• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Ferrol in September

Otmoor22

Flying from UK to Santiago de Compestala on morning of September 12th and then by bus to Ferrol. Only decision now is whether to stay at Ferrol overnight or to start walking on arrival. If latter do I aim for first night at Neda or push on to Pontedeume?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You might find that 15k is sufficient distance in what will be a best half-a-days walking time rather than trying to bang out the 30k to Pontedueme. The Neda albergue is very pleasant and there are bars etc nearby in Naron.

Or you might consider the 'shortcut' via the N651 road-bridge - only recommended if you positively enjoy the roar of the traffic and inhaling diesel fumes ;) Reduces the distance to Pontedueme to around 19k and misses out on 10k of pleasure.

Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you decide to stay in Ferrol, I can recommend Hotel Almendra. I stayed here last September.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Flying from UK to Santiago de Compestala on morning of September 12th and then by bus to Ferrol. Only decision now is whether to stay at Ferrol overnight or to start walking on arrival. If latter do I aim for first night at Neda or push on to Pontedeume?
Hola, Otmoor22,

Technically the Albergue Peregrinos de Neda is in Xubia, just over the old bridge and to the right along the river (it's a detour because of some construction works around the bed of the river). Next day you will have to walk another 1,5km to Neda. But there is one smaller Coviran market close to albergue and further down the main street bigger Dia supermercado (opened non-stop) in Xubia. The distance from starting mojon in old Ferrol harbour to the albergue (de Neda) is 15,6km.

Ultreia!

We stayed at the Hotel Almendra too. In the afternoon we walked, via the plaza and tourist office, through town to the harbour and then back up following the Camino signs to the first big roundabout with a musical sculpture, turned back up into town and the hotel. A town map is useful for this and we also had our sello from the cafe at the harbour. The tourist office might be happy to put their sello in the 2nd space for you. Then next day we had a sello from the Almendra and walked through the plaza to the roundabout and picked up the Camino. Then walked to Neda/Naron. Others are happy walking further.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I'm also flying out on 12 September ex Gatwick and on to Ferrol by bus. I've booked the night in Ferrol and will start walking on Tuesday. May well see you; old, bald, beard, bad knees, good appetite.

Ultreïa

Hola, Otmoor22,

Technically the Albergue Peregrinos de Neda is in Xubia, just over the old bridge and to the right along the river (it's a detour because of some construction works around the bed of the river). Next day you will have to walk another 1,5km to Neda. But there is one smaller Coviran market close to albergue and further down the main street bigger Dia supermercado (opened non-stop) in Xubia. The distance from starting mojon in old Ferrol harbour to the albergue (de Neda) is 15,6km.

Ultreia!
Thank you for this update

I'm also flying out on 12 September ex Gatwick and on to Ferrol by bus. I've booked the night in Ferrol and will start walking on Tuesday. May well see you; old, bald, beard, bad knees, good appetite.

Ultreïa
We will be like two peas in a pod - except I do not have beard!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We stayed at the Hotel Almendra too. In the afternoon we walked, via the plaza and tourist office, through town to the harbour and then back up following the Camino signs to the first big roundabout with a musical sculpture, turned back up into town and the hotel. A town map is useful for this and we also had our sello from the cafe at the harbour. The tourist office might be happy to put their sello in the 2nd space for you. Then next day we had a sello from the Almendra and walked through the plaza to the roundabout and picked up the Camino. Then walked to Neda/Naron. Others are happy walking further.
Thank you for this helpful information

Hola

I'll be flying into Santiago on 26 September & plan to catch a bus to Ferrol on 27th for the Camino Ingles. Is anyone else planning to begin their walk around the same time?

Thanks

hi @Otmoor22 . If you are ready to walk ~13km upon arrival, you can start walking up to Neda. Although Ferrol is a nice little town to wander around. The Neda albergue is nice place to stay.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Neda albergue

Attachments

• IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Ultreïa
I will be on Easyjet flight from Gatwick leaving just after 6am, then on to Ferrol by bus. Have now booked hotel at Ferrol to start walking on 13th.
Nigel

Hi Otmoor22,
from your moniker, I surmise that you live in Oxfordshire. I live and work in Headington. Did the Ingles at this time last year. We could meet up if you want to chat.
BTW, I am glad you are staying the night at Ferrol. It quite historical. Apparently, it was from here that the Spanish Armada sailed to try to invade Elizabeth I's England.
Edmund

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Otmoor22,
from your moniker, I surmise that you live in Oxfordshire. I live and work in Headington. Did the Ingles at this time last year. We could meet up if you want to chat.
BTW, I am glad you are staying the night at Ferrol. It quite historical. Apparently, it was from here that the Spanish Armada sailed to try to invade Elizabeth I's England.
Edmund
Edmund
I am indeed an Otmoor man - would be pleased to meet up with you.
Nigel
otmoorgosling301@gmail.com

If you are staying in Ferrol, I recommend Hotel Silva.
Nice place. Nice staff. Good rates.

Not that far from center of city.

Passport is sold at the Hotel.

Personally, I would stay one night in Ferrol. Get early start. I love Neda. Good cafe up the hill from the A'berg.
Woman who runs the place has good sense of humor.

I would not take the short cut.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You might find that 15k is sufficient distance in what will be a best half-a-days walking time rather than trying to bang out the 30k to Pontedueme. The Neda albergue is very pleasant and there are bars etc nearby in Naron.

Or you might consider the 'shortcut' via the N651 road-bridge - only recommended if you positively enjoy the roar of the traffic and inhaling diesel fumes ;) Reduces the distance to Pontedueme to around 19k and misses out on 10k of pleasure.

Buen camino
We are starting on 9 Sept and had wondered about the shortcut. But does this impact the requirement to walk 100km for a compostela? Or is it enough to have started from Ferrol and have 2 sellos per day?

I understand (but happy to be corrected) that it still qualifies for more than 100 km. If you walk from Ferrol to Pontedeume in one day and get stamps in both then there is no way of telling which route you came anyway.

Starting 10th sept from ferrol Deni Dawgs *waves* and I am PLANNING to go the short cut although it feels a bit roadrunner - it's due to time constraints:(
As I understand we should be ok for the Compostela:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi guys,

Any of you see an overweight solo red-faced fella on the trail, I'm probably a day or two behind schedule, but give me a wave nonetheless!

I fly out next Tuesday, and start the walk from Ferrol next Wednesday morning 7 September, and I'm also planning of taking the more recent short cut following the railway bridge.

All the best folks, and a hearty buen camino.

Maybe its weird, but I'm kind of glad its not just me on the camino ingles at this time of year, I was a little anxious that maybe the world might decide not to let me have a hope along the route. Vanity is not my thing, but I'd love to hit plenty of meals along the way, grabbing at least 2 sellos per day. From your posts, sounds like you may be an experienced caminate?

Maybe its weird, but I'm kind of glad its not just me on the camino ingles at this time of year, I was a little anxious that maybe the world might decide not to let me have a hope along the route. Vanity is not my thing, but I'd love to hit plenty of meals along the way, grabbing at least 2 sellos per day. From your posts, sounds like you may be an experienced caminate?
I think it will be busy, so full albergues at some spots may be a problem. A taxi off the camino may be necessary. Yes, I have walked caminos before! This one might be very leisurely. ;)

Come on - if I get to Bruma at the end of the longest stage and there's no bed for me, I suspect that I may well cry! Leisurely is part of my plan too, heading off down towards Finisterre after Santiago I'm hoping to ease off the gas and enjoy some relaxed days with shorter distances.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you are concerned about Bruma then contact O Meson Novo at Meson do Vento and see if you can book a bed. (They may already be fully booked) For customers staying the night, they will collect you if necessary and return you next morning to the pick up point. Particularly helpful if you want to take 2 days between Betanzos and Bruma, stopping day 1 at Casa Julia and starting there next day. We booked 2 nights with Don Antonio and family walking back via Bruma to Meson do Vento from Casa Julia.

(Caught in the upgrade so adding this rather than editing extra into the post #34 above)
Be aware that if booking at O Meson Novo through booking.com that there is a cancellation/alteration charge. Probably because they are tired of excessive changes/no shows etc which have occurred in the past.

We are starting on 9 Sept and had wondered about the shortcut. But does this impact the requirement to walk 100km for a compostela? Or is it enough to have started from Ferrol and have 2 sellos per day?
The Pilgrims Office in Santiago accepts Neda as a starting point to qualify for the Compostela. However it may be more convenient to get a first sello in Ferrol. The alternative route leads direct to Neda station.

Buen Camino

Hola peregrinos,

I'll be starting from Ferrol on Tuesday.
Might see some of you on the trail.
Buen Camino!
Liz from Oz

Good luck, tell them I'm on my way! :) Been having a scout over the weather forecasts, looks like it might be quite decent, but not too hot I think.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Otmoor22,
Edmund
EGW, Brian Galbraith here. You kindly wrote to me following my post about doing Camino in May. I read your post but folishly didn't make a note of your email address and now can't find your message. My email is brianjgalbtaith@yahoo.co.uk. I would be most interested in talking to you and desperately need advice. I spent 25 years in the Chipping Norton and still visit there a lot

EGW, Brian Galbraith here. You kindly wrote to me following my post about doing Camino in May. I read your post but folishly didn't make a note of your email address and now can't find your message. My email is brianjgalbtaith@yahoo.co.uk. I would be most interested in talking to you and desperately need advice. I spent 25 years in the Chipping Norton and still visit there a lot
@EGW - See above request

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back