• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone completed the trail on inline skates?

Michael Stieb

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has completed the TRAIL on inline skates? There are off road Nordic skates available and wondered if anyone has used them on the actual trail to complete?

Thanks,
Michael

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have to ask, what to you think the Camino terrain is made of?

I have never used line skates, but I doubt they would do well over mud puddles in the woods, or over stones laid to cross streams, and one would think that over tractor tracks things may be a bit iffy. And the thought of rolling backwards on the Napolean or O'cebreiro routes...

Don't you need a fairly flat surfice to use these?

Well, my skating level is expert. Flat ground is not needed, off road skates exist. They can be used on rough surfaces, only uphill loose surfaces present difficulties. It is possible to climb rocks, as a matter of fact, many things are possible on skates that one would think impossible. Only mud and uphill loose surfaces present a problem. Give me a muddy relatively straight downhill and you should enjoy the video of it. I'm in contact with a former competitive skater who walked the trail. I will share her opinion when I receive it.
I would consider walking impassable sections on skates as fair as a canoe is portaged past rapids.

Michael

I have to ask, what to you think the Camino terrain is made of?

I have never used line skates, but I doubt they would do well over mud puddles in the woods, or over stones laid to cross streams, and one would think that over tractor tracks things may be a bit iffy. And the thought of rolling backwards on the Napolean or O'cebreiro routes...

Don't you need a fairly flat surfice to use these?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sure you could do part of it with online skates. But much of it you couldn't, unless of course you just took the bicycle routes. So it would depend on whether you get enough satisfaction (bragging rights?) out of doing some parts this way, to justify carrying very bulky extra footwear for the rest of the way.

I would be interested in your friend's comments about the practicality. I can't see any good reason to do it this way except for bragging rights, or maybe to entertain us :D, neither of which is really a good reason. Many people would not be happy with the circus-ization factor. Has anyone ever done the Camino on a unicycle (probably)? Walking backwards? With an elephant? Wearing a tutu?

Let us know what your friend says!

Attachments

• 20160330_143138.jpg
    20160330_143138.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
I saw a video of someone going down the alto del perdon in inline skates, bet you could find it on you tube

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many people would not be happy with the circus-ization factor. Has anyone ever done the Camino on a unicycle (probably)? Walking backwards? With an elephant? Wearing a tutu?
I didn't say this, but am inclined to agree.
The Camino is different from other long-distance walks, for a reason. And for many it is sacred space. People can dispute that all they like, but it's the way it is. And even though you can physically skate much of the Camino--or in a cathedral/temple, for that matter--it begs the question: why?

If you simply love to skate and want to see if you can do this, there is no harm in that. But please understand that doing so may offend or cause pain to others--and contributes to a party atmosphere that many do not appreciate. A certain amount of sensitivity is in order.

If you wish to assert your individual freedom to do as you wish regardless of whom it offends, our objections would probably egg you on anyway...so...whatever. ;)

I rode a hybrid-mountain bike last year (Sep 2015) and there a number of places where even the bike could not go. The climb up the Alto del Perdon (the large tough hill immediately west of Pamplona) is one that will be (imho) impassable; the kilometre west of Cirauqui is another "no go" place and the killer - Atapuerca to Villalval - I had to get off and lift the bike over a number of places here (in one place it was a 2 to 3 metre climb). Ok from Burgos to Leon you might manage it; but the descent from the Cruz de Ferro - either following the Camino or on the road is another that will endanger your life. Best of luck!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suggest that you try a short hilly section before tackling the whole thing - assuming by "The Trail" you mean the full 800kms. There are stretches on pavement and there are stretches that are heavily eroded gullies full of round, weather-worn rocks. There are some sections that flood in rain and become extremely muddy, if not submerged. There are short sections here and there that are very steep and paved and greasy in wet weather. There are very short sections where you must use the shoulder of the paved roadway, stepping off when traffic threatens. There are very long sections of packed earth covered by a thin layer of loose gravel - these sections are very slippery for walking poles, can't imagine how you'd navigate these sections on wheels.

As far as I know, there's no speed limit on the Camino.

I found bicycles were very annoying when the path was uneven and crowded with walkers and bicycles tried to muscle through. There are many sections where bicycles must use roads. I presume you'd be expected to do so on skates. I assume also that you'd prefer using off-road paths and avoid the dangers of dealing with traffic - in rain, fog, low light conditions, etc.

Intolerant walkers such as I would wonder what you're trying to accomplish as it would constantly be a distraction for boring folks who want a more meditative experience and never intended to join the GoPro carnival.

If you have something to prove, why not try The Grand Canyon?

Hi Michael. I like to walk, kind of end of conversation for me. But there are a lot of people who bike it, some just as an enjoyable long distance bike trek, some with a similar spiritual intent as some of us walkers (but not all). I guess what I'm trying to say is it's the attitude or spirit in which you do it - inline skates to me are no different than a bike or a horse I share a path with. As long as you respect the camino and consequently enjoy your experience, that's fine. As several have said above, there will be sections where it might be somewhat suicidal, but on others, like the endless Roman road into Leon, you might be the envy of several walkers (including me). I, too, would be curious to hear about your friend's views, and certainly your experiences if you do it. Buen camino - Cherry

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This is not just a TRAIL, but a Camino, a pilgrimage route to a sacret place. If you are contemplating doing this to prove a point then maybe you should consider a different trail and there are plenty to choose from. If you are doing this as a Camino then I wish you well.

I am a fundamentalist pedestrian: an attitude reinforced by many near-misses, a few collisions, and one deliberate assault by cyclists in the off-road sections of a number of Caminos over the years. In my very definite opinion pedestrian pilgrims and those who choose to travel on wheels should not have to coexist on the footpath sections of the route. Sadly I do not make or enforce Spanish law and I have to accept the presence of cyclists with the little good grace I can muster. It seems to me that once it is accepted that it is legitimate to make your Camino on wheels then there is very little point in arguing about whether you use one, two, four, six or any other number - or how they happen to be connected to each other. Rather like debating whether it is more acceptable to be run over by a red or a green bus.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I can't see anything wrong with going to Santiago on inline skates, but yes, I think it would often be better for yourself and for others to follow the bicycle rather than hiking variants.

Looking at videos, I can see that they seem to be best adapted to what a hiker would consider to be easy terrain, whereas many sections of the Camino tends towards medium (in ordinary terms). Hence the bike route suggestion. I think the skates would be as well adapted to it as the cross country bikes, which are great on some but not all sections of the Camino. At least from a hiker's perspective -- some sections are completely avoided by all bikers unless they make a mistake.

Also, I think you'd face a significant endurance challenge, especially day after day, plus all the business with punctures, tyre breakages, pack transport as a basic necessity, weather, and so on.

But I can see that there are marathon events in countries with worse weather, and that a small backpack is quite workable -- though the hiking route will in particular places be either too rough or simply too crowded to work out well for you. Of course OTOH some other stretches would simply be ideal for it. And you could potentially explore certain variant trails or dust roads parallel to the Camino if the crowding gets problematic ...

---

hmmmm interesting project :D ; it would take some organisation and more expense than the sport usually demands, and I'd guess a LOT of training, but I'd say you could definitely explore at least workability or not.

Try a couple of 2-3 day trips beforehand maybe, to see what logistics you'd need and problems appear, and what sort of distances you'd get out of a more manageable hiking trail ?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
saw someone doing it on a unicycle the first time I walked it...:)

saw someone doing it on a unicycle the first time I walked it...:)

My own feeling about wheels on the Camino is that, while they are permitted, I wonder if the benefits of the Camino are not best achieved by walking, but that is perhaps matter for another thread. I had a chat with a Czech unicyclist on the Galician stretch of the Francese in October and it struck me that unicycles could be less annoying than bicycles, as they took up less space and seemed to not have the same facility for speed, but I suppose obnoxiousness lies in the cyclist (and pedestrian!) and their attititude!

As far as inline skates go, I think that many stretches would be close to impossible-- perhaps quad skates (à la roller derby) would be more practical and more stable, if less speed-oriented. I would also be concerned about balance, given that the sk8er in question would be carrying a pack.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It may not be practical, but I cannot really comment on that, as I know nothing about inline skating. However, if that is the preferred method of transportation, then I would say to "Go for it". I do not see any indication from the OP that this is a stunt or being done for bragging rights. It is just another form of transportation IMHO.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pretty sure this is someone just trying to wind us all up. Looks like it worked too!
Yeah, I suspected a troll as well, but I suppose not too far fetched a trolling subject as there are people out there I am sure actually thinking about an inline Camino, ha ha.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the Forum! You might like to consider walking the Camino first and then skating it your second time. That way you won't have to listen to us wring our hands over you :) and you'll know from experience what the terrain is like, what the Camino culture is, and also get a sense of who your fellow pilgrims are and how the daily routine runs. Of course, inline skates are wheels just like bikes and carts, but because they are so rare on the Camino and in the Camino culture, I'd recommend you get a taste of the Camino first, then you can determine if you could later bring your skates.
Take care and Buen Camino!
Faith

Last edited:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has completed the TRAIL on inline skates? There are off road Nordic skates available and wondered if anyone has used them on the actual trail to complete?

Thanks,
Michael
Really? Go for it I am sure you will buen caminoing your way along in grand style.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not me. I'm not wound up about it in the slightest!
agreed...nothing to get wound up about in the least
like I commented earlier....just evoked from me a sigh, a chuckle and a shake of my head, and a rather comical mental image of someone tumbling down one of the dodgier sections of the Camino whilst wearing a pair of those skate things on their feet, and a pack on their back

Hi Michael, welcome :)
Sorry, no idea if it can really be done, but I've seen some pretty amazing videos on the subject that makes me think it is possible... There are all kinds of grounds on the Camino, from big rocks to paved roads, hard and soft. It may be wrong, but I'm thinking if bikes/unicycle (yep!)/boards (yep! too) do it, why not off road skates?
Like @Doogman, I tell you go for it! Prep well, experiment, enjoy! And please, share you Camino with us! :)

---
And then again, here I am feeling angry-sad-sorry(-pity?) to read such intolerance... :( Oh yeah, there is some tolerance around: the feeble "everyone does his-her own Camino" is still around.
But truly, it's otherwise. What mostly crossed my mind while reading this thread was "Who the **** do you proper pedestrian pilgrim think you are????" Pardon my French. And of course, I also thought of the answer: "Well, 'true' pilgrims, obviously!" Chosen bits here and there:

Has anyone ever done the Camino on a unicycle (probably)? Walking backwards? With an elephant? Wearing a tutu? - Inline skates on the CF? Really? Sigh. - I have to accept the presence of cyclists with the little good grace I can muster. - inline skates to me are no different than a bike or a horse I share a path with
Well, if it's not clear yet, I'll translate: if you don't walk, you're an alien. And you're bound to be disregarded/disliked/hated.

I can't see any good reason to do it this way except for bragging rights - it begs the question: why?
Have any proper pedestrian here ever came across someone telling them there were no good reason to walk across Spain in a century that can just drive/land you in Santiago?
Let me return you the question: why? I mean, except for bragging rights of course.

why not try The Grand Canyon? - maybe you should consider a different trail
Just go somewhere else. Why? Well, you're not walking. Yep, that's it. Oh, and also because...

This is not just a TRAIL, but a Camino - If you are doing this as a Camino then I wish you well
Translation: it's a pilgrimage, you pagan! A true spiritual adventure you shall not spoil with your crude frivolities!
Although literally, it doesn't mean anything. "Camino" means "way", "trail", "road", "path" (out of the dictionary). And even if I take "Camino" a little more spiritually (which I do myself, so which I get), it still doesn't mean much here.
Because the Camino is 1 single trail of dirt/rock/mud/whatever, but has many faces. And has always had! It's never been only a pilgrimage route through History, whatever tales are told on the Way. There were no Camino until the 20th century! Today, it's a pilgrimage as well as a cultural itinerary as a touristic attraction as a sport trail as an international meeting ground as ... as ... as ... .

So, dear fellow proper pedestrian pilgrims, I truly wish for us all to go back on the Camino. Obviously, you've got some tolerance to learn (or, if you prefer it told that way: inline skaters have to teach you some tolerance). Or elsewhere yourselves (for a change), as you don't seem to get it there...
Pick your Camino. And deal with the others, because whether you like it or not, the Camino has many identities that all have a right and a reason to be. Especially today, when spirituality makes more and more sense through materiality.

I don't intent to point fingers to people, but to an attitude that is a true and big part of the Camino. Its dark but very real side I sometimes get sick of.
I know I've been direct and sarcastic here and if I'm censored, so be it. It won't change the attitude I try to denounce, neither the fact than non-proper pilgrims are mostly welcomed that way and certainly feel the same than I do right now.
Angry-sad-sorry-pitying pilgrim troll out.

full

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Michael, welcome :)
Sorry, no idea if it can really be done, but I've seen some pretty amazing videos on the subject that makes me think it is possible... There are all kinds of grounds on the Camino, from big rocks to paved roads, hard and soft. It may be wrong, but I'm thinking if bikes/unicycle (yep!)/boards (yep! too) do it, why not off road skates?
Like @Doogman, I tell you go for it! Prep well, experiment, enjoy! And please, share you Camino with us! :)

---
And then again, here I am feeling angry-sad-sorry(-pity?) to read such intolerance... :( Oh yeah, there is some tolerance around: the feeble "everyone does his-her own Camino" is still around.
But truly, it's otherwise. What mostly crossed my mind while reading this thread was "Who the **** do you proper pedestrian pilgrim think you are????" Pardon my French. And of course, I also thought of the answer: "Well, 'true' pilgrims, obviously!" Chosen bits here and there:

Well, if it's not clear yet, I'll translate: if you don't walk, you're an alien. And you're bound to be disregarded/disliked/hated.

Have any proper pedestrian here ever came across someone telling them there were no good reason to walk across Spain in a century that can just drive/land you in Santiago?
Let me return you the question: why? I mean, except for bragging rights of course.

Just go somewhere else. Why? Well, you're not walking. Yep, that's it. Oh, and also because...

Translation: it's a pilgrimage, you pagan! A true spiritual adventure you shall not spoil with your crude frivolities!
Although literally, it doesn't mean anything. "Camino" means "way", "trail", "road", "path" (out of the dictionary). And even if I take "Camino" a little more spiritually (which I do myself, so which I get), it still doesn't mean much here.
Because the Camino is 1 single trail of dirt/rock/mud/whatever, but has many faces. And has always had! It's never been only a pilgrimage route through History, whatever tales are told on the Way. There were no Camino until the 20th century! Today, it's a pilgrimage as well as a cultural itinerary as a touristic attraction as a sport trail as an international meeting ground as ... as ... as ... .

So, dear fellow proper pedestrian pilgrims, I truly wish for us all to go back on the Camino. Obviously, you've got some tolerance to learn (or, if you prefer it told that way: inline skaters have to teach you some tolerance). Or elsewhere yourselves (for a change), as you don't seem to get it there...
Pick your Camino. And deal with the others, because whether you like it or not, the Camino has many identities that all have a right and a reason to be. Especially today, when spirituality makes more and more sense through materiality.

I don't intent to point fingers to people, but to an attitude that is a true and big part of the Camino. Its dark but very real side I sometimes get sick of.
I know I've been direct and sarcastic here and if I'm censored, so be it. It won't change the attitude I try to denounce, neither the fact than non-proper pilgrims are mostly welcomed that way and certainly feel the same than I do right now.
Angry-sad-sorry-pitying pilgrim troll out.

full
ummm.....you do realize that the OP in all likelihood started the thread as a joke, don't you?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you one and all for the good laugh. Enjoyed each and every post. Am assuming that like the vast majority of bicycles on the Camino, inline skates do not come complete with a bell. Having literally ended up in a bush beside the path as a result of a near brush with yet another stealth cyclist I can only imagine the fun you will have scooting by pilgrims on inline skates. And if you want to take the example of most cycle pilgrims further you must say a cheery and extremely loud 'buen camino' just after you've snuck up on the unsuspecting walking pilgrim because that compounds the element of surprise. My advice to you is go for it. You should have a heap of fun and so will everyone else.

Thank you one and all for the good laugh. Enjoyed each and every post. Am assuming that like the vast majority of bicycles on the Camino, inline skates do not come complete with a bell. Having literally ended up in a bush beside the path as a result of a near brush with yet another stealth cyclist I can only imagine the fun you will have scooting by pilgrims on inline skates. And if you want to take the example of most cycle pilgrims further you must say a cheery and extremely loud 'buen camino' just after you've snuck up on the unsuspecting walking pilgrim because that compounds the element of surprise. My advice to you is go for it. You should have a heap of fun and so will everyone else.
I don't think a bell will be necessary. You'll hear the ear splitting screams and the snapping bones a long way off. IMHO.
:D

Thanks,
Michael
Hi Michael,
You may or may not know that there have been numerous people who have rolled the camino in wheel chairs. I'm pretty sure they would have had to take the road in some spots - as the bicyclists occasionally do. Much of the camino has been groomed into submission in the last 12 or 13 years, making it a smoother and less muddy walk than it was, but as pointed out, there are still some rough spots. And if you can portage, well, you could do fine.
I can't quite imagine it because I can't even stand up on roller skates, but, assuming you're talking about the 'trail' as the Camino Frances, not one of the other routes, I don't see why it wouldn't be physically possible for well over half of it - maybe even more.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My sole pieces of advice after reading this thread are these:

1. Have EXCELLANT health insurance cover to pay for your broken bones,
2. Have one or more partners, on foot, who can get you to emergency medical treatment,
3. Carry prescribed, prescription pain killers in the original bottle.

IMHO, you are likely to need all three.

Enjoy this style of Camino, for as long as it lasts...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

€46,-
This video looks very inspiring, for sure. She used pavement skates, not the off-road Nordic skates mentioned in the OP. In the few shots of her on gravel, she was walking. Looks like she had a vehicle ahead of her some of the way, probably for safety (edit: And she didn't ever carry a pack). Props to her - she looks extremely fit!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Michael Stieb , I watched this video
-Patinando el camino / Skating the Way.
Looked actually inspiring. There are further links shown at the end of the video but I did not check them out. I think the skater is a Spanish woman, apparently born in Santiago de Compostela.

Whilst this video does show someone skating the highway in norther Spain and I think I recognised some of the scenes (apart from the Cruz de Ferro) - it does not appear that she followed the Camino to any great extent. No scenes from the Meseta; climbing that hill west of Castrojeriz for example. Other BIG plus - she was supported all the way!

ummm.....you do realize that the OP in all likelihood started the thread as a joke, don't you?
Alas, it's not because you typed he is a joke that he is. 5-7 years ago thinking of the type of people we now see on the Camino would also have seemed as a joke, and yet they fill up the bars from Sarria to Santiago.

You should have see the brawl between local gaita player in Muxia and group of bicygrinos as they were posing with, and without!!!, their bicycles. One claiming Muxia is a savred site, the other saying its bike made it sacred.

Alas, what we once thought were trolls are today's reality.

Whilst this video does show someone skating the highway in norther Spain and I think I recognised some of the scenes (apart from the Cruz de Ferro) - it does not appear that she followed the Camino to any great extent. No scenes from the Meseta; climbing that hill west of Castrojeriz for example. Other BIG plus - she was supported all the way!

To go on a pilgrimage to Santiago, by whatever means, from the humbler to the gaudiest, does not require "following the Camino".

And -- how many touring bike pilgrims have you ever encountered on the dirt trails in the Meseta ?

And anyway, you didn't watch the video closely enough -- the Meseta is clearly shown just before the 3' mark, regardless of the fact that it's the tarmac route.

--

It's also interesting that she clearly alternated between road blades and cross-country skates -- that might be an option for the OP too.

Last edited:
I wasn't planning on defending or criticizing this enterprise. When you say that she didn't "follow the Camino to any great extent", you are probably saying that she did not follow the prescribed hiking trail step by step. A quick look on the map leaves me puzzled as to how one cannot haved crossed the meseta if one did about 1000 km on skates from Saint Jean Pied de Port via Burgos, Astorga and Ponferrada?
OK - she does not "appear" to follow the suggested "walkers" camino trail. As for getting into Burgos (from Belorado) there is no way she could have followed the camino from Villafranca and especially the 3-5 km immediately west of Atapuerca on those skates - I did cross this section on my bike but it was a real struggle. I walked about 3 km that day
As for "crossing the Meseta" (that section beloved of walking pilgrims) again there are a number of sealed local roads a more than a few major roads (N620; N120 for example) that she could have followed. But it is my understanding that these roads avoid the isolated places we walk through.
From Leon there is a major road which runs in close association with the walking trail to Astorga and thence to Ponferrada. But again that down hill section from the Cruz de Ferro on those skates would have been a sight to see!!

To go on a pilgrimage to Santiago, by whatever means, from the humbler to the gaudiest, does not require "following the Camino". And -- how many racing bike pilgrims have you ever encountered on the dirt trails in the Meseta ?
By "racing bikes" do you mean the ones that the professional cyclists ride in the Tour de France? If yes then the answer is NIL. However I did encounter a number of people riding bikes with tyres around 19/22 mm width (road tyres) as opposed to the real off-road tyres that I had on my hybrid-mountain bike.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
there is no way she could have followed the camino from Villafranca and especially the 3-5 km immediately west of Atapuerca on those skates

If you look more closely at the video, you'll see that she had at least two sets of skates -- one for the road and one cross country.

What there's "no way" about is that there's no way that those in the support vehicle could have shot extensive footage of her using her cross country skates away from the tarmac. And clearly, that wasn't the purpose of their video anyway.

Last edited:
By "racing bikes" do you mean the ones that the professional cyclists ride in the Tour de France? If yes then the answer is NIL. However I did encounter a number of people riding bikes with tyres around 19/22 mm width (road tyres) as opposed to the real off-road tyres that I had on my hybrid-mountain bike.

Sorry, I edited my post to "touring bikes".

Interesting new posts :) (truly!)

I watched some videos and wandered around various websites dealing with off-road skating... I still don't know anything about sliding (beside it's not good for my teeth), but I came to think it could actually be possible to do most of the "true" Camino skating. Not going to go and try, but really, we human being are an amazing and surprising specie!

--- side-topic again (wouldn't say it's off)
[Edit: after a truly fair comment (thank you :) ), I'd like to clarify that even if the following contains a serious basis, it's not to take literally and seriously and absolutely not directed to anyone in particular. Black humor and cynicism (too much, certainly) but only to discuss a reality of the Camino that saddens me. I won't change what I wrote, I'll assume the text. But please, take it for what it is: humour with too big af a pinch of salt]

Who knows if the OP's a joke? Trolls are serious sometimes. Maybe once upon a time, going all the way around the planet to walk across a country because of a movie would have been considered a troll project too. And yet! Does it make it illegitimate?

But troll or not, doesn't matter, does it? Even if. There were true disrespect all the same... (and sadly, imo, more after my post) But no matter whatsoever, nothing serious here! Everyone totally does his-he own Camino as s-he dreamed to, don't they? (or?)
Respect is only a basic pilgrim's attitude. Some just don't have it, it's fine :) (not a big deal if I say something like this, right? oh, if being a pilgrim is, well... breathe...)

Oh, by the way...
Being a pagan myself..... Is "heretic" a better word? Er, wait, I'm that too... ;)
And also,
If you want to be a pilgrim, just walk.
So much for the (? ... what then?) who are millions to go to Rome, Jerusalem, Lourdes, Mecca, Medina, the Ganges, ........ and so many other sacred places by plane/train/bus/car. Too bad guys, Santiago de Compostela set the rule! This pilgrimage's compulsory features are an exception in pilgrimages? No matter, that's the way it is! :)
Hey, if I push it a bit, it actually means almost no one on the Camino is a pilgrim! Doesn't it? How many locked their door and walked all the way to Santiago? An ocean to cross is not an excuse! :D
Walking (800km or millions of km, for the matter) is a basic feature of our specie, it doesn't make anyone a pilgrim. Although I guess it depends of one's definition of "pilgrim"...

Sorry for my energetic (wouldn't say I'm angry)/cynical/insolent post (again)... Which tone should I try to point out (non-serious) disrespect next time? ;)

Still and truly Buen Camino to all! :)
(With or without wheels, of course!)

full

Last edited:
I think that accusing the OP of trolling is greatly disrespectful and wrongful -- despite some people's apparently over-romantic notions that there's some sort of template that all pilgrims must conform with, we're all of us still just fellow pilgrims on the Way dealing with all of our choices, compromises, and sufferings.

Putative and theoretical inline skates projects, quite apart from being fun in their own right, are not antithetical to the Way of Saint James.

I think that accusing the OP of trolling is greatly disrespectful and wrongful -- despite some people's apparently over-romantic notions that there's some sort of template that all pilgrims must conform with, we're all of us still just fellow pilgrims on the Way dealing with all of our choices, compromises, and sufferings.

Putative and theoretical inline skates projects, quite apart from being fun in their own right, are not antithetical to the Way of Saint James.
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube of her going to obviously great effort. She does wear double-wheel cross-country skates during one brief shot in the song video, but is walking in them. On the gravel sections she always walks wearing the road skates. She appears in the other videos during a lot of rainy weather, and looks very worn down so it was a long grind, no doubt. I only saw her carrying a small pack once, so support from someone, also someone else did all the shooting. I don't speak Spanish so I can't tell if there is a charitable donation theme to the whole project. Hats off to her regardless.

I still think that doing the Camino on the path that I walked (only once, mind you) but wearing cross-country skates is a bonkers idea. The OP used the expression "on the actual trail" and that's all I have to respond to.

That all said, to each his or her own and, - Buen Camino, - Mike

There's nothing intrinsically wrong or 'anti-pilgrim' about skating the Camino, but 'why?' and 'with what attitude?' are the most important questions.
It could be a narcissistic stunt or a genuine journey of the heart.
I just erased something sarcastic about self-absorbed 'special' peregrino/as. It's enough to say that none of us are that special. And walking is an entirely ordinary activity--even 800kms of it. If someone does the Camino in an unconventional way in order to be noticed...well, they'll be mowed down like the 'tall poppies' they are.
If they do it humbly without need for recognition...that's another story.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks,
Michael

Not sure, but witnessed a person completing it on a Unicycle. June 2016

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think he last seen on a Pogo Stick heading south

I briefly encountered a one-legged foot pilgrim in 2005 -- I have been ill-at-ease with snide commentary about locomotion choices ever since.

Thanks,
Michael
I met Simon from Utrecht (The Netherlands) this year in Astorga. He did his camino on inline skates and the parts were he could not skate he walked. He told that he did not walked much.

Good luck!

Heidi

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm grateful for this thread. It is a reminder to the cynical, bitter, and desperate amongst us that the camino can be 'done' any-which-way-you-choose. It doesn't matter whether it is a sacred path or a world-heritage itinerary. That many people undertake a pilgrimage to Santiago or to Fisterra from profound belief in its spiritual significance is irrelevant. In reality it is just a playground and the boys who make the most noise get to play with all the toys.

Michael, I encourage you to do the Camino in any style that suits you. Pursue your passion. That is what the Camino is all about anyway. Anyone on it has a passion for it and you should not let your passion be denied by naysayers and critics. Just get out there and DO IT! And Buen Camino and blessings to you!

The Camino is about life and the splendor of it. I met many on my walk who did it for various reasons and in various modes. I even met a woman with no legs doing the Camino. She did part of the walk in the electric wheelchair and part on prosthetic legs attached to her stumps. I met people who did the Camino as a test of endurance and speed, running up to 50km or more a day. I met a woman walking it in crutches. I met a man and his wife who lived on the various caminos in Europe who pulled a heavy cart with them and travelled with a couple of dogs. They had been doing this for 20 years - no home, just a road to walk. I am not self righteous because I piously walked the path. The Camino is life - everyone's life. It's not to me to dictate how the camino should be travelled. It's not to me to impute motive to the traveller. The true holiness and sanctity of the journey is in doing it. No matter how it is accomplished. Life is for joy and learning and celebration. Be it life on the Camino or life anywhere else.

Why oh why would you even think about skating. You would be too busy watching out for obstacles oh and forget about meeting and talking to others during the day. I wonder about cyclists as well.

For whatever it is worth, the original poster has not returned to the Forum since posting. All the input, good and bad, is not reaching him.

Thanks,
Michael
Hi Michael,
What an interesting concept. I found that when I rode my alpaca across Spain I was not well accepted. Not sure why??? Hope you don't mind the intended humour in some of these posts mine included. The members of this forum tend to be protective of the sanctity of the Camino.
I can't wait to read the comments on the pogo stick

€149,-
I do wish OP would get back to us and confirm if he was serious or not -- I have no problem either way, but in the case that he was serious, our own experience as hikers could only be helpful to him.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back