• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Not sure if these have already been covered on Forum site.
Has anyone who has walked in April on VDLP found the accommodation is full in some towns?
What are the numbers of pilgrims like for leaving during Easter?
I am walking with family/ friends. There will be 4 or 5 of us. We don't want to arrive somewhere and find everything is full. Will keep a track of taxi numbers just in case.
Also, anyone else thinking of walking at this time next year?
Thanks
Sharon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The VdlP has become more popular in recent years but overcrowding has not become a problem.

I don't think you will have any problems with accomondations.
Do some pre -planning so that your stops are within your walking distance ability.

Thanks Grayland. I guess I became a little worried after I saw that Bar Frances in Guillena was booked out. I thought we may go to Italica on the first day and take our time, so thought having booked accommodation for that night would be good. Have tried Albergue Luz but haven't had a reply to my email yet.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I feel pretty comfortable that you can just turn up and get a bed almost all the time.
You may have to try a couple of places from time to time...but not worth a lot of worry as it all just happens.

Worst case scenario is a taxi to the next place or back.
I have never had to do that in many Caminos.
You may not always get into an albergue....but pensions, hotels, rooms above bars, etc are common.
Not getting into an albergue is not always a bad thing.

I will be biking, leaving Sevilla in late April. Don't worry, I will ring my bell and promise not to collide with others on the trail.
Shall keep an ear listening for your bell. Have a great time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I feel pretty comfortable that you can just turn up and get a bed almost all the time.
You may have to try a couple of places from time to time...but not worth a lot of worry as it all just happens.

Worst case scenario is a taxi to the next place or back.
I have never had to do that in many Caminos.
You may not always get into an albergue....but pensions, hotels, rooms above bars, etc are common.
Not getting into an albergue is not always a bad thing.
You're right. Only once have we had to walk on because all the albergues were full. Ended up staying in a beautiful hotel. We like a mix of accommodation.
Hopefully, won't have to resort to a taxi.

Hola Sharon - I slightly disagree with my friend Grayland. I've been on the Vdlp around Easter time when pilgrim numbers can swell considerably. The stats won't be recorded anywhere because many of these pilgrims dip in and out of the route during Holy Week and Easter. The problem is if you encounter a bubble of pilgrims who take up the beds - I think this was also Peregrina2000's experience when she was on the route. But I think you'll be able to tell quickly how busy it is and I think you are wise to book initially. There has been a great increase in the number of private albergues. There is a very good list of accommodation in the resources section. But you can always bus or taxi ahead or let a group go forward if you wish.

Buen Camino

John

I can only speak for 2013,Sharon. I started then just after Easter and 40 people left Seville that day. I had booked Bar Francis from Hotel Simon just the night before and had double room to myself.
Don't remember there being a problem and would only book the night before. I remember the Albergue in Zafra was full and I stayed in a lovely little hotel off the Plaza,Los Palmos(I think)
Pilgrims thinned out as we went along.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I was in spring this year on the VdlP and around Easter already on the Sanabres. There were a few more pilgrims around Easter week (mainly Spaniards) but everybody found a bed. I wouldn't worry too much. Buen Camino, SY

Hi, Sharon
My Camino Sister and I will be starting from Sevilla about 1 April as well! We are looking forward to experience Easter in a small Spanish town along the way. We have never booked ahead and it has always been fine (CF 9.16.14 to 10.24.14).
Can't wait for it!! Buen Camino!

Hi, Sharon
My Camino Sister and I will be starting from Sevilla about 1 April as well! We are looking forward to experience Easter in a small Spanish town along the way. We have never booked ahead and it has always been fine (CF 9.16.14 to 10.24.14).
Can't wait for it!! Buen Camino!
We will be leaving on 15th April from Sevilla. As this is Easter Saturday, I was concerned about high numbers on VDLP at this time.
Hope you both have a wonderful time. We don't walk fast enough to catch up.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the VDLP in 2015 leaving Seville just as the Feria was starting - about April 20th I believe. There were occasional times when albergues were full but rarely. There was always another option usually involving a little more cash outlay. I was slightly surprised at the numbers of pilgrims because I had been told that there were very few. But I like a bit of company so it was fine with me. I expect there will be more pressure on the VDLP given the numbers on the Camino Frances and the recommendations of organisations like the Confraternity of Saint James to try the VDLP as your first camino rather than the CF.

Sharon I agree with John above. This Camino has the most mysterious sequence of events. Walk almost totally alone all day, only to find dozens of pilgrims in the albergue! We actually only found two towns with full beds, but we heard that both ahead of us and behind us others having trouble with full albergues. This was one of the reasons we continued north at Granja and joined the Frances at Astorga, where there are many more options, and plenty of beds in April/May. I don't want you to worry about it, but if you are able to reserve ahead it might be good.

Thanks Grayland. I guess I became a little worried after I saw that Bar Frances in Guillena was booked out. I thought we may go to Italica on the first day and take our time, so thought having booked accommodation for that night would be good. Have tried Albergue Luz but haven't had a reply to my email yet.

Hi, Sharon, I can't tell from this post, but if you only checked the Bar Frances on booking.com or some other website, you should contact them directly. I learned here on the forum that booking only has access to a few of the establishments' rooms, so when they show that a place is full, it frequently doesn't mean that the entire place is full.

Most of the "Easter rush" that others refer to (and which I have also seen) happens before Easter, not after. Buen camino, I think you'll love the Vdlp.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Sharon, I can't tell from this post, but if you only checked the Bar Frances on booking.com or some other website, you should contact them directly. I learned here on the forum that booking only has access to a few of the establishments' rooms, so when they show that a place is full, it frequently doesn't mean that the entire place is full.

Most of the "Easter rush" that others refer to (and which I have also seen) happens before Easter, not after. Buen camino, I think you'll love the Vdlp.

Hi Laurie,
I firstly looked at Booking.com but then went to their website and both said there was no accommodation available for 15th at Bar Francis. I guess I could email them. I will ring Pilar at Hostal Luz. Have emailed her twice but have had no reply. Hopefully, she can understand my poor Spanish.
Of course, it would be good if there is just the right number of people walking - not too many and not too few! Then I wouldn't worry. However, there are 4 of us and getting a place in the municipal Albergue could be a problem.
Thanks for all the useful information on the stages that you walked.
Sharon

I always find that a phone call works best. Lots of people (I'm guilty) take a while to get around to checking their emails.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back