• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Packing to Go (with Thanks!) But Will There Be Music?

PilgrimDance

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP-SDC September-October 2016
People know we like to travel and sometimes ask if we have any trips planned. "Why, yes," is my current answer. "We're going to walk the Camino de Santiago. Do you know what that is?" They almost never do, so I give a quick explanation before their interest fades. "It's a thousand-year-old pilgrimage route across northern Spain." "Oh," says the inquirer with mild curiosity. "How far is that?" "Five hundred miles," I say, ready to break into song. "WHAT?" The surprise is delightful every time. "Who are you going with?" "With Maurice." "But with what group?" "Oh, it's just us," I say. (Us and the other thousand or two people along the trail on any given day.) Eyes widen further as questions form: How long will it take? (Maybe six weeks.) How many miles a day will you go? (Maurice says twelve to fifteen.) Do you usually walk that far? (No.) Have you ever backpacked? (No!) Will you have to carry a tent and build a campfire? By now I am laughing. "We must be nuts," I say, and no one disagrees.

And why are we doing this? That is the question. I've been intrigued by the Camino de Santiago since I first heard of it decades ago. When I first started thinking seriously about walking it, I wanted to hear from people who had already done so. Why did they walk that pilgrim path, that far? So I read books and googled around and delved into the wonderful Camino forum and, to my surprise, I found that a lot of people who walked the Camino couldn't describe exactly why they set off. There were perhaps some surface explanations but they weren't the real reason. Ultimately people went because they felt called to go, and the call became so strong they couldn't ignore it. They were pilgrims in pursuit of an elusive grail.

The call gripped me too. There is mystery in it, and beauty and adventure, but it begins in faith on a path bearing the footsteps of a millennia of pilgrims making their way toward the relics of St. James, hoping for a gracious touch from God. Before Maurice and I together decided to go, and long before I told anyone what we had in mind (because this is such an outrageous idea and I wasn't really convinced I could do it [still not]), I yielded to the call and let the ungovernable seed take root.

So here we are, counting down the days until our long walk with Jesus and the companions he sends us for the Way. We spent the balance of our frequent flyer miles on one-way tickets to Toulouse and will leave St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port for Orisson on Thursday September 8. Of course we are excited but even as I type waves of panic sweep over me. Not only is there is still much to do before we leave, but I am also afraid this pilgrimage is too hard for me. I walk and I weigh and I plan...but all those kilometers? And albergues and my backpack and bedbugs? Yet life is short. How can I not follow the call to make the Camino a part of my journey? And Maurice reminds me that no matter how hard it is, at the end we will visit our new grandson (due while we are on the Way) in the south of Spain.

Dear, dear forum members, thank you for all the help you've given me over the past year as we've planned our Camino. Even though you've heard such sentiments before, please don't think my thanks are perfunctory; they are heartfelt. I have received wonderful ideas, sensible advice and generous encouragement and I love all of you--enthusiastic beginners, affable veterans, unique individuals of every sort, and especially the kind and wise women of a certain age who have given me the idea that if they can do this then maybe I can too. Please continue your patient and much-needed ministry.

Here is my ONE QUESTION (and I hope it's not too silly): I enjoy playing piano and organ. The time on Camino will be my longest time in decades away from my piano, and I think I will miss it. Since I have decided against packing it, am I likely to come across any accessible instruments along the Way? In the corner of an albergue perhaps? If it is a possibility, I could load some music onto my iPad (which Maurice has volunteered to carry for me). Thanks for any insights.

Please say hi if you're walking and you see us. We have Maryland state flag and Camino Forum patches on our backpacks. Maurice sewed his on himself. He did it his own improper way, and without blood, and his patches look better than mine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
PilgrimDance,

You must be very excited as you plan your camino with Maurice!
Stay safe and, in the truest sense,
Ultreia!

By the way in Granon the
Albergue Parochial San Juan Bautista has a piano amongst its many features!

This albergue, in the tower of the church of San Juan Bautista, is VERY special in so many ways.
Open all day its sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make this your home”.
The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable furnishing.
Above on a continuous platform are mats for pilgrims' sleeping bags.
Kitchen and toilets are new and well equipped. One can really relax.
Everything is done to make each pilgrim feel at home. Hospitaleros are
always warm and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant.
This is authentic caritas. Long may it last. Each time upon entering I wanted to stay forever!

Margaret Meredith

Hola - there are certainly playable church organs on the Camino Frances although most places don't have instruments. Just ask the priest if you have enough Spanish - I've never been refused. Puente la Reina And Carrion de los Condes come to mind as open hearted to musicians but there are others. Pianos are a rarer commodity - but never say never, I once went into a roadside café for breakfast on the 88 Temple Route on the Japanese island of Shikoku. I went to the toilet and glanced through a door ajar into the owners living room and lo and behold there was a full size brand new Yamaha piano. It may have been 7am but I was invited to play while they made my breakfast!

Email me when you are approaching Santiago! I'm usually on the bench on Saturdays at 12 noon and 12 and 1pm on Sundays in the church of San Agustín in the centre.

Buen Camino

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wise of you not taking the piano ;-) There are a few guitars and very few pianos around in some albergue. Some pilgrims also take an ukulele or other light-weight instrument. If you take the iPad I would suggest you make a file with all those songs that everybody knows but never remembers the lyrics of ;-) You will get easily a group of wanna bee singers together that way.
Organs are also not too frequent, especially in smaller towns/villages as they don't survive to easily the harsh difference between summer/winter temperatures.

Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino!! My husband and I fly on Sept 7 to spend a couple days in Sevilla for sightseeing, then will bus to Merida where we begin the Via de la Plata on Sept 11. We also just finished sewing our patches on. we also are from Maryland, (Westminster) so I love your idea of a Maryland patch. If I see your Maryland patch in Santiago, I will stop and say hola! all the best!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
People know we like to travel and sometimes ask if we have any trips planned. "Why, yes," is my current answer. "We're going to walk the Camino de Santiago. Do you know what that is?" They almost never do, so I give a quick explanation before their interest fades. "It's a thousand-year-old pilgrimage route across northern Spain." "Oh," says the inquirer with mild curiosity. "How far is that?" "Five hundred miles," I say, ready to break into song. "WHAT?" The surprise is delightful every time. "Who are you going with?" "With Maurice." "But with what group?" "Oh, it's just us," I say. (Us and the other thousand or two people along the trail on any given day.) Eyes widen further as questions form: How long will it take? (Maybe six weeks.) How many miles a day will you go? (Maurice says twelve to fifteen.) Do you usually walk that far? (No.) Have you ever backpacked? (No!) Will you have to carry a tent and build a campfire? By now I am laughing. "We must be nuts," I say, and no one disagrees.

And why are we doing this? That is the question. I've been intrigued by the Camino de Santiago since I first heard of it decades ago. When I first started thinking seriously about walking it, I wanted to hear from people who had already done so. Why did they walk that pilgrim path, that far? So I read books and googled around and delved into the wonderful Camino forum and, to my surprise, I found that a lot of people who walked the Camino couldn't describe exactly why they set off. There were perhaps some surface explanations but they weren't the real reason. Ultimately people went because they felt called to go, and the call became so strong they couldn't ignore it. They were pilgrims in pursuit of an elusive grail.

The call gripped me too. There is mystery in it, and beauty and adventure, but it begins in faith on a path bearing the footsteps of a millennia of pilgrims making their way toward the relics of St. James, hoping for a gracious touch from God. Before Maurice and I together decided to go, and long before I told anyone what we had in mind (because this is such an outrageous idea and I wasn't really convinced I could do it [still not]), I yielded to the call and let the ungovernable seed take root.

So here we are, counting down the days until our long walk with Jesus and the companions he sends us for the Way. We spent the balance of our frequent flyer miles on one-way tickets to Toulouse and will leave St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port for Orisson on Thursday September 8. Of course we are excited but even as I type waves of panic sweep over me. Not only is there is still much to do before we leave, but I am also afraid this pilgrimage is too hard for me. I walk and I weigh and I plan...but all those kilometers? And albergues and my backpack and bedbugs? Yet life is short. How can I not follow the call to make the Camino a part of my journey? And Maurice reminds me that no matter how hard it is, at the end we will visit our new grandson (due while we are on the Way) in the south of Spain.

Dear, dear forum members, thank you for all the help you've given me over the past year as we've planned our Camino. Even though you've heard such sentiments before, please don't think my thanks are perfunctory; they are heartfelt. I have received wonderful ideas, sensible advice and generous encouragement and I love all of you--enthusiastic beginners, affable veterans, unique individuals of every sort, and especially the kind and wise women of a certain age who have given me the idea that if they can do this then maybe I can too. Please continue your patient and much-needed ministry.

Here is my ONE QUESTION (and I hope it's not too silly): I enjoy playing piano and organ. The time on Camino will be my longest time in decades away from my piano, and I think I will miss it. Since I have decided against packing it, am I likely to come across any accessible instruments along the Way? In the corner of an albergue perhaps? If it is a possibility, I could load some music onto my iPad (which Maurice has volunteered to carry for me). Thanks for any insights.

Please say hi if you're walking and you see us. We have Maryland state flag and Camino Forum patches on our backpacks. Maurice sewed his on himself. He did it his own improper way, and without blood, and his patches look better than mine.

I intend to walk the Camino next May and June. Since I will not carry my bass trombone with me, and I cannot go six weeks without practicing (forcing me to return home completely out of playing shape), I will bring my mouthpiece and "buzz" along the route! I wonder how many other brass players have done this in the past.

You guys are going to have a wonderful trip, I hope someone walking the Portuguese route near me shares their musical talent too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino, I share the same mixture of excitement and nerves for my up and coming Camino. You will as they say 'have a ball' I'm sure.
Re the music thing, like most people I can place songs to years when they have been the tune that relate to a holiday/vacation whether it be beach,ski or road trip. I wonder if there has been a song that folk associate with their Camino experience having heard it along 'The Way' at various locations.

Play whenever and wherever you can! I carried my ukulele with me the entire way and found that people really appreciated hearing music. It didn't matter whether they just listened or sang along. I started out thinking I was playing for my enjoyment, but then realized the music became part of their camino experience, not just my own.

So play on and Buen Camino!

Thank you, dear forum members, for reading and replying. I appreciate every response.

@mspath
PilgrimDance,

You must be very excited as you plan your camino with Maurice!
Stay safe and, in the truest sense,
Ultreia!

By the way in Granon the
Albergue Parochial San Juan Bautista has a piano amongst its many features!

This albergue, in the tower of the church of San Juan Bautista, is VERY special in so many ways.
Open all day its sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make this your home”.
The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable furnishing.
Above on a continuous platform are mats for pilgrims' sleeping bags.
Kitchen and toilets are new and well equipped. One can really relax.
Everything is done to make each pilgrim feel at home. Hospitaleros are
always warm and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant.
This is authentic caritas. Long may it last. Each time upon entering I wanted to stay forever!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you for your welcoming greeting. You are always encouraging to everyone who writes in. I hope our journey matches up with a night at the magical Granon albergue.

@JohnnieWalker
Hola - there are certainly playable church organs on the Camino Frances although most places don't have instruments. Just ask the priest if you have enough Spanish - I've never been refused. Puente la Reina And Carrion de los Condes come to mind as open hearted to musicians but there are others. Pianos are a rarer commodity - but never say never, I once went into a roadside café for breakfast on the 88 Temple Route on the Japanese island of Shikoku. I went to the toilet and glanced through a door ajar into the owners living room and lo and behold there was a full size brand new Yamaha piano. It may have been 7am but I was invited to play while they made my breakfast!

Email me when you are approaching Santiago! I'm usually on the bench on Saturdays at 12 noon and 12 and 1pm on Sundays in the church of San Agustín in the centre.

Buen Camino

John

If I see an organ, just ask the priest--an excellent idea.

I like your Shikoku piano story. This spring we were having a cooking lesson at Let's Cook Umbria in Perugia. Our talkative and ebullient instructor set everyone to tasks then shouted, "Music! Let's have music! Who plays the piano?" No one volunteered except my husband, who pointed to me. "You play?" she called out. "Right over there!" In the corner was a beater piano attached to the walls with cobwebs. Before we left home, by happenstance or divine instruction, I had bought an app to load music onto my ipad and with great difficulty put three pieces of music on it. I also actually had the ipad with me. So while the crostada baked and the garlic sizzled with juniper berries and piles of pasta were cranked out by hand, I banged my way through "Lord, I Need You" while class members videoed the whole scene. So you're right--you never know when a piano might be set before you.

I will email when we are nearing Santiago. Looking forward to meeting you!

@GreatDane
There's a piano in the cafe part of Albergue Amanecer, the albergue in Villamentero de Campos, with the tipi's, A-Frames, hammocks and donkeys (if you can get past the pot smoke).

Hmmm...will I see it through the clutter and the haze?

@SYates
Wise of you not taking the piano ;-) There are a few guitars and very few pianos around in some albergue. Some pilgrims also take an ukulele or other light-weight instrument. If you take the iPad I would suggest you make a file with all those songs that everybody knows but never remembers the lyrics of ;-) You will get easily a group of wanna bee singers together that way.
Organs are also not too frequent, especially in smaller towns/villages as they don't survive to easily the harsh difference between summer/winter temperatures.

Buen Camino, SY

A file with lyrics is also an excellent idea. But with people from so many places and age groups, what would be the songs that everybody knows? Open to suggestions!

@spursfan
This will give you a feel for what's possible
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0708947956/?tag=casaivar-21
Music bringing strangers together on the Camino

Looking forward to getting a copy!

@Viranani
Wonderful~A very buen Camino to you @PilgrimDance!
May there be a song in your heart...no matter what the body's doing. Take it slowly, listen to your legs and you should be fine.

Thank you! I always appreciate your encouragement to pilgrims.

@PDO
Buen Camino!! My husband and I fly on Sept 7 to spend a couple days in Sevilla for sightseeing, then will bus to Merida where we begin the Via de la Plata on Sept 11. We also just finished sewing our patches on. we also are from Maryland, (Westminster) so I love your idea of a Maryland patch. If I see your Maryland patch in Santiago, I will stop and say hola! all the best!

Wow, we're practically neighbors! I hope we can meet you and hear about your adventures on the La Plata. Buen Camino!

@Barry Ehrlich
I intend to walk the Camino next May and June. Since I will not carry my bass trombone with me, and I cannot go six weeks without practicing (forcing me to return home completely out of playing shape), I will bring my mouthpiece and "buzz" along the route! I wonder how many other brass players have done this in the past.

Great idea! Maybe someone could play along on kazoo.

@Mike Savage
You guys are going to have a wonderful trip, I hope someone walking the Portuguese route near me shares their musical talent too.

Thank you, and may you have music too! By the way, we were in Utah last month hiking at Cedar Breaks. Good camino practice, except for the lack of air at 10,000 feet....

@Scarlet Fez
Buen Camino, I share the same mixture of excitement and nerves for my up and coming Camino. You will as they say 'have a ball' I'm sure.
Re the music thing, like most people I can place songs to years when they have been the tune that relate to a holiday/vacation whether it be beach,ski or road trip. I wonder if there has been a song that folk associate with their Camino experience having heard it along 'The Way' at various locations.

Thank you and buen Camino to you too!

That's a good question about Camino-associated songs. Maybe veterans could fill us in on what music says "Camino" to them.

@John O'Connell
Buen Camino, I'm a day behind you but I'll watch out for the Maryland State flag just in case. John.

Keep your eyes peeled! My guess is we will be slow. Looking forward to a chat. Buen Camino!

@Seabird
Play whenever and wherever you can! I carried my ukulele with me the entire way and found that people really appreciated hearing music. It didn't matter whether they just listened or sang along. I started out thinking I was playing for my enjoyment, but then realized the music became part of their camino experience, not just my own.

Thank you, Seabird! I remember when you were thinking about packing the ukulele. I'm glad to hear it was a delight to many. I don't know that I will be playing music that people will sing to.

@SYates
A file with lyrics is also an excellent idea. But with people from so many places and age groups, what would be the songs that everybody knows? Open to suggestions!

What a brilliant idea for a forum thread - that one will keep as busy for months at least and be also highly valuable to others! Buen Camino, SY

PS It might be best asking only for title + composer/songwriter/singer as the full lyrics might well be still copyrighted (copyright expires typically 70 years after the death of the copyright holder btw).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am leaving St. Jean on the 9th. I hope we meet up and make some music together. I am a singer. Have a wonderful Camino. I'm getting nervous too!
Shawna

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@SYates
What a brilliant idea for a forum thread - that one will keep as busy for months at least and be also highly valuable to others! Buen Camino, SY

PS It might be best asking only for title + composer/songwriter/singer as the full lyrics might well be still copyrighted (copyright expires typically 70 years after the death of the copyright holder btw).

Yes, fine idea. I will start it shortly.

@Mike Savage
I was surprised how many people knew classic American folk and rock songs in English.

And I would be surprised how many I would know....

@GreatDane
Just don't trip over the donkeys, goats, chickens and theater seating on the way in.

Haha. I might have to give that one a miss.

I am leaving St. Jean on the 9th. I hope we meet up and make some music together. I am a singer. Have a wonderful Camino. I'm getting nervous too!
Shawna

Buen Camino, Shawnasong! You certainly may catch up to us.

I stumbled across guitar or two in various allergies along the way! They were mice to sit with and play from time to time. Another thought, if you are bringing an iPad there are many many many apps that turn it into a small virtual piano. Sure, you're not gonna get 88 keys, but it may be enough to scratch the itch!

I stumbled across guitar or two in various allergies along the way! They were mice to sit with and play from time to time.

Autocorrect can be a ... sometimes, but provides also great fun! Thanks for the smiles and Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am always thrilled when happening across someone on any trail that has a musical instrument. On the Camino what was carried & shared was a guitar, a mandolin, a flute, & in an alburgue a piano. I so appreciate that others play for those of us that don't. Then there are those that can sing like angels. So let me thank all that pack the extra weight & bless us with beautiful song.

I have started another thread with the title "Song and lyrics for singing together on the Camino". Let's see if we can come up with a good list of songs.

I have started another thread with the title "Song and lyrics for singing together on the Camino". Let's see if we can come up with a good list of songs.
Ah, great idea. I will work on it!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back