• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why am I having 2nd thoughts about CP

Yarma

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Aug-Sept (2013) completed in 26 days yayyyyyyyy
Looking for next Camino
I have completed CSF solo and other trips solo. For some reason I am really anxious about leaving Aust for Lisbon for my walk to SDC, in 2 days time. To the point where I will not get on the plane. Not sure what is happening ???
I haven't packed or anything..... I need some kicks up the ( insert word)

Yelppppppp

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
KICK! Kick! kick!

If there is nothing that keeps you home, just take it step by step and reevaluate after each. Pack, travel to airport, take plane, enjoy Lisbon, walk one day, walk second day and so on. Breaking it up in manageable steps and telling yourself that you can stop anytime might help. Buen Camino, SY

I find generalised anxiety is always soothed by a couple of kilometres walking uphill - it's the "flight or fight" response and for me it works.

If you can put your finger on what specifically is making you fearful, that might help. A bit of intellectual analysis and some sensible self talk about risk v reward.

Having said that, you can bail out of this enterprise at any time. Anytime.

But I am SOOOO envious that you are about to go walk. So you carry me with you all the way!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have completed CSF solo and other trips solo. For some reason I am really anxious about leaving Aust for Lisbon for my walk to SDC, in 2 days time. To the point where I will not get on the plane. Not sure what is happening ???

Yelppppppp
Hi Yarma,

Sending a few more cyber kicks at your request. In seriousness though, I think we all have anxiety and downs no matter how many Camino's we walked. I'm coming up on Camino number 16 or so, and I always feel those nerves inside. As Kanga says though, once you start walking, it all just falls away.

You have put this post in the coastal Camino from Lisbon section. If that is in fact the route you're walking, you should probably make sure you have a good maps, because I have heard that it is kind of daunting. If you're taking the central route north from Lisbon though, up through Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra and into Porto, The route is very well marked and you will probably meet a few pilgrims like yourself along the way. (and PS, if you haven't done so already,take a look at the two guides in the resources section, most recently edited by Johnny Walker. They are up-to-date and have the comments and advice from many recent pilgrims).

Bom caminho. Let us know how it goes!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Portuguese Camino from Lisbon is a wonderful experience. My wife Mary and I walked it in 2015 and wrote a daily blog at candmcamino.blogspot

Take some quiet time and try to unravel exactly what you are anxious about. Perhaps a sheet of paper and some headings to separate out the different aspects e.g. anxiety scale of 1-10 for the plane flight, solo walk, Camino Portuguese, expectations of a second Camino etc

As Kanga says, if you can name the fear you will be in a better position to deal with it one way or another and even if that decision is to stay home, it's yours to make and NOT to have to justify.

That said, we travel a lot and each time as the departure date approaches, I get the anxiety-don't-can't-should-shouldn't go. I don't fight it but let it run its course without judgement or comment and it has always passed and we've gone on to have some memorable trips.

That first flight out of Australia is always such a stress and anxiety release - nothing more to do, no point in worrying.

Good luck with your decision and Bom Caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is some sage advise in the previous posts. Try to identify what is causing the anxiety, but don't get anxious about not being able to identify the cause. You will eventually figure it out or assimilate over time. Is there anything that compels you to stay at home? Did you enjoy your last camino? Can you make the trip without expectation, and embrace whatever it provides? Can you reflect on the positives to create a new perspective?

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” ... H.P. Lovecraft

Lastly, here is your KICK IN THE ARSE!
upload_2016-10-21_10-43-12.png

I find generalised anxiety is always soothed by a couple of kilometres walking uphill - it's the "flight or fight" response and for me it works.

If you can put your finger on what specifically is making you fearful, that might help. A bit of intellectual analysis and some sensible self talk about risk v reward.

Having said that, you can bail out of this enterprise at any time. Anytime.

But I am SOOOO envious that you are about to go walk. So you carry me with you all the way!
Hi Kanga
It's the god awful long flight from Australia that is putting me off I think.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As an Aussie that has just walked up from Porto,,,,just start walking and it will all be ok
Thanks mate.
I have a long flight with long stop overs that is causing me the most angst. Just so ooooooooo long

There is some sage advise in the previous posts. Try to identify what is causing the anxiety, but don't get anxious about not being able to identify the cause. You will eventually figure it out or assimilate over time. Is there anything that compels you to stay at home? Did you enjoy your last camino? Can you make the trip without expectation, and embrace whatever it provides? Can you reflect on the positives to create a new perspective?

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown” ... H.P. Lovecraft

Lastly, here is your KICK IN THE ARSE!
View attachment 29781
Nice
That hit the spot.

The Portuguese Camino from Lisbon is a wonderful experience. My wife Mary and I walked it in 2015 and wrote a daily blog at candmcamino.blogspot
Hi
Thanks for your help. Will definitely check out your blog.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Yarma, if you’re still feeling anxious when you get to Lisbon, send a PM to @amsimoes (wonderful Lisbon-ite and forum member) and he’ll give you any assistance you need, I am sure of that. He goes above and beyond to help pilgrims who land in his glorious city.
I’ve walked 2 caminos in Portugal and loved them both. As everyone else has said - just take it in small bites and know that you can bus/train/stop any time you feel like it. Buen camino, Grace

Yes it is a long couple of flights !!! BUT. I'm now having my cafe and croissant breakfast,,my pack is next to me,,,and just as the sun arrives I will be walking,,,,after Oporto to Muxia,,decided to walk the Camino English as well,,,whilst so far away!!!!

@Yarma, if you’re still feeling anxious when you get to Lisbon, send a PM to @amsimoes (wonderful Lisbon-ite and forum member) and he’ll give you any assistance you need, I am sure of that. He goes above and beyond to help pilgrims who land in his glorious city.
I’ve walked 2 caminos in Portugal and loved them both. As everyone else has said - just take it in small bites and know that you can bus/train/stop any time you feel like it. Buen camino, Grace
I agree with you. Aurelio Simões (aka@amsimoes)is a very nice person in first place and knows everything about Lisbon and the caminho Português. He gave us a tour around the city earlier this year. A lovely and charming person.

We too walked the caminho Português twice , once from Lisbon, once from Porto and we loved it.
Portugal is a beautiful country, the Portuguese people are very kind and helpfull, the food is great and the wines even better.

It is easy to start from Lisbon. The distances are reasonable and if there is a distance too far , there is allways a solution by public transport, a taxi or a helpfull hospitaleiro of an albergue.

Bom caminho

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Boy oh boy @Yarma do I ever identify with that issue of the long flights. Simply loathe them. I hate flying at the best of times - and to face 26 hours of it....
But it is like medicine. Just swallow it down. You know it will do you good in the end.

I have just bought my tickets for next year.

Thanks mate.
I have a long flight with long stop overs that is causing me the most angst. Just so ooooooooo long
Have an overnighter somewhere on the way (Singapore, Dubai, Hong Kong....) most time it will only cost you the price of the hotel. Worth every cent. We have been to Europe from Australia to walk Caminos for the past three years and have always had an overnighter each way. It's just toooo far.

Boy oh boy @Yarma do I ever identify with that issue of the long flights. Simply loathe them. I hate flying at the best of times - and to face 26 hours of it....
But it is like medicine. Just swallow it down. You know it will do you good in the end.

I have just bought my tickets for next year.
Where are you walking next year Kanga?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Plans not finalised yet but we are thinking Camino de Madrid, Salvadore and Primitivo. Or part thereof. We arrive in Madrid 19 April - will spend a few days there to recover from the flight and enjoy the city.

So with you there. Done it once. Completely lost my nerve about doing it a second time. But have now booked flights and intermediate hotels for next April. Can sympathise about the long flight from Australia. Have decided it is one step at a time. Breaking it down into do-able chunks and only worrying about the next leg is the way to go. You've done your homework. You know you can walk. You know you can thrive as a pilgrim walking to Santiago. You've made your bookings. You've got it all planned. Put on your walking shoes. Tighten the laces. Backpack comfortably on your back. Deep breath. Shoulders back. You'll ace it!

Thanks mate.
My sister hates flying. She has major anxiety each time she comes to visit. She takes a Xanax before the flight to help with the anxiety. I have a friend that flies to the Philippines from the states. It is a long flight ... maybe not quite as long as yours, but he takes 2 ambien before the flight. I have used Tylenol PM on long flights to Hawaii and Europe to help sleep on the plane and reduce jet lag. I don't think this is an uncommon issue. We all need help with something, and knowing what that something is allows us to ask for help. Maybe a discussion with your primary care physician would provide a solution to your anxiety about the flight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree- the flights are daunting. Try not to overthink it- just do each thing that needs to be done each day- and soon you will be stepping out in that Camino- and loving it. L

If ever I am a little anxious about doing something, this is my method to get me going....
I just think of the big "NIKE" swoosh that you see on all the Nike brand sports wear and the accompanying Nike slogan that goes with it.... "Just do it"
That is my way of giving me the proverbial kick up the bum to get going.
Cheers and all the best.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Yelppppppp
Hello, Yarma. I'm one to express gratitude, and I'm indeed grateful for my journey, but at this moment, one month after returning from my Camino, I'm a little envious, and I wish I could join you. Remember how you felt when you returned from your Camino and how you wanted to return? At least I'm thinking that's why you planned your present pilgrimage in Portugal. Hope you can recapture and remember those feelings. Apprehension and courage both go with the territory, but remember you're a pilgrim and have walked hundreds of kilometers already. Wishing you Buen Camino and one step at a time.

G'day Yarma!
We've recently booked our flights from Wellington.NZ to Lisbon - 26:30 flying, 11:00 waiting on the deck for the next flight, so I know your pain on the flying bit - we're planning on 2 nights in Lisbon to recover before walking out...
Buen Camino, and Blessings, Peter :)

Yelppppppp
We returned two weeks ago from Camino Portugues. Love, love, loved it. Portugal and Galicia are gorgeous and the people caring for the pilgrims are friendly.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That is great to hear Colleen and Jack.
Im waiting to board my ggrrrrrrr long flight from Australia as we speak.
Im looking forward to getting going now.
Except I just saw the exchange for the Euro. Yikes

G'day Yarma!
We've recently booked our flights from Wellington.NZ to Lisbon - 26:30 flying, 11:00 waiting on the deck for the next flight, so I know your pain on the flying bit - we're planning on 2 nights in Lisbon to recover before walking out...
Buen Camino, and Blessings, Peter :)
We may bump into each other. I'll be the one sitting on a rock tending my blisters
Waiting to board flight as we speak.
Adios

Hello, Yarma. I'm one to express gratitude, and I'm indeed grateful for my journey, but at this moment, one month after returning from my Camino, I'm a little envious, and I wish I could join you. Remember how you felt when you returned from your Camino and how you wanted to return? At least I'm thinking that's why you planned your present pilgrimage in Portugal. Hope you can recapture and remember those feelings. Apprehension and courage both go with the territory, but remember you're a pilgrim and have walked hundreds of kilometers already. Wishing you Buen Camino and one step at a time.
Yes that is what I'm resurrecting, how I missed being on the Camino after I got home. I'm just whinging about how long I have to sit in confinement on the flight. Thanks again for your encouragement x

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My sister hates flying. She has major anxiety each time she comes to visit. She takes a Xanax before the flight to help with the anxiety. I have a friend that flies to the Philippines from the states. It is a long flight ... maybe not quite as long as yours, but he takes 2 ambien before the flight. I have used Tylenol PM on long flights to Hawaii and Europe to help sleep on the plane and reduce jet lag. I don't think this is an uncommon issue. We all need help with something, and knowing what that something is allows us to ask for help. Maybe a discussion with your primary care physician would provide a solution to your anxiety about the flight.
Yes thanks you for the tips regarding the flight. I just have to harden up, if I want to do these adventures from Australia, then it has to be done. Cheers

Ok everyone....
I'm in Lisbon. Staying at the Goodnight Hostel. Too much smog so I am heading out in the morning. Found 1 yellow arrow near the Cathedral on top of the hill.
Hope to see some pilgrims along the way. Thinking I might do the inland.

Anyone in Lisbon ????

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ok everyone....
I'm in Lisbon. Staying at the Goodnight Hostel. Too much smog so I am heading out in the morning. Found 1 yellow arrow near the Cathedral on top of the hill.
Hope to see some pilgrims along the way. Thinking I might do the inland.
It is easy if you miss the waymarkers
Go direction the Tejo river. You pass the Santa Apalónia railwaystation and keep following the river northwards at your right side
Keep at the left side of busy road leading to Moscavide/Parque de Nações-former expo park
As soon as you are at the parque de Nações you see a typical tower landmark at the riverside. There anyway you can pick up the waymarkers direction Sacavém .in the distance too you'll a big bride. The caminho goes underneath this bridge
But I expect you will find the waymarkers before.

When you are at the Sé cathedral in Lisbon down by the ground at the right side of the main entrance is the first waymarker. You walk at the right side of the cathedral to the back and there is your next one.
Bom caminho

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back