Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Picture Fun Quest for the Primitivo

Silly me. I even took a picture......
14600905_1288764947821407_3964305910986154959_n.jpg
St Paschal on the right, St George on the left....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think it is San Pascual chapel at the begining of Hospitales.

What is this on the Primitivo?

I think that there are remains of Roman mine workings just before Puerto de Palo.

Next question -
This was where it got scary! the paw print was as big as my hand :eek:
DSCF0497.JPG

- This is where it was . . . ????
DSCF0498.JPG

Tio Tel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ah no! It was after Lugo . . . . . Anyone ???

Tio Tel

And an extra (virtual) glass of wine - bottle of Mahou if you can guess the name of the beastie ;)

Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
well, it is after Lugo, but not as far as Mt. Careon (between Casacamino and Vilouriz)...because I think it's pretty flat between Vilouriz and Melide...I don't see stones so probably not a roman road out of San Ramon...where else is there a road that drops down like that...near the river mino near Lugo but I don't see a river....:confused:

edit: ok, despite the lack of stones to trip me, I am going to guess the Roman road out of San Ramon

Last edited:
And an extra (virtual) glass of wine - bottle of Mahou if you can guess the name of the beastie ;)

Tio Tel
the roman road out of San Ramon da Retorta

Attachments

• arrow.JPG
    arrow.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • camino 2 3711.JPG
    camino 2 3711.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • i like the arrow.JPG
    i like the arrow.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • i hope they have coffee ahead.JPG
    i hope they have coffee ahead.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm having trouble processing this picture match. Looks like @Smallest_Sparrow knows where the picture was taken.
You haven't installed the latest CIA updates? :confused:I think I know. but sometimes---very very rarely---i'm wrong:eek:. I guess we will have to wait until morning in England to find out. I've got a great one ready for you if I'm right...

I'm also off to the side a bit because I was fascinated by the fact there was an arrow painted on a rock that was easily picked up and moved...and yet, I was following it. I was also dying for coffee, so easily distracted by the incongruous. But I think it's the same place.

@Michael Caleigh ...where is El Sapo?

the roman road out of San Ramon da Retorta

Yesss!! Well done!

The animal track clue is in the "tail trail" to the right of and parallel to the stick. We showed the pic to a bar keeper who brought in a hunter friend and identified the beast as a porcupine! Apparently there are North African Crested Porcupines in the forested areas - regarded as pests by the forestry men because of the damage. Bear paw prints are rounded and wolf more dog-like.

Tio Tel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm also off to the side a bit because I was fascinated by the fact there was an arrow painted on a rock that was easily picked up and moved...and yet, I was following it. I was also dying for coffee, so easily distracted by the incongruous. But I think it's the same place.

@Michael Caleigh ...where is El Sapo?
The climb before A Lastra is called a costa do sapo....I think my face was red and I was sweating like being in a sauna....

sorry this took so long...
the shell above the door tells us this chapel was also right on our path. outside, note camino marker.JPG this is the inside.JPG In early camino history, this village had a pilgrims’ hospital supervised by a nearby monastery. The hospital no longer exists (and the monastery is gone), but there is a celebration at this chapel every year on the 25th of July. What is the name of this chapel and its village?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After reading the other Picture Fun Quest thread I thought that we need one for the Primitivo as this is the only one I know well.

So let´s start and the rules are the same. So where this lovely bar.....?

14595687_1290662780964957_3907867879972735903_n.jpg
O'ACEBO. I enjoyed a sandwich and coffee there a few weeks ago. Lovely meeting space

sorry this took so long...
the shell above the door tells us this chapel was also right on our path. In early camino history, this village had a pilgrims’ hospital supervised by a nearby monastery. The hospital no longer exists (and the monastery is gone), but there is a celebration at this chapel every year on the 25th of July. What is the name of this chapel and its village?

Gimme a medal! Gimme a medal! I remember that one! Capilla del Cristo de los Afligidos at La Pereda. When we walked in 2010 there was mud and water knee deep from there to Tineo - memorable or what o_O

Tio Tel

Gimme a medal! Gimme a medal! I remember that one! Capilla del Cristo de los Afligidos at La Pereda. When we walked in 2010 there was mud and water knee deep from there to Tineo - memorable or what o_O

Tio Tel

yes indeed...I thought often of the name during the next step. This XV century chapel had become a chicken coop in recent years until rescued and restored (with a modern St. James) by the local Friends of the Camino group.
we're in for a treat, another Tio Tel picture!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not sure if this is still there - photo taken 2012.

DSCF2714.JPG

Tio Tel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Further on than that. If it proves too difficult Terry will post the photo of the path and him walking 'through' the tree. :)
now I feel like a got a free hint...:)
I don't know the town that is closest, but it is near where the detour to Santa Eulalia de Boveda rejoins the road to San Roman de Retorta...is that a close enough location?

I remember being disappointed because I'd read one person's story (maybe on the forum?) of climbing over trees on the Primitivo...although I did get to do that on the Norte a couple of times

Attachments

• bummer..someone cut the tree.JPG
    bummer..someone cut the tree.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
now I feel like a got a free hint...:)
I don't know the town that is closest, but it is near where the detour to Santa Eulalia de Boveda rejoins the road to San Roman de Retorta...is that a close enough location?

I remember being disappointed because I'd read one person's story (maybe on the forum?) of climbing over trees on the Primitivo...although I did get to do that on the Norte a couple of times
I like that detour

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
do you think I got the tree right? I'd like to post something while some of you Europeans are still awake and able to play...:)
Yes, that is Terry's tree. Near Bacurin. Terry asked me to post this, with the extra photo.

Attachments

• granite setts.jpg
    granite setts.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm going ahead....
so this is NOT on the Frances
not on the Frances.JPG

we know that it's on the Primitivo because a while later we see one of the ever-present warning signs...mmmm, honey
mmmm...honey.JPG

Where is the metal pilgrim sculpture located?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mesón Catro Ventos, Barbeitos, Lugo, Spain
yes! all you walkers who hit the bar at O Acebo probably didn't care so much, but this was the first open place to get coffee since I left Castro (where they also weren't yet serving coffee). and they had a Mastiff I could pet. They even managed a bit of food for me, even though they had just opened (as in still cleaning). Life was good. your turn!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Tell me...tell me
I think you are in a cider house (and if you are learning to pour then you must include pictures)...but I saw most on and transitioning from the Norte...and didn't see this one...so I will guess it is in Oviedo...but no clue where.

so far away from Oviedo
well....hmmm... I will have to see what the Europeans guess for the next few hours before bedtime...it's noon here and I have a few citrus trees needing attention. I'll guess tonight when you are all asleep:)
and if it's south I'll rethink cider...maybe wine...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What was I doing in this place? and where is it?
14470503_1290719300959305_2226808964745904427_n.jpg

I know what you were doing and where you were doing it...but not because I've been there...should I still guess? I will...and if I'm disqualified for not having actually seen this, I'm totally fine with it.

you were eating pulpo (ahhhhh, pulpo:)) at Pulperia Aurora do Carballiño in Lugo. before you disqualify me, tell me, was it really good?

I'm going ahead....

we know that it's on the Primitivo because a while later we see one of the ever-present warning signs...mmmm, honey
View attachment 29949

And these are the ones that went walkabout - just up the road near A Lastra
DSCF0388.JPG
Tio Tel

Wild bees, wild Italian girls...the Primitivo is not for the faint of heart...
So @Michael Caleigh did I win? Am I disqualified?

I had a 1906 in there all by myself.....(hiding from the italian girl)
Are you wine tasting? It looks like a cider house, or a wine tasting place...and I'm going to assume wine tasting since it's not Oviedo...and if wine that makes it probably Lugo...but looking for wineries around Lugo I read a review of a place that said there was a new Pulperia that used casks for tables...
I am so confused:confused:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK, I'm an anarchist who has waiting patiently to post, so here is my next one...it's easy...I tried asking this lady for directions to the nearest open coffee shop but got no where...she wouldn't even help me find the camino....
Name the city

Attachments

• Buenas Dias, donde esta El Camino de Santiago.JPG
    Buenas Dias, donde esta El Camino de Santiago.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think this is Oviedo :)
good guess, because of the statue (even I took a selfie with woody allen) but unfortunately, this is a semi-trick question...not oviedo. I think the pastel bon-bon color of the building is another hint, but that may just be my impression of this town...after all I arrived (as I often did) starving before places were open to feed me:)

because I do tend to wander in my wanderings:eek:, I just looked this up on Google earth, and can confirm there is a shell marker on the wall of one of the buildings on this street, so we did walk past this statue (even if not lost):)...

edit: I also want to thank @Michael Caleigh for starting this thread. I really loved my time on the Primitivo, and this is bringing back so many good memories...and in some ways it's like walking again. I see something and I think--no way that was there when I walked...was I lost...I definitely didn't see that...and then, there it is, a picture in my file. And there are some places I didn't see, maybe it was closed when I went by, or someone just had a different eye...anyway, thanks, this has been so much fun

One place where I thought that everything is in pastel was in Tineo..
I feel the same with this thread. Brings back such amazing memories.
maybe Tineo didn't look as much like candy to me because I was able to get coffee in Bodenaya, and they were open for late breakfast by the time I reached Tineo:)...I do recall where I ate and what I had there, though:)

I'm going ahead....
so this is NOT on the Frances
View attachment 29948

View attachment 29949

One place where I thought that everything is in pastel was in Tineo..
I feel the same with this thread. Brings back such amazing memories.
What was I doing in this place? and where is it?
14470503_1290719300959305_2226808964745904427_n.jpg
Yes. Lugo, near the bus station. Best pulpo on my Sunday afternoon visit with some wonderful Primitivo friends. Loved the wine barrels/dining tables

I am now going to admit to a new very guilty pleasure. I just spent the last 15 minutes virtually walking the camino out of the town of my photograph. I even got to this roundabout and thought, heck, which way. then I saw a cross I remembered seeing when I actually walked, and thought at that time 'heck, which way." I 'crossed' to the side i thought best, spun around virtually, and there it was...a shell marker. I can see a market for a new computer game in this

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh my...that sounds like the town in Galicia where I bought the Primitivo shirts and I couldn´t find my way out of the village the next morning...I got terribly lost....Now if I could remember what the name was

Oh my...that sounds like the town in Galicia where I bought the Primitivo shirts and I couldn´t find my way out of the village the next morning...I got terribly lost....Now if I could remember what the name was

now you will lead anyone guessing astray...while @Michael Caleigh may be wandering around in a Galician village, my photo was taken in Asturias;)

but while we are talking about the architecture, the Indiano homes and buildings in this town would have fit right in with many I saw while walking on the Norte...

Last edited:
I think it is in Grado.
COrrect! I was just about to give the hint that many guides will tell you three or more times to buy food in this town if you are staying at the alberque San Juan de Villapañada.
Tia Valeria's turn!:)

edit: my reminder that I'd better find breakfast by Grado or I'd be an unhappy camper for a while

Attachments

• grado.JPG
    grado.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some searching after posting the answer and I found my photo of the same lady. Next photo in a few minutes.

Attachments

• lady.JPG
    lady.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 7
In which village can you see this building?. What is its special feature?

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 11
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven´t seen that....I must have been tired that day
grado has a lot of markets so it may have been too crowded...even in Tia Valeria's picture you can see the stalls are forming around it. I planned my walk to avoid crowds of people. you can see a difference in the two photoso_O
I should have entitled my blog 'misanthropist camino'

a window carved from a single block of granite....oooh, I know this....
edit: rats...different window...

a window carved from a single block of granite....oooh, I know this....
edit: rats...different window...
Right feature. A window made from a single block of granite - it must be fairly unique. Where did you think it might be?

This is a house in Burgo, with a window carved out of granite. It is near the Iglesia de San Vicente do Burgo...it is also a road reminder that there is a good bar in the vicinity:), and the turn off to Santa Eulalia de Boveda is coming up soon...
I think. Certain about the bar, not so much the rest....

Attachments

• camino 2 3601.JPG
    camino 2 3601.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • camino 2 3602.JPG
    camino 2 3602.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
This is a house in Burgo, with a window carved out of granite. It is near the Iglesia de San Vicente do Burgo...it is also a road reminder that there is a good bar in the vicinity:), and the turn off to Santa Eulalia de Boveda is coming up soon...
I think. Certain about the bar, not so much the rest....
Well done @Smallest_Sparrow . Great bar. We arrived in pouring rain. Shared a gas fire with 2 other peregrinas and the lady at the bar made us amazing bocadillos. By the time we left it had dried up a bit. Our ponchos and trousers had done good work that day and we were dry underneath. :)
Grado we have hit twice on a Sunday - I recognised the green house in your photo after a bit of thought. Next time we will try to pass through Grado on a weekday ;)
Your turn. Nearly bed time here.....ZZZZZZZZ

Well done @Smallest_Sparrow . Great bar. We arrived in pouring rain. Shared a gas fire with 2 other peregrinas and the lady at the bar made us amazing bocadillos. By the time we left it had dried up a bit. Our ponchos and trousers had done good work that day and we were dry underneath. :)
Grado we have hit twice on a Sunday - I recognised the green house in your photo after a bit of thought. Next time we will try to pass through Grado on a weekday ;)
Your turn. Nearly bed time here.....ZZZZZZZZ
I left Oviedo in the dark (I'd walked the first part the day prior to get pictures)...so I got to Grado quite early...wandered around to see all the Indiano buildings, finally found coffee and a tostada, :)and continued toward Cornellana before the crowds formed. :eek:
loved that bar, she was very helpful pointing me toward Santa Eulalia, and did make amazing bocadillos. Bonus, the little dogs in the yard...

OK...for anyone still awake out there...
these are details of a church...the window (which I mistook Tia Valeria's picture for), the north door lintel, and the main door lintel (hint: this is not a picture of a spaceman). Where is this church? bonus if you know the name of the church.

Attachments

• window.JPG
    window.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • not a spaceman.JPG
    not a spaceman.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • north door lintel.JPG
    north door lintel.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
OK...for anyone still awake out there...
these are details of a church...the window (which I mistook Tia Valeria's picture for), the north door lintel, and the main door lintel (hint: this is not a picture of a spaceman). Where is this church? bonus if you know the name of the church.
well either we are all running out of pictures, or this was too weird to anyone but me to photograph. This is the Iglesia de Santa Cruz de Retorta, with a window carved from a granite block. Over the man doorway that is Christ blessing us between the moon, sun, and stars, and a Crismon over the north door.
I'm going to post a fun one instead.

what ritual is taking place here at the Albergue O Candida?
albergue fire safety drill.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll let Terry answer this one. Only just back from a walk so we missed out on the last one completely.

I'll let Terry answer this one. Only just back from a walk so we missed out on the last one completely.
ok...sorry if I spoiled it but I thought maybe everyone was tired of me posting obscure chapels and churches;)

The win goes back to England and Tio Tel!

frog? Hospitales (remains of roman mines)?

That is the right beast. Wrong place! It is right on the camino. Almost a case of if you walk straight on you will fall in - though there is a fence . . . .
. DSCF0354.JPG

Tio Tel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ok...sorry if I spoiled it but I thought maybe everyone was tired of me posting obscure chapels and churches;)
We are pleased to see others like us who enjoy the chapels and churches. Still have some to share later...
Lunchtime now - @TerryB and I will be back later

And just before you pass this lovely little chapel . . . . .
View attachment 30044Tio Tel
Do I win with that one? :)
The pond is between Grandas and Castro. Just where the Camino turns right off the road after the bar (Casa Federico with sello!) at Cereijeira.
Try this one:-
DSCF0400.JPG On outside church wall in the porch
DSCF2584.JPG Mediaeval wall painting of St. Christopher on north wall in church
DSCF0404.JPG and the church itself!

Tio Tel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do I win with that one? :)
The pond is between Grandas and Castro. Just where the Camino turns right off the road after the bar (Casa Federico with sello!) at Cereijeira.
Try this one:-
View attachment 30046 On outside church wall in the porch
View attachment 30047 Mediaeval wall painting of St. Christopher on north wall in church
View attachment 30048 and the church itself!

Tio Tel
That´s an easy one. The couple there was so nice...coffee and a tour in the church.

That's the photo I took

They were expecting a baptism party when we were there. Men stood around outside smoking. The priest said the Angelus while he was waiting - all very laid back and no pressure whatsoever.
For those who do not recognise the photos it is the Iglesia de Santa Maria at Villabade, just before Castro Verde.
Over to you Michael!

Tio Tel

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
They were expecting a baptism party when we were there. Men stood around outside smoking. The priest said the Angelus while he was waiting - all very laid back and no pressure whatsoever.
For those who do not recognise the photos it is the Iglesia de Santa Maria at Villabade, just before Castro Verde.
Over to you Michael!

Tio Tel
At last, one that I actually recognised and photographed! I was starting to wonder if I sleep-walked the Primitivo, since I've hardly recognised any of the photos on this thread.

At last, one that I actually recognised and photographed! I was starting to wonder if I sleep-walked the Primitivo, since I've hardly recognised any of the photos on this thread.
that's just what I was thinking about the pond near the cafe.
I'd even say 'well, they walked a different time, the route changed' but Tio and Tia walked about the same time I did....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it is a display somewhere, rather than a office. Does anyone remember maybe a school or museum, probably one of the larger cities?:confused:

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back