• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LesBrass on the Vdlp

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello... we're day 2 on the VldP at Castilblanco. There are quite a few pilgrims walking... maybe 20 in our little wave. It's still very hot... so we're setting off early so we can finish before its too hot.

I'm loving my UV umbrella... so glad I bought one!

You can follow my progress on my blog... if you're interested in this English woman's ramblings :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Everyone,

I am in a wonderful private albergue in Almaden. It's a private house with only two rooms and two beds in each rooms.

I am actually staying here for several days trying to recuperate and make a decision about what to do if I don't get better. The owners are letting me stay as long as I need to get better, which is good feeling because as you all know they usually don't let you stay more than one night.

I started in Seville Monday, September 19th, and it was with some reservation because I woke up Saturday morning dizzy and nauseous. I just though it was dehydration as its been quite hot and I had a pretty long day Friday, but my nausea never really went away.

I felt a little better Monday and started from the cathedral and throughout the day felt a little nauseous and just attributed it to the heat as it hit about 99 degrees (37c). I got an early start and luckily that first day is short. I stayed at the Luz Del Camino private albergue and ended up with a room by myself because there were so few people.

I had mentioned my nausea to the host, Peter, and he suggested that I stay there another day. I woke up in the morning feeling fairly good and headed out.

That day went a little harder for me as I was almost out of energy by the time I reached Castilblanco.

I stayed at the municipal albergue and I was offered another few nights there if I needed it. I decided to stay and watched everyone head out fairly early in the morning for the long stretch with the steep uphill near the end of the day. I was laying there feeling fine and decided to head out. In retrospect I should have stayed!

I made sure I had four liters of water and some food as there is nothing between. Several pilgrims took a cab to the entrance of the national park instead of walking the road.

I didn't find the road that bad because there are very few car on it, and it is just part of the Camino. The scenery on the road is actually similar to the park, rolling hills and lots of oak trees.

It was hot and I found myself struggling a bit and stopped under the little bits of shade I found. I wasn't feeling bad by the time I reached the turnoff through the national park. The temperature was around 95 degrees (35c) and half way through the park I became nauseous to the point I felt I was going to throw up. At that point I thought of going back to the highway, but I was more that half way. I continued on and got to the bottom of the steep grade into Almaden and I just could not take another step. I was exhausted! I kept drinking water but I was so nauseous that I had a hard time drinking it without thinking of throwing up.

I had not seen another person the entire time in the national park and I wasn't sure what to do? If any of you had heard, this is actually the spot where a pilgrim died a few weeks ago from heat exhaustion. But apparently he had other complications, including diabetes.

I knew it wouldn't be wise to continue on even though it was just another 3-4 kilometers, but it's steep and I literally couldn't take one more step.

I was a little desperate about what to do and my wife back home sent me a text with the Spanish emergency number, 112. I didn't know it and called. They passed me to an English speaker as my Spanish is a little rough. The dispatcher was very professional and helpful. I told him I didn't need an ambulance but he said they generally sendvone because they never know the actual conditions until they get there.

After about twenty minutes a patrol car from the Guardian Civil showed up with two police officers. They were very friendly and happy to help, asking if I needed to go to a hospital or doctor. Having felt this way for so long I said, doctor. They took me to a doctor in Almaden, and they went in with me. Afterwards they even took me to the hostel. What service! Great guys!

The doctor said I looked in good shape, no fever, no respiratory issues, a good heart rate, and normal blood pressure. His conclusion was that I had a stomach virus or bacteria, maybe from the water I drank in Seville. He said though it is generally fine to drink, people coming from other parts of the world sometimes can't tolerate various bacteria in different water.

Interesting because I trekked the Camino Francis from SJPDP to Santiago from May 23, to June 23, this year, and drank water from everywhere and never had any issues.

I went to the farmscia and got some antibiotics and went to the hostel. I felt pretty bad today and plan on staying here until I feel better no matter how long I have to stay here before I go on.

This was a real eye opener for me as I consider myself in fairly good shape, but I made the mistake of being over confident, and that's what gets you into trouble. It's scary to think what I might have done if I could not have received cell service or not had such a good support system with emergency personnel.

One more thing! As I was telling another pilgrim about my issue, I showed him the picture I had of the two police officers standing next to me. He laughed and said it was the same two officers that had rescued him and his partner in the park too! They were the ones that took the cab that same day, and once inside the park they got lost and also called 112. Funny, but it's good to know there is good support out there.

Some of you will probably pass me here?

Have a safe and wonderful Camino,
Ted

Last edited:
I took the liberty of starting a new thread with LesBrass's most recent post. She is no longer anticipating the Vdlp, she's on it and posting live! I realize your main outlet may be the blog, and I will try to remember to check it. Wishing you a wonderful walk. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Ted Stek

Very glad to hear that you are recovering! Take your time to do so and don't get impatient when you see the other pilgrims walking past! One more thing to consider when hiking/exercising in the heat is your salt intake, you lose a lot of salt when sweating which can contribute to the symptoms you described.

Buen Camino, SY

PS Glad to hear also that the emergency services worked so well, for everybody that doesn't know it, I repeat it here:

When in trouble in Europe, call 112 and you will be connected with an English speaker that helps you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
love the blog...Buen camino..All being well i should be on the VDLP in Feb''

Hello Everyone,

I am in a wonderful private albergue in Almaden. It's a private house with only two rooms and two beds in each rooms.

I am actually staying here for several days trying to recuperate and make a decision about what to do if I don't get better. The owners are letting me stay as long as I need to get better, which is good feeling because as you all know they usually don't let you stay more than one night.

I started in Seville Monday, September 19th, and it was with some reservation because I woke up Saturday morning dizzy and nauseous. I just though it was dehydration as its been quite hot and I had a pretty long day Friday, but my nausea never really went away.

I felt a little better Monday and started from the cathedral and throughout the day felt a little nauseous and just attributed it to the heat as it hit about 99 degrees (37c). I got an early start and luckily that first day is short. I stayed at the Luz Del Camino private albergue and ended up with a room by myself because there were so few people.

I had mentioned my nausea to the host, Peter, and he suggested that I stay there another day. I woke up in the morning feling fairly good and headed out.

That day went a little harder for me as I was almost out of energy by the time I reached Castilblanco.

I stayed at the municipal albergue and I was offered another few nights there if I needed it. I decided to stay and watched every head out fairly early in the morning for the long stretch with the steep uphill near the end of the day. I was laying there feeling fine and decided to head out. In retrospect I should have stayed!

I made sure I had four liters of water and some food as there is nothing between. Several pilgrims took a cab to the entrance of the national park instead of walking the road.

I didn't find the road that bad because there are very few car on it, and it is just part of the Camino. The scenery on the road is actually similar to the park, rolling hills and lots of oak trees.

It was hot and I found myself struggling a bit and stopped under the little bits of shade I found. I wasn't feeling bad by the time I reached the turnoff through the national park. The temperature was around 95 degrees (35c) and half way through the park I became nauseous to the point I felt I was going to throw up. At that point I thought of going back to the highway, but I was more that half way. I continued on and got to the bottom of the steep grade into Almaden and I just could take another step. I was exhausted! I kept drinking water but I was so nauseous that I had a hard time drinking it without thinking of throwing up.

I had not seen another person the entire time in the national park and I wasn't sure what to do? If any of you had heard, this is actually the spot where a pilgrim died a few weeks ago from heat exhaustion. But apparently he had other complications, including diabetes.

I knew it wouldn't be wise to continue on even though it was just another 3-4 kilometers, but it's steep and I literally couldn't take one more step.

I was a little desperate about what to do and my wife back home sent me a text with the Spanish emergency number, 112. I didn't know it and called. They passed me in to an English speaker as my Spanish is a little rough. The dispatcher was very professional and helpful. I told him I didn't need an ambulance but he said they generally sendvone because they never know the actual conditions until they get there.

After about twenty minutes a patrol car from the Guardian Civil showed up with two police officers. They were very friendly and happy to help, asking if I needed to go to a hospital or doctor. Having felt this way for so long I said, doctor. They took me to a doctor in Almaden, and they went in with me. Afterwards they even took me to the hostel. What service! Great guys!

The doctor said I looked in good shape, no fever, no respiratory issues, a good heart rate, and normal blood pressure. His conclusion was that I had a stomach virus or bacteria, maybe from the water I drank in Seville. He said though it is generally fine to drink, people coming from other parts of the world sometimes can't tolerate various bacteria in different water.

Interesting because I trekked the Camino Francis from SJPDP to Santiago from May 23, to June 23, this year, and drank water from everywhere and never had any issues.

I went to the farmscia and got some antibiotics and went to the hostel. I felt pretty bad today and plan on staying here until I feel better no matter how long I have to stay here before I go on.

This was a real eye opener for me as I consider myself in fairly good shape, but I made the mistake of being over confident, and that's what gets you into trouble. It's scary to think what I might have done if I could not have received cell service or not had such a good support system with emergency personnel.

One more thing! As I was telling another pilgrim about my issue, I showed him the picture I had of the two police officers standing next to me. He laughed and said it was the same two officers that had rescued him and his partner in the park too! They were the ones that took the cab that same day, and once inside the park they got lost and also called 112. Funny, but it's good to know there is good support out there.

Some of you will probably pass me here?

Have a safe and wonderful Camino,
Ted
And, Ted, wishing you a good solid recovery. It sounds like you have plenty of time and know how important it is. Almaden isn´t exactly a tourist haven, so the silver lining is that you won't be tempted to be out and about. Hope you have a good book, but internet access is a second best! Buen camino, Laurie

BTW, when you are back on the road again, feel free to start your own "live from the Vdlp" thread -- as you can see, there are lots of us who enjoy hearing from forum members who are there.

@Ted Stek

Very glad to hear that you are recovering! Take your time to do so and don't get impatient when you see the other pilgrims walking past! One more thing to consider when hiking/exercising in the heat is your salt intake, you lose a lot of salt when sweating which can contribute to the symptoms you described.

Buen Camino, SY

PS Glad to hear also that the emergency services worked so well, for everybody that doesn't know it, I repeat it here:

When in trouble in Europe, call 112 and you will be connected with an English speaker that helps you!

Thank you for all you advise!

It's interesting that you mentioned the salt, but I buy the big bag of salted sunflower seeds and eat them throughout the day when I am hiking. They sometimes tend to make you more thirsty, which gets you to drink more water, and also replenish that salt that your body needs. Besides, sometimes it keeps you mind off of a steep hill, etc., when you are concentrating on trying to break that shell open in your mouth.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Ted Stek I am so sorry to hear of your experiences. I am in almadan tonight but have only just seen your post. I am so glad to hear you've been well looked after.

We decided to take the taxi as it is so hot. Some of the guys who walked the road arrived very late and are really tired.

We'll done for having the good sense to get help.

I'll keep an eye out for you... get well very soon and if I can help in anyway please let me know.

The
@LesBrass Buen camino, glad to hear the brolly is working for you and am loving the pics on the blog! Got itchy feet now ...

The Brolly has been much admired and saved our bacon... I'm thinking of naming her!

Come join us if those feet get too itchy:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Ted, and don't forget to take in sugar, which is what your body uses for energy. Generally when you start to feel absolutely exhausted you're experiencing muscle fatigue - the body has used up all it's readily available sources of glucose. Carrying some chocolate, or hard candy can really help in a pinch. Better yet, at the next Pharmacia, see if they have any effervescent Sport Drink / Energy tablets. They're usually quite refreshing in addition to their medicinal use, and tasty enough to encourage you to drink so as to ward off dehydration.

It's also easy to make your own in the morning - in a water bottle pour in about 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1-2 tbsp sugar, and a squeeze of lemon/lime/or orange = a homemade energy drink!

Thanks that's a good tip. You are right about that sugar, it's something that gives you that extra boost your muscles need at times, especially when it's hot like this. I always like a little orange juice, which seems to give me that extra boost, especially at the end of the day. Unfortunately none of that worked with that bug I have.

I layed around here all day at the Casa del Reloj albergue and feel much better. I am so fortunate that I came here in my condition because as there are only four beds, and no one here during the day, and there is a living room and patio here to lounge and recuperate.

I have to lay off of the wine and beer the next five days until my prescription runs out, so no staying up and drinking too.

My feet are itchey to start back up and I have to be smart about it and wait until I am completely better. I'll see how I feel in the morning?

Thanks all, Buen Camino,
Ted

Thank you again for the lovely pixs. As for your Aussie friend ...just use the magic words -Aussie -Aussie -Aussie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
LesBrass, I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading your blog! I walked the first half of the VdlP in a couple of years ago now but your wonderful prose is bringing back such memories of the walk and scenery. Buen Camino!!

LesBrass, I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading your blog!
Can only second this. As I can hardly wait for each days post I think I'll make a pause for a week and then read for half an hour in one piece :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sugar - just to note that the sports drinks/sachets often have sweeteners not sugar so do check the ingredients. Best buy are the rehydration salts, rather than sports type, with correct balance of salts/sugar etc.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Good to hear you are on the mend. Don't be afraid to take a rest day or use a local bus if you are not 100% - some of the stages are very taxing however fit you might be. Besides, using the odd bus is a different type of experience. I'm sure you are doing your homework so you know exactly what you face the next day, so you know how much water to carry and how to bail out if you have to. Always try to have a plan B!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm another one who love your blog @LesBrass ! Thanks for posting.
It's not doing me any good though as I am in full Camino 'longing' mode :rolleyes:;)
I'm glad you have the silver umbrella btw, it may look odd - won me the nickname Mary Poppins :rolleyes: - but it does the job!

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back