• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bla Bla Car

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Recently two Bla Bla Car users were fined for sharing a ride. Here is a protest from Bla Bla Car community:
"Recientemente han aparecido en prensa noticias sobre posibles sanciones a dos usuarios y a BlaBlaCar por parte de la Comunidad de Madrid. En este sentido, ayer nos reunimos con la Dirección General de Transportes de la Comunidad de Madrid para:

1. Expresar nuestra indignación ante unas sanciones que son inaceptables. Se acusa a nuestros usuarios, que comparten coche para ver con más frecuencia a sus familiares, de estar intentando lucrarse. Como vosotros bien sabéis, no existe ánimo de lucro en quien viaja 2000 km al mes para ver a sus hijos o a sus padres.
  2. Reclamar que BlaBlaCar pueda operar en Madrid con la misma normalidad con la que lo hace en el resto de Europa. El derecho de la Unión Europea ampara la libertad de BlaBlaCar de prestar sus servicios en España de la misma manera que en Francia, Alemania o Italia, por ejemplo.
  3. Comunicar nuestra decisión de presentar una denuncia ante la Comisión Europea por la vulneración del Derecho Europeo a la libre prestación de servicios y a la libertad de establecimiento de BlaBlaCar dentro del territorio de la Unión Europea.
Sus actuaciones estarían limitando el derecho a compartir coche de los casi 500.000 usuarios que somos sólo en la Comunidad de Madrid. BlaBlaCar es una red social de viajes en coche compartido. No somos una empresa de transporte y nuestro modelo no es en absoluto nuevo. Llevamos casi 7 años operando en España, somos más de 3 millones de usuarios en todo el país y nunca ninguna administración ha cuestionado la legalidad de lo que hacemos.

Queremos transmitiros un mensaje de tranquilidad: nosotros apoyamos a los dos usuarios afectados. En ningún caso estos conductores han incumplido la ley. Compartir los gastos de un viaje es legal. Es un derecho de todos por el que vamos a luchar hasta el final. Contad con ello.

No queremos que queden dudas sobre nuestra posición ni en Madrid, ni en el resto de España. Os animamos a que deis difusión a este comunicado.

Muchísimas gracias por vuestro apoyo. Seguiremos compartiendo muchos kilómetros juntos."

I can't copy/paste nglish Google Translation here. Could someone else try that, please? Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Google results are always, at least indicative of the original text:

"Recently they have appeared in press reports about possible penalties and two users sharing trip by the Community of Madrid In this regard, yesterday we met with the General Directorate of Transport of the Community of Madrid.:

Express our indignation at sanctions that are unacceptable. our users, carpoolers to see more often to their families, of trying to make a profit are accused. As you well know, there is no profit in who travels 2000 km a month to see their children or their parents.
Claiming that can operate in Madrid sharing trip with the same normality with which it does in the rest of Europe. The European Union law protects the freedom to provide services sharing trip in Spain in the same way as in France, Germany or Italy, for example.
Communicate our decision to file a complaint with the European Commission for violation of EU law on freedom to provide services and freedom of establishment sharing trip within the territory of the European Union.
His performances would restrict the right to drive to the nearly 500,000 users who are only in the Community of Madrid share. Is a social network sharing trip travel in car sharing. We are not a transport company and our model is not at all new. We have almost 7 years operating in Spain, we are more than 3 million users across the country and never any administration has questioned the legality of what we do.

We want to convey a message of reassurance: we support the two affected users. In any case these drivers have broken the law. Share the cost of a trip is legal. It is a right of all for which we will fight until the end. Count on it.

We do not want to be no doubt about our position or Madrid, or in the rest of Spain. We encourage you to give publicity to this statement.

Thank you for your support. We continue to share many kilometers together. "

Members will be aware that plying-for-hire without a licence is illegal in most EU jurisdictions and that while sharing a ride, and costs, with friends, acquaintances and work-mates is not regarded as plying-for-hire some courts have interpreted advertising 'seats' at a fixed charge un-related to shared cost is plying-for-hire and therefore subject to licensing and insurance requirements. All users might wish to consider whether they would wish to be conveyed by an unlicensed and un-vetted driver who may not have valid insurance. You can be sure that most insurers will have an eye to liability avoidance where the opportunity arises.

Be careful out there ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, that's doesn't tell anything about the (Uber) drivers. The killer could've been (and were) a taxi driver, bus conductor, an accountant, mafia hitman, loving father, high-school teacher etc. ;)
true...although we generally don't get into a car with an unknown accountant, hitman, or high school teacher :)
Uber and Lyft have a long string of assault, battery, theft, and sexual assault charges against their drivers...the screening process is not as robust as it is for a taxi service, although I will grant you taxi drivers commit (and are victims of) crimes also. For the taxi drivers who have invested in a medallion, that says they have something significant to loose if caught. Some Uber or Lyft drivers just change ride-sharing companies when caught. I think it is risky to get into a private car with a stranger when you are in a foreign country and/or don't know the area...but I was raised not to hitch hike, either.

I noticed inconsistencies like this, across Spanish culture and society, since I first starting spending significant time in Spain, related to my Camino activities. Nearly every day, some "Catch 22" type scenario would present itself and cause me to observe and comment.

At first it amused me. Then it would sometimes annoy me, as the rationale I learned for the practice or rule was inconsistent, irrational, or just ill-thought out, at least IMHO. Then, after a few years of this, I began to better understand the culture, society, and the top-down, all powerful, central governments in Madrid or in the self-governing autonomous regions, that control virtually every aspect of a Spaniard's existence.

Let me be straight and concise here. I love Spain and the Spanish people. I am unable to enjoy the food - much of it - but that does not reduce my pleasure at being in Spain. In the US, I even moved to live in a former part of the Spanish Empire (Florida). However, it also make me glad I am an American...at least until this coming Election Day...but I digress....

I have evolved to the point that when confronted by something like this during my couple of months spent in Spain each year, all I can do is roll my eyes, look to the heavens and quip "Viva l'Espana."

I hope this helps...and amuses...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Smallest_Sparrow
You are comparing the situation in the US with the situation here in Europe - two different worlds, really. You might also want to re-consider how helpful/relevant your posts are regarding the OPs original post/intention.
SY

true...although we generally don't get into a car with an unknown accountant, hitman, or high school teacher :)
Uber and Lyft have a long string of assault, battery, theft, and sexual assault charges against their drivers...the screening process is not as robust as it is for a taxi service, although I will grant you taxi drivers commit (and are victims of) crimes also. For the taxi drivers who have invested in a medallion, that says they have something significant to loose if caught. Some Uber or Lyft drivers just change ride-sharing companies when caught. I think it is risky to get into a private car with a stranger when you are in a foreign country and/or don't know the area...but I was raised not to hitch hike, either.
Can only second @SYates reply.
Furthermore I'm a registered Bla Bla Car user and I nearly lost my nerves this summer going through registration process. So much cross-checking, ugh. And I'm a user, not the one offering a ride. Those that offer car rides go through even more personal details, credit card included (you can pay the share with them) etc.
Anyway, it's not Uber, it's just helping people with sharing cost of a ride. Helping them (fares are limited according to distances!) and yourself as well.

Blabla Car is a "shared cost" means of travel, hence the protest text against the fee. Someone who offers a seat on their website do it from a sharing-cost perspective (minus the handful of people who try to abuse the system, which happens with any system), even more certainly since they charge for the service. @Tincatinker, your note is true and thoughtful but doesn't concern Blabla Car's services. A little confusing here maybe? :rolleyes:

I believe total security and safety don't exist: bad stuffs can happen anywhere and anytime... It's true anywhere but feels more obvious when traveling in unknown places. Guts, thinking and caution always help. Checking the prices, the driver's profile and the passengers' commentaries give one a good idea about how honest and safe the drive may be.
I've used carpooling communities for 6 years, done dozens of rides and had zero problems. Not saying bad things can't happen or telling if one should use this kind of service or not. Just that good stuffs happen too ;)

A bit off-topic, @t2andreo, I think I get what you wanted to say, but feel a bit uneasy with the how... I'm not Spanish, but I felt a little like looked down from an almighty, "evolved" and cynical USA...
I hear it's humorous, but how about replacing all "Spain/ish" by "USA/American", "Madrid" by "Washington", "autonomous communities" by "federal states", "a former part of the Spanish Empire (Florida)" by "a US territory (Puerto Rico)" and "Viva l'Espana" by "God bless America"
I believe the text would be just as accurate this way... If one (Americans) still think it's all good laugh, well ok, my sense of humor is just different :) If it suddenly isn't so funny.........

And, is really a 1500s-1819 partial Spanish occupation of Florida a proof of appreciation of nowadays Spain? I think the Latin communities in the world will agree with me as I :eek: at this humorous part! (Maybe they'll even :mad:, but I'll remain just :confused:)
;)

full

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Blabla Car is a "shared cost" means of travel, hence the protest text against the fee. Someone who offers a seat on their website do it from a sharing-cost perspective (minus the handful of people who try to abuse the system, which happens with any system), even more certainly since they charge for the service. @Tincatinker, your note is true and thoughtful but doesn't concern Blabla Car's services. A little confusing here maybe? :rolleyes:

I believe total security and safety don't exist: bad stuffs can happen anywhere and anytime... It's true anywhere but feels more obvious when traveling in unknown places. Guts, thinking and caution always help. Checking the prices, the driver's profile and the passengers' commentaries give one a good idea about how honest and safe the drive may be.
I've used carpooling communities for 6 years, done dozens of rides and had zero problems. Not saying bad things can't happen or telling if one should use this kind of service or not. Just that good stuffs happen too ;)

A bit off-topic, @t2andreo, I think I get what you wanted to say, but feel a bit uneasy with the how... I'm not Spanish, but I felt a little like looked down from an almighty, "evolved" and cynical USA...
I hear it's humorous, but how about replacing all "Spain/ish" by "USA/American", "Madrid" by "Washington", "autonomous communities" by "federal states", "a former part of the Spanish Empire (Florida)" by "a US territory (Puerto Rico)" and "Viva l'Espana" by "God bless America"
I believe the text would be just as accurate this way... If one (Americans) still think it's all good laugh, well ok, my sense of humor is just different :) If it suddenly isn't so funny.........

And, is really a 1500s-1819 partial Spanish occupation of Florida a proof of appreciation of nowadays Spain? I think the Latin communities in the world will agree with me as I :eek: at this humorous part! (Maybe they'll even :mad:, but I'll remain just :confused:)
;)

full
I bow my head to your thinking! I'm with you all the way (although I didn't experienced USA by now). I guess you've got broader view living in Europe.

But OTOH don't really want this thread to become kind of political issue. Can't remember (and I don't care to search for it at the moment) which Forum rule covers that. But I'm somewhat sure we are getting in there.

Anyway, thanks for posting!!!

@KinkyOne, I totally agree on the political issue (even if there were no forum rule against it). It was never my intent to go down that road (don't even like politics) and I thought more than twice before posting.
I still did because the Camino is an international meeting ground: talks/jokes about cultures can be sensitive and produce mixed feelings... More than political, I was thinking international cultures smooth cohabitation ;)

full

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back