• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great airfares - fyi

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I just booked my Spring flight on Lufthansa Chicago to Paris non stop for $470 RT. April 11th to May 12th. I know this is early but you can not beat the price. Not sure how this price holds up from other points of origin.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just booked my Spring flight on Lufthansa Chicago to Paris non stop for $470 RT. April 11th to May 12th. I know this is early but you can not beat the price. Not sure how this price holds up from other points of origin.
Too early for me to book, but thanks for the heads up. But what I really want to know, is where will you be walking next year? My expert powers of deduction (hmm, I think actually that may be induction) lead me to think it's a route in France. ;)

What is the difference between "economy base" and "economy base plus 1" besides a thousand dollars? Seems a big difference since both contain the word "economy." Have you flown with them before?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Too early for me to book, but thanks for the heads up. But what I really want to know, is where will you be walking next year? My expert powers of deduction (hmm, I think actually that may be induction) lead me to think it's a route in France. ;)

Laurie:

I have not decided yet. That said, I will more than likely walk the Norte, Frances, Vasco or possibly walk from Lourdes or some other point in France.

Jor

What is the difference between "economy base" and "economy base plus 1" besides a thousand dollars? Seems a big difference since both contain the word "economy." Have you flown with them before?

Cher:

I am not sure of the exact differences.

Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wish sometimes that I lived in the Lower 48. Today I shelled out $3500 for 2 RT tickets from Anchorage to Madrid for next May. :(

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Depends on your priorities. Now, I won't be flying from the US, but you may book a plane with Norwegian from NYC to Paris from $149 in March and $272 in April.

I wish sometimes that I lived in the Lower 48. Today I shelled out $3500 for 2 RT tickets from Anchorage to Madrid for next May.
Try flying from somewhere else. Peg and I once booked round trip Boston/Detroit tickets to get a really cheap Detroit/Europe airfare.

I hope I didn't mess up this booking at book.lufthansa.com but I just saw a $331 Canadian ($250 US) Lufthansa round trip from Vancouver to Paris leaving 1 May 2017 returning 31 May 2017. Look into this some more and maybe you can book something cheaper than you have now even if you lose a deposit on the tickets you just bought.

Was able to get British Airways bargain fares also - Vancouver to London for May, 2017 for the equivalent of U.S. $600. Early to be sure, but worth it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Try flying from somewhere else. Peg and I once booked round trip Boston/Detroit tickets to get a really cheap Detroit/Europe airfare.

I hope I didn't mess up this booking at book.lufthansa.com but I just saw a $331 Canadian ($250 US) Lufthansa round trip from Vancouver to Paris leaving 1 May 2017 returning 31 May 2017. Look into this some more and maybe you can book something cheaper than you have now even if you lose a deposit on the tickets you just bought.

I searched from different angles. I could have bought one for about $600 cheaper but I didn't want to fly in a cramped seat. I'm flying ANC-SEA-LHR-MAD. It's only 19 1/2 hours in flight and on BA I can select the twin seats which means we won't have a third seat in our row. So I'm paying a bit more for comfort and shorter flight. Even still, the cheapest option was still in the $1500 pp range. THe other nice thing about this expensive ticket is that it gets us into Madrid at 12:40pm and we have time to take the train at 4pm to Oviedo. So we say money and time by not having to overnight in Madrid.

I shouldn't complain. Comfort has it's cost. I just hate that half that fare is a BA surcharge for fuel that is no longer needed.

Hi all, when I am hearing about the high airfare, I'm glad that I live in Europe.
Wish you all well, Peter.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I searched from different angles. I could have bought one for about $600 cheaper but I didn't want to fly in a cramped seat. I'm flying ANC-SEA-LHR-MAD. It's only 19 1/2 hours in flight and on BA I can select the twin seats which means we won't have a third seat in our row. So I'm paying a bit more for comfort and shorter flight. Even still, the cheapest option was still in the $1500 pp range. THe other nice thing about this expensive ticket is that it gets us into Madrid at 12:40pm and we have time to take the train at 4pm to Oviedo. So we say money and time by not having to overnight in Madrid.

I shouldn't complain. Comfort has it's cost. I just hate that half that fare is a BA surcharge for fuel that is no longefittefr needed.
om
London. Airport also had some of the highest airport taxes, but I've been using BA for some time now and have benefitted from their points. Had 2 free hotel nights in Santiago last Nov. I looked at it as a great birthday gift!

Are you limited to 31 days for a return? That's a hell of a push for the CF.
Ultreia!
obinjatoo, we were comparing air fares to London from Vancouver. This isn't for the Camino in Spain, it's for walking in Scotland....and no I am not limited; I chose departure/return dates with no problem. I know our forum is mainly for the Camino(s), but from time to time, we have threads on Air fares in general, and who is offering the best deals. Maggie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Cheapest ' Bargain ' fare return from Melbourne to Barcelona is $1600 Aus . How I envy those that needn't suffer the tyranny of distance . By the way , does anyone have advice on open ended tickets ? I really don't want to hurry what will most probably be my first and last Camino , somehow a fixed date of return is , at least to me , a tyranny in itself.

Ultreia!

If you are asking this question too me, I try to limit my Camino's to one month each year. I believe I can easily walk the Frances or Norte in four weeks or less. The first 5 days I will walk 25-30 km's per day. After that, my average will increase to 35 km's per day with the occasional 40+ day on the Meseta. I would estimate 25 days for the CF. That would be averaging 32 km's per day or about 8 hours walking with breaks/lunch daily. I would estimate 27 days on the CN because I believe it is a little more difficult and the stages are less regular.

I am leaning towards the CF because it will be six years since I have walked from SJPdP and it will allow me a couple of days in Santiago and time to visit a Camino friend in Cologne.

I understand some might feel this is rushing but it is my pace.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ultreia!

If this is questioning a time limit on the fare, I do not know. These are the dates I had plugged into my Kayak search. When the fare popped, I bought my ticket.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hate to say this, but tragedy in Europe benefits North American travelers. The day after the attack in Nice I was able to book a multi-city flight from Bloomington Illinois to Porto Portugal, with return from Santiago to Bloomington next month month for $600, half what it had been the previous day and with no muddling about on trains or buses.

Cheapest ' Bargain ' fare return from Melbourne to Barcelona is $1600 Aus . How I envy those that needn't suffer the tyranny of distance . By the way , does anyone have advice on open ended tickets ? I really don't want to hurry what will most probably be my first and last Camino , somehow a fixed date of return is , at least to me , a tyranny in itself.

Here's my half a Euros worth:
I know that I was able to buy a one way from Washington DC to Paris in August 2014 and it was fine to enter Europe by way of Iceland (really cheap fares from the eastern seaboard). As an American, I am only allowed 90'days tourism in the Schengen countries.I don't know how it is for you Aussies. But I just heard from someone recently that they were denied entry into a Schengen countey because they didn't have an outbound ticket. AND in a really stunning upset, a good friend of mine (American) was denied entry into the UK after her 3 months in Europe. I'm not sure what happened there.
As far as open ended or "open jaw" tickets that we used to buy, the airlines no longer offer them. That is according to a cousin of mine in the travel industry.
I did get wind if some online outfit that sort of "rents" onward tickets. I think for a nominal fee, they book you an onward ticket and then once you enter they cancel it and you don't actually pay for it.
My point is, do your research and know up to date regulations. The French tourist industry really took a hit with the bombing and other lunacy that killed a bunch of people. It seems while the authorities are jumpy (as well they should be with rampant loose cannons running amok) some of the tourist industry could use support. It changes daily. One thing we all know for sure though. Wherever one travels these days, it will not be dull.
Good luck and buen camino!

How we Antipodeans envy those north of the equator. No cheap fares for us, that I can find.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back