• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Genève to StJean Pied de Port via the Le Puy Route

Time of past OR future Camino
Jakobsweg Rolle - Geneva - the French border (2015)
Jakobsweg & Chemin de St Jacques - Geneva to St Jean Pied de Port (2016)
Camino del Norte - St Jean Pied de Port - Irun - Santiago de Compostela (2017)
I am an Australian who will be walking solo from Genève to St Jean PdP via the Le Puy route in October - November 2016. Does anyone have current information about accomodation and the conditions along the route. Any recommendations for guidebooks?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does anyone have current information about accomodation and the conditions along the route. Any recommendations for guidebooks?
The Amis have an accommodation guide in French here: http://chemins.amis-st-jacques.org/?page_id=6 (the yellow guide covers the main route from Geneva to Le Puy, called the Via Gebenensis).

There is a German-language guide "Frankreich: Jakobsweg Via Gebennensis von Genf nach Le Puy-en-Velay" available from amazon.de. The elevation profiles and section overview maps are quite useful.

This section is my next one, so I've been doing some research to plan the trip. It's about four weeks (at my pace), with the vicinity of Lyon being half-way.

Based on a couple of discussions with other hikers and reports on this forum, there is very little hiker traffic in the section between Geneva and Le Puy. I would sort through the many posts in the Le Puy section of this forum and you can find some threads about this section. (Just type in "Geneva" in the "Search" bubble on the top right of the Le Puy forum and limit the search to the Le Puy part of the forum.)

Le Puy onward is popular. For a guidebook most use the French language Miam Miam Dodo GR65 guide. Despite being in French, it is fairly straightforward to use by a non-French speaker. You can buy it in Le Puy at the tourist office or online from Amazon. I'll post the link below.

You will have to telephone ahead and make reservations for your lodging and meals at the time you'll be walking. I say this because when my wife and I walked a portion of the Le Puy route in late September and into October we found that some gîtes and even one hotel had closed at the beginning of October.

Bon chemin!

Tom

https://www.amazon.com/dp/2916446494/?tag=casaivar02-20

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did that stretch in 2014. I met only a few other pilgrims, until you come close to Le Puy, there isn't really much pilgrims traffic on the road ;-) There is enough accommodation, but food shops are another matter, so make sure you read your guide thoroughly and plan your stages with shop opening times in mind ;-) Bon Chemin, SY

For Geneva to Le Puy, the yellow guide referred to by Kitsambler is essential. The accommodations are almost all rooms in private homes with meals provided. Sometimes you eat with the family. You need to call the day before, so they can get provisions, so you can see if they will be home, etc. For Le Puy on, Miam Miam Dodo.

The Amis have an accommodation guide in French here: http://chemins.amis-st-jacques.org/?page_id=6 (the yellow guide covers the main route from Geneva to Le Puy, called the Via Gebenensis).

There is a German-language guide "Frankreich: Jakobsweg Via Gebennensis von Genf nach Le Puy-en-Velay" available from amazon.de. The elevation profiles and section overview maps are quite useful.

This section is my next one, so I've been doing some research to plan the trip. It's about four weeks (at my pace), with the vicinity of Lyon being half-way.
Thanks Kitsambler - I know about the Amis yellow guide but I've had trouble ordering it to be sent to Australia. However I've decided to just ask for it to be sent to my sister in Genève.
My German is very rusty (haven't used it since I lived there in 1984) but the Frankreich: Jakobsweg guide sounds good too - I'll check it out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For Geneva to Le Puy, the yellow guide referred to by Kitsambler is essential. The accommodations are almost all rooms in private homes with meals provided. Sometimes you eat with the family. You need to call the day before, so they can get provisions, so you can see if they will be home, etc. For Le Puy on, Miam Miam Dodo.
Thanks backpack45scb. I'm not sure I'll be an easy fit for meals in private homes - I have Coeliac disease which means absolutely sans gluten. But I'll figure something out.
I'll definitely pick up a copy of Miam Miam Dodo in Le Puy.

I did that stretch in 2014. I met only a few other pilgrims, until you come close to Le Puy, there isn't really much pilgrims traffic on the road ;-) There is enough accommodation, but food shops are another matter, so make sure you read your guide thoroughly and plan your stages with shop opening times in mind ;-) Bon Chemin, SY
Thanks SY. I have found a handy English language guide by the Cicerone group "The way of St James - France: Le Puy to the Pyrenees". The route notes and history etc. are great, however it's from 2010 so I'm not confident the phone numbers etc. are current.

Based on a couple of discussions with other hikers and reports on this forum, there is very little hiker traffic in the section between Geneva and Le Puy. I would sort through the many posts in the Le Puy section of this forum and you can find some threads about this section. (Just type in "Geneva" in the "Search" bubble on the top right of the Le Puy forum and limit the search to the Le Puy part of the forum.)

Le Puy onward is popular. For a guidebook most use the French language Miam Miam Dodo GR65 guide. Despite being in French, it is fairly straightforward to use by a non-French speaker. You can buy it in Le Puy at the tourist office or online from Amazon. I'll post the link below.

You will have to telephone ahead and make reservations for your lodging and meals at the time you'll be walking. I say this because when my wife and I walked a portion of the Le Puy route in late September and into October we found that some gîtes and even one hotel had closed at the beginning of October.

Bon chemin!

Tom

https://www.amazon.com/dp/2916446494/?tag=casaivar02-20
Brilliant thanks Tom. I'm comfortable that I'll see few other hikers between Genève and Le Puy - I need some alone time :). I do however want to ensure I have a roof over my head and something to eat each evening because I'm not bringing my tent over and the idea of me sleeping unfed under the hedgerows will worry my offspring! I do have a few ideas for potential overnight locations but obviously that will depend on what is open/available.

My spoken French is rubbish due to too many years lack of use, but I can read, write and understand more than enough to use the Miam Miam Dodo.

Thanks again, Kate

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have Coeliac disease which means absolutely sans gluten. But I'll figure something out.
You might email the Amis on their website, and ask how this need might impact your ability to find private-home lodging. At a minimum, you would want the French for your needs, and a couple days' advance contact with the prospective host. If your written French is best, then email a couple weeks in advance might be the ticket. You can follow up with a confirmation phone call the day before. This leaves less possibility for mis-communication (in my humble opinion).

Great idea. Thanks Kitsambler, I'll get in touch with the Amis.
I do speak French but I'm not confident doing so... But I am practicing every day and will have the phrasing for my dietary needs well rehearsed before I arrive in Europe next month.

I'd highly suggest getting the standard books/guides:
-Miam Miam Dodo 2016 (for accommodations along the way)
-Michelin Guide (a small packet with the daily suggested routes and elevation)
-This forum!

You can get both those guidebooks online in advance, or in most pilgrim stores/ tourism offices along the way. Or you can ask to borrow them from your fellow pilgrims. Take photos with your phone!

I put together a few tips and guidelines for the Le Puy Camino, including special resources for English speakers (I walked it this year and plan to do it again soon): solocamino.com

Bon chemin!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd highly suggest getting the standard books/guides:
-Miam Miam Dodo 2016 (for accommodations along the way)
-Michelin Guide (a small packet with the daily suggested routes and elevation)
-This forum!

You can get both those guidebooks online in advance, or in most pilgrim stores/ tourism offices along the way. Or you can ask to borrow them from your fellow pilgrims. Take photos with your phone!

I put together a few tips and guidelines for the Le Puy Camino, including special resources for English speakers (I walked it this year and plan to do it again soon): solocamino.com
Thanks ChloeRose, I have ordered a copy of Miam Miam Dodo, but you're the first to mention the Michelin Guide.
Love you guide, it's the only one I've seen that is right up to date and written by an English speaking female solo walker.
Thanks again.

Thank you! :) I was very surprised by the lack of English information out there when I first started researching my trip. You'll see many solo walkers along the Camino, and many women, it's the perfect trip to do alone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am an Australian who will be walking solo from Genève to St Jean PdP via the Le Puy route in October - November 2016. Does anyone have current information about accomodation and the conditions along the route. Any recommendations for guidebooks?
Am a late reply to your question, 2 of us from Sydney did this lovely walk in May/June this year over 20days. Its a very untravelled way, beautiful walking & scenery. Also very well marked. I used the yellow guide that has been mentioned, have very basic French & managed to get by. We stayed mainly in the Accuiel Jacquaires, the hosts were terrific & so welcoming. We booked the day before till nearing Le Puy, where it suddenly was a bit busier, so we would book 2 days ahead.There are also small gites & hotels in some towns/villages. My only advice is to be organised with your lunch/snacks, there are few shops in the villages, & those that you do find were often closed! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back