• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Infos about a pilgrim's way Trier-Metz-Reims?

Austernfischer

Time of past OR future Camino
From Wiesbaden, Germany to Rome: Wiesbaden - Basel - Lugano - Pavia (2010), Via Francigena Pavia - Rome (2011-2012)

Way back from Rome to home: Rome-Assisi (2012-2013), Assisi - Florence (2014), Florence - Bologna (2015), Bologna - Trento (2016), Via Claudia Augusta Trento - Mals (2017)

Mosel Camino to Trier (2013), Trier - Paris (2013 - 2016), Via Turonensis (2017 - ?)
Hello,

I'm searching for informations about a pilgrim's way from Trier (Germany) to Paris. I found a description of the way from Reims to Paris on

http://www.randonneurs-pelerins.com,

but I could not find any useful info regarding the way from Metz to Reims or the direct connection Trier - Luxembourg - Reims. Thanks very much for any informations or hints!

Austernfischer

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Look for the German-language guides from Conrad-Stein Verlag. Amazon.de carries them too. Can't miss them, the bright yellow covers.

Hi Kitsambler,

thanks. I'm aware of the Outdoor Guides from Conrad-Stein-Verlag; unfortunately, there are only descriptions of the Caminos from Trier to Vezelay and to Le Puy. It seems impossible to find a direct connection from Metz to Reims...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The route from Trier goes to Vezelay rather than Paris. It's covered in the Band 194 guide, Outdoorhandbuch "Jakobsweg Trier - Vezelay".

Alternatively there might be regional routes that make the connection in one go or could be stitched together to fit your needs. Perhaps you could contact the pilgrim association or cathedral office in Trier?

Hi SYates,

thanks for the answer. Yes, I already posted a similar question in ww.pilgerforum.de, with no success so far. Also, there is no long distance hiking trail (the "GRs" in french) or regional trails connecting Metz with Reims directly, as far as I could find out. Maybe it would be necessary to walk the E3 through Luxemburg and Belgium, and then from the belgian border to Reims. But it is difficult to find a description of this trail and the corresponding local routes as well.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm currently in southern Germany, walking with an iPhone gps app. The woods and fields are thick with trails, and every town has one or more local circuits, and regional routes, in addition to the Jakobsweg. My bet is that there are trails making the connection you seek; it's just a matter of finding a knowledgeable person on the ground in that area to identify the specifics. Let me go through the possible real-life resources again: cathedral office, Jakobsweg associations, municipal and provincial tourism offices, provincial hiking associations.

It's a long time ago since I raised this question, but just for information, we finally managed by ourselfs to find a way from Trier to Paris. We walked through Luxembourg via Trierweiler - Echternach - Larochette - Mersch - Redange, arriving in Arlon, Belgium. In Belgium to Etalle - Florenville and crossing the border to Douzy - Sedan in France.

From Sedan we hiked to Reims: Balaives-et-Butz - Launois-sur-Vence - Rethel - Houdilcourt - Reims. Then we had a marvelous tour through the Champagne region via Reims - Rilly-la-Montagne - Epernay, where we reached the river Marne.
Then we mainly followed the river to Dormans - Chateau-Thierry - Nanteuil-sur-Marne - La- Ferté-sous-Jouarre - Meaux - Esbly - Chelles- Vincennes - Paris Notre Dame - Paris Tour Saint-Jacques (starting point of the Via Turonensis).
We reached Paris at Saint Sylvester's Day 2016 at -6 °C / 21 °F and thick fog, but very happy :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Austernfischer,

I trust that you celebrated a splendid Réveillon de Saint-Sylvestre in Paris! Sorry that we were not at our farm located between Dormans and Chateau Thierry where we provide l'accueil pèlerins à domicile plus celebratory glasses of local bubbly.

May you continue to have a good New Year!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi Margaret,

Thanks very much, we had a splendid time in Chateau Thierry while there was a great festival dedicated to Jean de La Fontaine. And in Dormans we had the best champagne we ever tried which we bought at a local filling station :)

Wish you a happy New Year 2017 as well!

Austernfischer

a pilgrim's way from Trier (Germany) to Paris.
Yes, there is a route from Trier to Vezelay. There is a route guide in German (good maps and services info, useful even if you don't speak the language much) here: https://www.conrad-stein-verlag.de/...n=978-3-86686-408-5&edition=2&t=1484665307918 These are the famous 'yellow books', widely available in European bookstores or from the various Amazon sites in Europe.

From Vezelay onward you would use the Vezelay route guides (see separate section of the 'Route sin France' board here.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's a long time ago since I raised this question, but just for information, we finally managed by ourselfs to find a way from Trier to Paris. We walked through Luxembourg via Trierweiler - Echternach - Larochette - Mersch - Redange, arriving in Arlon, Belgium. In Belgium to Etalle - Florenville and crossing the border to Douzy - Sedan in France.

From Sedan we hiked to Reims: Balaives-et-Butz - Launois-sur-Vence - Rethel - Houdilcourt - Reims. Then we had a marvelous tour through the Champagne region via Reims - Rilly-la-Montagne - Epernay, where we reached the river Marne.
Then we mainly followed the river to Dormans - Chateau-Thierry - Nanteuil-sur-Marne - La- Ferté-sous-Jouarre - Meaux - Esbly - Chelles- Vincennes - Paris Notre Dame - Paris Tour Saint-Jacques (starting point of the Via Turonensis).
We reached Paris at Saint Sylvester's Day 2016 at -6 °C / 21 °F and thick fog, but very happy :)
Hi Austernfischer I will be a cycle pilgrim this time round and plan to ride from Paris to Épernay then turn south Via Campaniensis to Vézelay and on... I do not have any information about accommodation on the Paris to Épernay section. I'm sure there will be info at the Office de Tourisme but any help you have would be much appreciated.
Michael

Hi Austernfischer I will be a cycle pilgrim this time round and plan to ride from Paris to Épernay then turn south Via Campaniensis to Vézelay and on... I do not have any information about accommodation on the Paris to Épernay section. I'm sure there will be info at the Office de Tourisme but any help you have would be much appreciated.
Michael
For more on Paris to Epernay or Epernay to Paris as part of the route Reims/Paris see this recent French publication

https://www.boutique-pelerins.com/Presta/fr/accueil/1-guide-reims-paris-en-francais.html

Here in France there is often a Chain of Local Hospitality (donativo) offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here-- http://www.randonneurs-pelerins.com...on=com_content&view=article&id=107&Itemid=533

Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river along the Reims/Paris route
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back