• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Couple fined for starting a fire in Finisterre

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Now this happens when you are a total moron / stupid / ignorant etc...and burn some of your equipment at the End of the Camino / end of the world.
Article link and in the link a video of the helicopter used for getting the fire under control.

https://vivecamino.com/detenida-una...-un-incendio-en-el-cabo-de-finisterre_no_194/

https://vivecamino.com/fotos-videos/incendio-en-el-cabo-de-finisterre-jv-lado_5647/

Yes, the fire brigade surely has nothing else to do then this... .

And no these were not young kids who could not know what they were doing. Adults should know better and IMHO this couple really should have known.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As long as this 'tradition' is still mentioned in some guidebooks and pilgrim tales, this will sadly continue to happen.
Buen Camino, SY
I think stupidity has been around a lot longer than the guidebooks, I take my shoes socks and poles home after each Camino and treasure the memories each item brings me. Words just leave me with these sort of tossers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IF there is a tradition at Cabo Fisterra, it is of very recent origin.

The real tradition of burning clothes, is in Santiago de Compostela, on the rooftop of the Cathedral, in a medieval incinerator. Hardly surprising considering pilgrims were pretty much unwashed and probably crawling with lice and other vermin when they arrived. The incinerator is pointed out to visitors who do the rooftop tour.

It truly is devastating and sad that this happened. And it's very disappointing that this couple made such a poor decision. I'm also disappointed, though, to see them being called "morons" and "stupid" by fellow-pilgrims. I'm guessing they never wanted this destruction to happen ... that they just did what they thought was expected and "tradition" according to guidebooks and articles they read. I'll bet they feel humiliated and horrible. Judgment, condescension, and name calling go against the spirit of the Way. Sometimes it's hard not to let our anger and frustration get the best of us ... but, as pilgrims, as human beings, we should show compassion and grace. None of us is perfect and we all make or have made foolish mistakes.

It truly is devastating and sad that this happened. And it's very disappointing that this couple made such a poor decision. I'm also disappointed, though, to see them being called "morons" and "stupid" by fellow-pilgrims. I'm guessing they never wanted this destruction to happen ... that they just did what they thought was expected and "tradition" according to guidebooks and articles they read. I'll bet they feel humiliated and horrible. Judgment, condescension, and name calling go against the spirit of the Way. Sometimes it's hard not to let our anger and frustration get the best of us ... but, as pilgrims, as human beings, we should show compassion and grace. None of us is perfect and we all make or have made foolish mistakes.

Sorry sometimes you have to call it like it is. I did not see a reason to sugarcoat this one.
And rest assured I made some foolish mistakes in my life but setting my gear on fire when it is scorching hot and in a rural forest area I did not.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been there on occasions when the fumes alone from burning of "technical and synthetic clothing and footwear" was nauseating. "Well educated adults" showing no regard for the environment, pilgrims and local who have to work there. As SYates said guide books will have to stop mentioning it as a so called tradition.

As long as this 'tradition' is still mentioned in some guidebooks and pilgrim tales, this will sadly continue to happen.
Buen Camino, SY
from one such guide: One pilgrim ritual is to burn shoes or clothing to symbolise the end of the pilgrimage.

Forwarding the news article in an email to the authors now.

Education - and a measure of common sense - should help to limit and then end this practice. Perhaps signs in albergues along the Way to Finisterre with the photo from the news article might help.

A question - are there fire ban days/areas in Spain? If so, the area around the lighthouse should be one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wowwww. ...! Now I am confused! I hv jz literally arrived at Finisterra, and whilst at the Galician tourist information in Santiago, the lady pointed out to me (and highlighted) the current practices in the Galician Finisterra/Muxia camino guide that one partakes in the burning of a clothing item as well as take a bath in Langostiera Beach to obtain a Fisterrana. I had been debating which socks to burn! I did, though wonder the sense in the practice in the current forest fire situation in Northern Spain!IMG_20160825_120959.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Wowwww. ...! Now I am confused! I hv jz literally arrived at Finisterra, and whilst at the Galician tourist information in Santiago, the lady pointed out to me (and highlighted) the current practices in the Galician Finisterra/Muxia camino guide that one partakes in the burning of a clothing item as well as take a bath in Langostiera Beach to obtain a Fisterrana. I had been debating which socks to burn! I did, though wonder the sense in the practice in the current forest fire situation in Northern Spain!View attachment 28680

well this is awkward

(on that note, and no matter what anyone tells you, PLEASE do not light fires anywhere on the Camino. it's been a dramatic summer in Spain and especially Galicia regarding forest fires)

@William Garza haha... quite agree the shoes need to be got shot of... but firstly, my Solaman shoes hv not given me any issues since SJPDP and secondly, I hv still got to walk to muxia yet... maybe when I get back to London!

@jefferyonthecamino quite agree! Its been in the 40sC from Roncesvalles til Villafranca del Berzoi! I did question the logic of the tradition but got a polite smile from the Galician tourist information lady.....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I dont know how the hell does wrote that! Its could be dangerous both to burn clothes and to have a bath at Lagosteira beach. No a single word about the missing pilgrims in the beach? Nor a single world about the risk of fire? Insane!.

Last edited:
I did all 3:
bathing naked at the entrance beach to Finisterre,
set some old socks on fire, they had a 50 gallon drum set for you to use ...
and watched a wonderful sunset ...
Wonderful memories .

The fire is out, let the ashes blow in the wind

IF there is a tradition at Cabo Fisterra, it is of very recent origin.

The real tradition of burning clothes, is in Santiago de Compostela, on the rooftop of the Cathedral, in a medieval incinerator. Hardly surprising considering pilgrims were pretty much unwashed and probably crawling with lice and other vermin when they arrived. The incinerator is pointed out to visitors who do the rooftop tour.
.Kanga, I have also "heard/read" that in the old days, pilgrims arriving at the Cathedral were advised to get their clothes burned and also given "new garments" to wear before entering the Cathedral. Both symbolic and practical. Those must have been the days..... I met a kind lady in O'Cebreiro who answered my question without batting an eyelid. "Where did these pilgrims sleep". And she just said "anywhere" :). Buen Camino, Sister :) Caesar

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This recent (actually today's) article in a local newspaper doesn't mince their words and speaks a clear language when they call it a pseudotradición de queimar prendes = a pseudo-tradition of burning clothes and estupidez disfrazada de moderna tradición de queimar unha prenda de roupa = a stupidity disguised as a modern tradition and warns that a fire may turn out to be lethal one day.

On the other hand, the official Tourism office for Galicia still touts the Cabo Fisterra and the Costa da Morte as the place for los peregrinos que según la tradición queman a la orilla del mar las ropas y comienza el regreso a casa and donde los peregrinos llegan a quemar sus ropas tras la larga caminata.

http://www.turismo.gal/o-cabo-fisterra?langId=es_ES
http://www.turismo.gal/patrimonio-na-costa-da-morte?langId=es_ES

Maybe a visit (gentle of course) by a couple of the big boys from the Fire Department to the Tourist Office would sort it. ;)
Just one single simple message: No Fires!

Blessings
Tio Tel

Last edited:
These "cleansing rituals" (bathing in the sea, burning something, watching the sun set in the sea) at Fisterra are a tradition that is about 25 years old, as is the Camino to Fisterra (in connection with the St James pilgrimage). Main factors were a book by Louis Charpentier, published in 1971, and then heavy promotion of a Camino de Fisterra starting in the 1990s by the autonomous community, the province and trail-related municipalities, reinforced by the modern narrative in guidebooks, books, blogs, movies. These rituals seem to be popular and appealing to many. I doubt that they can be supressed. Just repetitive omnipresent information and where necessary prohibition with heavy fines, regularly enforced, and wide spread publicity about the fines.
Karthar1na... I absolutely LOVED it in Fisterra. I met some pilgrims I hadn't seen for days and they were at a cafe and we all "wept" together. I felt a huge weight being lifted off me. They were a Mom and Daughter team, btw. The kind lady paid for my tea when she left. I was beautifully amazed. Buen Camino, :) Caesar

This event represents a perfect example of so called "traditional" ways clashing with modern sensibilities.

There was a time when people drove without seat belts, played football without helmets, did things in the past that no sane person would consider doing today. In a world that is becoming more crowded, within an ever increasing stressed environment, challenged by things such as climate change, we must re-examine what we think is traditional and what is sensible.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi

These leaflets were given out together wt the information and credential booklet.... indeed, almost all the albergues I used since starting this Camino hv stacks of the leaflets for pilgrims. I jz checked wt the hospitalerios and they are aware of the recent pilgrims arrest and, indeed, told me, the forest fire recently was quite close to Finisterra! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_20160825_162156.jpg
    IMG_20160825_162156.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
When I was in Santiago last week, and attended mass, the priest took all the participating pilgrims through the process of burning a black piece of paper which represented our old evil selves and explained quite a bit about the pilgrimage.... but unfortunately, the volunteer interpretator had to leave, so I did too.... it could hv been a brilliant lessons in hx of the Cathedral as well as St James... :)

I must say, given that the fire was put out with no personal injuries or major property damage, I am almost relieved that this has finally, and inevitably, happened. I was disgusted by the quantity of detritus of fires and half burned clothing and footwear left on the beach and the slope above it at the lighthouse at Finisterre. I saw no sign of a metal drum in which this process could be carried out safely. I can only say to all who attempt to carry out any and all "traditions" regardless of their safety, aesthetics, or ecological damage: "Be sensible, people. You loved your camino. Please protect the route for others."

I was struck by the number of Pilgrims, who, overcome by the fumes of their burning socks, were unable to convey their empty Cava bottles the 200m to the recycling bins. And my heart was broken by the couple who burnt the Baby-gro of their lost child and walked away into the gods' only knows what future.

Nevertheless I agree that this mythological 'tradition' needs to be debunked.

what adjectives should be used for pilgrims that follow supposed traditions of leaving graffiti on any clean surface they find,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I admit I've sinned in 2011 when I completed my Frances&Finisterre Camino. I burned pair of my 100% cotton socks with holes in them. I used to be scout and alpinist and well aware of polution also that's why I would never burn clothes made of tech materials and by all means not the boots. In 2015 I left them by the trash bins because soles were worn out but the rest was still OK. So somebody might used them for gardening or work in the field etc.
When in 2011 I was burning my socks a ranger came and said the fire is forbidden. I pointed to my second sock to show him it is nmade of cotton and to 1,5 liter plastic bottle full of water. He was pleased but every year since that I completed my Camino I didn't even think of burning anything.
A metal drum/large bin could be usefull. With someone to check the material of clothes intended to be burned. But I think that would be too much hassle for Ayuntamiento of Fisterra or other Galician authorities. That is the middle way I'm sure and would satisfy all involved.

Attachments

• 1826-casualties of Camino (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    1826-casualties of Camino (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 1518-casualties of Camino (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    1518-casualties of Camino (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 1525-burning socks (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    1525-burning socks (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 1526-burning socks (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    1526-burning socks (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 37
SY, could not agree more. The fact that guidebooks claim this is a tradition implies that this practice is ok.

BTW, the article does not say the Italian couple was fined but "detenidos" which means arrested.

Apparently they went beyond burning a few items, they threw a burning boot further away!

Time for guid books, with the help of the community, to try a new "tradition": the donation bin. No air polution, no risk of forest fires, people in need benefitting, and the same feeling of elation, if that was ever real, but this time for doing a good deed.

SY, could not agree more. The fact that guidebooks claim this is a tradition implies that this practice is ok.

BTW, the article does not say the Italian couple was fined but "detenidos" which means arrested.

Apparently they went beyond burning a few items, they threw a burning boot further away!

Time for guid books, with the help of the community, to try a new "tradition": the donation bin. No air polution, no risk of forest fires, people in need benefitting, and the same feeling of elation, if that was ever real, but this time for doing a good deed.

Well let's us hope that after the detention the fine follows. Sorry I got it wrong in the OP.

I admit I've sinned in 2011 when I completed my Frances&Finisterre Camino. I burned pair of my 100% cotton socks with holes in them. I used to be scout and alpinist and well aware of polution also that's why I would never burn clothes made of tech materials and by all means not the boots. In 2015 I left them by the trash bins because soles were worn out but the rest was still OK. So somebody might used them for gardening or work in the field etc.
When in 2011 I was burning my socks a ranger came and said the fire is forbidden. I pointed to my second sock to show him it is nmade of cotton and to 1,5 liter plastic bottle full of water. He was pleased but every year since that I completed my Camino I didn't even think of burning anything.
A metal drum/large bin could be usefull. With someone to check the material of clothes intended to be burned. But I think that would be too much hassle for Ayuntamiento of Fisterra or other Galician authorities. That is the middle way I'm sure and would satisfy all involved.

I use to back country hike, which means you pack out what you bought. Garbage and all. Used and worn gear. All of it. Nobody expected Mother Nature to dispose of your worn gear, garbage and junk.

Can you imagine showing up a friends place, stripping off your clothes and burning them, tossing away what did not burn and dumping the rest on the garbage can? I am sure over time, your friends would stop inviting you over to their place.

The same should apply for the camino.

Nobody should expect the host country and its citizens to take responsibility to dispose of your junk.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Anemone del Camino - Regarding the boot: As I read/understood it, they set fire to the boot whilst holding it in the hand, as it got too hot (quelle surprise!) they/one throw it away in panic. Buen Camino, SY

Sadly, there are a few new annoying "traditions" : Lets say...
Burning clothes at Finisterre.
Graffity everywhere
Those "zen" piles of stone
Padloks at certain places of the way
"Decorate la Cruz de Fierro with, pieces of paper, ribbons, plastic flowers, funerary urns...
.................. ............. ...................... (Write your own favorite "tradition" at the dash line.:(:mad:

I use the back country hike, which means you pack out what you bought. Garbage and all. Used and worn gear. All of it. Nobody expected Mother Nature to dispose of your worn gear, garbage and junk.

Can you imagine showing up a friends place, stripping off your clothes and burning them, tossing away what did not burn and dumping the rest on the garbage can? I am sure over time, your friends would stop inviting you over to their place.

The same should apply for the camino.

Nobody should expect the host country and its citizens to take responsibility to dispose of your junk.
Agree with you (almost) completely. But...

Disposing the 100% cotton socks makes no difference globaly whether I dispose (burn) them in Spain or somewhere around Lavrentiya or in my home country.
One other thing - When I go to the Croatian seaside I pay (same in Spain, Turkey etc.) tourist tax, approx.1€/day. They have told me it's for mending our shit and stuff, to be direct.
Therefore if my friend would clearly tell me what is it all about I would or wouldn't do that. By the time being nobody crossed with my "how-to-do's".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Agree with you (almost) completely. But...

Disposing the 100% cotton socks makes no difference globaly whether I dispose (burn) them in Spain or somewhere around Lavrentiya or in my home country.
One other thing - When I go to the Croatian seaside I pay (same in Spain, Turkey etc.) tourist tax, approx.1€/day. They have told me it's for mending our shit and stuff, to be direct.
Therefore if my friend would clearly tell me what is it all about I would or wouldn't do that. By the time being nobody crossed with my "how-to-do's".

Instead of burning your socks or anything else for that matter, wash and dry them and donate them to those more needy and less fortunate. It is something that my wife and I do at home, and have done in various places like Nepal and Australia. Even in Spain there are people that would appreciate this act of charity and kindness.

How cool would that be?

A new camino tradition where of instead of burning your stuff, you gave it away to those in need!

Do as you may as others have done for you.

Instead of burning your socks or anything else for that matter, wash and dry them and donate them to those more needy and less fortunate. It is something that my wife and I do at home, and have done in various places like Nepal and Australia. Even in Spain there are people that would appreciate this act of charity and kindness.

How cool would that be?

A new camino tradition where of instead of burning your stuff, you gave it away to those in need!

Do as you should as others have done for you.

@jirit
While I agree with the intention, I am not sure that it is needed at present, at least in Finisterre. I happened to be there last fall when there was a free shoes and clothing distribution to anyone who could demonstrate that she, or he, was a resident of Finisterre. There was masses of clothing and those who wanted any basically put in their order for what they wanted and then picked it out from what was there. One local girl showed me her haul, with which she was very satisfied. It might be better to take home what you brought or bought and find a local need for it. This could be a way of moving your attention from the camino back into your home community.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

How cool would that be?

Do as you may as others have done for you.
Have you care to see the first two photos???

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where and how you do it, matter less than simply doing it. And doing it more often.

On the subject of fires, consider the last paragraph of this article.

Traditional vs sensible. A simple act traditional activity that probably was not very sensible when conditions are so dry

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/32758646/portugal-spain-try-to-stamp-out-wildfires-after-deadly-week
@jirit
I am of the dig a hole type myself, but certainly he was following a traditional way of cleaning up after himself. Perhaps this is more evidence for the "Mind the trap" article that I helped to get distributed. We human beings do not always behave in the wisest manner when there is, or might be, a risk to ourselves, others, or the environment. I shall try to think before acting and to recognize danger. But I am so hopeless at starting fires that I am more likely to suffer from hypothermia.

Well, I think that explain everything I wrote before and after your comment.
My points were not directed at anybody in particular.

Instead I am just offering alternate suggestions to what some may decide to do based on traditional beliefs.

Piles of smoldering synthetic and rubber footwear and clothing at Finisterre. Ridiculous. Yet I'm sure the lemmings on the CF will continue to do it because they some hack wrote in a book that it's the thing to do.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But, but, but, it's "their Camino"? Can't they just do whatever they want? I'm confused.
exactly ! thanks! on one item I "complained" of the change in sentiment and behavior in CF and then I feel bad - as intolerant and close-minded old woman. I mentioned leakage of waste, yelling, breaking branches with unripe fruit, walking through a wheat field (and thereby destroying the crop). Most of the comments were in meaning: things are as they are, they change and evolve, we must adapt and adopt. Each has its own way. However, as a pedagogical worker I know that it is much easier to directed things a bit at the beginning, as when the "grazing". Maybe as a friendly attachment when you get credential. Even the guides could be said some of the basic things, I think it is very nice once Rebekah Scott wrote about this (unfortunately I can not find).
In any event, common sense should be above the need to follow to some custom (in mid-summer in many Mediterranean countries, is prohibited open fire - because of the danger of fire, when all is dried and full of essential oils, which quickly burst into flames
And I wrote (probably in contrast to what most thought): This is not your Camino. It is yours and the one who walks in front of you and behind you. And, First of all - is home to people who live along it.

exactly ! thanks! on one item I "complained" of the change in sentiment and behavior in CF and then I feel bad - as intolerant and close-minded old woman. I mentioned leakage of waste, yelling, breaking branches with unripe fruit, walking through a wheat field (and thereby destroying the crop). Most of the comments were in meaning: things are as they are, they change and evolve, we must adapt and adopt. Each has its own way. However, as a pedagogical worker I know that it is much easier to directed things a bit at the beginning, as when the "grazing". Maybe as a friendly attachment when you get credential. Even the guides could be said some of the basic things, I think it is very nice once Rebekah Scott wrote about this (unfortunately I can not find).
In any event, common sense should be above the need to follow to some custom (in mid-summer in many Mediterranean countries, is prohibited open fire - because of the danger of fire, when all is dried and full of essential oils, which quickly burst into flames
And I wrote (probably in contrast to what most thought): This is not your Camino. It is yours and the one who walks in front of you and behind you. And, First of all - is home to people who live along it.

LOVE IT.
You are speaking for me. Like a Hospitalero myself, I try to friendly teach? pilgrims about good behaviour on the Camino. Many times I received a smug look in return. And again and again, not ever but increasingly the answer to my statement is the same: "...but I'm doing my OWN camino. Please Do Not Be Judgemental!
The sad true is that our civilisation its turned more and more self indulgent. Like a very wise american friend said. "The pronoun "I" is the only one that always is written with capital letter."
Buen camino to you all, honest people.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
These "cleansing rituals" (bathing in the sea, burning something, watching the sun set in the sea) at Fisterra are a tradition that is about 25 years old, as is the Camino to Fisterra (in connection with the St James pilgrimage).
Not being a student of the History of the Camino I will not challenge your position, however would you please explain the history/tradition of returning pilgrims (in the 11th-14th C) carrying a scollop/scalop shell as proof that they had completed their pilgrimage? Cheers
(BTW when you see the photograph that Ivar posted you can fully understand why these people were fined.)

Kathr1na will no doubt give relevant information on the scallop and the Camino but the Oilgrim Office website does talk about it:

https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

Adeline Rucquoi, in Mille fois a Compostelle also talks about the shell given as proof of completion (hence why the shell should only be worn after having arrived, and not on the way there, unless you have arrived there at least once before).

It says that at the end of the 12th century, shell sells people in Santiago had multiplied so much that the Church interviened to prevent fraud and tried to give the cathedral the monopoly to sell shells. They event went to court for this!

Pope innocent III even signed a decree so that false shelles could no longer be sold. (Guess people were also chering back in the day!)

The shell's importance comes from the legend of the arrival of Saint James' body at the same time a young man almost drowned during his wedding but came out of the sea covered in seashells next to the boat transporting Saint James' remains. The disciples who were accompanying the remains considered the miracle as a sign and associated the shell with Saint James. Others say that the two 2 parts that make up the shell represent love for God and love for others, while its riges represent good deeds. It is also said to symbolize the virtue of generosity one is dupposed to have acquired by making the pilgrimage to Santiago and who is now bringing back home.

€83,-
I think that the tendency to burn items at Finisterre is related to the choice of many pilgrims to continue to there after they reach the traditional end of the pilgrimage route in Santiago. To walk to the end of the world makes it very clear that the walk must be over: there is an ocean in front of you and a long walk behind. What do you do now? Maybe there is a need to make a ritual to symbolize this ending? Like getting rid, in a ritual way, of the footwear and clothing that you walked in? Could the albergues in Finisterre do something to help pilgrims with this? I know that in Santiago I met with a group at Pilgrims' House where people were invited to consider the meaning of their pilgrimage to them and how they were handling the ending. A group ritual at Finisterre might help people manage the ending of their walk. I have no idea what sort of ritual might work for such a group. But I think that it could be done. People clearly want a ritual.

Perhaps something that @JohnnieWalker and the Camino Chaplaincy could be thinking about doing in future? Buen Camino, SY

Last edited:
It seems to me that it wouldn't have been done in the earlier days of pilgrimage because in those times pilgrims would have needed their clothes for walking back home.

€83,-
LOVE IT.
You are speaking for me. Like a Hospitalero myself, I try to friendly teach? pilgrims about good behaviour on the Camino. Many times I received a smug look in return. And again and again, not ever but increasingly the answer to my statement is the same: "...but I'm doing my OWN camino. Please Do Not Be Judgemental!
The sad true is that our civilisation its turned more and more self indulgent. Like a very wise american friend said. "The pronoun "I" is the only one that always is written with capital letter."
Buen camino to you all, honest people.
I find it sad the "doing ones own Camino" has become synonymous with bad (rude, selfish, self indulgent) behaviour. When I first read the term it was regarding a pilgrim wishing to walk but her personal limitations meant she would have to use a baggage service. She was concerned that people would judge her for not being a real pilgrim. Someone kindly told her to worry less about what others thought and to do "her own Camino".
So how did that generous sentiment became minintereperted to the point where a "pilgrim" feels entitled to leave behind waste (human or otherwise), walk through crops, harass livestock, paint graffiti, burn articles of clothing and in general act boorishly all in the name of "doing ones own Camino"? Is it because the Camino has become a cost effective adventure vacation?
I have no expectation that pilgrims walk for religious or spiritual reasons. Motivation is personal. But I like to think people walking in a communal human train would at least want to leave the place no worse off than they found it, and, in an ideal world, better than they found it.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
the Camino has become a cost effective adventure vacation?
Oh, now there is a topic for a thread or two. Well I suppose it has been thrashed through a few times already. I can't find the recent quote but is was apposite and I'll paraphrase it as - "it is your camino; but it is also everyone else's camino".

Yes there is a fair amount of anger and sarcasm on this forum. Not pleasant.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some ancient and even modern pilgrimages (e.g. The Hajj) require(d) sexual abstinence. Funny I don't see that tradition going on so much, but setting fires and leaving piles of trash...it's strange what some people will do to excuse their bad behavior.

total moron,
stupid,
ignorant,
sadly,
stupidity,
nauseating,
disgusted and embarrassed,
ridiculous .... etc

Who are you / me to judge?

These words say about you, what you are, not what they are. Who is not with me, is against me.

There was an accident, not the first nor the last. On the Camino dog bites pilgrims, did we look for to remove all the dogs from the Way?

Tradition or not, pilgrims do that, so it should be adjusted.

The whole CF is commercialized, why they do not put the drum at a lighthouse?

Bota

€149,-
total moron,
stupid,
ignorant,
sadly,
stupidity,
nauseating,
disgusted and embarrassed,
ridiculous .... etc

Who are you / me to judge?

These words say about you, what you are, not what they are. Who is not with me, is against me.

There was an accident, not the first nor the last. On the Camino dog bites pilgrims, did we look for to remove all the dogs from the Way?

Tradition or not, pilgrims do that, so it should be adjusted.

The whole CF is commercialized, why they do not put the drum at a lighthouse?

Bota
Hi.
I dont know how are you to judge, but I know who I am to do it.
I´m a spanish citizen, who likes to obey the laws of my country, and like the visitors which obey it, too.
I´m a pilgrim who loves the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage, and do not like tourists that think they can do whatever they want, disrespecting the Camino and my country.
I am a human who like to see how the Cultural Heritage of the Humanity is been preserved for my sons, and the sons of my sons. And for your sons and the sons of your sons too.
I am a man who is willing to front facing the consequences of their actions and be judged by my peers.
I am a man who do not think everything is ok.
I am an adult.
And those who not comply with the laws, the rules, etc because they think "I´m doing my own Camino, my own life, my own... ( write what you want) ", those who think they can hold a burning shoe on their hands in the middle of the bush. because burning things at the end of the word is cool and do not care what those stupid locals think, those who think "nobody has the rigth to judge me", are morons, stupid, ignorant etc persons.
And acording spanish laws are criminals too, and they will be probably condemned by a spanish judge, who for sure has the rigth to judge them, to something harder than a fine.
Buen Camino to you, all honest people.
Ildefonso.

Last edited:
Hi.
I dont know how are you to judge, but I know who I am to do it.
I´m a spanish citizen, who likes to obey the laws of my country, and like the visitors which obey it, too.
I´m a pilgrim who loves the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage, and do not like tourists that think they can do whatever they want, disrespecting the Camino and my country.
I am a human who like to see how the Cultural Heritage of the Humanity is been preserved for my sons, and the sons of my sons. And for your sons and the sons of your sons too.
I am a man who is willing to front facing the consequences of their actions and be judged by my peers.
I am a man who do not think everything is ok.
I am an adult.
And those who not comply with the laws, the rules, etc because they think "I´m doing my own Camino, my own life, my own... ( write what you want) ", those who think they can hold a burning shoe on their hands in the middle of the bush. because burning things at the end of the word is cool and do not care what those stupid locals think, those who think "nobody has the rigth to judge me", are morons, stupid, ignorant etc persons.
And acording spanish laws are criminals too, and they will be probably condemned by a spanish judge, who for sure has the rigth to judge them to something arder than a fine.
Buen Camino to you, all honest people.
Ildefonso.
Hi Ildefonso,

when I came over the Pyrenees to Spain, nobody gave me the Spanish laws. I, and many other pilgrimage. do not know the Spanish laws. But we know the normal and cultural behavior. Mostly, we do it.

But when you Spanish, write something and say that this tradition, what do you expect from people who read it?

For that reason, for my/you sons, and the sons of my/you sons, is it a problem to put one drum at a lighthouse?

Nothing else.

Who wants something burn, do it in drum.

And everybody happy.

Bota

Bravo Pinguigrino. As for Bota, have you never heard the expression that " Ignoring the law is no excuse"?

If you travel to a foreign country it is your responsability to know its laws, it is not your host country to explain them to you.

And I would like to see where you hace seen Spaniards write that it is legal and tradition to risk a wild fire for the sake of a so called cleansing ritual.

Have you seen signs in Fistrra inviting people to set fires? I have not?

As for judging others, yes, that is what being a adult is about. We are taught to develop our judgement, our logic. Everyting does not go.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you seen signs in Fistrra inviting people to set fires? I have not?

I agree. I have however seen signs pleading with pilgrims not to start fires. My posts generally slightly lean toward tolerance:rolleyes: (sometimes), but I live in an area that burns every summer. Intermittently for weeks now ash has settled on my windows, and smoke obscured the hills. Animals die or are displaced; humans die or are displaced. Century old trees are destroyed, and with the drought no new ones will grow in their place. When winter comes the hills will slide, closing roads, and taking away the good soil that would be needed for the forest to regrow. I would not be very tolerant at all if I saw someone setting a fire here. I can only imagine how it would be if the one who burned and destroyed and killed didn't even live here.
I am very sorry for the damage pilgrims have done, in general, and in particular this fire. It amazes me that Spain has been so tolerant over the years. Sometimes we talk about getting a letter or petition as pilgrims to a camino host-country to literally or figuratively clean up their act. Perhaps at some point we could send such a letter from pilgrims, to Finisterre and Spain, in apology. :oops:

Hi Ildefonso,

when I came over the Pyrenees to Spain, nobody gave me the Spanish laws. I, and many other pilgrimage. do not know the Spanish laws. But we know the normal and cultural behavior. Mostly, we do it.

But when you Spanish, write something and say that this tradition, what do you expect from people who read it?

For that reason, for my/you sons, and the sons of my/you sons, is it a problem to put one drum at a lighthouse?

Nothing else.

Who wants something burn, do it in drum.

And everybody happy.

Bota
At Finisterre, you can find lots of advertisements about forbiddance of fires. You can find too guards informing people about dangerous behaviors. All Spain is banned area for open fires. ( Not barbacues are allowed on our own gardens)
The people that burns clothes at the end of the word, usually do it on the rocky áreas.
For God sake, how a intelligent adult person try to hold a shoe on their hand, burn it, dump it into the bushes, and still expect dont be called stupid? What will you expect if burning a shoe, say it, in the middle of a park un tour country? Would you say to the people, to the firemen, to the police, please do not be judgmentel?

Last edited:
Pinguigrino, have you heard further news on sanctions against this couple?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pinguigrino, have you heard further news on sanctions against this couple?
Hi, Anemone. No, I have not heard any news about that, but according spanish laws probably they will be sentenced to prison. But nevertheless due the no voluntariness of the crime, I think they will not be imprisioned. A sad story.

super, we can talk and talk, but what's the solution?

I suggested drum, and you?

Only sanctions?

Then start with sanctions to those who write about it in guidebooks.

Bota :)

Yes, this "tradition" has to be taken out of guidebooks/articles/blog posts etc. but it is also our responsibility as pilgrims to educate other pilgrims that a) it isn't a tradition at all but a modern age thing and b) that even burning modern clothing in a drum harms the environment (think air pollution)

Because of the later I don't think a drum is a solution, not burning anything at all is. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Only sanctions?
On

Hi. I suggest to comply spanish law. No fires are allowed. No drums, no barbacues, nort a single ccigarrete trown on the fields. Simply.

It may be an idea to put notices and reminders all along the way. When driving in Spain in the summertime, There are constant and posters along the autovias, at toll booths etc. reminding you constantly of the danger of fire. I noticed on my walk this year that in many of the picnic areas along the camino the outdoor BBQs were covered in police tape and notices not to use them. There were firespotter helicopters en route too.

Only sanctions?

Drum on the rocks / beach is equally ugly in Finisterre as it been in Split. I think that even those who have the need to burn shoes and clothes do not have the same "joy" if they do it in the drum - not enough "primal":D
Accidents happen when we think it will be not any harm. Therefore, the accident differs from arson. So, for those that do not have enough experience - it is wise to follow the law and rules - most of them created on the basis of experience. And these experiences are similar to Croatia and Spain - in summer open fire is PROHIBITED.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have to be more creative and pro-active ;): Put up huge custom-made clothes containers; paint them in rainbow colours or in blue with yellow scallops; put catchy slogans on them, such as "give and you will be given", "the Camino takes what you will not need"; create a little saying/prayer to recite before clothing or shoes are put into the container; create a myth about what will happen if you do/don't put your stuff into these containers at the end of your walk to Cape Finisterre; persuade Emilio Esteban to include an appropriate scene in his "The Way II" movie.

Triple Like!!! Buen Camino, SY

The easiest way is to something forbi, and then do sanction.
Many people want to do it, why we do not create conditions to do it?

About image by the OP and Ivar put on, picture shows that the fire was in front of the lighthouse. Not behind, where pilgrims burn their things.

Many tourists come by bus, why do you think that it ignited a pilgrim?

Because it is bad for the environment? You know the earth we live on and the air we breath?

As for how we know that it was pilgrims - please have a look at the newspaper articles linked in this thread they clearly state that the ones that caused the fire were - pilgrims.

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Because it is bad for the environment? You know the earth we live on and the air we breath?

Buen Camino, SY
You know what is happening in Brazil where burning of the Amazon forests?

You know what is happening in Indonesia where airplanes do not fly because fire from the rainforest make the smoke that nothing can see?

This is bad for the environment, this is bed for our little sphere.

Bota

The easiest way is to something forbi, and then do sanction.
Many people want to do it, why we do not create conditions to do it?

About image by the OP and Ivar put on, picture shows that the fire was in front of the lighthouse. Not behind, where pilgrims burn their things.

Many tourists come by bus, why do you think that it ignited a pilgrim?

We dont care if the fire is started by a pilgrim a tourist or a spaniard. In my country the law is the same for everybody. BUT:
We know because they were caugh red handed. And yes they call thenselves pilgrims. And yes they went were the guards could not see them.
And we dont create the conditions because the risk of fire, and those are the Spanish laws.
And for the many? people who want to do it, I suggest resignation, or maybe choose other country to burn their garbage.
I would like to burn my hat on the top of Duvrovnic´s wall but I must live the rest of my life with the frustation of cant doing it. You know, those incomprehensible Croatian laws.:):) (Just joking)

No so deaf as those who will not hear.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pilgrims are not higher caste, nor spoiled children. The fact that "many of the pilgrims' so wishes, does not mean that it is justifiable and smart. And to repeat: this is the Camino, but it is primarily the home of the people who live there.
And, of course - Brazil and Indonesia ..... but anyone can start in their behavior. On it certainly has an impact

You know what is happening in Brazil where burning of the Amazon forests?

You know what is happening in Indonesia where airplanes do not fly because fire from the rainforest make the smoke that nothing can see?

This is bad for the environment, this is bed for our little sphere.

Bota

So why should it be allowed then in Finisterre? Only because those fires are on a smaller scale doesn't mean they don't do any damage. SY

a dog with a silly hat ( local expression)
please translate this, I really want to start using it :) (always looking for substitutes to keep my language PG)

Bota, I understand your suggestion of joining rather than fighting by use of a barrel, but people would burn the wrong items, or say 'if it's ok in the barrel, it will be ok over here where we can drink while burning things (big assumption, but stupid action is often alcohol-related).

what I find amusing (in a laugh so I don't cry way) is over the last couple of days the photos appearing when I open the forum have had several pics of people piling up rocks (oh stop!) on the road markers, and two of fire setting at Finisterre...

my marathon coach likes to say 'can't fix stupid'

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Plus to what @Smallest_Sparrow said, even when I drum were provided not everybody would know when to use it and when not to use it.

"Here is a drum/barrel, it is 'a bit windy' but lets burn our clothes/shoes anyway. Oops, I never imagined that the wind would be so strong to carry off a piece of burning fabric and set fire to that forest/shrub/bush. So sorry, didn't mean to set fire to the lighthouse. Seriously officer, I didn't mean to ..."

Buen Camino, SY

"Here is a drum/barrel, it is 'a bit windy' but lets burn our clothes/shoes anyway. Oops, I never imagined that the wind would be so strong to carry off a piece of burning fabric and set fire to that forest/shrub/bush. So sorry, didn't mean to set fire to the lighthouse. Seriously officer, I didn't mean to ..."

you are the reason I can no longer have beverages next to my keyboard

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back