• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Book Title about the Stars

Mary Garvey

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
Hopefully continue next year
Hi!

I read yesterday on this site about a book that someone else had read many times. It seems to be about the stars but also The camino.
Can you help me with title and author please?
Thank you
Mary x

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Might that book be To the Field of Stars by Kevin Codd?

Here is a fine review of the book from a 2011 Forum post.

My favorite Camino book: "To the Field Of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela" by Msgr. Kevin Codd, an American Catholic priest. I've read and reread it before, during and after walking the Camino. Brilliantly written it captures the essence of the Camino, the physical and the spiritual as the author takes you with him on the journey. You don't have to be a Catholic to relate to it, nor even particularly spiritual (but it might enhance your enjoyment of the book if you are at least somewhat so).

This post has been edited to add an exerpt included below from the book's introduction. The entire book lives up to the draw of this introduction.

“It may well come to pass that at a certain point in the course of a life that a person hears of stars dancing in a field at night. It is possible that such a story would be immediately dismissed as the stuff of childish fantasy or a piece of old wives’ tale not to be taken seriously in these modern times … It could also be that the image of stars coming low to the earth and performing a joyful circle dance in the dead of night might nevertheless capture a person’s imagination even if such an image might seem not to belong to the world of facts and history and our modern understanding of what transpires in the course of real life.

I am about to share here a story of stars at dance. May I advise you to exercise a modicum of caution in attending to what follows, for the story of stars dancing over a field in a faraway land may so draw you away from the ordinary business of daily life that you find yourself, quite to your surprise, in a new world of unexpected adventures and remarkable people and some very profound mysteries. If this should happen to you, if the story of stars playing above the dusty bones of an old saint should capture you in a strange field of gravity, it may well draw you out of your house, down the street, and out of town. And if you leave home to see these stars cavort for yourself it will surely change you. You will come to see that which was previously unseen. You will witness miracles. You will, in the end, find yourself coming to know what is most true about these brief lives we have been given to live out on this tender earth.

… if you have no interest in adventures of the spirit, or if you have no desire to ramble on foot across a fair piece of this earth’s lovely skin, then the story I am about to tell will not matter to you. If, on the other hand, the very thought of seeing stars dance piques your curiosity at some deep level of your soul, then pay attention to what follows, for the walk to the Field of Stars, to Santiago de Compostela, is a journey that has the power to change lives forever.”

Field of Stars
Msgr. Kevin Codd

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thank you Mspath. I have now ordered this book and look forward to reading it.
Thank you again.
Mary

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I read it again last month on the flight to my Camino. Good book.

Can you experienced Camino pilgrims give your opinion on whether it might be more rewarding to read "To the Field of Stars" after completing the Camino for the first time, or even while on the Camino? Or, as I suspect, it is a good read any time. Thanks.

IMHO it is good to read any time. It is written by a Catholic priest and I feel he is quite candid about his experience, challenges, failures, etc. My Mother read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it and she has not walked a Camino though she has been to a few of the towns including Burgos, Leon, and Santiago de Compostela as part of a pilgrimage with a church group.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!

I read yesterday on this site about a book that someone else had read many times. It seems to be about the stars but also The camino.
Can you help me with title and author please?
Thank you
Mary x
There is a beautiful book called 'The Field of the Star' by Nicholas Luard. It's his account of his pilgrimage and his reflections on his relationship with his daughter who was dying from cancer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back