• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trevorcc on the Levante

trevorcc

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPD to Santiago 2013,2014, Camino de Levante Sept. 2016, Frances March 2018, planning 2020
I walked the Camino de Levante in May of this year. I would walk it again in a heartbeat.

Guidebook: The Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago in Valencia has published a (heavy) but excellent guide. I would say it is essential, because even though the waymarking is terrific, the guide has great maps and excellent details and info on what’s in each city/town/village you are walking through. Guide is available in either Spanish or English. Contact the association via email at info@vieiragrino.com for information on how to obtain the book (either in person in Valencia or via mail, but be aware that they require a bank transfer).

I kept a blog, http://www.levante2013.blogspot.com and I relied heavily on Andy’s blog, http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-levante/ and of course this forum was a real source of support and help.

General comments:
The waymarking is excellent, except for in some of the small towns. I frequently needed help to find the Camino after entering a town. In this respect, also, the guidebook is essential, because of its detailed instructions. Since you will frequently not be able to find people who are familiar with the Camino, the fact that the guidebook always says things like “walk past the museum of ethnography” means you can just ask for directions to the places the guidebook mentions, since everyone in town will know where the museum is.

There is a surprising number of albergues, many very small, but usually in very good condition and well maintained. Where there were no albergues, I stayed in small pensiones and hoteles, almost always for less than 25 euros.

This is a camino of wide open spaces. Until you hit Zamora, you spend most of your time on flat or undulating land dedicated to one sort of agricultural operation or another. It is castle country.

The Levante has some real treats; in fact, one of the things that makes this Camino stand out is the number of very interesting, sometimes stunning cities and towns. Valencia, Toledo, Avila and Zamora are all well worth a sustained visit. And the small towns of Xátiva, Almansa, Chinchilla, Arevalo, Medina del Campo, Tembleque, San Clemente, Toro, and El Toboso are all places where you can easily fill an afternoon.

The numbers are steadily increasing, at a very high rate, but the total remains small. Many people along the way told us that between last year and this year the increase is quite noticeable. Last year, there’d be a pilgrim or two a week; this year, hardly a day goes by without at least one. I assume that the season is fairly short, April-July, though I often heard that there is always a bunch of hardy summer pilgrims who brave the heat.

Wi-fi is available in nearly every little bar in every little town. I was stunned, actually. Because of my mom’s health, I had been debating whether to cancel my Camino this year. Instead, I bought an iphone the day before leaving in the hope that I would be able to Skype with my parents from the Camino. This eased a huge worry for me, and I was able to talk to them (and usually see them!) almost every day.

Rather than put my lengthy comments into the text of a post, I have typed them up and attach them here. I welcome comments, corrections, and suggestions from anyone who has walked, and would be very delighted to answer questions.

Buen camino, Laurie
Well it's nearly here as the song goes my final countdown, fly out next week for another pilgrimage and a chance for quiet reflection and a chance to meet some wonderful people, thanks all those that have provided me with advice and help I will add to the Levante forum as I go. THANKS again .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, Trevor, can't wait to hear how it goes and what you think! Wishing you a really great Levante. And if you stay in Pension Paris, please send my regards to Vanessa, tell her we on the forum love her place!

Well it's nearly here as the song goes my final countdown, fly out next week for another pilgrimage and a chance for quiet reflection and a chance to meet some wonderful people, thanks all those that have provided me with advice and help I will add to the Levante forum as I go. THANKS again .
Hi Trevor,

If you would need anything along the way just ask. Lazy as I am of course I didn't posted my journal for more than a year. Although I think I promised to do so. Sorry, I'm definitely a lost case ;)

Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Trevor,

If you would need anything along the way just ask. Lazy as I am of course I didn't posted my journal for more than a year. Although I think I promised to do so. Sorry, I'm definitely a lost case ;)

Ultreia!
It was one of the biggest lessons I learnt on Camino 1, if you have a problem ask as someone will have a solution if not you will feel better after a chat. thanks for your notes and info.

Hope it goes well Trevor - I walked the Levante at the beginning of September seven years ago.
Just about to do the next big pilgrimage - 700 miles around Wales on the Cistercian Way

Andy

Well after all the planning, it is here tomorrow I fly out to Hong Kong and then onto Madrid before going down to Valencia (staying at Hotel Paris) for a few days to look around and recover after the flight and then off along the way to Santiago de Compestela. All packed, my backpack is waiting near the front door as I am about to saunter across Spain and then Portugal for 3 months, again thanks to all that have given me help.
Trevor

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well after all the planning, it is here tomorrow I fly out to Hong Kong and then onto Madrid before going down to Valencia (staying at Hotel Paris) for a few days to look around and recover after the flight and then off along the way to Santiago de Compestela. All packed, my backpack is waiting near the front door as I am about to saunter across Spain and then Portugal for 3 months, again thanks to all that have given me help.
Trevor
So excited for you! If you like Calatrava, there are five or six Calatrava buildings a few kms from town in the old river bed. Very controversial, as I remember, with several lawsuits pending. I got a tour out there from a pal who lives in Valencia and she told me that the opera house has almost as many seats with blocked views as seats without. Where architecture and engineering conflict. Valencia is a really beautiful city. Good train from airport to town if you like public transportation. Buen camino!!!

Trevor
Hi, Trevor,

Laurie already mentioned nice train ride from airport. It's also very easy to reach Pension Paris with metro (line 3 or 5 to Colon: http://www.pensionparis.com/location-pension-paris-valencia/). Wish you a nice stay in Valencia which is indeed very beautiful city and Buen Camino de Levante!

Levante Alumni will be here to assist and help you with whatever you might want to know while on the road :)

Hi, Trevor,

Laurie already mentioned nice train ride from airport. It's also very easy to reach Pension Paris with metro (line 3 or 5 to Colon: http://www.pensionparis.com/location-pension-paris-valencia/). Wish you a nice stay in Valencia which is indeed very beautiful city and Buen Camino de Levante!

Levante Alumni will be here to assist and help you with whatever you might want to know while on the road :)
Thanks Laurie, its hard to explain to people that we pilgrims are never alone, if a problem pops up just ask someone will always help. Thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So excited for you! If you like Calatrava, there are five or six Calatrava buildings a few kms from town in the old river bed. Very controversial, as I remember, with several lawsuits pending. I got a tour out there from a pal who lives in Valencia and she told me that the opera house has almost as many seats with blocked views as seats without. Where architecture and engineering conflict. Valencia is a really beautiful city. Good train from airport to town if you like public transportation. Buen camino!!!
Thanks, it looks as though I will be going by train to long a wait in Madrid a train will have me there by 1pm - 2pm and gives me time to get to the Cathedral for mass after settling in.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Waiting for a midnight flight from Hong Kong, nearly home.

Ok, Trevor, I have started a separate thread for you and your Camino de Levante. We will be waiting with bated breath to hear how it goes for you. I would love to be there. :)
Isn't wonderful that we have the biggest family going around.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well its 5am arrived in Valencia (by train) yesterday afternoon booked into the Paris, they had my passports stamped and filled out. Showered went for a walk up to the Cathedral had a look around and the wandered back for a nana nap, well 12 hours later I am up must have needed that nap. So while it's cool I may grab some coffee try out my maps and walk to Sila today or tomorrow. This is a great place to stay thanks for the recomendation.

Hi peligrino's from downtown Sila, thanks for the advice I woke this morning from a siesta that started at 5pm Saturday, must have bee tired after the 41 plus hours it took to get here. The walk was marked well but through the the industrial area was not bad as I could not get over the lack of pilgrims. Missed mass at Sila but had a good talk with the priest had both my passports stamped, lit candles for thanks. Now over the road having a beer and will soon go back to enjoy Valencia again accomondation great. Thanks for the advice as doing the whole stage in one hit would have made it unenjoyable as iris very hot now back to Valencia, not sure if I will have a siesta as I may not wake up till Monday....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back in Valencia for a few days, surprise did not see one peligrino but lots of people taking dogs for an early Sunday walk.

7pm from down town Valencia, decided that no walking around town tomorrow weather is being predicted to hit 40c so I am off to the beach, so glad I did Silla this morning. I hope all pilgrims out on the road tomorrow wear hats start early and drink heaps of water and leave the beer till you stop. Be very carefull.

Monday up early to beat the heat and saunter, as I am a saunteer found a cafe opening at 6 then down to the river bed and walked in the cool to the science area, on way back found a little church and went to mass to ask for help in the coming days with this heat. Then a slow saunter back for a snooze am out now as it is cooling found a bar in a side street and people watching. A quite day tomorrow then an early start on Wednesday.

Also had two credincials waiting at pension Paris the new Santiago seems okay with stamps no running, I am carrying two the Santiago and de Levante.

The suspension is building. :D It's been a long while since I was able to follow someone on the Levante, and I am very much looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. Just remember that the asphalt WILL end after the first few days, I remember the huge relief it brought.

I keep thinking "lucky lucky you." Just thinking about exploring that castle in Moixent makes me want to head back, it is one of the most amazing castles I have ever seen, but then I'm no expert. Anyway, enjoy your last day in Valencia!

Well what can I say but the 30 odd k's really hurt today in the heat I was sore grumpy, but as I lay on the seat waiting to get into the alburge, I softened and then the Camino provided it is the towns annual fiesta with it kicking off tonite and again tomorrow so I am staying two nites to get over the heat and enjoy this spectacle. If it's still hot I will cut my days into half walk half bus it's a long way to go together heat stroke. Let the festive season begin, first mass and then the procession around town.....I am in Algemesi and it's the Fiesta de La Mare de due de la salut. I love bumping into what the Camino delivers on those odd days.

Enjoy the festival, lucky you :)! I’ve twice unwittingly arrived in towns on festival day. It’s so wonderful, and so much fun to watch. A grumpy camino day turns into a memorable camino day :rolleyes:. Jill

Enjoy it Trevor and maybe a short(er) stage tomorrow :)

Well what can I say but the 30 odd k's really hurt today in the heat I was sore grumpy, but as I lay on the seat waiting to get into the alburge, I softened and then the Camino provided it is the towns annual fiesta with it kicking off tonite and again tomorrow so I am staying two nites to get over the heat and enjoy this spectacle. If it's still hot I will cut my days into half walk half bus it's a long way to go together heat stroke. Let the festive season begin, first mass and then the procession around town.....I am in Algemesi and it's the Fiesta de La Mare de due de la salut. I love bumping into what the Camino delivers on those odd days.

Sounds like a smart and fun plan. I did a quick google search to see what I could find out about the fiesta, and it looks like you are in for some fun! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Mare_de_Déu_de_la_Salut_Festival

Just resist the urge to form part of one of those human towers. ;)

Going by the guest book at the Albergue, they have had 14 pilgrims in the past 3 months. That included a German lady who stayed last night with her dog, so that's 14' plus a dog.

Well it is getting busy a Frenchman just walked into the Alburge and he looked worse than I did yesterday, it's starting to get busy. Final night of the fiesta and I will then be up at 5 to walk as much as I can in the dark it is very hot, picked up some hydration powders but if it's to hot I can always jump a train. I will check the forecast but they are not all that accurate as it hit 35 here today.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well it is getting busy a Frenchman just walked into the Alburge and he looked worse than I did yesterday, it's starting to get busy. Final night of the fiesta and I will then be up at 5 to walk as much as I can in the dark it is very hot, picked up some hydration powders but if it's to hot I can always jump a train. I will check the forecast but they are not all that accurate as it hit 35 here today.

Hi, Trevor, be safe! You may already know this, but the Cercanias line runs all the way to Moixent. You can see a map with all the stops

http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/planos/valencia.png

Hope you enjoyed the fiesta, it looks like it packs in a lot of tradition. ?Buen camino, Laurie

Well today I walked from Moixent to La font de la Figuers, and struggled in the heat and the guide books being so far out with distances, but I arrived to be greeted with another fiesta my luck has no limits. But a twist, I went to the casa as recommend but the in was full that pool looked sooooo inviting, the alburge full but I arranged a taxi to Almansa looking at what I bypassed I know it was the best the temps are out of this world and carrying the 5-6 litres of water in 35 plus days is just not enjoyable. I may move to Toledo and hope for cooler weather but I will see I have been told to be careful of La Mancha in this heat two days ago it was 41c . But I am glad as I have met some great people the Camino always provides but I am aware of its dangers (2013) so a great shower and tonite I will soak in a back.

I can't even begin to imagine walking for days and days in this heat. But it sounds like you are being a smart peregrino. I am betting you are not even considering the long haul from Almansa to Higueruela, but if you find that the temps are cooperating, Almansa to Alpera is about 23 I think. Alpera's albergue is very nice, in fact, we were the very first people to stay there! I don't remember there being much, if any, shade on that stage, so I'm sure that's another concern. I remember filling up my water bottles at or near the ranch. An old thread that discusses this may be helpful to you -- https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...levante-hope-to-start-april.12704/#post-84998.

Stay safe, Trevor! Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for all the help but I think a wise head had to prevail so I borrowed my wife's and caught a train north to Burgos via Madrid and tomorrow stat back on walking and guess what rain is predicted. I have been noticing a lot of walkers looking very sore and tired the heat has caught a lot out. So thanks but now a new path on the the same life Camino begins.

Well, yes, Trevor, time to move on. The Levante is a perfect camino for early spring, so put it on the list for April or May some year, and hopefully you can now enjoy some more seasonal weather up around Burgos! Time to start a new thread, methinks! "Trevorcc on the Francés." Buen camino to you, wherever the camino takes you. Laurie

Well, yes, Trevor, time to move on. The Levante is a perfect camino for early spring, so put it on the list for April or May some year, and hopefully you can now enjoy some more seasonal weather up around Burgos! Time to start a new thread, methinks! "Trevorcc on the Francés." Buen camino to you, wherever the camino takes you. Laurie
Thanks Laurie it was time to use some sense, the France's is busy there seems to be new alburges popping up in all the towns which is good for the locals, I have not seen as much rubbish yet maybe people are learning .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back