid them on top of the bedside rugs. Was that to keep the rugs clean from our boots or our feet clean from antique rugs?

I’d like a chocolate caliente machine like the one at the breakfast buffet at home.

So that's that then ;).

All Camino'd out at present but thank you for the company, the advice and the banter. Couldn't have done it without you or my friend Jo.

See you along the Way - Ultreia!

Having heard the "this is my last camino" statement from a number of forum members, I don't believe it for one minute. :) No need to plan it, no need to think about it, you will just have to deal with that urge when it hits you again! Loved your comments Jeff. Buen camino, Laurie

Why, when I told the clerk in the Pilgrims’ Office this would be my last ever Camino, did he laugh and say (in English) “See you soon!”
See you there :D

And also Laurie posted something similar and I remember she told me this summer in Santiago that she kind of won't be able to go on another Camino next year. Yet she's already planning to walk Mozarabe and Torres and changed to some northern routes etc.

I guess we are all the same ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Loved your summary of the puzzles we encounter on camino Jeff. I'm also a skeptic - and look forward to your next farewell performance. And the farewell performance after that.

How do Canadians manage to keep their Tilley hats so pristine?
Good question - one of those mysteries of the universe. I have had a Tilley hat for years, and don't like to wear it much for that very reason - it looks too perky and pristine, and SOOO Tilley-hat-like. Of course, if I wore it more, it might start drooping but I doubt it.

Excellent report!

tilley.jpg
T3 hat care of Tilley
Hatband care of my daughter Katherine
Sweat stains care of honest endeavour

Santa Colomba de Somoza 02.09.16

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back