• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trouble with train booking from Madrid to Pamplona. Is the bus better?

Tosch

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hi everyone

I'm a newbie and so grateful for this forum. So I implore the wisdom of your collective experience and humour in helping me to get started!
I've only just decided to change my Camino plans and begin in Roncesvalles. I arrive from Australia on Sep 5th and plan to catch a train to Pamplona on Sep 6th then bus to Roncesvalles. My trouble has been is that I've gone onto the Renfe website to book but it says that the trains were not available as yet (for booking I imagine?...). I really don't want to call them but will if I have to. So my question is should I wait ( try booking tomorrow?), ditch the train, or is catching a bus better?
I would like to start walking on Sep 7th.

Any advice?
All insights, and fabulous tips most appreciated.
Thank you all.

Lisa

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi everyone

I'm a newbie and so grateful for this forum. So I implore the wisdom of your collective experience and humour in helping me to get started!
I've only just decided to change my Camino plans and begin in Roncesvalles. I arrive from Australia on Sep 5th and plan to catch a train to Pamplona on Sep 6th then bus to Roncesvalles. My trouble has been is that I've gone onto the Renfe website to book but it says that the trains were not available as yet (for booking I imagine?...). I really don't want to call them but will if I have to. So my question is should I wait ( try booking tomorrow?), ditch the train, or is catching a bus better?

Any advice?
Thank you all.

Lisa

The Renfe website indicates there are several trains available for 6th September. Use Madred(Todas) as origin. Note the train from the airport is Renfe Cercanias commuter train and not the train to Pamplona.

You might want to try buying in Australia at a Renfe International Sales Point as per:
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/viajes_internacionales/puntosventa_internacional.html

Train is definitely faster and more comfortable than the bus.

The advantage to booking early is that the price is usually cheaper and you get a choice of seats. As was suggested overnight in Madrid - there are (from memory) two trains from Atocha to Pamplona - the morning one departs around 10.00-10.30 and as you are travelling on Tuesday (6th Sep) it should not be booked out. I think the train arrives in Pamplona around 2.00 pm so you should be able to get the bus. You will probably find a few fellow pilgrims who will also be getting the bus or share a taxi. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, one time we simply took the train/metro from the airport to the Atocha train station and bought our tickets to Pamplona. Easy peasy.

On our second Camino, we bought our tickets online and printed them out at home. We found that purchasing the train ticket from the Atocha station to Pamplona online included the train/metro section from the airport to the Atocha station. You have to stop at the Renfe automatic ticket machine in the airport (after you have exited the secure zone) on your way to the airports' train/metro station and enter a code from your purchase. The machine then prints off your ticket from the airport to the Atocha station. The Renfe folks at the airport were very helpful and friendly to us lost, confused and sleep deprived pilgrims.

On our third Camino, we did not buy online (this time from Lisbon to Porto) since we could not print the tickets (they had to mail them and there was not enough time), so we decided to simply purchase once we got to the train station. We were not able to get the train we wanted, it was sold out, and it cost us three hours of time (combination of later departure and slower train) we lost to walk from the Cathedral in Porto to Matosinhos.

Having taken the bus from Santiago to Porto after our Portuguese Camino, take the train. Faster and generally more comfortable, you can walk around, get something to eat or drink, etc.

Have you considered taking the bus? It leaves from the airport. Easy peasy. And you can book your ticket online.

Hi everyone

Any advice?
Thank you all.

Lisa

The earlier you book on the trains and buses in Spain the cheaper the ticket is, as a rule.
There is an Alsa bus that leaves from Madrid Airport to Pamplona. Download the Alsa App. it is great. The bus to Roncesvalles is the same price ( expensive) whether you buy it now or on the day. Good Luck... Buen Camino Lisa

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for that. Makes me feel better.
The advantage to booking early is that the price is usually cheaper and you get a choice of seats. As was suggested overnight in Madrid - there are (from memory) two trains from Atocha to Pamplona - the morning one departs around 10.00-10.30 and as you are travelling on Tuesday (6th Sep) it should not be booked out. I think the train arrives in Pamplona around 2.00 pm so you should be able to get the bus. You will probably find a few fellow pilgrims who will also be getting the bus or share a taxi. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all your swift replies. I'm so touched by everyone's help. And yes, I didn't realise there would be more responses. I have tried to book direct online with Renfe but my payment wouldn't go through yesterday. However, shall persist.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back