• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Woman walks alone in October?

wydanielle

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino Frances in October, 2016.
Hola! I know that this kind of question has been asked again and again, but I still want to ask several questions about this. (And many thanks to those who gave useful advices on this topic! They are so helpful that reassure me and let me decide to walk the Camino this year.)

I am a 18-year-old girl and planning to walk the Camino Frances from Leon on October 4th. Since it is less crowded on Camino in October, I wonder will the albergues be almost empty, and will it be difficult for me to find walking partners.

And I will really appreciate that if you could remind me of some danger/difficulty I might encounter as a girl walking solely and give me some advice.

Also, it will be great if I can know people in this forum who are also going to walk in early October this year so that I can make some friends now and reassure my mom that I am actually not going to "walk alone"!

Gracias!:)

-Y

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi - I walked in January one year and half the women I met were walking solo but always found walking partners when they desired and time alone when they didn't. I never saw or heard them have to deal with any unpleasantness or unwanted attention but perhaps the time of year also played into that. I hope you are similarly blessed!
Buen Camino,
Jordon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola! I know that this kind of question has been asked again and again, but I still want to ask several questions about this. (And many thanks to those who gave useful advices on this topic! They are so helpful that reassure me and let me decide to walk the Camino this year.)

I am a 18-year-old girl and planning to walk the Camino Frances from Leon on October 4th. Since it is less crowded on Camino in October, I wonder will the albergues be almost empty, and will it be difficult for me to find walking partners.

And I will really appreciate that if you could remind me of some danger/difficulty I might encounter as a girl walking solely and give me some advice.

Also, it will be great if I can know people in this forum who are also going to walk in early October this year so that I can make some friends now and reassure my mom that I am actually not going to "walk alone"!

-Y

you will be fine, last year and the year before october was busy with enough pilgrims on the Camino so that you never felt 'alone'. that said, there are 'rush hours', so falling into sync with the smaller groups as they leave in the morning or even making (this happens easily) friends/walking companions should not be a problem. when in doubt, stop and wait a bit, a pilgrim or two will come along no doubt.

dangers and difficulties, none that you are not already anticipating. spain is a very open country and women travelling alone are hardly an event. people are friendly and will look out for you, especially other pilgrims. unwanted attention, especially from other pilgrims? it can happen, but probably happens back home too.

have fun and Buen Camino!

I'm starting my camino September 14/15 from St. Jean Peid de Port. According to my guide book I'll be in Leon October 2nd assuming I don't take any rest days up until then (which I very well could).

This will be my first camino so I can't speak from experience, but having done a little research it looks like 27,000 pilgrims arrived in Santiago last October. Do the math and that's roughly 800 per day.

Be aware of your surroundings and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We (I was with my wife) walked after Leon last year, the first week of October. We were hardly alone in the road. On the one hand, there are still plenty of pilgrims -in our first stop after this city, in Villar de Mazarife, we were around 30 persons, and there where other albergues, too. You have to consider that (with the exception of Leon, for some reason) walkers tend to start walking at more or less the same hour, so you will be in a kind of scattered queue.
On the other side, it is not difficult to join a informal group of your liking. Maybe you can try the "Casa de Jesus" albergue in Mazarife; it is quite basic, but very popular with young people (and it is the only albergue I know where you are invited to express your favorite quote or thoughts about life on the walls).
Probably it is not "statistically significative", but we met in a picnic area in this stage a young girl about your age that had been walking mostly alone all the way from Roncesvalles.
Buen camino!

-Y

-Y
I walked the Camino last year in October (2015). I did walk the Camino alone and that was my preference. It is a time of reflection and being one with nature. I even walked in the mornings before daylight with a head lamp (which I don't suggest). You will meet many people on the trail. I never felt afraid being a woman alone on the Camino. You will have a great experience. Enjoy the journey. Bueno Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everybody above so much!!!
I totally set my mind at rest yet will be cautious on the way. I am so excited now! For me this will certainly become an unforgettable experience.
Many thanks again!:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm starting my camino September 14/15 from St. Jean Peid de Port. According to my guide book I'll be in Leon October 2nd assuming I don't take any rest days up until then (which I very well could).

This will be my first camino so I can't speak from experience, but having done a little research it looks like 27,000 pilgrims arrived in Santiago last October. Do the math and that's roughly 800 per day.

Be aware of your surroundings and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Buen camino!

I will arrive in Santiago in last October too. Look forward to meeting you on the way!

Hopefully, you will meet others quickly and have companions in Leon. Look for someone in Leon and introduce yourself.
Many will have walked for a much longer time and already formed groups....but, in my experience, will always welcome another into the family.
But....it is important to start the conversation and let them know you are just starting. Most people are very welcoming.
You may strike out the first time but try again as it will be very rewarding. If you stand off others will think you want to be alone and not include you.

I always start every camino with the intent to walk alone in solitude but always become part of a group.
It is difficult to be alone even when you want to.

If you find yourself starting in the morning without a companion....simply wait for others to leave and follow behind them and keep them in sight. You don't have to actually join them and walk side by side to have the "protection" of a group.
Many times you may want to walk alone but be more comfortable to have others in sight. (try to find someone walking at your pace and not out of your comfort zone)

It all does really just happen and fits together easily for most people.

Ditto to all the above. Yes, Sept/Oct becoming ever so popular time. I did last part Sept and all of Oct. Simply gorgeous weather, but as you well know, no guarantees. What a wonderful age to do the Camino. You will soon discover many new companions along the way, and quite likely on your very first day. Wish you Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@wydanielle
I walked alone in October last year and shall be doing so again this year. If you are nervous at walking alone but still might want some solitary time, consider taking a loud whistle that you can use if you face any danger. A whistle is very light and can be worn around your neck for quick access.

Don't worry. You'll never be alone unless you want to be; there will be lots of folks around. In fact, you'll probably make some new lifelong friends between Leon and Santiago!

Another solo female Pilgrim that walked last October. I walked starting early in the morning and often ending later in the day without problems. I often did find myself alone but within visual distance of someone else often. It was wonderful. Always enough people to talk to if I desired that and always time by myself in the day. There was one morning I didn't feel like walking along in the dark (remember the daylight comes later in October so if you get up early - bring a headlamp) and I just waited until someone else at the albergue was leaving and asked if I could walk with them for a bit. No problems! Buen Camino!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

-Y
I walked sept/oct last year and you will not be alone and no the albergues are never empty. In fact this time is getting even more popular due to cooler temps. You might be looking for some solo time in fact.

-Y
Hello, I am woman and have walked alone on four separate occasions: summer, autumn, and winter, you will be just fine. Nearly all of the albergues will be open. Oh, it is almost impossible, even in winter, to truly walk alone. Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back