• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances by bike with a cart - who's done this?

Mhel

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm going in 2017 for the first time
Hi there,

First time Camino Frances (first Camino ever anyway) for me.. Looking forward to it!
I've been reading the threads and I don't think I came across a thread about doing the Camino on a bicycle and with a small cart behind it (not bicycle bags). Maybe there is someone who has done it this way? What was your experience doing this? What cart did you take? Did you go through the Pyrenees? Did you only ride the bike trail or also the walking trail? Etc? Would love to hear tips if possible. I want to go in May/June of June/July, starting in The Netherlands.
So, I do not have any internet at my house at this time, so I will be able to see any response by tomorrow and respond to them. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've looked at a few video's on Youtube by searching "Camino biking" and they show some bikes with carts of different varieties. They also show the mountain tracks, rain and mud you would need to get through.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have seen it done this way. But it would be very difficult. That is why most bicyclists use panniers.

If you use a trailer with a bicycle, I recommend planning a road-only route. The only possible exceptions would be where the path is very flat and relatively smooth, like on the Meseta, between Fromista and Sahagun. The remainder of the Camino Frances is replete with hilly and uneven terrain that will apply a lot of torque to the mounting point for the trailer. Damage to both trailer and bicycle can easily result. There are some sections after Puente la Reina that are also relatively flat, but they are not very long, or constant.

Finally, if you ever share the Camino with walking pilgrims, PLEASE use a loud bell, early and often. They will thank you. IMHO, the "brrring, brrrring," Dutch style stad fiets-type bell is better than a simple one that only goes "ding, ding."

I hope this helps.

I've looked at a few video's on Youtube by searching "Camino biking" and they show some bikes with carts of different varieties. They also show the mountain tracks, rain and mud you would need to get through.

Thank you, I will look for it on Youtube!

I have seen it done this way. But it would be very difficult. That is why most bicyclists use panniers.

If you use a trailer with a bicycle, I recommend planning a road-only route. The only possible exceptions would be where the path is very flat and relatively smooth, like on the Meseta, between Fromista and Sahagun. The remainder of the Camino Frances is replete with hilly and uneven terrain that will apply a lot of torque to the mounting point for the trailer. Damage to both trailer and bicycle can easily result. There are some sections after Puente la Reina that are also relatively flat, but they are not very long, or constant.

Finally, if you ever share the Camino with walking pilgrims, PLEASE use a loud bell, early and often. They will thank you. IMHO, the "brrring, brrrring," Dutch style stad fiets-type bell is better than a simple one that only goes "ding, ding."

I hope this helps.

This helps a lot, thanks! I will buy a big bell haha!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whilst I have no actual experience of towing a cart I endorse @t2andreo comments about sticking to the roads. I do not really know what type of cart you are intending to use but I suggest one with tyres/wheels about half/two-thirds the diameter of standard bike (with tubes) would be suitable for some "off-road" touring.
After Pamplona you will need to take the turn off at Czur Menor and follow a number of back minor roads that will eventually lead you to the church at Eunate and from there to Puente La Reina; from Puente La Reina to Estrella again it will be the main road (N111) and even to Los Arcos & Viana. From there you could follow the rural roads/trails that the Camino follows through Logrono/Navarrete and Najera - in fact all the way to Villafrance Montes de Oca. From here into Burgos you will again need to find a minor road - this section (between Montes de Oca & Burgos) definitely not bike friendly.
From Burgos, as long as the weather cooperates you should be able to follow the walkers trail all the way through Leon to Astorga & even Rabanal. But there it will back on the roads.I suggest you get a copy of the Michelin "Camino de Santiago" guide as it has those minor side roads that Brierley ignores. Cheerso_O

Whilst I have no actual experience of towing a cart I endorse @t2andreo comments about sticking to the roads. I do not really know what type of cart you are intending to use but I suggest one with tyres/wheels about half/two-thirds the diameter of standard bike (with tubes) would be suitable for some "off-road" touring.
After Pamplona you will need to take the turn off at Czur Menor and follow a number of back minor roads that will eventually lead you to the church at Eunate and from there to Puente La Reina; from Puente La Reina to Estrella again it will be the main road (N111) and even to Los Arcos & Viana. From there you could follow the rural roads/trails that the Camino follows through Logrono/Navarrete and Najera - in fact all the way to Villafrance Montes de Oca. From here into Burgos you will again need to find a minor road - this section (between Montes de Oca & Burgos) definitely not bike friendly.
From Burgos, as long as the weather cooperates you should be able to follow the walkers trail all the way through Leon to Astorga & even Rabanal. But there it will back on the roads.I suggest you get a copy of the Michelin "Camino de Santiago" guide as it has those minor side roads that Brierley ignores. Cheerso_O

Thanks very much. I'm planning to buy a map of the Camino and just point out when to follow the walking trail and when to follow the bike trail. So this helpt a lot!

Thanks very much. I'm planning to buy a map of the Camino and just point out when to follow the walking trail and when to follow the bike trail. So this helpt a lot!
If you speak/read French reasonably well there is an excellent French Cycle Guide to the Camino Frances. The maps show the sections of the Camino you can ride and those you need to avoid. I have a copy - I could read the maps but the rest (the advice section) was a bit beyond my 50 years ago school French. I think it was available via Amazon.fr - but a search on google should find it. Cheers.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you speak/read French reasonably well there is an excellent French Cycle Guide to the Camino Frances. The maps show the sections of the Camino you can ride and those you need to avoid. I have a copy - I could read the maps but the rest (the advice section) was a bit beyond my 50 years ago school French. I think it was available via Amazon.fr - but a search on google should find it. Cheers.

I will give it a try of course, everything helps. I googled Cycle Guide to CF, it gives all kinds of results. Can you give me the exact name of the guide? Again, thanks very much!

I will give it a try of course, everything helps. I googled Cycle Guide to CF, it gives all kinds of results. Can you give me the exact name of the guide? Again, thanks very much!
Mhel - I am having similar search issues. When I find my copy will send you (via PM) the full details. Cheers

2015 I biked the CF. Rode a Bike Friday with the trailer. Many, far too many, kms of the CF I could not ride (bike with trailer) on the Camino.
Had to ride on road. Which I did not care for. Buses, cars, trucks zooming past me. Most, if not all, moved over when they saw me.

If you ride on the highway be careful!

Went the Val Carlos route with the bike. Going up was mostly pushing the bike. With trailer drag behind me. But I made it.

Was nice to have tent, gear, etc in the trailer. But was a bit over kill.

Walking the CF and the Ingles was much better.

I missed out on some of the CF by biking it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I rode the camino Frances this past September, traveling from SJPDP to Santiago.

on the ride, I think I saw one cyclist towing a cart. To repeat one of the earlier postings, with the cart you are limiting yourself to 'road only'.

You might want to re-think the whole cart idea. I saw some camino cyclists with both front & rear panniers and it looked as though they were able to transport quite a lot.

The hidden danger (I really hate to use that word) is that by using the cart you might overload yourself and you won't realize this until you are on some of your really long, tough climbs. Getting off and walking is always a fallback but it becomes more difficult if you are pushing a bike uphill and also pulling a cart.

buen camino

One thing that came to my mind, as you start in the Netherlands, is to take the cart with you until you hit one of the major Caminos (which route are you planning to take btw?) and then send it home and only continue with panniers/backpack. Do you have a friend/family member that would be willing to drive down and help you to switch over?

Buen Camino, SY

I rode the camino Frances this past September, traveling from SJPDP to Santiago.

on the ride, I think I saw one cyclist towing a cart. To repeat one of the earlier postings, with the cart you are limiting yourself to 'road only'.

You might want to re-think the whole cart idea. I saw some camino cyclists with both front & rear panniers and it looked as though they were able to transport quite a lot.

The hidden danger (I really hate to use that word) is that by using the cart you might overload yourself and you won't realize this until you are on some of your really long, tough climbs. Getting off and walking is always a fallback but it becomes more difficult if you are pushing a bike uphill and also pulling a cart.

buen camino
Hi Wally
Just a question , how long did you take to complete CF ? as I am planning to do exactly the same route in April , my first camino , cheers

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One thing that came to my mind, as you start in the Netherlands, is to take the cart with you until you hit one of the major Caminos (which route are you planning to take btw?) and then send it home and only continue with panniers/backpack. Do you have a friend/family member that would be willing to drive down and help you to switch over?

Buen Camino, SY

Thanks, I do think one of my friends would be willing to help me out. I just purchased a biking guide from Dhr. Sweerman, who has described the CF route per bike from Haarlem, but I'm still open for different routes.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back