• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The mess that is my first camino

Pathfinder075

Time of past OR future Camino
Various Routes in (2016), (2017) and (2023).
It started with lots of plans to walk this and walk that, and do a full camino, and now I finally reach a point where I will be committing to it, albeit a much smaller cut down version.

So my history and issues are scatted throughout threads on this forum. I found a job I enjoyed doing, then we had the brexit mess which has caused the exchange rates to plummet. So ive decided I would like to keep my job if I can. The original plan was to terminate my contract and go walkabout for 5 weeks, but then I discovered I actually enjoy working at this new place. So now I am trying to negotiate a two week window at the start of October, but if it falls through, I will stay a third week. So either way i've booked a ferry from Plymouth on the 2nd October. I havent decided on length of stay yet, and until ive discussed things with work cant.

I have family who will be in Spain at the time I will be over, and have managed to arrange a lift to somewhere near Ourense, and will (after sampling the hot springs) be walking the last 100km into Santiago.

Thats what I know for now. Actual dates once im in the country, I have no clue of, and will probably make it up as I go along. :)

I dont have most of my kit, but have also considered just using hotels, since my intention is to walk it in no more than 5 days, so I have time after that to sight see and be a tourist.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think the best way of looking at it might be "The rules are there are no rules"...Enjoy the way whatever way is yours!

And relax ! The Euro approaching parity with the Pound is financially distressing , but it sounds like you've got a great start planned in Ourense and then the Camino will guide you to SdC. So, it's not a mess, it's a plan ! Have a great time, wish I was doing the same .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ourense to Santiago is a lovely walk.
Enjoy!

Oh I intend to enjoy it. That part is the easy bit. Walking I can do without much issue. The mess refers to the getting there bit, the logistics side of things. I have a rucksack, sleeping bag, tent, inflatable mat and will have a good pair of shoes sometime in the next week. Everything else is small as long as you have the basics.

One of the prep things that I will be doing is summitting Snowdon in a couple of weekends (Up the Rhyd Ddu and down the Ranger Path, missing out Crib Goch this time). I've also done a handful of 15-20 mile walks to get me to the point where I can walk a fair bit without issue. Would any of you recommend poles for a 5 day excursion? Up until now ive been hiking without them, without any issue.

I am looking forward to it. Also exploring the Spanish countryside as I walk through it. Still have no clue what the actual route is, but gronze has provided me the rough waypoints (Cea, A Laxe, Outeiro, Santiago) but their are two 33km stages on it, and I am only planning on walking about 20km a day, so I guess I need to revise it a bit. If anyone has any ideas on that, Im all ears. I am specifically looking for places I can pitch a tent, albergues, hostels, etc.

Oh I intend to enjoy it. That part is the easy bit. Walking I can do without much issue. The mess refers to the getting there bit, the logistics side of things. I have a rucksack, sleeping bag, tent, inflatable mat and will have a good pair of shoes sometime in the next week. Everything else is small as long as you have the basics.

One of the prep things that I will be doing is summitting Snowdon in a couple of weekends (Up the Rhyd Ddu and down the Ranger Path, missing out Crib Goch this time). I've also done a handful of 15-20 mile walks to get me to the point where I can walk a fair bit without issue. Would any of you recommend poles for a 5 day excursion? Up until now ive been hiking without them, without any issue.

I am looking forward to it. Also exploring the Spanish countryside as I walk through it. Still have no clue what the actual route is, but gronze has provided me the rough waypoints (Cea, A Laxe, Outeiro, Santiago) but their are two 33km stages on it, and I am only planning on walking about 20km a day, so I guess I need to revise it a bit. If anyone has any ideas on that, Im all ears. I am specifically looking for places I can pitch a tent, albergues, hostels, etc.

Hi I just finished this walk in June...I didnt take a sleeping bag so stayed in hotels. I think I should have taken a sleeping bag. It was wet wet wet.
Day 0 hotel in Ourense prebooked
Day1 Cea casa Manosa prebooked -its in the town that was a 23 km walk
Day2 Lalin ...I phoned from Estacion de lalin and they picked me up and they will drop you back/ I believe there is accomodation at Estacion de lalin ....which would have been better... but not able to prebook on internet and really wasnt sure. There are references to this place on this forum
Day3 Silleda pre booked Hotel Ramos
Day4 Casa Pazo Galagos near Outiero pre booked.....as this was a bit off track (ie extra km) I could have stayed at Puente Ulla in an Albergue maybe
Day 5 to Santiago approx 17km

The albergues along the way were not full...so these are an option if you have a sleeping bag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At least doing a Camino is a cheap way to live for w while!

The £ was trading at around 1.15 - 1.20 to the Euro for a very long time, so it's not too far off the norm.

Have you considered doing the 39-mile 'Peak Pilgrimage' in Derbyshire (from Ilam to Eyam) as part of your preparations? It mimics characteristics of the Spanish caminos, ie., you obtain a pilgrim passport + collect stamps at churches along the way. A momento is given to anyone who collects the full set of stamps. I will be joining eight fellow Camino enthusiasts to complete the route over three days/4 nights starting this weekend. We will stay in Youth Hostels and pubs each evening.
You can google it for more information.

Buen Camino,
James

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back