• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Notes: Camino San Salvador September 2016

Kevin F. O*brien

Time of past OR future Camino
2002-2019 Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Via de la plata, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, etc.
Updates from the Camino San Salvador. 24-28. september 2016.
La Robla. As usual completely first class. Can still recommend the meson in the middle of town near the Ayuntamiento for a good meal.
Note: Panaderia and food shop is open in Pola de Gordon on a Sunday. Centre of town. Still no food to be bought at Buiza.
Poladura de Tercia. Most unfortunately there would appear to be bedbugs here. Two complained of bites.
Also. You may order food from the Casa Rural, and it's good. But you must carry it to, and consume it in the refugio. If you like you can carry food from Pola de Gordon. The kitchen in the ref. is well equipped.
Payares. First class. Good food also. Marisa will make you a lovely meal, but ring beforehand.
Buendueños. Arguably one of the best refugios in the country. Good food, incredible location after a heavenly walk through the forests. Ring Hospitalera Sandra and she will pick you up at Herias. (500m before Campomanes)
Mieres. Haha, muy muy sencillo. But it functions. Good place to get the mud off your clothes after the hills. There's a good simple hostal/restaurant on the right past a roundabout about 400 metres further on . No need to walk back to town.
Realtively new private refugio "La Princesa" in Covadonga Street in the centre of Oviedo. Very simple but no time limits, and 300 metres from the Cathedral.
There it is. Y otra vez, muchisimas gracias a Ender y sus amigos por buen señalizacion y informaciön

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buendueños. Arguably one of the best refugios in the country. Good food, incredible location after a heavenly walk through the forests. Ring Hospitalera Sandra and she will pick you up at Herias. (500m before Campomanes)
Definitely one of the best albergue (and hospitalera ;)) experiences I've ever had!!!

Realtively new private refugio "La Princesa" in Covadonga Street in the centre of Oviedo. Very simple but no time limits, and 300 metres from the Cathedral.
Price?

Thanks for posting it Kevin!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definitely one of the best albergue (and hospitalera ;)) experiences I've ever had!!!

Price?

Thanks for the kind words!! Price at the ref in Covadonga street, most probably La Peregrina, NOT La Princesa, is eight Euros. Try to have the exact money to save waiting for change. ALSO baren La Quinta Avenida is two meters from the door. Good food/service.

I think Kevin means La Peregrina. http://www.hostallaperegrina.com. I always stay in a hotel in Oviedo (since booking always has last minute offers that are too sweet to pass up for my tired body), but I have heard it is fine and the prices are decent.

Kevin, was this part of a longer camino or did you have a quick Salvador getaway? Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks for the correction Laurie, you are quite right!! No, I just put my sister on the Camino Frances. Walked a couple of days with her to Orbigo. Then walked the Salvador from Leon because it is just so much fun to walk!! Back to the Camino Mozarabe, next year. Almeria or Granada. We'll see!! Lovely to hear from you and well done on the Ebro!!

I think Kevin means La Peregrina. http://www.hostallaperegrina.com. I always stay in a hotel in Oviedo (since booking always has last minute offers that are too sweet to pass up for my tired body), but I have heard it is fine and the prices are decent.

Kevin, was this part of a longer camino or did you have a quick Salvador getaway? Buen camino, Laurie
Ah, I know the La Peregrina, stayed there this year for two nights. Thanks, Laurie!

EDIT: And Kevin :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the correction Laurie, you are quite right!! No, I just put my sister on the Camino Frances. Walked a couple of days with her to Orbigo. Then walked the Salvador from Leon because it is just so much fun to walk!! Back to the Camino Mozarabe, next year. Almeria or Granada. We'll see!! Lovely to hear from you and well done on the Ebro!!

Well if you would just wait a year, my plan is to start in Almeria in April 2018. I just can't leave early enough next year, so I'll be doing something shorter. Either the Camino from Arles or the Baztan and the Norte. I am so undecided!!!

Ah, I know the La Peregrina, stayed there this year for two nights. Thanks, Laurie!

EDIT: And Kevin :)
Haha KinkyOne, I'm glad to hear you like the "Peregrina" Very basic, but it works! BTW thanks so much for a link (I think it was) you published a while ago, with a song called "Dime donde vas morena". I still play it and try to sing along. AND all the other songs! Now you know where my sympathies are!!!

Well if you would just wait a year, my plan is to start in Almeria in April 2018. I just can't leave early enough next year, so I'll be doing something shorter. Either the Camino from Arles or the Baztan and the Norte. I am so undecided!!!

Okay I'll see what happens. I would love to have a chat with the Amigos in Almeria and discuss one or two points. Great to see there are now albergues in La Rioja (means you can start late from Almeria) and in Honeja, because then you don't need to walk out to the Carreterra. It really is an indescribably beautiful walk Laurie. The Alpujarras in the distance in the early morning...... And, the first thing you see when arriving in Granada is the Alhambra. Spent a lovely morning at Lorcas house, and strangely, it's so much better when you've walked there!
NB. Good place to stay in Almeria. Hotel Sevilla. Central, reasonable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Price?

Thanks Kinks. It was eight Euros at the La Princesa. It's unmanned largely, but you have your own key to the street door and the ref. Not the absolute best of refugios, but its very central.

Updates from the Camino San Salvador. 24-28. september 2016.
La Robla. As usual completely first class. Can still recommend the meson in the middle of town near the Ayuntamiento for a good meal.
Note: Panaderia and food shop is open in Pola de Gordon on a Sunday. Centre of town. Still no food to be bought at Buiza.
Poladura de Tercia. Most unfortunately there would appear to be bedbugs here. Two complained of bites.
Also. You may order food from the Casa Rural, and it's good. But you must carry it to, and consume it in the refugio. If you like you can carry food from Pola de Gordon. The kitchen in the ref. is well equipped.
Payares. First class. Good food also. Marisa will make you a lovely meal, but ring beforehand.
Mieres. Haha, muy muy sencillo. But it functions. Good place to get the mud off your clothes after the hills. There's a good simple hostal/restaurant on the right past a roundabout about 400 metres further on . No need to walk back to town.
There it is. Y otra vez, muchisimas gracias a Ender y sus amigos por buen señalizacion y informaciön
Do you know the albergue with Marisa in Pajares? My spanish is not that good - would love an email address, but telephone number would be fantastic too. Do you know the name of this place?

If you stay at the albergue in La Robla the email addresses and phone numbers for Poladura and Pajares are posted on the walls with notes stating you should call to confirm a bed and food.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you know the albergue with Marisa in Pajares? My spanish is not that good - would love an email address, but telephone number would be fantastic too. Do you know the name of this place?
According to Gronze.com there is only one albergue in Pajares. I didn't stop there when I did the Salvador in June - I walked from Poladura to Campomanes.

If you stay at the albergue in La Robla the email addresses and phone numbers for Poladura and Pajares are posted on the walls with notes stating you should call to confirm a bed and food.
Thank you x

Hi Kelly and thanks for the question. The ref in Pajares is the municipal and, as mentioned the telephone number is on the wall at the ref in LA Robla. If not it is also on WWW.gronze.com under Camino Salvador. Marisa will be very glad if you can ring, so she knows you are coming and if you would like a meal. Buen Camino Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back