Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking primitivo

FrPeter

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, PR - 2016; CF 2018; CP 2019; VDLP (to Caceres) 2019
Hello,
Does anyone know how busy primitivo is right now? I am coming over from French way which is very busy.

Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, FrPeter,
Keep an eye on Michael's thread, he just arrived in Grado and reports that all is well. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/and-i-am-off.43363/

It would be interesting to hear if the Primitivo avoids the September crush that the Frances seems to be a victim of. Are you going to walk from Leon up to Oviedo? If so, a splendid 4-6 days on the Camino deal Salvador await you! Buen camino, Laurie

I wish I had the time to walk to Oviedo. But I have to be in Oviedo tomorrow. So taking the bus tomorrow.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wish I had the time to walk to Oviedo. But I have to be in Oviedo tomorrow. So taking the bus tomorrow.
I hope it's less crowded for you (it really has to be less crowded than the Frances, but i mean not crowded). Smart move on your part...Buen Camino
edit: if it's still open for visitors, i liked the short detour to Santa Eulalia de Bóveda. Pretty sello, too, I think the fact that I'd walked the few extra km went in my favor when I checked in at my next albergue...i got a very nice room :)

I hope it's less crowded for you (it really has to be less crowded than the Frances, but i mean not crowded). Smart move on your part...Buen Camino
edit: if it's still open for visitors, i liked the short detour to Santa Eulalia de Bóveda. Pretty sello, too, I think the fact that I'd walked the few extra km went in my favor when I checked in at my next albergue...i got a very nice room :)
I would second that recommendation! If you do take this detour (or even if you don't), there are two private albergues in Ferreira and you can reserve a bed. The newer one (A Nave, just opened this year http://www.anavedeferreira.com ) also has private rooms. The older one, is in an old stone building. http://www.ponteferreira.com/?lang=en

Both albergues are great, about a km apart.

BTW, the Albergue has a Facebook post with info about the detour to Santa Eulalia (which, in case you don't know, is a Roman crypt under an old church with amazing paintings). http://www.ponteferreira.com/2015/02/primitive-way-santa-eulalia-de-boveda/?lang=en.

Now in La Espina. There is no problem with getting beds even though I have found more people walking primitivo than I expected.
It is beautiful camino, though harder than last couple of weeks that I walked to Leon before going to Oviedo.

Thank you for suggestions and will certainly consider it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now in La Espina. There is no problem with getting beds even though I have found more people walking primitivo than I expected.
It is beautiful camino, though harder than last couple of weeks that I walked to Leon before going to Oviedo.

Thank you for suggestions and will certainly consider it.

Go as slow as you can Fr P because the noise when you get near Melide is deafeaning.
Its a beautiful way the Primitivo,
Buen Camino.

Go as slow as you can Fr P because the noise when you get near Melide is deafeaning.
Its a beautiful way the Primitivo,
Buen Camino.
I am thinking of doing the Primitivo next year (Gw). A question to anyone who has done it and travelled from Ireland, where did you fly to and from? I don't mind flying into any of the Spanish cities. I know I can fly over to England and get a flight direct to Asturias, but wonder what there options there are in the experience of the forum members.
Many thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am thinking of doing the Primitivo next year (Gw). A question to anyone who has done it and travelled from Ireland, where did you fly to and from? I don't mind flying into any of the Spanish cities. I know I can fly over to England and get a flight direct to Asturias, but wonder what there options there are in the experience of the forum members.
Many thanks
Since I've just been looking at some posts on the Salvador, I'll add a bit of unsolicited advice. How about flying to Madrid, taking a train/bus up to Leon and walking the Salvador from Leon to Oviedo and then on the Primitivo from there? It is a beautiful route! If you have 4-6 extra days to work with, this is an amazing combination. Buen Camino, Laurie

Many thanks
Hi Elaine, First, thanks for your report on CP. I hope to go in November.
I did Primitivo this year, starting from Ireland. I looked a lot at ways of getting there and decided the singular advantage of arriving off a plane in Asturias Airport, (which like all good Ryanair gateways is not actually in Oviedo ;)) trumped flying direct to Spain from Dublin. I took the last flight of the evening to Stansted from Dublin and the first flight of the morning from Stansted on (easyjet). I was in Oviedo in time for lunch. It did mean spending the night on the floor in Stansted (along with many hundreds of like-minded souls, most of whom of course were not planning to do the Primitivo) but we were allowed to check in before 4am and it was not my worst airport experience!! There are plenty of shops/bars/cafes open in Stansted overnight and plenty of places to curl up in a sleeping bag too.
Airport bus into Oviedo took about 40 mins IIRC and is once an hour.
The Primitivo was terrific, and plenty to see in Oviedo for the first day.
Tim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Elaine, First, thanks for your report on CP. I hope to go in November.
I did Primitivo this year, starting from Ireland. I looked a lot at ways of getting there and decided the singular advantage of arriving off a plane in Asturias Airport, (which like all good Ryanair gateways is not actually in Oviedo ;)) trumped flying direct to Spain from Dublin. I took the last flight of the evening to Stansted from Dublin and the first flight of the morning from Stansted on (easyjet). I was in Oviedo in time for lunch. It did mean spending the night on the floor in Stansted (along with many hundreds of like-minded souls, most of whom of course were not planning to do the Primitivo) but we were allowed to check in before 4am and it was not my worst airport experience!! There are plenty of shops/bars/cafes open in Stansted overnight and plenty of places to curl up in a sleeping bag too.
Airport bus into Oviedo took about 40 mins IIRC and is once an hour.
The Primitivo was terrific, and plenty to see in Oviedo for the first day.
Tim
Tim, many thanks for that. I may well do the same.
Also re the CP in November, if you are staying in the Albergues I think you will have the Portuguese ones all to yourself! Walking companions remarked on my trip how quiet they were (and good). Also you might not have your walking of the first part interrupted by cyclists so much!
Hope to hear how you get on?
Elaine

Since I've just been looking at some posts on the Salvador, I'll add a bit of unsolicited advice. How about flying to Madrid, taking a train/bus up to Leon and walking the Salvador from Leon to Oviedo and then on the Primitivo from there? It is a beautiful route! If you have 4-6 extra days to work with, this is an amazing combination. Buen Camino, Laurie
Laurie, that's a great idea which I must look into. I was thinking that a night in either Bilbao (to see the Guggenheim which I have missed on 2 previous visits!) or Madrid would be an added bonus. I love Leon and I am not so interested in doing the Melida to Santiago bit again. Where do I find out abut the Salvador route? You have obviously done it so any advice would be just great.
Many thanks
Elaine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie, that's a great idea which I must look into. I was thinking that a night in either Bilbao (to see the Guggenheim which I have missed on 2 previous visits!) or Madrid would be an added bonus. I love Leon and I am not so interested in doing the Melida to Santiago bit again. Where do I find out abut the Salvador route? You have obviously done it so any advice would be just great.
Many thanks
Elaine

Hi, Elaine,
There is a subforum for the Salvador here on the forum. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-del-salvador.54/. The first thing I would do is download Ender's guide in English https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-del-salvador-guide.466/

There's a good bunch of Salvador fans on the forum, so you should feel free to post questions. What time of year are you contemplating? IMO, the Salvador is safest and prettiest after the danger of snow in the passes is gone, which is probably late May/early June. But I know the weather is crazy and not predictable. In any case, I think June is totally safe.

Hi, Elaine,
There is a subforum for the Salvador here on the forum. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-del-salvador.54/. The first thing I would do is download Ender's guide in English https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-del-salvador-guide.466/

There's a good bunch of Salvador fans on the forum, so you should feel free to post questions. What time of year are you contemplating? IMO, the Salvador is safest and prettiest after the danger of snow in the passes is gone, which is probably late May/early June. But I know the weather is crazy and not predictable. In any case, I think June is totally safe.
Laurie, again many thanks for your information. I was thinking of Sept next year, and I will certainly look into the links you have given. Thank you so much.
Elaine

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Laurie, in your experience of walking, how do you rate this route? Would it be on par with the primitivo?
Elaine

Hi, Elaine,
If you post a question in the Salvador subforum, the chorus will start. I think most of us would say that it is one of the most beautiful routes in Spain. Pictures say it better: https://get.google.com/albumarchive...W6z1T4ICJ2a9UlZOpYe9P?authKey=CKSok6yontzEhwE

Ok, so I am a camino nut, but I wouldn't have walked it three times and still be wanting more if it weren't spectacular. It is a great pair with the Primitivo. In bad weather conditions, it is difficult, but oh so worth it IMO.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I can't find it either in Camino resources but this spring I've downloaded it and saved as .pdf. Here in attachment.

Attachments

• Ender's guide in English 2016.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
Sorry -- I have a link to a google doc with the English version

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61VvtkuNOwEMXpaM280YWtTTXM/view?pref=2&pli=1

You should check through the Camino del Salvador Facebook page and look at May posts to see what you see. May might be a bit early. But since you are in Spain, Maggie, if you have flexibility, you could always postpone if things look dicey closer to the date. I can also get up to date info from Ender at the time. Last year I know a couple of people hired a guide to take them in snow shoes, but I think it was more of a challenge than anyone anticipated and I don't know if it will be available this year.

Hi, Elaine,
If you post a question in the Salvador subforum, the chorus will start. I think most of us would say that it is one of the most beautiful routes in Spain. Pictures say it better: https://get.google.com/albumarchive...W6z1T4ICJ2a9UlZOpYe9P?authKey=CKSok6yontzEhwE

Ok, so I am a camino nut, but I wouldn't have walked it three times and still be wanting more if it weren't spectacular. It is a great pair with the Primitivo. In bad weather conditions, it is difficult, but oh so worth it IMO.
Laurie, your advice/links and general camino "nutness" has convinced me that all being well, physically (and mentally!) the Salvador is top of the list for next year - "100 percent" as they say in Fermanagh!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks so much @KinkyOne and @peregrina2000 for your swift responses. The guide is very interesting.

Will check out the FB page.

Many thanks
I fly from Dublin on 28th to Santander. Midday flight. I am staying the night and bus to Oviedo following morning. Might start a short walk or stay and enjoy the Cathedral and the history of Oviedo before moving on. I am a little anxious but also excited to start the Primitivo. I will post updates on this forum. BTW thanks to everyone contributing and to this excellent forum

I fly from Dublin on 28th to Santander. Midday flight. I am staying the night and bus to Oviedo following morning. Might start a short walk or stay and enjoy the Cathedral and the history of Oviedo before moving on. I am a little anxious but also excited to start the Primitivo. I will post updates on this forum. BTW thanks to everyone contributing and to this excellent forum
Hi there. Good luck with your walk. I really look forward to your updates along the way. Out of interest how long is your bus from Santander to Oviedo?
Elaine

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there. Good luck with your walk. I really look forward to your updates along the way. Out of interest how long is your bus from Santander to Oviedo?
Elaine

The bus is the normal length;) however the journey is just over 2 hours w/- 5 buses before noon

Many thanks

Dear Lainey, I just finished the Primitivo on Aug 30. Brilliant can't recommend it highly enough. Below is an extract from my journal on how I got there. By the way I only booked the outgoing flight 3 weeks in advance and still got it for €74. If you wish for a full copy of my journal just PM me with your email address and I will forward it on. Best of luck & Buen Camino

1300 - Ryanair flight to Santander arrive 1600, cost €74
1750 - Alsa bus Santander to Oviedo arrive 2005, cost €33 booked in advance on Internet. Express, luxury coach, drinks, snacks & recent movies. Excellent.
Tried the Municipal Albergue but was full, directed to Albergue Peregrina, Calle Coyadoaga. Close to Cathedral & on the actual Camino. A bit cramped but fine €6.

1300 - Ryanair flight to Santander arrive 1600, cost €74
1750 - Alsa bus Santander to Oviedo arrive 2005, cost €33 booked in advance on Internet. Express, luxury coach, drinks, snacks & recent movies. Excellent.
Tried the Municipal Albergue but was full, directed to Albergue Peregrina, Calle Coyadoaga. Close to Cathedral & on the actual Camino. A bit cramped but fine €6.
Sounds another very good option. I will keep a note.....just in case!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Elaine.
I am taking the 13.05 Ryanair from Dublin arriving Santander 16.05. Bus from airport to city centre station runs every 30min. I've decided to stay the night and get early bus to Oviedo. I considered the 17.50 evening bus but want to rest up. The 07.15 morning Asla bus costs around €15 one way arrives in Oviedo 10am. The 08.30 is €7 and arrives Oviedo at 11.45. I'm spending day sight seeing in Oviedo and start my walk following morning. I've read some of the other replies and just wish to put another option. Best of luck with your plans. I pray mine work out.
James P

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back