• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the Camino Ingles

urbanhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Le Puy to Moissac (2013)
Camino Portugues (Sept 2014)
Camino del Norte/Irun to Luarca (April 2015)
Camino Inglés/Camino Finisterra/Muxia (Oct 2015)
Moissac to St. Jean (2016)
We will be doing the Camino Inglés starting on Sept. 28th, 2015. We have done a few already, but are looking forward to this one. Have heard very nice things about it. We are also doing a blog. The link is below for those who might be interested.

Ray
Urbanhiker

www.ontoelingles.wordpress.com

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We will be doing the Camino Inglés starting on Sept. 28th, 2015. We have done a few already, but are looking forward to this one. Have heard very nice things about it. We are also doing a blog. The link is below for those who might be interested.

Ray
Urbanhiker

It is "only" 118 kms but a tough as Miguel-gp said with lots of serious hills.
Buen caminho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tough yes but very nice . Like Mig says : a beautiful route. A personal note : if you can split up the etapa to Bruma then take a break, hostal will pick you up and bring you back the next day. I walked those 30 k steep hill in one day and paid the price the day after walking into Siguiero.

I finished a few weeks ago on 4 September and it is lovely. I used the map provided at the tourist office in Ferrol.
This Camino is not crowded, the only place that was crowded was the municipal albergue in Betanzos. Noting, I stayed in the muni in Mino and there were only two of us there that night. Mino is a nice town and the muni is less than 500m from the beach.
The climb out of Pontedeume is like climbing a ladder for 30 minutes and the climb up to mesa before getting to Bruma is quite memorable, I did in a driving rain storm.
I had read a few blogs about detouring to Ordes for a night but personally I don't think it was that great a place to stop; there are some other casa rurales along the Camino near there which would have been fine.
I had issues with the route marking in and out of Sigueiro but have been corrected by several people on the forum that I don't know what I am talking about. Most of the route is pretty well marked, so that being said besides my issues after leaving Sigueiro, I only got off the trail one other time and it was the day I finally learned after walking in Galicia for the past 4 years that the shell point "backwards."
By the way if you find my short cut leaving Sigueiro you will get to Santiago a few hours earlier than you expect.

I agree with the above some strenuous hills but really lovely scenery. So peaceful and quiet. There were a lot more pilgrims when I walked this tiem (starting in Ferrol on the 2nd of September) than the same time 3 years ago. There were only 6 of us in Bruma that time but it was full this time. They had to open the sports hall and all the Hostals were full in Bruma.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[QUOTE="biarritzdon, post: 344116, member: 18618"
By the way if you find my short cut leaving Sigueiro you will get to Santiago a few hours earlier than you expect.[/QUOTE]
Don, I walked through Sigueiro a few days ago and really hoped that I might find your magic short cut - especially as I walked from Meson do Vento to Santiago in one long day. The shortcut/gap in the space-time continuum was nowhere to be found. :)

On a less flippant note - the Ingles is beautiful. I walked the shorter arm from A Coruna, and on to Muxia.

We met a couple who had walked the Portugese and were back tracking the Inglés from Santiago to Ferrol before going home.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Buen Camino, Ray! I look forward to reading your blog updates. I see you mention looking forward to the seafood - you will find lots of great pulpo along the way, there's a specialty from the area just south of Ferrol called Pulpo a la Mugardese that is on my list to try when I go back. And don't miss out on the Tortilla de Betanzos when you go through!

where may I find a clear map of walking the Ingles &/or the coastal trail down to Santigo?

Hola and welcome to the Forum.
If you download Johnnie Walker's CSJ guide - link here on the forum - it will give you all the details you need. There are maps in the latest edition I believe. If you want an actual map then the Mapas Militar are the Ordinance Survey maps for Spain. Then you have to put the route in from the guide. We can buy the maps here in the UK from The Map shop, Upton on Severn. They are online and may ship worldwide. However the guide is sufficient unless you really love maps, my other half - @TerryB - does so we buy them as well as using the guides. There are also online outline guides such as Gronze -Camino Inglés which are helpful but lack the detail of the CSJ guide.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino, Ray! I look forward to reading your blog updates. I see you mention looking forward to the seafood - you will find lots of great pulpo along the way, there's a specialty from the area just south of Ferrol called Pulpo a la Mugardese that is on my list to try when I go back. And don't miss out on the Tortilla de Betanzos when you go through!

Cool. We'll be looking for the Pulpo a la Mugardese. We are ready and looking forward to the trip. Thanks!
Ray

Buen Camino Ray

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On the third day I met a Dutchman who had just completed the Portugese route and then decide to walk the Ingles. The very next day I then meat an Austrian who was doing the same thing!
Hey Al add me, a Canadian, to that list! I did the Portuguese from Oporto, the Ingles from Ferrol then the Fisterre. The Ingles was nice except the first day which was rather like walking through an Industrial/military compound.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
where may I find a clear map of walking the Ingles &/or the coastal trail down to Santigo?
Hi, we have just finished the Ingles and can tell you that,
although it is well waymarked, we found Johnnie Walkers guide invaluable in reassuring you step by step ,if necessary, that you are on the right track.
One or two sharp climbs,yes,but some lovely views most of the way. Enjoy!

Ray
Urbanhiker

Hi Urbanhiker, Urban Trekker here. I walked the English Camino from Ferrol in April/May 2013. I used Johnny Walkers guide and it was, with one exception, spot on. Johnny described the walk as "through gently rolling hills". The not so gently rolling hills start in Pontedeume and stop outside of Santiago. There are alberges in Neda, Pontedueme, Mino, and Betanzos. There is one albergue between Betanzosa and Siquerio. Its a long long walk between Betanzos and the albergue, most people break this walk in two and take a cab to a hotel on the main highway then return to the pick up point in the morning, and a long walk from the albergue to Siquerio where there was one iffy hotel. Accommodations may have changed in the last few years so check. It's a great walk. most of it is off the beaten path through eucalyptus forest, farms, and country roads. Food and water can be scarce so be sure to take food and drink after Pontedeume.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

although it is well waymarked, we found Johnnie Walkers guide invaluable in reassuring you step by step ,if necessary, that you are on the right track.

Thank you, greatly appreciate! Buen Camino, Caneadea

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thank you, buen camino, C

Hola and welcome to the Forum.
If you download Johnnie Walker's CSJ guide - link here on the forum - it will give you all the details you need. There are maps in the latest edition I believe. If you want an actual map then the Mapas Militar are the Ordinance Survey maps for Spain. Then you have to put the route in from the guide. We can buy the maps here in the UK from The Map shop, Upton on Severn. They are online and may ship worldwide. However the guide is sufficient unless you really love maps, my other half - @TerryB - does so we buy them as well as using the guides. There are also online outline guides such as Gronze -Camino Inglés which are helpful but lack the detail of the CSJ guide.

Thank you, greatly appreciate! Buen camino, C

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is one albergue between Betanzosa and Siquerio. Its a long long walk between Betanzos and the albergue, most people break this walk in two and take a cab to a hotel on the main highway then return to the pick up point in the morning, and a long walk from the albergue to Siquerio where there was one iffy hotel. Accommodations may have changed in the last few years so check.
Yes you are right about accomodation. There is a new albergue at Presedo, between Betanzos and Casa Julia so breaking the stage to Bruma. The old hostal in Sigueiro has been improved and there are also other places there now, a private albergue and a more expensive new hostal. A lot more choice in 2015 than when we first walked in 2011.

I agree with the above. When I walked it 3 years ago it was my first Camino. Nervous like everyone else the first time I was more than grateful to Johnnie for his guide. This time I went without it and had no problems finding the way. Yes I agree that the first 8k or so are not especially attractive (nor the last bit into SDC), but after that there is some great scenery. Both times were at the start of September. The first was wet about half the time but quite hot on the sunny days. (Just my luck that one of those was the long slog on the exposed section through the forest.) This time lovely weather throughout. A perfect example of you never know what to expect on this Camino. This time I walked the 8k to Naron the evening I arrived, getting to the hotel near the Renault Dealership just before dusk (I got a great deal - 4* for only £23). That way I enjoyed the sunset walking along the beach and did not have so much industrial first thing on the next day. The first time people were sunbathing on the beach at Cabanas and this time it was deserted. Yes some steep, never ending hills. But what silence and peace! Although there were quite a lot walking the first week of the month this time it should be quiet when you walk Joe. Go to the Hotel Sigueiro for their menu. Very friendly staff and good food (and large portions). Most of the people I had seen along the way that day descended on it even though they were staying elsewhere. A good time was had!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes you are right about accomodation. There is a new albergue at Presedo, between Betanzos and Casa Julia so breaking the stage to Bruma. The old hostal in Sigueiro has been improved and there are also other places there now, a private albergue and a more expensive new hostal. A lot more choice in 2015 than when we first walked in 2011.
Nice. Good stuff to know. Buen Camino

I carried a guide and wish I hadn't. (Thank you Johnnie for your hard work), but the trail is well marked and the route is confusing with your head in a book instead of enjoying the scenery or struggling on the hills. The Tourist office in Ferrol had a good local map. Breath deep life is good.... Willy, Utah, USA

We read the guide the night before each stage and also have used the directions for accomodation. The way is well marked but the guide is helpful if a sign does disappear and for distances. Personally we have always carried one and would not want to rely solely on the arrows. We don't walk with our heads buried in the guide, although I have seen someone on the Francés near Melide doing just that and stopping in the middle of the path at frequent intervals. We also write our notes in the side of the guide if stopped for a coffee, or if something has changed. Useful to have the reference where it easy to find. We also prefer the Mapas Militar as it gives the detail we enjoy, not that we used one on the Inglés although we did have a copy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Ray
Urbanhiker

Good Luck with the weather! I've just done part of the Camino Del Norte in August this year. in 2003 I walked the Frances to Santiago and I'm really intersted in the 'Ingles' where do i find out information about it?

Good Luck with the weather! I've just done part of the Camino Del Norte in August this year. in 2003 I walked the Frances to Santiago and I'm really intersted in the 'Ingles' where do i find out information about it?
Hola @Eleni A . There is a whole section of the forum with threads about the Camino Inglés - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-ingles.23/
and a downloadable guide to the Inglés in the resources section - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/ .
Happy planning and Buen Camino

Well I finished and am on my way home. Despite rabid devouring of maps guidebooks and blogs beforehand.. I walked without any ,, trusting the yellow arrows and the shells to point the way (which was fine until it was too dark to see and I overshot the turning by an hour in the dark). Giving my journey up to the signposts was liberating for this old control freak.. and highly commendable

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well I finished and am on my way home. Despite rabid devouring of maps guidebooks and blogs beforehand.. I walked without any ,, trusting the yellow arrows and the shells to point the way (which was fine until it was too dark to see and I overshot the turning by an hour in the dark). Giving my journey up to the signposts was liberating for this old control freak.. and highly commendable
Very good feedback Anna
So glad it was such a great experience for you !
Annie

I did the Camino Inglés in june 2016. I am documenting it on blog and facebook. Also, i did a 5min short resume of what this Camino is made of. I hope it inspires people to do it.

https://caminoinglessantiago.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/caminoinglessantiago/

img_9812-jpg.30474

Attachments

• IMG_9812.JPG
    IMG_9812.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 141
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes. Thank you. It is next to the Pias Avenue. :) I will try to optimize the blog after i have the main things in it!

I will create a second video, with more videos of the Camino that weren't used in the main movie.

I did the Camino Inglés in june 2016. I am documenting it on blog and facebook. Also, i did a 5min short resume of what this Camino is made of. I hope it inspires people to do it.

https://caminoinglessantiago.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/caminoinglessantiago/

img_9812-jpg.30474
This is wonderful and meticulous account. Thank you so much! Hoping to do the Ingles in (unfortunately) July. Your blog was a great help, but also a warm personal testimony. Thank you for sharing your effort!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back