• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Post Camino Blues

Kimberley Hall

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte September 2016
27 days, 602km, one trip to hospital and the best time of my life! People said before I walked the Camino Del Norte that this experience would change my life. Well they were not wrong. I arrived back yesterday and I don't know where I fit in this life I had before. Feeling very blue and dying to walk again. How does everyone else cope with coming home?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
27 days, 602km, one trip to hospital and the best time of my life! People said before I walked the Camino Del Norte that this experience would change my life. Well they were not wrong. I arrived back yesterday and I don't know where I fit in this life I had before. Feeling very blue and dying to walk again. How does everyone else cope with coming home?
Keeping in touch through this website helps me even one year post Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Feeling very blue and dying to walk again" ?!?
That proves only one thing - you are perfectly normal [for a peregrina!]
As you can see from the list under my picture
I've felt this way since 2011 ... and I already have the next TWO caminos decided. Which proves we are all either normal ..... or we're all completely bonkers!
Welcome to the club, Kimberley!​

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Kimberley, I think one of the things to do to help the blues is to keep walking a good amount everyday. As for the past 27 days your body has been use to all those healthy chemical releases we get by walking. I walk 10km a day and it makes a huge difference to my mental health. Buen Camino.

Kimberley,
two caminos, Frances and Portuguese. My insight is that the Camino does not end with Santiago or Finisterra. The Camino continues at home. In my morning meditations I ask Santiago (St James) to keep showing me the way. Simplifying my life at home is much more difficult than on the Camino. This may sound silly but I keep looking for yellow arrows. So far I have not been disappointed. I'm finding that the arrows come in many different colors and shapes.

I don't see your home country, but do check to see if you have a Camino chapter. Definitely what helped me was getting involved with our group here in Victoria, Canada. We have wonderful folks at the helm who plan several Camino gatherings in regional communities, bringing new Pilgrims together with those who have walked many of the Camino ways. Sharing your experience in this way can not only help others, but yourself as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walk to office and back most days... Sums up 12 kms, I take this time to listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks (there isn't much to appreciate in the views, living in Sao Paulo and all....)

That helps me a lot with all my anxieties, and kind of keeps me "in the camino"...

:cool::D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kimberley,
I came home yesterday after walking the Camino Portuges, from Porto to Santiago alone, and then Fisterra- Muxia with my husband. It was the first time I travelled alone and it was the best trip ever and I agree with you every word. I miss the Camino life so much, it was so easy though the walking wasn't always easy, aftherwards it was so easy. You only have to walk and follow the yellow friend. And I have met so many nice and kind people. I miss it. It is difficult being in normal life again, feel sad. And strange things like I didn't know exactly what clothes I had and what shoes in my wardrobe.......I hope I Will return back in a normal state of mind and being grateful for this beautiful journey....And I Will go another time again. Good luck for you !!!! Wish you all the best!

First time, I was lost and felt terrible too. I kept in touch with pilgrim-friends and planned another camino. I read great books about traveling, through a spiritual/poetical/philosophical perspective. Being busy everyday helped. Time too.
Second time, it was pretty much the same, without planning another camino. I started to think of what was "it" I found so much better on the Way than in "normal" life and became more aware of "it". I tried to see "it" in my "normal" life.
I've worked on that and still do. I'd put it this way... I try to keep the Camino's spirit alive in my heart and to bring it into my "normal" life.
Today, boundaries between "camino life" and "normal life" are not so distinct. I'm always on the Camino somehow, doing my best to keep its spirit alive through the way I am, look around me, act, meet/consider/treat people around me. I feel like I'm never really leaving the Camino. The Camino continues beyond the camino de Santiago.

Here's some inspiration... :)
"I will be a pilgrim. I will walk. While walking, the sun will heat my heart of stone, the rains will make of my desert a garden. By dint of wearing out my shoes, I will wear out my habits. I will walk, and my walk will become my path. I will less go to the end of the road than to the end of myself. I will be a pilgrim. I will not only go on a journey, I will become a journey myself, a true pilgrimage."
Jean Debruynne, Prayer of the Walker

Buen Camino!

full

I also had the feeling that the "old life" was not that great after coming back from my Camino Frances. However, I then remembered that it was the "old life" that allowed me to plan, save money, buy flight tickets and walk one of the best experiences ever. So I could start looking kindly at it again once I was back. If I was actually born and lived my whole life with only a backpack, 2 t-shirts and one pair of shoes, life would have been horrible, not a peaceful free-of-preocupation camino.

Of course, post-camino there were changes in my life - I keep way less stuff at home and worry much less about the unknown future. But in general, I appreciate even more the life I have because it allows me to plan and go for the Camino again and again and again. (Tickets to Portugues 2017 are booked, yay! :D)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Finished in May and immediately started planning for April 2017.
Will try the Portuguese Route this time. Loved the Frances route and miss my Camino family every day. Incredible longing to return forever actually.
Likewise on all counts ess1113. Might meet you on the Porto next year! Bom Caminho.

...forever planning the next camino. It´s now and again been put off by economical necessities, but still planning...
It is in the bag, the wish is your heart, and the future plans will always be there for your next endevour....
Trust us, we´ve done this before....

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Kimberley,
two caminos, Frances and Portuguese. My insight is that the Camino does not end with Santiago or Finisterra. The Camino continues at home. In my morning meditations I ask Santiago (St James) to keep showing me the way. Simplifying my life at home is much more difficult than on the Camino. This may sound silly but I keep looking for yellow arrows. So far I have not been disappointed. I'm finding that the arrows come in many different colors and shapes.
Ah, your above comment has made me very happy...I will look for the arrows everyday!!! Thanks

I know what everyone is talking about. I had mixed emotions as I was very excited before leaving and thought I might get disappointed.
I am not and started planning my next Camino in May 2017 from Portugal and I got back from the Camino Primitivo last night.

It truly changed me on so many levels.

Buen Camino.

I feel the same way, and I only did a small portion of the Camino. ( 6 days-120km-first time) I didnt expect to have such a rich, insightful, magical, mind blowing experience in such a short period of time. I can only imagine how displaced people feel who have gone for a whole month or more. I am missing the simplicity, the peacefulness, the wonder, the solitude, the discoveries, the olives and the cafe con leche. I just returned about a week ago, and every night I dream that I am walking. Planning my next Camino trip... soon. Hugs to everyone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re-entering the home orbit is always hard. Here’s a list of some of what I do:

Write. Journal my experience to capture its essence and help crystallise its meaning.

Communicate. Engage with others (and especially with friends made on the Camino) to share experiences, memories, thoughts.

Keep walking. Make space in my weeks for long walks, for their intrinsic emotional and spiritual benefits.

Nurture the new. Consciously work on making one or two of the changes I decided while I was away, no matter how small.

Live in the present. Easier said than done, but I try.

Good luck Kimberley with the next stage of your life's journey.

I had my first camino in May and was a total misfit when back in the office- had daydreams of arrows and my trekkingshoes.

I agree to Vlebe and Mark - it is a combination in my case of planning the new one, walking daily and trying to bring the experience into you real life. I think the biggest value of the camino is when u can carry on that spirit in your daily life.

hello Kimberly, I remember you posting your start. My friend and I walked about 10 days. We probably met at some point or stayed at the same albergue. Yes coming home is an adjustment. I can't wait until next year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I feel the same way, and I only did a small portion of the Camino. ( 6 days-120km-first time) I didnt expect to have such a rich, insightful, magical, mind blowing experience in such a short period of time. I can only imagine how displaced people feel who have gone for a whole month or more. I am missing the simplicity, the peacefulness, the wonder, the solitude, the discoveries, the olives and the cafe con leche. I just returned about a week ago, and every night I dream that I am walking. Planning my next Camino trip... soon. Hugs to everyone.
I recognise all the words you wrote!!! For me is was exactly the same after walking only 2 weeks from Porto to Santiago. Life was so easy and enjoying

Hi Kimberley

I just returned from Camino Frances in August this year from SJPDP to Finistere/Muxia and I loved the pilgrimage.... I met lots of people, including some forum members and everyone were just wonderful... I love the walking, being spontaneous, being able to decide the daily distance I walk and where I lay my head for the night.... yeah, so much so, I want to go back again, soon!

Hence, I have booked to go back to walk Porto to Santiago in November - December this year.... it is easy for me, as I live in London and air fares are not pricey!

Ginette

Hi Kimberley

I just returned from Camino Frances in August this year from SJPDP to Finistere/Muxia and I loved the pilgrimage.... I met lots of people, including some forum members and everyone were just wonderful... I love the walking, being spontaneous, being able to decide the daily distance I walk and where I lay my head for the night.... yeah, so much so, I want to go back again, soon!

Hence, I have booked to go back to walk Porto to Santiago in November - December this year.... it is easy for me, as I live in London and air fares are not pricey!

Ginette

Oh that is amazing and I can´t wait to read your experience as I will be doing this in May 2017.

Ultreia and greetings from Brighton

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know the feeling. I read and dreamed of my Camino for 30 years...and finally did my first from May to July of this year. Usually when you put so much into a dream the reality can be a let down. Not in this case...it was so much more than I could have imagined. It's not what you read it's what you feel. The embrace of the flow of pilgrims and wonderful people that live along the Camino. I can't speak a word of Spanish but managed many conversations with the locals. Charades, hand signals expression. If you speak from the heart the message gets heard.
A week after my return I headed to our Muskoka cottage here in Canada. I went waterskiing and dislocated my hip. I have a large labrel tear and am waiting on surgery. After being so active and completing my Camino with never a blister... her I lounge. I've been spending my time revisiting my experience on the Camino and missing the flow....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Dear Kimberly, All of the comments are right on target. I have walked it twice and I'm already thinking about #3. I find it valuable to find an "active listener" to communicate with. There will be many moments when you want a sympathetic ear. As mentioned in some of the comments, if you haven't walked the Camino, it is difficult to understand your feelings. No doubt, most, if not all of these forum members would be sympathetic listeners. Blessings, Bill

I know the feeling. I read and dreamed of my Camino for 30 years...and finally did my first from May to July of this year. Usually when you put so much into a dream the reality can be a let down. Not in this case...it was so much more than I could have imagined. It's not what you read it's what you feel. The embrace of the flow of pilgrims and wonderful people that live along the Camino. I can't speak a word of Spanish but managed many conversations with the locals. Charades, hand signals expression. If you speak from the heart the message gets heard.
A week after my return I headed to our Muskoka cottage here in Canada. I went waterskiing and dislocated my hip. I have a large labrel tear and am waiting on surgery. After being so active and completing my Camino with never a blister... her I lounge. I've been spending my time revisiting my experience on the Camino and missing the flow....
Ooo that must be hard for you. Wish you a good recovey, x

It is I got a call yesterday. Today I finally see the surgeon....fingers crossed for good news. I know it's going to get worse before it gets better... I just want to get moving again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To go from such a physical high and experience to lying around because I can't sit for long....my body and minds in shock. I love hiking and biking in the beautiful fall weather. The pictures and memories help :)

Hi Penny, I liked your post as you appeared to have had a great Camino, so happy for you. I am truly sorry you dislocated your hip.... hope you recover soon!

Ginette

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well everyone just got back from the surgeons visit. He says he hasn't seen such a shredded labrel tear in the thousands he's repaired. He states only a 50% chance for a positive outcome with repair surgery. He is going to attempt injections to try and help the discomfort. If this doesn't help.... surgery. If the repair doesn't work...total hip replacement. Wow ! Thank God I did my Camino first.
Still a little shocked. I refuse to believe I won't remedy this. Positive thoughts.
Buen Camino

Look what you have already achieved - I am sure you will go through this with flying flags as we say in my country. Buen Camino, SY

€83,-
Well everyone just got back from the surgeons visit. He says he hasn't seen such a shredded labrel tear in the thousands he's repaired. He states only a 50% chance for a positive outcome with repair surgery. He is going to attempt injections to try and help the discomfort. If this doesn't help.... surgery. If the repair doesn't work...total hip replacement. Wow ! Thank God I did my Camino first.
Still a little shocked. I refuse to believe I won't remedy this. Positive thoughts.
Buen Camino

All the best for you and a speedy and successful recovery.

My thoughts are with you.

Ultreia.

To go from such a physical high and experience to lying around because I can't sit for long....my body and minds in shock. I love hiking and biking in the beautiful fall weather. The pictures and memories help :)

I can totally relate. I came home from my Camino in early June only to have surgery a few days later. It was pre-planned that way, but to go from being in motion every day to sitting still to recover was VERY hard. I didn't know how hard it would be. I hope you are able to recover quickly. Maybe it is time to plan another walk when you feel better? I'm already looking at two possibilities for the future: Portugues or Primitivo

I can totally relate. I came home from my Camino in early June only to have surgery a few days later. It was pre-planned that way, but to go from being in motion every day to sitting still to recover was VERY hard. I didn't know how hard it would be. I hope you are able to recover quickly. Maybe it is time to plan another walk when you feel better? I'm already looking at two possibilities for the future: Portugues or Primitivo
E veryone at home thinks I'm a little crazy thinking of my next Camino when I'm waiting for surgery...of course they haven't done it so don't understand the pull to return.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Penny, I liked your post as you appeared to have had a great Camino, so happy for you. I am truly sorry you dislocated your hip.... hope you recover soon!

Ginette
It was incredible ! After my M.S. diagnosis I was told I couldn't do it by my Neurologist...proved him wrong . I refuse to believe I won't overcome this...I'll be back

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hope a speedy recovery for you as well....Buen Camino my fellow couch pilgrim

Wish you a good recovery and patience which must be hard I understand , good luck!!!

Buen Camino
Hope to see you at Some Camino sometimes somewhere! You Will come back!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was incredible ! After my M.S. diagnosis I was told I couldn't do it by my Neurologist...proved him wrong . I refuse to believe I won't overcome this...I'll be back

Well done @Penny Kingma ... that is the spirit!! And, I am sure you will be back!

Blessings ... G

I had my first camino in May and was a total misfit when back in the office- had daydreams of arrows and my trekkingshoes.

I agree to Vlebe and Mark - it is a combination in my case of planning the new one, walking daily and trying to bring the experience into you real life. I think the biggest value of the camino is when u can carry on that spirit in your daily life.
How are you Fatma? I remember reading you first post-Camino post. I still daydream about my next Camino. It is vaguely planned for next April/May; I hope it will work out, life and all taken into account!

How are you Fatma? I remember reading you first post-Camino post. I still daydream about my next Camino. It is vaguely planned for next April/May; I hope it will work out, life and all taken into account!
Hi Martha
Yes had a very intensive Camino blues- got a little better. Went a lot for weekend hiking just then to realize that they are not a substitute for a Camino.
İ am also planning for beginning of April again...
Which route will u take?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Martha
Yes had a very intensive Camino blues- got a little better. Went a lot for weekend hiking just then to realize that they are not a substitute for a Camino.
İ am also planning for beginning of April again...
Which route will u take?
I plan to go in late April/early May and to start in SJPP. I'd like to now walk the entire Camino Frances.

I am planning also for end april begin may for the entire Camino Frances. Can't wait, have a great Camino blues .
Buen Camino!:)

Muttering to self: I have to STOP reading this forum, I HAVE to.....

;););)
Here the same.... I am back and am homesick about a home which is not here at home but at the Camino. Most people don't understand and I am not try to explain. Also my husband :( who had joined my the last days from Santiago, he felt a outsider. Reading on the forum it is a bit like being on the Camino again. Thank you all peregrino's:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I finished the Camino a little over 2 weeks ago, and I've been back home for a week now. I spent a few days in Madrid, and I saw a few pilgrims at the train station, and one the street while I was there. I was ready to join them and get back on the Camino! Yesterday, while I was on a walk I even found a yellow arrow, which made me miss the Camino even more.:(yellow arrow on hillcrest.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.