• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Training schedule for the busy

StepheninDC

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
I am looking forward to training for the Camino, but I have a question for all of you. What's the best way to work in a training schedule if you're really busy, especially on the weekends? I have a full-time job Monday through Friday, but I also sing as a church musician on Sundays, which typically means I leave the house around 7 o'clock in the morning and don't get home until 7 PM. That basically lets out Sunday as a training day for me, and I've noticed most of the recommended training schedules require you to walk for as many as five or six hours on a Sunday, something that I can't do. Any advice?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sometimes the debates on here about equipment, training and technique make it sound as if walking the Camino is up there with running a sub-3 hour marathon or climbing Everest. It is not all that physically demanding. The walking can be reduced to stages of less than 20km /12 miles. You can either pack very light or opt to have your gear carried by van to your next night stop. You say that you are a busy person. Your photo looks like that of a relatively young and healthy person. What sort of exercise do you normally get in a week - including your time at work? There can be a little cumulative wear-and-tear from walking many consecutive days and so it is a good idea to err on the cautious side in your first few days: walk a distance you feel confident about, then you can extend that if you find things easier than expected. Be prepared to slow down if you do find problems. It is good that you are giving serious thought to training. That suggests a careful and considered approach. If you are normally a healthy person who enjoys activity then I think you do not need to plan any systematic training. I would not worry about it too much.

Sometimes the debates on here about equipment, training and technique make it sound as if walking the Camino is up there with running a sub-3 hour marathon or climbing Everest. It is not all that physically demanding. The walking can be reduced to stages of less than 20km /12 miles. You can either pack very light or opt to have your gear carried by van to your next night stop. You say that you are a busy person. Your photo looks like that of a relatively young and healthy person. What sort of exercise do you normally get in a week - including your time at work? There can be a little cumulative wear-and-tear from walking many consecutive days and so it is a good idea to err on the cautious side in your first few days: walk a distance you feel confident about, then you can extend that if you find things easier than expected. Be prepared to slow down if you do find problems. It is good that you are giving serious thought to training. That suggests a careful and considered approach. If you are normally a healthy person who enjoys activity then I think you do not need to plan any systematic training. I would not worry about it too much.

Thanks!
I just turned 53 but a doctor told me I have the body of a 19 year-old. (Maybe he was just being kind) I attend a very vigorous fitness boot camp about 2-3 times per week and I like taking walks during my lunch hour. I just want to make sure I'm used to the long distances the Camino demands (bearing in mind, of course, that I can set my own pace as needed). Thanks!

Stephen

PS I just got an Apple Watch for myself as a birthday present and I'm really enjoying how it encourages me to keep moving!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@StepheninDC With that sort of activity and regular commitment you are WAY ahead of what the Camino will demand from you. The only thing I would suggest is that you decide roughly the average daily distance you have in mind and try to find the time to walk it a few times with the load you will be carrying and the footwear you plan to use. If there are any problems to be found then it's better to find them and fix them before you get on the plane. I doubt you'll find there are any big ones.

I am looking forward to training for the Camino, but I have a question for all of you. What's the best way to work in a training schedule if you're really busy, especially on the weekends? I have a full-time job Monday through Friday, but I also sing as a church musician on Sundays, which typically means I leave the house around 7 o'clock in the morning and don't get home until 7 PM. That basically lets out Sunday as a training day for me, and I've noticed most of the recommended training schedules require you to walk for as many as five or six hours on a Sunday, something that I can't do. Any advice?

Personally I have done both. 2012 I was very prepared, very trained, very fit and almost felt like dying going up to Orisson. It took a week of what I refer to as "Camino boot camp" to be comfortable.

For my last Caminos in 2015, I did half of the training, but made sure I was fit and significantly dropped my back weight and felt much more at ease. I knew what I was in for and relaxed. I walked longer distances during a hot Summer and had a great time.

For this year's Camino (I am now 64), I am training to get ready, all aspects need to be addressed, endurance, fitness, elevation hikes, loosing body weight. I had a bummer of a 2016 that had me injured for about 7 months and I am starting from scratch. This is very focused training because of the mountainous terrain I will be walking in, unless the Camino decides otherwise.

Buen Camino, Ingrid

What I'd probably recommend is to walk an hour or so every other day with some hills mixed in.

Once your feet are totally fine add your pack and weight.

If your feet are still totally fine add some more weight.

You might want to take a week a month or so before and try doing 4-5 days straight of 1-2 hours a day with heavy pack. That's a good test for the Camino but don't push your joints etc.

It's all about getting your feet and shoes prepared. If your feet or fine that's 99% of the thing. Hell I'd rather do the Camino morbidly obese and with good feet and shoes than fit with foot issues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am in the "no training" camp. I am overweight and under exercised, but the 1 thing I did do was make sure my boots were comfortable walking both up hill and steep downhill.

I found as long as I took the first few days easy and worked myself into the longer days, my Camino was very successful - even without training!

You are probably in better shape right now than the average pilgrim in his 50's and do more training than the average pilgrim of the same age. I'm sure you can walk the Camino right now with no problems.
I would say just keep doing whatever you are doing and no real need to increase the training. I suppose maybe when you have time, take a longer walk than usual.
As you walk the Camino you will get in better shape. Of course as said before on here, know your limitations and don't push too hard and risk injury.

I think that for someone who is very fit the only real training that's necessary is getting used to walking long distances on multiple consecutive days. This will also help you determine which shoe/sock combo works for you.
I'm not super fit, but that is what I put my focus on. I walked at least 5 miles a day everyday for a couple of months before I left for Spain. 2 to 3 times a week I walked 8-10 miles. Then I did one week where I walked 10 miles every day. I only trained with my pack on 3 or 4 times, and it was only fully loaded once. This was my first backpacking experience, and I had no problem carrying it. Keeping my load light in a well fitting backpack was key.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think that for someone who is very fit the only real training that's necessary is getting used to walking long distances on multiple consecutive days. This will also help you determine which shoe/sock combo works for you.
I'm not super fit, but that is what I put my focus on. I walked at least 5 miles a day everyday for a couple of months before I left for Spain. 2 to 3 times a week I walked 8-10 miles. Then I did one week where I walked 10 miles every day. I only trained with my pack on 3 or 4 times, and it was only fully loaded once. This was my first backpacking experience, and I had no problem carrying it. Keeping my load light in a well fitting backpack was key.

That's awesome!! As I alluded to in my initial post, I simply don't have the time in my schedule to walk 8-10 miles (unless I did it in the middle of the night, LOL). The only day in the week that I don't have a very busy schedule is Saturday, but that's normally the only time I can run errands. That'll have to do, in terms of longer walks. Sunday is a work day for me. I'm impressed you were able to get so much walking in, that's fantastic.

Fitness-wise you are okay. I suggest though that if you do not have your boots already broken in that you wear them to work or on your lunch break walk or any other time you will be doing some walking.

Yep, I walked for about an hour yesterday afternoon and covered 3.25 miles. I was wearing my Merrell hiking shoes, and am glad I did. You're right, I definitely need to break them in.
On a related topic, I've read from some people that it's best to do the practice walks without a backpack at first, then introduce it later. A fellow pilgrim from my area told me yesterday that she recommends walking WITH the pack as soon as possible. I guess I'll try both and see how it goes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you have an hour a day that you can walk? That would be a good start.

Most days, yes. I walked for an hour yesterday and also last Friday. I'm definitely planning to walk as much as possible, I just don't have the schedule to accommodate 8-10 miles of walking in a single day. I'd have to quit my job and I'm not (financially) ready for retirement yet. :D

My husband and I are similar to you - Monday to Friday jobs busy a couple of week nights and I am very involved in our church. We started training last May for the Camino in September. We walked on Saturdays and built up to 15 km before adding our packs. We also walked 2 nights a week 8 km around our neighbourhood. By September we were walking 20-22 km on Saturdays with 22 lbs on our backs and 8 km 2 nights a week with the backpack. I wouldn't say we found the Camino easy but it wasn't as difficult as we anticipated either. Have a great time!

Ihave walked the Frances twice and was for ever short of training time. I got over this by increasing the weight in my rucksack to double the weight I would be carrying and doing shorter training walks. It worked for me. Good Luck

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My husband and I are similar to you - Monday to Friday jobs busy a couple of week nights and I am very involved in our church. We started training last May for the Camino in September. We walked on Saturdays and built up to 15 km before adding our packs. We also walked 2 nights a week 8 km around our neighbourhood. By September we were walking 20-22 km on Saturdays with 22 lbs on our backs and 8 km 2 nights a week with the backpack. I wouldn't say we found the Camino easy but it wasn't as difficult as we anticipated either. Have a great time!
Thanks. I've been doing more walking than usual this week, including 2 1-hour walks with my backpack at full load. Surprisingly, my pace was about the same with it as without (averaging about 17-18" per mile). I'm also really loving my hiking shoes. I got new insoles to replace the liners that came with the shoes and they're great. My calves seem to be getting stronger. Not sure if that's due to the increased walking, the shoes, the insoles, or my workouts.

If you take your time at the start and have more than 35 days before returning then you will do it easily , no training required.
Just normal daily exercise and when you have 3 hours to spare go for a 10-12km walk [7 miles] taking your time.
Stephen , they won't tell you have many stop @ Pamplona or later Burgos..........its all because they hurry in the first 5 days.
You will have a chance later to pick up the late 20's km/day.
You will be walking 6 hours min. each day for over a month..........you will get fit mate .................on the path,
Enjoy and early on take your time , its paramount.

Last edited:
I agree with those who have mentioned the importance of footwear and pack weight. They will make HUGE differences. I agree, even more than being "fit enough."

I would check your shoes on at least a couple long walks here and there before you go (I know you don't have the time to dedicate to this regularly, but even one or two long ones will tell you what you need to know re: shoes). Some shoes that feel fine at 5km suddenly are not up to the task at 10km or 20km. Check for blisters, hot or sore spots, and sore knees/hips. And remember that you will be repeating those distances each day on the trail, whereas at home you can rest, heal, adjust, etc, after each walk as needed. Like someone said, better to work out the kinks before you get on the trail.

For shoes, make sure you wear an extra half-size or even full size bigger than you normally wear. Hot weather + many kms = swollen feet!! Add in some downhill terrain where you toes repetitively bump the end of your shoes and you've got a recipe for blisters and lost toenails. Painful and could potentially derail your whole walk.

Re: pack, I would say practice walking with your pack early, and build up to your goal pack weight. Again, what feels totally fine at 5kg can give headaches at 15kg, etc. until you are used to it, and it might take a week to get used to it. Besides that, try to reduce the overall pack weight as much as possible. Again, the first day will feel "lighter" than the 10th day in a row. ;)

Buen Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
about 2-3 times per week and I like taking walks
Find hills and/or long staircases (like school stadiums). Add in extra core work (planks etc) and glute/thigh work (lunges). Is it possible for you to walk more, to and from work? (getting off Metro a stop earlier) Can you spend more time standing at your desk rather than sitting? That will help condition your feet and ankles. If you could be standing at your desk with the backpack on (not likely in DC, but perhaps) that would help too.

But as others have said, let nothing stand in the way of your Camino. You'll be fine, just slower than you might imagine.

I agree with those who have mentioned the importance of footwear and pack weight. They will make HUGE differences. I agree, even more than being "fit enough."

I would check your shoes on at least a couple long walks here and there before you go (I know you don't have the time to dedicate to this regularly, but even one or two long ones will tell you what you need to know re: shoes). Some shoes that feel fine at 5km suddenly are not up to the task at 10km or 20km. Check for blisters, hot or sore spots, and sore knees/hips. And remember that you will be repeating those distances each day on the trail, whereas at home you can rest, heal, adjust, etc, after each walk as needed. Like someone said, better to work out the kinks before you get on the trail.

For shoes, make sure you wear an extra half-size or even full size bigger than you normally wear. Hot weather + many kms = swollen feet!! Add in some downhill terrain where you toes repetitively bump the end of your shoes and you've got a recipe for blisters and lost toenails. Painful and could potentially derail your whole walk.

Re: pack, I would say practice walking with your pack early, and build up to your goal pack weight. Again, what feels totally fine at 5kg can give headaches at 15kg, etc. until you are used to it, and it might take a week to get used to it. Besides that, try to reduce the overall pack weight as much as possible. Again, the first day will feel "lighter" than the 10th day in a row. ;)

Buen Camino!!

Thanks, @JenCamino! Great suggestions. I've started wearing the hiking shoes a lot, particularly after work (they're not really work appropriate with my suit, LOL). I LOVE my shoes, and they are just right for me. I ended up buying a pair larger than I normally wear, in order to account for just the kind of swelling you mentioned. I think you're absolutely right about seeing how a shoe that does fine at 5K feels after 20. I will certainly try and get up to that larger number at some point. What I did notice over the weekend is that my calves were a little sore, although it was mostly just the left one. And the soreness is gone now. But that could easily have been from my workouts last week. My pack is super, and I mean SUPER light. I have nearly everything in there that I'm taking (apart from some pills, flip flops and sunscreen), and I'm still at <10 lbs. I deliberately got VERY lightweight clothing. I took the advice from other peregrinos about packing light.

Find hills and/or long staircases (like school stadiums). Add in extra core work (planks etc) and glute/thigh work (lunges). Is it possible for you to walk more, to and from work? (getting off Metro a stop earlier) Can you spend more time standing at your desk rather than sitting? That will help condition your feet and ankles. If you could be standing at your desk with the backpack on (not likely in DC, but perhaps) that would help too.

But as others have said, let nothing stand in the way of your Camino. You'll be fine, just slower than you might imagine.
Thanks, @Kitsambler. I can definitely do the extra core work, it's a feature of my boot camp workouts, as are lunges. Can't walk to/from work, unfortunately. I'd be walking 12 miles on an interstate, and that's just too dangerous. (Metro is a disaster in DC right now, I won't go into that...) But we are going on a cruise this weekend for 7 days, and I do plan on doing PLENTY of walking around the ship and on the islands we'll be visiting.

If you take your time at the start and have more than 35 days before returning then you will do it easily , no training required.
Just normal daily exercise and when you have 3 hours to spare go for a 10-12km walk [7 miles] taking your time.
Stephen , they won't tell you have many stop @ Pamplona or later Burgos..........its all because they hurry in the first 5 days.
You will have a chance later to pick up the late 20's km/day.
You will be walking 6 hours min. each day for over a month..........you will get fit mate .................on the path,
Enjoy and early on take your time , its paramount.

Thank you, @Thornley. I don't have 35 days, just 30. But I'm not absolutely wedded to walking every single kilometer. If I get closer in and discover I won't make it in 30 days, I'll simply skip ahead a bit. My main goals are to start in St Jean and end in Santiago. But I'm not above hopping on a bus to make up some of the distance, if necessary (except I MUST do the last 100 km on foot in order to get the certificate). I'm actually really enjoying the practice walks. I'm averaging 3.5 miles in an hour's walk, but that's not Spain in July, and I'm sure my overall pace will be slower when I'm stopping to air out my shoes, get food, drink water, etc. I will say that my pace didn't change from walking with a pack as opposed to without. I'm doing a mile in around 17-18 minutes. We shall see!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks!
I just turned 53 but a doctor told me I have the body of a 19 year-old. (Maybe he was just being kind) I attend a very vigorous fitness boot camp about 2-3 times per week and I like taking walks during my lunch hour. I just want to make sure I'm used to the long distances the Camino demands (bearing in mind, of course, that I can set my own pace as needed). Thanks!

Wow! I think you'll be fine. Even folks with no prep make it work after a couple days; you get fit fast!

More than the fatigue, you'll want to watch out for your knees. I doubt your bootcamp routine is preparing you for the intense downhill portions. I strongly suggest buying hiking poles, they help a lot no matter the terrain.

Buen Camino!

Wow! I think you'll be fine. Even folks with no prep make it work after a couple days; you get fit fast!

More than the fatigue, you'll want to watch out for your knees. I doubt your bootcamp routine is preparing you for the intense downhill portions. I strongly suggest buying hiking poles, they help a lot no matter the terrain.

Buen Camino!

So glad you mentioned that, @ChloeRose! I actually went shopping for trekking poles last week and wound up getting some nice ones from Black Diamond. A friend had recommended them. I just got them and am looking forward to adding them to my routine. (plus my backpack has built-in straps to hold them)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most days, yes. I walked for an hour yesterday and also last Friday. I'm definitely planning to walk as much as possible, I just don't have the schedule to accommodate 8-10 miles of walking in a single day. I'd have to quit my job and I'm not (financially) ready for retirement yet. :D

Hi, StepheninDC, I am in the "no training necessary if you are already fit" camp. Of course, our definitions of "fit" may vary, but I am 66 and active at home, and I do no specific training and walk a long camino every year. BUT... the one thing I will say is that all of the pavement might get to you, and I'm not sure that's really something you can train for. Particularly if you are fit and raring to go and want to walk long distances, you may find that on some of the stages you are walking on a LOT of asphalt. My heads up is just to pay attention to how that affects you. I try to ice my shins regularly as preventive care and also go to extremely ridiculous lengths to get off the asphalt and onto some sort of unpaved shoulder, which is usually available.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.