• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stuck in Bayonne

Ketil

Time of past OR future Camino
Hell. This was supposed to be the day before my first day of the Camino. Due to a delayed plane, I missed the last train to St Jean Pied de Port. My friend who was already there got me in touch with a very nice and cheap albergue. Which I can recommend to others. The email address is: aguierresal@aguierre.fr. Deeply appreciated in what almost turned out to be a very bad start of the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Ketil. Bayonne is not Hell, it is actually a beautiful resort town that many people love. Nor is this a "very bad start"; it is just the Camino exerting its influence and telling you who is boss! Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hell. This was supposed to be the day before my first day of the Camino. Due to a delayed plane, I missed the last train to St Jean Pied de Port. My friend who was already there got me in touch with a very nice and cheap albergue. Which I can recommend to others. The email address is: aguierresal@aguierre.fr. Deeply appreciated in what almost turned out to be a very bad start of the Camino.

First train leaves at 0745 and arrives 0843. That gives you lots of time to get to Roncesvalles.

Doesn't airline travel just make you want to stay home?

Hi, Ketil,

Is this albergue in Bayonne or in SJPdP and they picked you up? What's the full name, because I can't find anything apart of the surnames "aguierre(sal)" on google? Might be handy for future pilgrims.

Thanks and Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes @Bradypus, I have too! I have a photo of the name on the platform of the train station.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Ketil , Bayonne is not realy Hell.As already stated it is a nice town.
Wish you well,Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Hamlet Act 2 scene 2

Your Camino has definitely started! ;) Glad that you found a nice albergue to stay in.

Life moves very fast. It rushes from Heaven to Hell in a matter of seconds.
Paulo Coelho

Very soon you will be on your Way. Heaven awaits!

Dude! Count your blessings...really, do...

One is NEVER "stuck" in Bayonne, France. However, one CAN be stuck in Bayonne, New Jersey, USA. I know, because I grew up near there. Trust me, Bayonne in France is like Paris on the Bay of Biscay by comparison...

You will be on Camino soon enough. If this is the worst event that occurs during your pilgrimage, you are indeed a lucky person.

Each day brings new adventures, experiences, and learning. This was lesson "numero uno..." Learn to just roll with what the day brings.

Also, please remember that the first day out of St. Jean Pied de Port are the most difficult segment of the entire Camino Frances. The first 8-9 km are very steep, right out of the proverbial "starting blocks." Pace yourself.

We all wish you a very happy, and uneventful Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hell.jpg Coming to think of it, I actually found a real (and very good) Hell in one of my pilgrimages.

Last edited:
In our case, it was delayed luggage :) And so, my niece and I missed the last Saturday train by 5 minutes. Oh well; we found two trekkers in the same boat, split the cab fare 4 ways and made it to St. Jean hours ahead of the train :)

Enjoy your Camino!!
All of it!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You must realize by the posts up to now, that your forum brothers and sisters are giving you their most ardent support. When you look back at it, and see that it in its true perspective, you can do the same for others.

My friend who was already there got me in touch with a very nice and cheap albergue. Which I can recommend to others. The email address is: aguierresal@aguierre.fr.

What is the name of this albergue please, and where exactly is it? In Bayonne? Thanks! Jill

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What is the name of this albergue please, and where exactly is it? In Bayonne? Thanks! Jill
Ketil wasn't back till her/his first visit/post on Tuesday. I sent an e-mail to posted address but it was unknown. I guess we just have to wait until the OP shows up again...

What I would give to be stranded in Bayonne today!!

We had 4 nights there after doing Norte/Primitivo.
I think the Fetes of Bayonne received 1,000,000 visitors in early August.
We love the town.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For those who asked about the address or name of this albergue, I spelled the email address as the hostess showed me. My Spanish was only very basic, and the hostess didn't know any English at all. The friend who was waiting for me in St Jean translated back and forth over the phone. Trying to aprendi español along the Way! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Doesn't airline travel just make you want to stay home?

No - airline travel does not want to make you stay home. If there were not planes - we from down under would have to allow 3 or 4 weeks extra travel time by ship (its far to far to swim). I rarely travel where I have really tight deadlines - so as Kanga said - enjoy the delay(s) and put them down to experience.

No - airline travel does not want to make you stay home. If there were not planes - we from down under would have to allow 3 or 4 weeks extra travel time by ship (its far to far to swim). I rarely travel where I have really tight deadlines - so as Kanga said - enjoy the delay(s) and put them down to experience.

Tell him it was a 2 year journey from Europe by boat.in the old days Mike
The plane fares today a cheaper than 15 years ago
The best university in the world is TRAVEL giving respect to the country and learning a new culture.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back